Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale
Steve, how long are you going to be in Jackson Center? Ill be there in 3 weeks for a rally!!!
We'll be there for about three hours on the 8th of April. Have fun at your rally.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
I want a "Wally Congo" helmet!

What! You don't get a Blue Beret!

They don't even offer you one to buy!

What gives...... I think that a bunch of magaretta slushing, beer toting, wine sipping people running around with the blue berets on would be a riot!!! Just think you could upgade to the Wally Congo Helmet!!!! That would be so kewl, I could just see my whole family outfitted in "Wally Attire" What a blast!!!!!

I got to join just to do this!!
UpNorthAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
ALRIGHT LAURA!
I will be 65 on 4/10/08 and sometimes I think I am too young to belong to the WBCCI. Relax folks, its supposed to be a camping club not a classroom or a military bivouac. Most people don't join because of all the politics and BS that goes on in the WBCCI. We keep forgetting we are supposed to be a camping club. All the pomp and circimstance sure remind me of the military and if you were a career person, it is really nice, but for me I am a Nam veteran and the farther away I stay from all of that the better.
U.Buck says GOOD POST LAURA.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #44
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Thanks Uncle Buck! Your Support means a lot!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
alb , New Mexico
Wow! i am 29 and my wife is 21 and we are fairly new to the forum and owning a airstream.
I have my registation and check ready to mail to join the FCU and i have high hopes that it will be a wecloming comunity.
i cant wait to go on our first trip
Louie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
A lot of local units are great. It's when you attend State or International that things tend to get a little stuffy. I guess I like to have fun and relax without everybody giving you the evil eye for having a beer in your hand and harassing your neighbor. Laura knows about that.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi Laura,
You have a very interesting thread going. I was 18 when I joined the WBCCI and I am now 36 . At that time in 1989 I was the youngest member to have joined the WBCCI . I am a member of the Georgia Unit and I was welcomed with open arms and every time I attend a rally . I married in 2004 and my wife was welcomed as well. On Jan.18 2008 my wife gave birth to a beautiful little girl and the members of the GA unit are waiting until we can attend the rally in May so they can see and hold her. As far as the membership knows this will be the first child to be born into the GA unit.And they are all excited.We have a beautiful park nestled in the North GA mountains and would love for any you to stop by and stay a night or two or three and meet our members. Our unit has other families with small children and they are treated to trail hikes,games,cookouts and other fun activities for kids. I know all units have their on way of doing things and I just shared some of ours. We attended the Intenational rally in Perry , GA this past year and I thought it was awesome .All of those silver bullets and some cream color in one area was a sight to behold. We enjoyed it. Some of the meetings and so forth were formal but that is the structure for the officers. While others were having social gatherings by some shade trees and a grill or two .
Laura I hope you find a unit that you like and will be a happy airstreamer.Also there are forum rallies to if there are any of those in your area. Happy Travels .
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
ALRIGHT LAURA!
I will be 65 on 4/10/08 and sometimes I think I am too young to belong to the WBCCI. Relax folks, its supposed to be a camping club not a classroom or a military bivouac. Most people don't join because of all the politics and BS that goes on in the WBCCI. We keep forgetting we are supposed to be a camping club. All the pomp and circimstance sure remind me of the military and if you were a career person, it is really nice, but for me I am a Nam veteran and the farther away I stay from all of that the better.
U.Buck says GOOD POST LAURA.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #49

1973 25' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Thumbs up Young WBCCI-er's

As a woman in her mid-40's I am about to buy my first Airstream (or Argosy) and will join WBCCI. I have been to many rallys as a guest of my parents and often feel like a youngster. I wish it were a more diverse group with regard to age, but understand why - primarily for the reasons you listed. Nonetheless, I plan on joining and encouraging age diversity in the clud, but also will enjoy WBCCI as just one of many aspects of my Airstream life. Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing a 21 year old at a rally!
mqclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Yea!!!

Yea! I am sure you will have a great time with that crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie28
Wow! i am 29 and my wife is 21 and we are fairly new to the forum and owning a airstream.
I have my registation and check ready to mail to join the FCU and i have high hopes that it will be a wecloming comunity.
i cant wait to go on our first trip
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
An Aging Boomer's Point of View

I'll start by saying... great thread Laura! I only hope that some of the WBCCI officrs are reading it.

I expect to take delivery of my first AS in a ouple of weeks. I thought that ALL new AS owners joined the WBCCI but I'm beginning to wonder.

I recently saw a thread on the Save Wally forum about the dress code at Bozeman. Quite frankly I wanted to barf. "Navy jacket, gray slacks, white shirt, red tie, blue beret, dark shoes & socks... ...Dressy casual street wear may be worn as an alternative (no shorts please)"

Give me a break! Is this what the WBCCI really like? I don't own a navy jacket or a red tie. As a matter of fact, I don't even own ANY ties! I wear jeans, sweat pants and tees. If I'm getting dressed up I wear clean jeans. If I'm really getting decked out I'll dust off my khakis. Dark shoes? Well, I do have a pair of black Birks - but then I don't think Birks are allowed at International rallys.

I guess, technically, I'm retired. I "retired" a couple of years ago at 50. I think I might be too yooung to be retired so usually I just say "I'm unemployed and I hope to stay that way forever!" However, the upcoming generation of reirees is a lot different. Dinner at 5? I don't think so. We'll uncork a bottle at around 6:00 and sip on some wine and watch the sunset. Then we will begin to think about dinner - which is rarely before 8:00.

I'm an aging boomer. I like classic rock (Mozart and Bach too), I live in blue jeans (well sometimes shorts), a fine dinner out is the Range Cafe. I lived my working career in Washington DC so I've had my fill of dressing up, politics and expensive restaurants. I'm in a different point in my life now. I'm kicking back.

With that in mind, I'll be looking for that same "kicked back" attitude with any organization that I'm a part of now - especially one related to camping! Camping... yes, hiking, fishing (but I don't fish yet), cycling, petanque, poker, pot lucks at rallys and FUN! Pompous, power hungry, blue-blazered caremonies aren't my idea of camping fun. They're not my idea of fun period!

Anyhow, if someone in their 50's feels this way, I can only imaging what someone in their 40s, 30s, or 20s must feel.So, now that I've said all that, I will still join the WBCCI. Why? Because to join the Four Corners Unit I have to join the International organization. It won't be because they offer cheap air evacuation insurance.

Jim
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #52

1973 25' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Wbcci

WBCCI is made up of mostly older people. So, if they enjoy the way it is set-up and run, why should they make a drastic change? If younger people want the club to be something different and more suitable for them, they need to join and make the changes from within. How can you expect the older people to make a club for young people who aren't even there AND when the older people enjoy the dinner times, entertainment, cerimonies . . .? Should they be living the life style of younger people in the hopes of that being a carrot for younger people?

My parents are in their 70's and are happy members of WBCCI. I'm in my 40's and will join WBCCI (I am currently in the process of purchasing an Airstream). I hope to see more younger people join, and I hope I and they can leave our mark and influence on the club. I believe the club can be multi dimensional and meet the needs of all ages - if all ages are in the club first!
mqclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #53
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Thats what we are saying, we are trying to get across that young people want to join and may even want higher leadership in the club, but most older members dont like to see that. Im a member, and Im trying to change it, why do you think I started this thread?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale
Thats what we are saying, we are trying to get across that young people want to join and may even want higher leadership in the club, but most older members dont like to see that. Im a member, and Im trying to change it, why do you think I started this thread?
Laura - you're not the only one seeking change. This issue has come up before. Check out this poll. Looks like quite a few people want to see some change.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...poll-6349.html
Old 04-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #55
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
nice to see im not the only one! Thank you everyone for your thoughts and support!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Wow, age is really a relative thing. I have just turned 60, yup, another boomer! During the time I have owned my AS, I have thought long and hard about joining the WBCCI but can't decide. Frumpy jackets and hats don't cut it with me. Formal events are not interesting either.

Having fun? Yeah, but that is relative too. Sitting around a campfire drinking and whooping it up til the wee hours is not fun to me (it was 40 years ago though), however, happy hour is never denied. My wife and I love to explore new and different places using the AS as a base for our adventures. when we return from a day of what we enjoy, it is time for relaxation- kick back, have a few and listen to some good tunes. What we don't like is to be bothered by boisterous brats bouncing frisbees, balls or whatever off the side of our wonderful Silver Sausage. OK, I know Airstream folks with kids would never permit such a thing - just wanted to reference it. We like to bike - not set records, trail walking, enjoying nature is good to. Boating is a great pastime also. I guess what I am attempting to say is that age is not reason to classify all the same. I for one will never like the stodgy ways of what has been referred to in this post as the WBCCI.

Sure, join and make change - I can attest to the validity of that. A while back I started and acted as pres. for 5 years of a marque specific car club. Only a handful of folks were "do-ers" and this holds true everywhere. Unless there are a vast number of members willing to partake in ALL club hapenings, change will only come to the desire of the few who run the show.

If I only lived in a place where more AS club happenings occured, perhaps I could state with more concrete example of why or why not I should join the WBCCI. Until I experience the jacketed, or lack thereof, I will remain aloof - but really not by choice. You see, my wife and I really would like to be part of the greater AS community, but without the pomp and circumstance. We love our blue jeans and sneakers that go along with our carefree and casual lifestyle.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by romap
Wow, age is really a relative thing. I have just turned 60, yup, another boomer! During the time I have owned my AS, I have thought long and hard about joining the WBCCI but can't decide. Frumpy jackets and hats don't cut it with me. Formal events are not interesting either.... (snip) ...You see, my wife and I really would like to be part of the greater AS community, but without the pomp and circumstance. We love our blue jeans and sneakers that go along with our carefree and casual lifestyle.
Very well said.

Now, short of volunteering, running for office etc etc, how do we get the current "Commanders" sit up and notice that this is the sentiment of many members (and would-be members)???
Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Young? We attended our first WBCCI function in Cody at the Yellowstone National Rally 2 years ago. We were speaking with a couple at happy hour and they were very excited about all the caravans and rallies they had lined up for the summer. They also booked a whitewater rafting trip, class III and IV. They were always trying new things. Gave up Snow Skiing when they turned 75.

We are young by WBCCI standards. Our kids are 16 and 13 and we are in our 40s....still working. I agree with many of your points. We are attending our second International this summer and planning the trip from GA to Bozeman with another couple from GA.

We do attend 1 or 2 unit rallies each year and the folks there are nice...mostly retired. They are all in the same spot, since our unit has a very nice CG and at $7 for full hookups and WIFI it's hard to beat. We are not yet able to devote a month to a caravan, but wish there were more Weekend Rallies. The WDCU has some really neat rallies and we hope to attend one soon.

Best option for getting more young folks in the club...invite them and bring them to a rally. Pick one they will enjoy. The International can be a blast, if you don't let the formal program get in the way.

See you down the road.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Matt the Top is a neat place to visit, love Helen and the German foods. I am sure that there will be many coming from the Top to Bozeman, looking forward to seeing you there.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Another thought

This was posted quite a while ago. I was a pretty long post so I pulled out the highlites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an Airforums member about 5 years ago
I recently attended my first International Rally. I was a bit overwhelmed by all the pomp and circumstance I encountered at the rally. What does everyone else think about this? Are these rituals needed?
He went on to quote an article that appeared in the Blue Baret around 5 years ago. Here's a part of that article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...
“Why do we have to have rituals or traditions? Why don’t we have just an organization with officers and bylaws governing our business meetings and let it go at that?

snip... The traditions of the Club are enhanced by our uniforms and ceremonies. These symbols were adopted by the members to separate the Club from the mere mundane, casual business or travel organization.

snip... Let’s keep our Club and its traditions strong and vibrant.
I just want to ask this - isn't the fact that it's an Airstream club for Airstream owners only enough to elevate the club above the mundane?