Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Wounded Warrior

My wife and I have contributed to this cause for ten years now and we were pleased when the WBCCI took this cause on as one we supported as members of the club. As with most charities we at least always wonder if our money is well used by the people running the charity.

I've got a personal story which affirms the importance of this charity. Since my retirement, one year today, I've volunteered at a new dog rescue in Pittsburgh, PA. We take all breeds and all temperaments, rehabilitate those needed help and do some training as well which is what I do along with our certified trainer and behaviorist. Recently we took a dog in which was severely abused from Animal Control in another state. He had been beaten in the head with a baseball bat and then dragged behind a truck all because he would not perform properly as a bait dog in a dog fighting training ring. We got him and two others, he was very frightened and withdrawn, which is my specialty in dog training. We got him out of his shell in a week or so and he bloomed. A more loving dog of everyone and everything we have not had.

Now to my point, sorry for the length; a month later a young Marine with severe PTSD came to our shelter looking for a companion dog. He had two kids, divorced, living alone in an one bedroom apartment and getting treatment from the VA for his injuries and the PTSD. I showed him several dogs and then told him the story of Gopher our dog who had been through hell and back. They bonded at once and after an hour he decided to fill out an application and proceed from there. We continued to work with Gopher for the month and prepare him as an Emotional Support Dog for this Marine. The real point is this; the Marine had a jacket on a Wounded Warrior jacket and I asked them if they had helped him. He said "Wounded Warrior saved my life". They keep me focused on things other than my PTSD, take me on trips, coach me and are going to help financially with Gopher.

So, it satisfied my wife and I and I hope this takes any question anyone might have about Wounded Warrior out of their minds. I know there has been some internet garbage going around about them, its not true. According to this young man and several others who have now come to us, Wounded Warrior is a key part of their lives.

Take Care

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
Old 01-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A nice story, and a worthy cause.

Maggie
Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I have problems with the Wounded Warrior Project as a charity to send my money to.

1 - Wounded Warrior Project only helps those wounded after 9/11. Not First Gulf War or any conflict before that. What makes post-9/11 soldiers more worthy of assistance than any who came before?

2 - According to tax statements that are online (as an NPO their tax statements are public record and you too can find them if you care to look) they are so well-funded that they make about $2,000,000 per year just off their investments and have over $130 million in assets. With that kind of funding they don't need MY money! Or yours.

Wounded Warrior Project does some good work within the limits of their charter. But I'd rather send my money to a charity that actually needs it.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X2

I have the same concerns.
As a VN disabled Vet I work thru the local chapter of the Marine Corps League.

Semper-fi

Bob
Old 01-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
This a HUGE problem within the WBCCI

Charity projects are one of the things that really get to me in the WBCCI.

It appears as if the WBCCI hierarchy do absolutely no investigating when recommending money raising functions.

Perhaps it is because that the old guys within the entrenched reign of powerbrokers do not know how to use the internet.

A five minute search revealed the following results from CharityNavigator dot Org:

Program Expenses (Percent of the charity’s total expenses spent on the programs and services it delivers) 57.7%
Administrative Expenses 5.7%
Fundraising Expenses 36.5%
Fundraising Efficiency $0.25
Primary Revenue Growth 77.5%
Program Expenses Growth 80.0%
Working Capital Ratio (years) 1.04

In other words, the fund raising expenses of the Wounded Warrior Project take up 36.5 cents of every dollar donated to the charity, and only 57.7 cents of each donated dollar actually go to the projects you see listed in the benefits.

Not a very good investment in my opinion.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Great cause. I believe we owe our wounded Veterans and their families a debt we can never repay. The Wounded Warrior project has done great things. I was a donor for years until it took a highly partisan anti-gun stance in 2012.

Charity is a lucrative business. Charity execs are some of the highest paid. We each I guess have to decide, with our donations, when things have tipped.

There are many great organizations out there....

Semper Fi Fund
Special Operations Warrior Project
Warriors and Quiet Waters
Montana Wounded Warriors
Navy Seals Foundation
Old 02-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I would continue to encourage anyone and everyone to support this charity, and to research for themselves the thankful service men and women who have benefited from the programs and the profound impacts they have had on their lives before succumbing to naysayers with regard to this outstanding charity.

It might not be the most efficient system, but it's the best those Soldiers have right now. I would further challenge anyone here to make one better. After all, anyone can point out a problem, but the heroes, leaders, and role models are the ones who come up with solutions.

It is currently the trend to "support our troops," but over time as the popularity fades, and the "support our troops" mentality shifts to something else these (read as any military related) charities will receive little to no interest. Knowing several who have benefited from the wounded warrior project, especially their transition, job placement, and ongoing assistance, I would say this is an excellent program.

Yes it placed a time stamp on whom it would serve, but it's focus is the current generation of multiple deployments with long term injuries. Operation Iraqi Freedom was a decade, and many served three plus tours, and I know of some with seven. However the greatest take away is none of these conflicts can be compared to each other as they were all completely and totally different, much like a deployment today from one year to the next is completely and totally different.

This charity did not choose the delineation date lightly, but more to focus on the younger generation with less assistance in this modern society of barely connected community. To create a community to assist these Soldiers' transition. They also did it so when the Soldiers returned they would not be spurned and feel alone as with Vietnam. They were focusing on the here and now.

In essence gentlemen, I am agreeing to disagree.

Wayward, thank you for posting alternatives
Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
And I am agreeing to disagree with your opinion...the "time stamp" is pointless.
If you want to help VETS help them all.
What we need is a system that requires the entire citizenry to be invested in the Military....instead of todays 1%.

Bob
Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
What we need is a system that requires the entire citizenry to be invested in the Military....instead of todays 1%.

Bob
Bob, on this we can completely agree. I understand the source of your issue with much better clarity now. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Wounded Warrior

The entire citizenry does contribute. In the form of taxes. The VA is a good example of how our money is wasted. I don't want the government handling any of the money that goes to our vets. They deserve better.
I want to know why there isn't a track chair provided for every vet that needs one. Lord knows they have earned it.
We just spent over $20,000,000 sending the president on a 2 week vacation. And all he wants is more of our money.
I agree that the heads of these charity organizations get paid way too much.
I am always hearing about how we should be better stewards of our land or whatever.
How 'bout we demand better stewardship of our money?
I will continue to give to the Wounded Warrior and Independence Fund. They do good work.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 02-14-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Wounded Warrior is so well-capitalized now that they're practically self-sustaining. When they can literally make millions in interest each year just off of past donations that they've invested, they certainly don't need the few thousands that WBCCI members collectively donate each year. There's a phrase that applies here: "A drop in the bucket."

Whether you think Wounded Warrior does good work or not, the dollars don't lie. There are a lot of equally worthwhile charities, including veteran-related charities, that need our money a lot more. Such as Independence Fund.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Mega church or mega charity. A great way to get rich.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

"The VA is a good example of how our money is wasted. I don't want the government handling any of the money that goes to our vets. They deserve better."
----------------------------------

You have the right in a free society to feel as you will towards the government and how it 'wastes' your money.

But a blanket smear with such a wide brush is not helpful.

Do you have first hand experience with the VAMC?.... have you been treated there?
I have, and I know how much the system has improved since my first visits in 1971.

If it wasn't for 'your' money, myself and all the other Vets, service connected or not, would be without the benefits they so 'deserve'. Thank You

Bob
Old 02-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Phoenix VA, Ft. Collins VA. And the list goes on.
As a veteran of the Vietnam Era.
I have been denied benefits.
BECAUSE I MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY AND HAVE ASSETS!!!!
AND YES! I AM SCREAMING!!!

Old 02-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Phoenix VA, Ft. Collins VA. And the list goes on.
As a veteran of the Vietnam Era.
I have been denied benefits.
BECAUSE I MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY AND HAVE ASSETS!!!!
AND YES! I AM SCREAMING!!!

Scream away....thats your right.

I'm only referencing VA disability benefits, I know of no asset restrictions.
If John McCain can qualify.....maybe you need a better advocate.

Bob
Old 02-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If there are no restrictions. Why does it take months or years before a deserving vet can get thru the piles of red tape to receive his/her rightly deserved benefits?
The VA should be providing anything and everything a vet needs. Including track chairs and prosthetics.
These men and women have earned it.
It should not take a separate charity. WOUNDED WARRIORS or OTHER PRIVATE CHARITY to get them what they need?
It's a defenseless argument. Making excuses for a poorly run operation.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
"If there are no restrictions. Why does it take months or years before a deserving vet can get thru the piles of red tape to receive his/her rightly deserved benefits?"

Maybe it's because we've been "fighting" undeclared war since 1990.
It took my first review 4mos in 1972. Approved
It took my second review in 2012 18mos. Approved
My third in Jan 2015 pending.

'A defenseless argument'... ok, thats your interpretation, I do not share it.

Bob
Old 02-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I am glad you are happy with that kind of service.
My expectations are higher than yours when it comes to serving our veterans.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I am glad you are happy with that kind of service.
My expectations are higher than yours when it comes to serving our veterans.

Please keep your vituperative estimation of my expectations to yourself....I'm very satisfied with the care I've gotten.
Your life experience may be different and and that's understandable, but don't question my level of commitment.

Bob
Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
The OP posted about Wounded Warrior. As a 24 year vet of the U.S. Army, I have both good and bad things to report on the VA...As I fall out side the Wounded Warrior program criteria, i can't support a charity that has those type boundaries. Any and all donations I now make go to the Salvation Army....nothing to do with soldiers, everything to do with "Doing the most good for all"
Closed Thread