Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Winter Caravans....

Greetings all;

This might be a stupid question (and posted in the wrong place) but I'm a new member of WBCCI and have noted that there does not seem to be "Winter Caravans". When I say winter I'm talking about anytime from Nov - April.

There seems to be (many) retired people who are members of WBCCI and one would think the Canucks alone would fill several caravans trying to get out of the snow and cold.

I know in our case, we would be interested in taking part in Caravans etc, but they all seem to be in the spring, summer and fall months. That is just not good timing for us.... Got to love the farmers who work on the "AAA of Life" - April, August and Aizona....

With luck someone can shed a bit of light on this topic for me as I might be missing something here.

Thanks

Doug
Old 06-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Welcome to WBCCI. It is a good question.

I think you have made an accurate observation. And yes, you pretty much have to be retired to go on caravans. Christmas and the holidays might be a factor. Many of us who could caravan already have a place to winter where it is warm. So if we left to go on a caravan we would be paying 3 times, once for the house back home, once for the Florida resort, and thirdly for the caravan. We share Travelers Rest Resort with many Canadians trying to get warm for the winter. You might check into TRR. It is somewhat like being on a caravan except that you do not move the rig.
I think what we have now for caravans in the WBCCI are that the more poplar caravans from the past are the ones that are still going. It takes volunteer leaders and enough people who sign up to go to keep a caravan running. It appears to be somewhat difficult to get a new caravan to "take" and to stay in place for a long time. Places to go safely in a winter caravan are probably somewhat limited. I can not imagine taking a big caravan into Mexico now.
And a winter caravan might not be that good for northerners and Canadians in that you still have to get to and from the caravan (I am assuming the caravan itself will be in a warm spot) and that could mean having to pull in snow and ice anyway.
Check the Cajan caravan. I thought we went in March when we went.
There may be local units who do winter trips. The WBCCI website lists national caravans. There may be locally run trips or caravans that you could join out of units like 4 corners and Landyact harbor and Music city in Nashville for example. I could see a local unit organizing a trip to the Rose bowl rally, for example.
If you are looking for a full time job at no pay and only some expense money you could consider trying to organize and start a winter caravan. But my expectation is that it will be hard to consistently attract enough people to do it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for the comments Bill - your comments are probably hitting the nail right on the head.
Thanks again

Doug
Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
It is somewhat like being on a caravan except that you do not move the rig.
A caravan that doesn't move? What a novel idea! It might even replace rallies!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Seems like some one was telling me about a Caravan in FL. This winter. Don't recall a name, but Alumaflamingo was one of the stops .
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Seems like some one was telling me about a Caravan in FL. This winter. Don't recall a name, but Alumaflamingo was one of the stops .
Thanks for this Rick. Looking at the WBCCI site it looks like they ran a Florida caravan back last winter in Feb. But there does not seem to be anything for the winter of 2015.

To bad!

Cheers
Doug
Old 06-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I will be 63 next month and retired for 5 years. My wife turns 60 two days before she retires October 1 this year. We would love some caravans over the winter months down south because we hate hot weather. We are also to young to take the trailer south just to let it sit. If we want to let it set , it will set the winter months beside our house and we will enjoy the holidays and winter with our three kids and their families. Airstreams were made to travel NOT set!!!!
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I will be 63 next month and retired for 5 years. My wife turns 60 two days before she retires October 1 this year. We would love some caravans over the winter months down south because we hate hot weather. We are also to young to take the trailer south just to let it sit. If we want to let it set , it will set the winter months beside our house and we will enjoy the holidays and winter with our three kids and their families. Airstreams were made to travel NOT set!!!!
If you can't FIND a caravan that's to your liking, MAKE one! The WBCCI webpage has plenty of guidance in PDF files for caravan leaders or would-be caravan leaders, and you don't have to belong to WBCCI to visit the webpage and download those documents.

Even if you can't find a caravan and don't want to make your own, come south anyway. All the way from Texas to Georgia, there are State Parks and Corps of Engineers campgrounds that only allow stays of 15 days or less, and so aren't booked solid with snowbirds hunkered down to wait out the winter. Except for around Mardi Gras time in the New Orleans area, I have yet to find a Corps of Engineers campground or State Park south of I-20 that's booked solid in the winter months.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Do these Corp of Engineers campgrounds only allow Service people?
Thanks

Doug
Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I'm with you on the Travelling business - That's why I purchased an airstream! If I wanted to park myself in the south I would just be like the rest of the snowbirds and buy a park model someplace.
Cheers
Doug
Old 06-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
A a side note - I have confirmed that WBCCI plans another Florida Caravan in 2016. I spoke to the folks who guided it in last winter and they confirmed that the plan is to run it every second year.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Yes, you don't have to be in a caravan to enjoy warmer weather. I meet plenty of Canucks here in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and old Mexico all through your winter. Our 4 Corners Unit has Rally's in a lot of our winter months which your welcome to join.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have tried for ANY activities in the local chapters but it is difficult as EVERY event falls smack dab in the middle of a week and a time that I cannot go. There are traveling groups in FL during the winter but you may have to look at the chapter activities listings.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Do these Corp of Engineers campgrounds only allow Service people?
Thanks

Doug
Nope. Open to the public. Almost every Corps of Engineers campground is located on a lake or river that is maintained by the Corps. And they can be found in 44 of our 50 states.

Some are primitive. Some have water and/or electric hookups. Most with hookups have dump stations rather than sewer hookups, though.

And best of all, most accept the National Park Service "America the Beautiful" Senior Pass and Access Pass for half-price discounts. Can't beat camping by a lake for just $9 or $10 a night!

You can find more information on CoE campgrounds here: www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway
Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Winter camping

WBCCI ran a Baha mexico caravan until about 5 years ago. It was in Jan and feb but, is deemed too dangerous today.
The cajun is two weeks in late feb or early march.
The florida fantasy is feb and march (great caravan)
I can usually find a campground I like in the everglades or a florida park to fill the rest of the winter.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for the info Winterfoot - I was not aware of the Cajun one

Cheers
Doug
Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
The Cajun Caravan is fantastic--in my opinion--for a variety of reasons. It is only 2 weeks so a good way to judge if you like this kind of travel. That part of Louisiana is very interesting in history, food & music. You have the opportunity to interact with many of the local people in the area. And, it is just plain FUN!
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tex4Fun View Post
The Cajun Caravan is fantastic--in my opinion--for a variety of reasons. It is only 2 weeks so a good way to judge if you like this kind of travel. That part of Louisiana is very interesting in history, food & music. You have the opportunity to interact with many of the local people in the area. And, it is just plain FUN!
I will need to look this up on the WBCCI site and see when it is
Thanks

Doug
Old 06-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
WBCCI Caravans » Future Caravans 2015

Damon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post