View Poll Results: Will you leave the WBCCI if the MOHO motion passes?
Leave if/when it passes? 25 19.23%
Will not renew membership for 2008? 48 36.92%
Will stay, no matter what? 36 27.69%
Will stay and fight to get it over turned? 21 16.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #113
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Reason to join: To get in on a good fight! Just kidding, but the last two years or so you'd think that would be the number one reason.

Personally, I would say to become a member of a long standing tradition of one of the oldest (I think Tin Can Tourist is older, but not 100% sure) camping clubs in the world and to share in camaraderie with like minded people in their love of the most unique and enduring brand in the RV industry (at least while it remains a one brand club (including Argosy)). My wife was neither one way or the other except for the tradition that came with the club.

I wanted to join for the red numbers. But not just the numbers but what they represent. To me they represent a sense of belonging to a unique fraternity of RV enthusiast that are in it for the long haul; RV'rs that know and respect the longevity of Airstreams and the fact that their trailers and motorhomes will be around long after we are gone; RV'rs that want to share the experience and the quirks of Airstreams; and to share the attention that the brand (including Argosy) gets when a group pull into a campground and see the heads turn as they pass by as they find their rally sites; and to share with fellow Airstreamers the stories and anecdotes that go with the exclusivity of the brand.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #114
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Tom- You are correct in that Tin Can Tourists are an older club. They were formed back in 1919 and received their state charter the following year. They are holding in there with about 500 +/- members right now and have a really great time together.

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
After owing an Airstream for 13 years I joined the WBCCI. Not sure why. I guess it was just to keep my deceased uncles numbers in the family and possible have access to the Airstream parks while on the road.

Now after about a year and a halves membership and having gone to one WBCCI rally and 3 Forum rallies I will stick around just to have access to the Forum rallies. Clearly I would never again consider a WBCCI rally. I had more freedom and fun in basic training and see no reason to subject myself to that level of regimentation at this point in my life.

The cost of membership in the WBCCI will just have to be endured as an expense.

Original I had been thinking why not discuss with Airstream a hostel takeover of the WBCCI and writing a somewhat less restrictive constitution that would relate only to Airstreams. But I soon realized the Forumís membership is not buying as many new rigs as the Grand Boobahs. And money is still the name of the game.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #116
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Andy said it in his reply, Fellowship with peers. Each of the 140 or so units has its own personality and a member must find one which fits them. You are lucky to be in Virginia, so try the Washington DC Unit.

If you were in Colorado, I would suggest the Denver Unit, in Arizona or New Mexico, the new 4CU , in So Cal, El Camino Real. Where else can you meet and stay with 15 to 50 fellow Airstream owners (many more with a Vintage Airstream Club rally)?

Bill
Local units are great. There are many of them that seem to "get it." And they should all be experienced. As we all know, it's mostly on the International level where things break down. "Where else can you meet and stay with 15 to 50 fellow Airstream owners?" Take a look at the Rally calender. A quick scan will show 24 Rallies being promoted. And by my count, 12 of those 24 rallies are open to the non-wbc Airstream owners of the world. Forum rallies, buddy rallies, fiestas, conventions, cook offs, music fests ... and there's probably more! Isn't it possible to share fellowship and comraderie at these venues too?

Yes, the wbcc was a unique fraternity in the old days. It had honor; respect for its members; and a real sense of adventure. Unfortunately, the International leadership lost its way many years ago and became a different kind of fraternity. Chasing after the almighty dollar can corrupt even the most sincere folk. Agendas, talking points, hiding behind Robert's Rules and using "spin" becomes SOP for those who want to insulate themselves from their membership.

Yes Mr. Cipot, it is still possible to convince me. I, too, am a sucker for tradition. There are many local units I would love to join. The WDCU would be a perfect fit. I just can't send my money right now to the International folks. And it's obvious by his actions and dismissive contempt for the general masses that the IP wouldn't know Wally if he walked into him. A "Let them eat cake" attitude usually leads to revolution. And I believe the International leaders to be uneducatable as presently constituted.

I grew up in Missouri. Show me the nuts and bolts (rivets?) of your plan Mr. Cipot. Vacuous cheerleading is simply not enough.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorbie1
Local units are great. There are many of them that seem to "get it." And they should all be experienced. As we all know, it's mostly on the International level where things break down. "Where else can you meet and stay with 15 to 50 fellow Airstream owners?" Take a look at the Rally calender. A quick scan will show 24 Rallies being promoted. And by my count, 12 of those 24 rallies are open to the non-wbc Airstream owners of the world. Forum rallies, buddy rallies, fiestas, conventions, cook offs, music fests ... and there's probably more! Isn't it possible to share fellowship and comraderie at these venues too?

Of course it is possible. But how many of those rallies are within 150 miles of your home? The two WBCCI units to which we belong have most of their rallies (over 12) within that distance. There has been only one forum rally within that distance.

Also look at post #55 here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...t-32303-3.html for more of my reasons to stay.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Thorbie1,

I'm 43 yrs old, wife and a 5 yr old little girl. We join the WDCU when she was 3 months old. Pretty much all of our vacation time is spent at WBCCI rallies. You got kids? If you do, I'd say it's the best thing you could do for them. When I go to a rally, I know, I have 20-50 people looking out after my child, she has friends from NY to PA, NH to VA. She looks forward to seeing her friendds at the rallies and is upset if they don't make it. She has people that care for her as if she were their own.

Plus, you will find people on the internet tend to come and go. You have people that have been is this club 30+ years. You really think the "airforums" rallies will still be held 30 years from now? Maybe, Maybe not. I'm hosting a forums rally later this fall in the Shenandoah Valley. The first people out of the gate to ask, "You need help?" was people from the WDCU.

People in the WBCCI tend to lookout for each other and help at the drop of a hat. I don't agree with everything the leaders of this club do either. But, if I'm not here trying, I can't b*tch.

Just like voting. I don't like everything the boys do on capital hill, but it does not mean I don't vote.

I'll tell you what. You join the WDCU for the rest of this year and next. Make a real effort to come to our rallies and have fun, if you don't think it was worth the $$, I'll give you your money back! How that for a reason!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #119
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Of course it is possible. But how many of those rallies are within 150 miles of your home? The two WBCCI units to which we belong have most of their rallies (over 12) within that distance. There has been only one forum rally within that distance.
I felt the same way about the lack of nearby forum rallies. Then, I dug in my heels and decided that if there wasn't something I wanted nearby then I'd just make it happen. So Mr RedSHED and I organized a rally. Pretty easy, actually. Any forum member can do it. Pick a date and a location, announce it and see what happens. Give it a try, its fun!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #120
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
After owing an Airstream for 13 years I joined the WBCCI. Not sure why. I guess it was just to keep my deceased uncles numbers in the family and possible have access to the Airstream parks while on the road.

Now after about a year and a halves membership and having gone to one WBCCI rally and 3 Forum rallies I will stick around just to have access to the Forum rallies. Clearly I would never again consider a WBCCI rally. I had more freedom and fun in basic training and see no reason to subject myself to that level of regimentation at this point in my life.

The cost of membership in the WBCCI will just have to be endured as an expense.

Original I had been thinking why not discuss with Airstream a hostel takeover of the WBCCI and writing a somewhat less restrictive constitution that would relate only to Airstreams. But I soon realized the Forumís membership is not buying as many new rigs as the Grand Boobahs. And money is still the name of the game.
Howie-

I would like to suggest that if you have the time visit the New England Unit web site. We have a great rally planned for Columbus Weekend up near Mystic CT. The Lost Dutchman Rally. Lots of fun events planned and stuff for the kids and the kids in us! Check it out and see what the next generation of WBCCI is doing! Would love to have you!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We are staying as long as we can get into the Airstream parks, when they are full of SOB's and have no room for us we will drop out.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
There are many of us out here that can help raise this club out of the ashes with the right leaders in place.
I'm sorry but this statement of yours is a perfect example of what's wrong with America today. I see this all the time in the other organizations I'm involved with. Let somebody else go to all the trouble to fix the problem, and then if I like the result, I'll get involved. In the meantime, I'll just throw spears.

Wouldn't it be better to join with us and be a part of the solution?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #123
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Alexandria , Virginia
I did not know this until I was asked earlier on this thread but one of the rallies I am attending later this month is 387 miles away from where I am located and the other is 114 miles away. At the closer of the two rallies, I volunteered to help cook dinner for the group when the rally was first announced.

I would also like to say that I was very impressed with Mr. Kerfoot's referenced post #55 and hope that you and your wife continue to enjoy your relationship with your units. I would also like to someday take Mr. Waddell up on his generous offer of a money back guarantee but I cannot in good consciousness contribute to the International organization at this time. At this point in my life I don't believe I need to pay $56 or $75 for the privilege of camping with family and friends. I can do that quite nicely without the wbcc. The VAC, CAC, WDCU, FCU (congratulations!), ECR, SC, NEU, NY-Metro, etc., are all terrific, up and coming units and I would join them all but for the International aspect that is involved. It's a matter of principle to me. I know it will never happen but, "Wouldn't it be nice to just join the local unit and not the International?"

Mr. Godfrey, I truly hope you enjoy your first rally. And it's an International one to boot! Good luck to you. I have had the great good fortune to meet some of the original "Jack Rabbits" and Airstreamers with single digits. I vividly recall digging gopher holes for my relatives and their friends in my younger days. I attended 6 Internationals during the 60s. I have also owned 4 different Airstreams since 1985. My first Airstream, however, wasn't really an Airstream you see. It was (gasp!) an Argosy! Starting in 1985, I was on the front lines fighting to get into the wbcci. I used to write to the EC regularly making suggestions. I was the fool waving my deceased family member's old wool beret, with its tassle still perfectly in tact, asking why my money wasn't any good! 10 years before they allowed Argosies and mohos into the club I was a wbcc streamer without a club to call home.

My spears are not meant for any single person or unit. It has been said that all politics are local and there is a lot of truth to this cliche. Some of the local, more progressive units are thriving and everybody needs to figure out what they are doing right or face extinction. My "spears" are reserved solely for the hypocrites at the top and those that want to get there with nothing more than a couple of verses of "Kumbaya" and "We Are The World" for their slogans. It is getting old!

Now it's your turn to get involved. But keep a close eye on the narcissistic self-promoters who will say anything to become your leader and who then flip-flop their positions depending on how the wind is blowing on any particular day. Pin them down by asking about their vision, the specific and concrete goals that they want to achieve, their ideas and theories on how to best accomplish their goals, and then hold them accountable. Challenge them honestly and fairly and you might be pleasently surprised when they exceed your expectations.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #124
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
As many know, the members of the IBT have talked about the number of members that would be "forced to leave" the WBCCI if the Motorhome motion is not passed later this year. What I wonder is how many members will "choose to leave" if this motion is passed?
Here's where we all began on this thread boys and girls. A simple hypothetical question. I just joined the club last year and I'm loving it! My wife and 6 year old love it 2. Does the club have problems? Of course. If the motion is passed (it won't) I'll be very disappointed...and grit my teeth when I hand over my dues. But hand them over I will. I'm staying put. I'm having too much fun. When it's no longer fun I'll move on. Peace!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #125
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Pin them down by asking about their vision, the specific and concrete goals that they want to achieve, their ideas and theories on how to best accomplish their goals, and then hold them accountable. Challenge them honestly and fairly and you might be pleasently surprised when they exceed your expectations.
While I respectively agree with your comments in the quote above, I respectively disagree with your comments in the quote below...

Quote:
...But keep a close eye on the narcissistic self-promoters who will say anything to become your leader...
Your statement labeling future leaders as "narcissistic self-promoters" is a general, sweeping label that many people will take offense to and therefore is not constructive in any manner. It is derogatory and assuming things that may not be true. I understand you have years of experience that other new leaders may not have -- you have been in the trenches but you seem to be battle weary and sore. That statement will not help the situation. That's my $.02 on the situation.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #126
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebfa
While I respectively agree with your comments in the quote above, I respectively disagree with your comments in the quote below...

Your statement labeling future leaders as "narcissistic self-promoters" is a general, sweeping label that many people will take offense to and therefore is not constructive in any manner. It is derogatory and assuming things that may not be true. I understand you have years of experience that other new leaders may not have -- you have been in the trenches but you seem to be battle weary and sore. That statement will not help the situation. That's my $.02 on the situation.
There are many different kinds of problems in our lives.

That's why we work "together" to try to solve them.

In that way, those that try to find a solution to any problem, by working together, may or may not find a solution. But they tried.

But, trying to be a part of a solution, is far better than being a part of the problem, regardless of the problem.

Andy