Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Will you leave the WBCCI if the MOHO motion passes?
Leave if/when it passes? 24 18.60%
Will not renew membership for 2008? 48 37.21%
Will stay, no matter what? 36 27.91%
Will stay and fight to get it over turned? 21 16.28%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #101
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I applaud you Rick. A new infusion of active members is exactly what the club needs to bring it into the 21st century. I am willing to support anyone who is willing to take that step and lead this club the way it should be led.
Thank you for your support! It is people like you that have given me the need to become active and support our up and coming members. There is no reason for any member to be left behind because they have two jobs and two kids and want to be included and have fun. Wasn't that the whole idea of WBCCI? Like minded people who wanted to camp with other Airstreams? I say lets start camping and stop the bickering!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I'm with you too, Rick. I just joined in January, and I'm planning to get involved with the Florida Unit and Region 3. We're leaving for the International Rally on Friday. Our first rally. Let the fun begin....

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #103
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
There is no real reason for any Airstream owner not to join WBCCI.
Tell us some of the reasons why we should join the WBCCI.
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #104
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebfa
Tell us some of the reasons why we should join the WBCCI.
The first thing I would say to anyone who askes me this question is join to support the original vision of Wallys friends who formed the club; friendship and adventure. Easier said back then when there was one club, now with Regions and Units its a little different. Each unit is different in its foundation but what we need to do is get back to our roots and realize that our membership has changed over the years and what we once found the basis for belonging is changing as societies needs are changing. By joining WBCCI we bring in a new generation for the good of the organization. Membership gets smaller and smaller each year and this needs to be addressed, especially since we know the number of Airstream owners grows each year. Join WBCCI, become active and be a part of the new generation.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #105
Certifiable

. , .
Transparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
The nomination committee of Region 1 will have my resume this week and my hat in the ring for the VP position.
#1 Of course you'll post your resume here as well?
#2 Can you be more specific in your reasons as to why we should join the wbcc?
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincantom
Jacob has an excellent notion above. An organization for all aluminum trailers...

tom
AND all-aluminum motorhomes, too???

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #107
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorbie1
#1 Of course you'll post your resume here as well?
#2 Can you be more specific in your in your reasons as to why we should join the wbcc?
I see no reason why I couldn't post my resume once it has been received by the nominating committee!I have been a member of WBCCI for only three years but like many of my forum members I have wanted an Airstream ever since I saw my first one, and that was some time ago. I believe that the club is worth saving, I believe that our members at the unit level have been ignored and our demographics has been rapidly changing while the leaders of our great organization have not. We (the membership) need to work together to bring unity back to the organization, encourage unit growth, and become active at all levels to make WBCCI enjoyable for all. I understand that every member has a different expectation from their membership, but we all want the same things; camping, fun rallies, organized outings, and a guidline in which to function under. Sandi and I have attended many, many rallies in the past few years. I have two that I am co-hosting this year and three for next year and we also just started on a reunion rally for '09. We have members in our unit who have been with the club for fifty years and members who just joined, have kids and want to camp. We have proven we can accomodate everyones needs at a rally and need to focus on the camping and adventure. Sandi and I have made friendships thru WBCCI that will last a lifetime and we understand this feeling with our older members.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #108
Certifiable

. , .
Mr. Cipot,

I appreciate your words and I can tell you are trying your best to answer me. But I'm still not getting from you a compelling reason why I should hand over my money to you. What can this club give me that I can't get without being a member of your club? Camping, fun, adventure, rallies, organized outings -- all with or without Airstreamers -- are readily available elsewhere.

You sound like a very energetic and enthusiastic fellow and I wish you well in your crusade to "save" the club. But from my experience with wbcc (20+, not 3), you are up against a dying monolith that refuses to change. Let's "work together," "encourage unit growth," and "become active." Regretably, these are the same tired and empty phrases we've all been hearing for years from wbcc leaders. Are you just the latest incarnation? I hope not. There are many of us out here that can help raise this club out of the ashes with the right leaders in place.

Clearly, major structrural changes need to be made. How the leadership becomes annoited is an excellent place to start. This is why I am so interested in the fact that you are coming from nowhere and "throwing your hat in the ring" on a Regional level. Good for you!

Would you like to take another shot at convincing us why we should join?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #109
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Mr. Cipot,

I appreciate your words and I can tell you are trying your best to answer me. But I'm still not getting from you a compelling reason why I should hand over my money to you. What can this club give me that I can't get without being a member of your club? Camping, fun, adventure, rallies, organized outings -- all with or without Airstreamers -- are readily available elsewhere.

You sound like a very energetic and enthusiastic fellow and I wish you well in your crusade to "save" the club. But from my experience with wbcc (20+, not 3), you are up against a dying monolith that refuses to change. Let's "work together," "encourage unit growth," and "become active." Regretably, these are the same tired and empty phrases we've all been hearing for years from wbcc leaders. Are you just the latest incarnation? I hope not. There are many of us out here that can help raise this club out of the ashes with the right leaders in place.

Clearly, major structrural changes need to be made. How the leadership becomes annoited is an excellent place to start. This is why I am so interested in the fact that you are coming from nowhere and "throwing your hat in the ring" on a Regional level. Good for you!

The biggest reason?

Fellowship with peers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Amen, Andy. You hit right on the sweet spot. In the military, we called it camaraderie. Karma to you.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Mr. Cipot,

Andy said it in his reply, Fellowship with peers. Each of the 140 or so units has its own personality and a member must find one which fits them. You are lucky to be in Virginia, so try the Washington DC Unit.

If you were in Colorado, I would suggest the Denver Unit, in Arizona or New Mexico, the new 4CU , in So Cal, El Camino Real. Where else can you meet and stay with 15 to 50 fellow Airstream owners (many more with a Vintage Airstream Club rally)?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #112
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Mr. Cipot,

I appreciate your words and I can tell you are trying your best to answer me. You sound like a very energetic and enthusiastic fellow and I wish you well in your crusade to "save" the club. But from my experience with wbcc (20+, not 3), you are up against a dying monolith that refuses to change. Let's "work together," "encourage unit growth," and "become active." Regretably, these are the same tired and empty phrases we've all been hearing for years from wbcc leaders. Are you just the latest incarnation? I hope not. There are many of us out here that can help raise this club out of the ashes with the right leaders in place.

If all we were looking for is friendship, good times, camping and Airstreams, we could all continue to do so with the wondeful group of folks right here. How many forum rallies have there been? Quite a few. Why WBCCI? Could I convince you right here right now as someone coming from nowhere? Maybe, but probably not. WBCCI deserves to be saved by us, the next generation. I am a sucker for traditions and I really am proud of the red numbers on my Airstreams. They represent something of the past, the longevity and the unity of the WBCCI. Yes, you have heard similar words before from present IBT leaders and you will continue to hear them but we have yet seen any action. What set me onto this path was when Mr. Don Schaffer in his letter to the membership in the BB said "we" didn't know who Wally was, I was convinced the IBT has no idea who the members are. Why should you join or continue with the WBCCI? Because together as younger members we can help this club survive. We can educate the IBT on our way up to the real needs of todays members. We can have a whole lot of fun and new adventures together every weekend across this country if we could only refocus our energy into positive actions and not stray from the founders love for Airstreams and those who choose to go forth and promote the joys of the Airstream lifestyle.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 06-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #113
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Reason to join: To get in on a good fight! Just kidding, but the last two years or so you'd think that would be the number one reason.

Personally, I would say to become a member of a long standing tradition of one of the oldest (I think Tin Can Tourist is older, but not 100% sure) camping clubs in the world and to share in camaraderie with like minded people in their love of the most unique and enduring brand in the RV industry (at least while it remains a one brand club (including Argosy)). My wife was neither one way or the other except for the tradition that came with the club.

I wanted to join for the red numbers. But not just the numbers but what they represent. To me they represent a sense of belonging to a unique fraternity of RV enthusiast that are in it for the long haul; RV'rs that know and respect the longevity of Airstreams and the fact that their trailers and motorhomes will be around long after we are gone; RV'rs that want to share the experience and the quirks of Airstreams; and to share the attention that the brand (including Argosy) gets when a group pull into a campground and see the heads turn as they pass by as they find their rally sites; and to share with fellow Airstreamers the stories and anecdotes that go with the exclusivity of the brand.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #114
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Tom- You are correct in that Tin Can Tourists are an older club. They were formed back in 1919 and received their state charter the following year. They are holding in there with about 500 +/- members right now and have a really great time together.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 06-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
After owing an Airstream for 13 years I joined the WBCCI. Not sure why. I guess it was just to keep my deceased uncles numbers in the family and possible have access to the Airstream parks while on the road.

Now after about a year and a halves membership and having gone to one WBCCI rally and 3 Forum rallies I will stick around just to have access to the Forum rallies. Clearly I would never again consider a WBCCI rally. I had more freedom and fun in basic training and see no reason to subject myself to that level of regimentation at this point in my life.

The cost of membership in the WBCCI will just have to be endured as an expense.

Original I had been thinking why not discuss with Airstream a hostel takeover of the WBCCI and writing a somewhat less restrictive constitution that would relate only to Airstreams. But I soon realized the Forum’s membership is not buying as many new rigs as the Grand Boobahs. And money is still the name of the game.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #116
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Andy said it in his reply, Fellowship with peers. Each of the 140 or so units has its own personality and a member must find one which fits them. You are lucky to be in Virginia, so try the Washington DC Unit.

If you were in Colorado, I would suggest the Denver Unit, in Arizona or New Mexico, the new 4CU , in So Cal, El Camino Real. Where else can you meet and stay with 15 to 50 fellow Airstream owners (many more with a Vintage Airstream Club rally)?

Bill
Local units are great. There are many of them that seem to "get it." And they should all be experienced. As we all know, it's mostly on the International level where things break down. "Where else can you meet and stay with 15 to 50 fellow Airstream owners?" Take a look at the Rally calender. A quick scan will show 24 Rallies being promoted. And by my count, 12 of those 24 rallies are open to the non-wbc Airstream owners of the world. Forum rallies, buddy rallies, fiestas, conventions, cook offs, music fests ... and there's probably more! Isn't it possible to share fellowship and comraderie at these venues too?

Yes, the wbcc was a unique fraternity in the old days. It had honor; respect for its members; and a real sense of adventure. Unfortunately, the International leadership lost its way many years ago and became a different kind of fraternity. Chasing after the almighty dollar can corrupt even the most sincere folk. Agendas, talking points, hiding behind Robert's Rules and using "spin" becomes SOP for those who want to insulate themselves from their membership.

Yes Mr. Cipot, it is still possible to convince me. I, too, am a sucker for tradition. There are many local units I would love to join. The WDCU would be a perfect fit. I just can't send my money right now to the International folks. And it's obvious by his actions and dismissive contempt for the general masses that the IP wouldn't know Wally if he walked into him. A "Let them eat cake" attitude usually leads to revolution. And I believe the International leaders to be uneducatable as presently constituted.

I grew up in Missouri. Show me the nuts and bolts (rivets?) of your plan Mr. Cipot. Vacuous cheerleading is simply not enough.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Local units are great. There are many of them that seem to "get it." And they should all be experienced. As we all know, it's mostly on the International level where things break down. "Where else can you meet and stay with 15 to 50 fellow Airstream owners?" Take a look at the Rally calender. A quick scan will show 24 Rallies being promoted. And by my count, 12 of those 24 rallies are open to the non-wbc Airstream owners of the world. Forum rallies, buddy rallies, fiestas, conventions, cook offs, music fests ... and there's probably more! Isn't it possible to share fellowship and comraderie at these venues too?

Of course it is possible. But how many of those rallies are within 150 miles of your home? The two WBCCI units to which we belong have most of their rallies (over 12) within that distance. There has been only one forum rally within that distance.

Also look at post #55 here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...t-32303-3.html for more of my reasons to stay.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Thorbie1,

I'm 43 yrs old, wife and a 5 yr old little girl. We join the WDCU when she was 3 months old. Pretty much all of our vacation time is spent at WBCCI rallies. You got kids? If you do, I'd say it's the best thing you could do for them. When I go to a rally, I know, I have 20-50 people looking out after my child, she has friends from NY to PA, NH to VA. She looks forward to seeing her friendds at the rallies and is upset if they don't make it. She has people that care for her as if she were their own.

Plus, you will find people on the internet tend to come and go. You have people that have been is this club 30+ years. You really think the "airforums" rallies will still be held 30 years from now? Maybe, Maybe not. I'm hosting a forums rally later this fall in the Shenandoah Valley. The first people out of the gate to ask, "You need help?" was people from the WDCU.

People in the WBCCI tend to lookout for each other and help at the drop of a hat. I don't agree with everything the leaders of this club do either. But, if I'm not here trying, I can't b*tch.

Just like voting. I don't like everything the boys do on capital hill, but it does not mean I don't vote.

I'll tell you what. You join the WDCU for the rest of this year and next. Make a real effort to come to our rallies and have fun, if you don't think it was worth the $$, I'll give you your money back! How that for a reason!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #119
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Of course it is possible. But how many of those rallies are within 150 miles of your home? The two WBCCI units to which we belong have most of their rallies (over 12) within that distance. There has been only one forum rally within that distance.
I felt the same way about the lack of nearby forum rallies. Then, I dug in my heels and decided that if there wasn't something I wanted nearby then I'd just make it happen. So Mr RedSHED and I organized a rally. Pretty easy, actually. Any forum member can do it. Pick a date and a location, announce it and see what happens. Give it a try, its fun!
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #120
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
After owing an Airstream for 13 years I joined the WBCCI. Not sure why. I guess it was just to keep my deceased uncles numbers in the family and possible have access to the Airstream parks while on the road.

Now after about a year and a halves membership and having gone to one WBCCI rally and 3 Forum rallies I will stick around just to have access to the Forum rallies. Clearly I would never again consider a WBCCI rally. I had more freedom and fun in basic training and see no reason to subject myself to that level of regimentation at this point in my life.

The cost of membership in the WBCCI will just have to be endured as an expense.

Original I had been thinking why not discuss with Airstream a hostel takeover of the WBCCI and writing a somewhat less restrictive constitution that would relate only to Airstreams. But I soon realized the Forum’s membership is not buying as many new rigs as the Grand Boobahs. And money is still the name of the game.
Howie-

I would like to suggest that if you have the time visit the New England Unit web site. We have a great rally planned for Columbus Weekend up near Mystic CT. The Lost Dutchman Rally. Lots of fun events planned and stuff for the kids and the kids in us! Check it out and see what the next generation of WBCCI is doing! Would love to have you!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind