View Poll Results: Will you leave the WBCCI if the MOHO motion passes?
Leave if/when it passes? 25 19.23%
Will not renew membership for 2008? 48 36.92%
Will stay, no matter what? 36 27.69%
Will stay and fight to get it over turned? 21 16.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #57
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebfa
True, but it is as accurate as a sampling can be including error margins.
It happens this way with political polls, Neilson ratings, etc. That simply is the nature of the polling process.
The questions are weighted and the members are not willing to become involved in the debate because of the caustic nature. I might add that Nielson doesn't base results on a total of a mere 71 people. There is no mandate.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #58
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Coop, we all know the poll isn't scientific, but if even a quarter of the membership feels as the polls show, it's still a problem. I agree fully that this poll won't accurately represent the forum opinions, let alone the membership in general of WBCCI, but what it does do, is provide a cheap, every so slightly accurate litums test that continues to grow daily.

Again, what I find interesting about this thread and the poll is what it represents overall and to some degree, I would venture a guess that in some capacity, it does represent what's out there. How much or how little, really only time will tell if the vote becomes a reality. So my point is that I wouldn't totally rule out this poll as fluffy and discount it....at least not yet.

I agree this is poll is no mandate for either side of the conversation, then again, how could it being a tad over 3 full days old.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #59
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
...In the end, I have to believe that the members who want this, which from what I can see is a select few, wouldn't be so selfish to jepardize the group as a whole over this issue, but perhaps I'm wrong, and the old tree won't bend, even slightly, as the younger tree must, does and continues to do.....
You need to read this month's Blue Berret: Information article and minutes from the mid-winter business meeting in Perry. Very one sided write-up in both.

The membership chair states that there are approximately 6822 dues paying members. With spouses and families that comes to around 14,000 members. She estimates 20% own motorhomes (of the 6833, but I think that number might be a little high). They lost nearly 600 members last year. There are more than 1,100 members that have not sent in their dues. There have been a significant number of new members (sorry, if forgot the number, but I was surprised how many joined). I realize a lot of those 1,700 members that haven't renewed their membership yet died, but I have to wonder how many didn't renew over the name change debacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I didn't vote in the poll because I don't know yet. I will say its a struggle to remain and not only because of the brand identity and name identity issues.

A big concern for me is how these matters were and are handled, even aside from the seriousness of becoming leaders of the WBCCI Airstream only club and then wanting to change it from the WBCCI and from an Airstream only club and still control the club. That in itself is huge. Officials appointed to uphold the constitution and tend to club matters are initiating changes to end the club as we joined it and morph it into their own favorable entity.

What I am not seeing are the voiced concerns of members and prospective members being addressed. Activities and entertainment for the Internationals remain essentially unchanged. Registration and fees and the plethora of restrictions and rules continue to remain the same. ...

There now have been two major club making/breaking deals set off by our "keepers" of the club. But there is so much more. Approach works backward from where things have always been to be brought into the present and future. Wouldn't it be more practical to examine all phases critically and start with fresh ideas and expound on them?
I haven't voted either. I don't know if I will remain a member or not. We have been members since August so it is too soon to tell. But I am leaning toward not renewing if it passes. I joined the WBCCI because I wanted to be a member of an Airstream only club. If the motion passes, the WBCCI won't be an Airstream only club any longer. I don't know if it can be recalled next year or not or if anyone will even try or if the IBT would even let the motion be made. I definitely would walk if that were the case.

If I don't renew, I would be interested in forming a new Airstream Owners' Association, but I wouldn't be interested in a "Silver Trailer Owners' Club" for the same reason. It wouldn't be an Airstream only club. I think most that leave the WBCCI wouldn't be interested in joining for the same reason. I'm not trying to look down my nose or be arrogant, I just want to belong to an Airstream only club because Airstreams are all I am interested in. If I had a Model A I wouldn't be interested in a Ford club. My interest would be too diluted by other cars to serve my interest. Same with a Silver Trailer Club. My Airstream interest would be too diluted to serve my desires in a club.

Carol makes a very important point, though. The elected IBT is elected to uphold the club's constitution, not change it. I don't know if they initiated the name change issue, but as I recall, the IBT initiated the Four Winds motor home issue at the mid-winter in Perry. While it is within the constitution for the IBT to make motions, it is my understanding that it is normal procedure for motions to be made from a unit or regional officer not a member of the IBT. This to me just seems that the IBT is going to rail-road this motion down our throats whether we want it or not.

Also, there is one thing that was pointed out that I have to agree with Cooperhawk about. This voting is not truly reflective of membership's will. For one thing, in this poll non-members are voting when they shouldn't since they "don't have a dog in this fight". Second, they are voting when they won't have that opportunity to do so at the International in Perry. They are purposely skewing the numbers, one way or another, when they should post their comments and not do any voting in the polls. Only members should be voting. Non-members shouldn't be voting. This is NOT to say everyone posting to this thread who is not a member is voting. On the contrary since not even all members posting to this thread are voting. But there may be enough to throw the numbers.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
I might add that Nielson doesn't base results on a total of a mere 71 people. There is no mandate.
Perhaps Nielson was a bad example. On the other hand, I would argue that this particular poll is more accurate than other national polls for the reason that this poll is already targeting the right audience. Whereas a national poll wouldn't have such a well targeted audience even though they have higher participation.

Oh yeah, and I second what Silvertwinkie said above, "So my point is that I wouldn't totally rule out this poll as fluffy and discount it...."
Old 03-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #61
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Wrong again. Nielson targets the right audience. Voters! The only ones voting in this poll are the members with an interest in the discussion. Everyone else, over 19000 members I might add, have ignored it.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Wrong again. Nielson targets the right audience. Voters! The only ones voting in this poll are the members with an interest in the discussion. Everyone else, over 19000 members I might add, have ignored it.
Nielson polls T.V. viewers about T.V. shows. It does no polling on politics.

I voted in this poll but am not going to share my vote or reason for that vote. Just don't want to write it out.

Vote and stay relaxed people.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Everyone else, over 19000 members I might add, have ignored it.
Hey...you need to keep in mind that a large percentage of the 19,000 forum members are inactive!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #64
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Right this moment there are 160 members and 546 guests on line. That's just right now.

Well, I don't plan to argue with you anymore. Just hope we never park side by side.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 03-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Tin Can Tourists

Ok, the love is just getting to be too much. I'm gonna go join the Tin Can Tourists!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Well one of the children is stamping his foot, pouting and whining his threat.

I'm out of this thread til only adults are here.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
As a statistician, I'd just like to say that any internet poll is good for a quick read, but I wouldn't rely on them for much beyond that (think "Dewey Defeats Truman").

The problem is, as others have alluded to, the respondents are self-selected; there's no random element checking the people that have only a mild interest... or, in this case, no element whatsoever checking the people that don't use AirstreamForums.com.

We now return you to our friendly discussion over the proposal.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #68
Site Team

, Minnesota
Even with all the self selection and kurtosis, it's still a better poll than just having people shout out that only they represent the majority.

I'm not a member, I didn't vote, I'm gonna join Tin Can Tourists with Jim.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I believe these polls are for our own musings. I am sure all of the polls here on Airstream Forums run similarly. The results show the tally of the forum members that chose to participate in the poll. And people have interpreted the results differently. So far that all seems pretty standard method of operation.

I am thinking of doing my own poll since response is so great.

POLL:

Would parking side by side be...

1.almost the same
2.better than
3.worse than

being stranded on a desert island with the last man alive?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #70
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Polls are polls, nothing more, nothing less. It can be argued from many different dirrections and everyone is right and everyone is wrong. The one fact that does stand out to me is that people will be leaving the club if this change happens. I have not voted in the poll because I have not made up my mind yet. I am a new member to the club and joined to be part of the Four Corners Unit. It would be hard to walk away from the time and effort that I and many others put into getting that unit started.

I am very much oppposed to opening up the club to non airstream RV's. I am not against Airstream Motorhomes. The last two rallies I attended we had 3 clasic motorhomes and I thought they were great! I would park next to one anytime. I joined the club to camp with other Airstream owners. I believe it would be in the best interest of the club if the IBT would pull this motion now.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote