View Poll Results: Will you leave the WBCCI if the MOHO motion passes?
Leave if/when it passes? 25 19.23%
Will not renew membership for 2008? 48 36.92%
Will stay, no matter what? 36 27.69%
Will stay and fight to get it over turned? 21 16.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by walter1
They wouldn’t let me join! Because I didn’t OWN an Airstream. I explained I’m trying to decide which year & model to PURCHASE and “ Doesn’t matter!” was the response. Whatever!

Well, I don't think that's out of line - they also kick people out that no longer own Airstreams. The club does have a right to decide on a basis for membership, and it seems like a club centered around the ownership of Airstream campers would want its members to actually OWN Airstreams. I'm not sure how joining would really net you any information anyway...

But, Really tell me about the flags! Can I hang my laundry!! Wash my dog??
As a “prospective” member I just gotta hear this one.
There are some people that nitpick on details. They are generally considered to be very rude. By and large I don't think it's a major problem, but again I'm sure it depends on what unit you join.

Every group has them; railroad modelers call them (and this seems appropriate for an Airstream club) "rivet counters" - the people that count the number of rivets on models to ensure that they match the number of rivets on the full-size versions. Neighborhoods have them, too; we call them "busybodies."

Think of it like church: some congregations are very prim and proper, whereas some are jeans-wearing-yelling-out-in-the-middle-of-sermons types. Neither is really wrong, just a different style of observance. But it can be pretty annoying, for both sides, when the two styles clash.

1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
'nough from me

Back then I thought by joining "The club" I would get a newsletter/magazine (Blue Beret?) loaded with information about different years and models. Like the national Model A Ford clubs (thats clubs plural).

Then I went online and found what I wanted without the club politics, etc. Airstream Forum and Airstream Life. Bought an Airstream, just right, met nice people, enjoy. Forum people are real nice and helpful without the club hassle. If the club works for folks, GREAT.

I've still never read a Blue Beret. Might be nice reading.

Personaly I don't care if they let motorhomes in. I'm not in so I'll try to stay out of it. Just letting "struggling" club know some of us outsiders are watching... waiting.

I just had to ask about the flags.

And yep, I met the rivet counters in train clubs...I play with Lionel and American Flyer, O & S scale...close but not always "accurate" like HO. I play with trains, not model.

In the Model A club we had "Nickle Busters" who would hunt your car over looking for chrome plated screws that should be nickel.

Antique motorcycle clubs went the same way. I have Indian and Nortons, others think only Harleys are real.
The show winners didn't even have oil/gas in them.

Military vehicles: "wrong shade of od green here".

Busy bodies.

Still not opposed to joining Wally World, just still watching and waiting. I found one CA/NV group I like alot. If they spin off I'll follow.

I like the Aluminum Trailer Club idea. Not enough to start one.

But really, I am still very curious about the flag rule details> Sounds like it could bring a good laugh

walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Hi Walter,

Not sure about the exact rule, but I do know that it has something to do with flying 5 flags and how it's reserved for a certain level of club officer.

Personally, I don't give a rat's (expletive deleted!) tail about how many flags I'm 'told' that I can fly........I usually fly 5 when I camp and I really pitty the first person to tell me otherwise!!!! The flags include the US flag, Airstream flag and whatever flavor of flag suits me at the moment, like the jolly Roger, or a coctail flag. It's all in good fun anyway, and some folks just take things too seriously!!!
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
Will you leave??

Way to go Jacob. I totally agree with you! All silver trailers should belong!

Lee Pace
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
I also think an all aluminum, squarestream, sparton, avion, etc. organization would be fun. I think these forums are pretty much that way anyway, I enjoy reading about other silver trailers. I wonder if the WBCCI would let Avions in if they were still being built? ---Mark---
--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It is looking like the vote figures are leaning toward staying in WBCCI.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #35
. , .
Originally Posted by moosetags
It is looking like the vote figures are leaning toward staying in WBCCI.
But 43% want out.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #36
Old Paint, rolling again.
1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Originally Posted by Wharf Rats
I also think an all aluminum, squarestream, sparton, avion, etc. organization would be fun. ---Mark---

Would Argosys be allowed?

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Originally Posted by lewster
Not sure about the exact rule, but I do know that it has something to do with flying 5 flags and how it's reserved for a certain level of club officer.
. It's all in good fun anyway, and some folks just take things too seriously!!!

Thanks Lew,
I was was good for a laugh.
That fact that someone actually wrote down a rule, and others must have "voted" it in, about how many flags you can fly on YOUR trailer is hilarious.

I feel like buying 6 flags!

Way too serious
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #38
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by mistral blue
But 43% want out.
...and that there is the rub....even if it's 10%, IMHO, that's 10% the overall "International" group really can't afford to loose today. If that number grows beyond 10%, again, IMHO, that's a serious problem, and only make the issue that much more problematic. To me, nope, but to the many folks that believe and are straight shootin' dues payin' members, it better be.

In the end, I have to believe that the members who want this, which from what I can see is a select few, wouldn't be so selfish to jepordize the group as a whole over this issue, but perhaps I'm wrong, and the old tree won't bend, even slightly, as the younger tree must, does and continues to do.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 20
Winter Haven , Florida
What exactly is this problem about? I thought, something about motorhomes coming into the group. Where do flags come into this picture? Is there a protocal? Can I hang my 'Dancing Bears" flag
Gypsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:41 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member
N. Fort Myers, , Florida
We just sold our MH to down size. Picked a AS for weight, length, well built. We were members of the FMCA 'family motor coach asso.'. Now we are only associate members and will not be member at all soon as I won't pay dues again.
This is fine, a motor coast group is for motor coaches.
A Airstream group is for airstreams.

We don't yet belong to a unit, since we really don't know anyone with AS and are going to be moving.
This means I don't get a vote, not sure why since I paid same amt. as everyone else.
At the moment this group does not seem to happy a place to be, it AS is worried about membership then it should think about controversy.
I just wanted to meet some happy people and have an option to travel with a group.
I don't want to travel with MH's, there is an attitude change (we are better then you) and it is not what I want to be around.
We travel mostly on our own so that is not an issue for us,

I understand AS is making more AS, TT then ever before but WBCCI has less. THis should be of concern.
unsubscribed at member request; sold Airstream
bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #41
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I didn't vote in the poll because I don't know yet. I will say its a struggle to remain and not only because of the brand identity and name identity issues.

A big concern for me is how these matters were and are handled, even aside from the seriousness of becoming leaders of the WBCCI Airstream only club and then wanting to change it from the WBCCI and from an Airstream only club and still control the club. That in itself is huge. Officials appointed to uphold the constitution and tend to club matters are initiating changes to end the club as we joined it and morph it into their own favorable entity.

What I am not seeing are the voiced concerns of members and prospective members being addressed. Activities and entertainment for the Internationals remain essentially unchanged. Registration and fees and the plethora of restrictions and rules continue to remain the same. For a good example of micromanaging take a look at the specifications of having a bulletin board for instance, or the color classifications of badge backgrounds. There is a rigidity guarded with passion. Whether these kinds of things are necessary is not nearly as important to the leaders as it is that it be upheld.

Where is the media reform of the Blue Beret offering weighty club news from various stand points in a timely manner? What about a brand new format and revamping?

What about shorter less expensive caravans for those not retired? What about waiving rally fees for children? What about rallies with hookups at locations you might actually choose to spend time at? What about interesting programs excepting senior health care and tests and knitting and ballroom dancing and ice cream socials, award after award after award ceremonies?

50th anniversary at Perry--what sets that International apart to be spectacular? I was enticed to Salem Oregon for Airstream's 75th anniversary and a special presentation and surprise. (Well we did get a seat cushion)

There now have been two major club making/breaking deals set off by our "keepers" of the club. But there is so much more. Approach works backward from where things have always been to be brought into the present and future. Wouldn't it be more practical to examine all phases critically and start with fresh ideas and expound on them?

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:37 AM   #42
Always Airstreaming!
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Good morning to everyone who has posted on this thread so far. First I would like to thank my fellow forum members for their supportive comments on my posts. As you may have interpreted, I do take WBCCI very seriously. To either expand on a few words or add clarification please pardon yet another long post.
First: Yes I will be submitting my resume to the Region 1 nomination committee for 2008. I do understand the value of working from the inside. No, I am not the type of person to complain and not take action to help the cause.
Second: I do not believe that a club or organization is made great by the volume of members. I believe it is the quality of members that make a club great. If the IBT is forcing the issue of SOB MOHO acceptance to increase numbers of members they must think we are really stupid! The "Man Behind the Curtain" wants the change so that he can drive a new Class A to rallies, be parked in a place of prominance and not be incovienced by driving an older Airstream unit.
Third: There are wonderful units in the WBCCI that make the organization what it really is, not so much the IBT and our international officers. Grass roots is what makes any larger organized group of individuals suceed at their goals. Ask any good National President of any of the great Non-Profit groups in our country, ie: Red Cross, United Way, Save the Children. It is us the general member who joined WBCCI for the comfort of being able to share rallies, information, stories, campfires, good news and bad with like minded people who actually care. At no time was I inspired by, asked to join by, made to feel welcome by or even received a letter of welcome by ANY International Officer of WBCCI.
Fourth: Could an Airstream Club of America be sanctioned and suceed? You bet! Yes, we would need the official OK and paperwork and all that to use the Airstream name, but trust me. If the IBT does change our charter to allow non AS units into the fold the rush for the door will be fast and furious.
If feel extremely confident that we could secure that approval. As many of you have read in my past threads and posts, I am all for the WBCCI to grow and thrive but it must align itself with it's members at large and not a selected few. What we have is a monarchy slowing turning into a dictatorship and this will not survive. Often you see "What would Wally do?" Well, that is a good question and since he is no longer with us we can only speculate what his answer might be. If you have taken the time and done the research, Wally was a very common person, well educated and seriously put thought into his written word. And since we only have his written word and those of many of his friends and fellow travelers I do believe it is safe to say that Wally would never park is Airstream next to a white [or any other color] box of a trailer or MoHo given the oportunity to be parked with other Airstreams. An why wouldn't he? Walley dedicated his adult like to the developement of a design that has seen only five specific body changes in 75 years. In addition, he made it his mission to promote the beauty, design and functionality of the Airstream. Todays Airstream is something I know Wally would be proud to see rolling off the assembly at Jackson Center. And this was and should remain the foundation of WBCCI, not a motohome or anything else built but some other company. Only and Airstream is an Airstream!

J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote