Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Will you leave the WBCCI if the MOHO motion passes?
Leave if/when it passes? 24 18.60%
Will not renew membership for 2008? 48 37.21%
Will stay, no matter what? 36 27.91%
Will stay and fight to get it over turned? 21 16.28%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
do
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
The Clash (IIRC)
You do remember.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, you pretty much said how I feel. Belong to the big Airstream club and continue a tradition? Sounds good, But reality is, what I've read on this forum, Politics, complaints, and rules rules rules. This doesn't sound like a fun club to me. And I have a hard time believeing this is what Wally Byam wanted and practiced. I thought it was cool to have those big red numbers on your Airstream; Now I think it's cool, to not have them.
I don't want someone pointing at my trailer and saying my flags are unauthorized or not displayed properly. That upsets me and I don't even have any flags; And maybe never will, but I will have a good time camping without this club.
Back to the basics. Airstream owners traveling and camping together enjoying life, with or without the big red numbers.
When I bought my B-van, I thought long and hard about whether I wanted to join WBCCI. My parents are members and I distinctly recall some business meetings that went on and on and on and on... while we were camping! Hello?! What finally convinced me to join was that I heard, from several people, that the chapter I was going to join was not like the unit my parents had belonged to.

I've found that WBCCI is much better if you stay out of this forum (I was bored this morning and wandered in). Further, the chapter I joined, and there are others like this, is all about the camping - business meetings are kept very short, and we're really there just to have fun. That much was obvious after about 1 day of camping with them.

Will I depart WBCCI? Well, all these discussions and even some of the posts in this thread have really made me feel like a third-class citizen in this club - and I don't even have one of the motorhomes they're bitching about. For a while, several months ago, after reading some of the threads in this very forum, I regretted renewing.

But, then I remembered that I was made to feel VERY welcome at the WDCU rally I went to last summer, so I know this anti-motorhome sentiment isn't everyone in the club. So, I'm sticking with the WDCU - the fact that it's part of WBCCI is almost irrelevant.

So, that's my advice to prospective members: find a unit that's fun and stick with them. Let the politics to those who want to play them and just ... go camping!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
The Clash (IIRC)
Cool! Let's "Rock the Kasba"!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Hi, you pretty much said how I feel. Belong to the big Airstream club and continue a tradition? Sounds good, But reality is, what I've read on this forum, Politics, complaints, and rules rules rules. This doesn't sound like a fun club to me. And I have a hard time believeing this is what Wally Byam wanted and practiced. I thought it was cool to have those big red numbers on your Airstream; Now I think it's cool, to not have them.
I don't want someone pointing at my trailer and saying my flags are unauthorized or not displayed properly. That upsets me and I don't even have any flags; And maybe never will, but I will have a good time camping without this club.
Back to the basics. Airstream owners traveling and camping together enjoying life, with or without the big red numbers.
I seldom hear club politics at a unit rally, the only time my flags received a comment was a the only forum rally we attended. The right unit is fun and you can ignore the politics. We have met many people, face to face who I can recognize and call by actual name, not internet handle, who we would not met otherwise and we now call them friends. Some of these people are all over the US thanks to WBCCI. The units are about camping. I still think it is cool to have the numbers.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
I didn't join WBCCI for the privilege of paying $75/year just to camp with friends and family. I can do that without WBCCI. In fact, it's probably easier outside of WBCCI. I joined WBCCI because I wanted to be a part of the traditional club of Airstreamers, its history and connection to Wally Byam. If the SOB motion passes, I won't stick around to watch it morph into the Thor Travelcade club. Instead I'll move on with the many other forward thinking Airstreamers on this forum and elsewhere to the next generation Airstream club.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Quote:

I am not a member of WBCCI.
I read the forum threads and always get to:
Why would I want to be??
Bicker, bicker.
It reads here like a runaway train wreck about to happen, you squint but have to watch, knowing there will be a disaster, hoping someone blows the bridge in time.

But now I JUST GOTTA KNOW:
ROBERTSUNRUS, Whats the deal with how I fly my flag??? Really I want to know more. No pirate flags? No 48 star flags??

I tried to join WBCCI once, back when, when I was first exploring owning an Airstream or other vintage aluminum travel trailer and wanted to read up on them, perhaps peruse the club newsletter, learn years/models and as said before “…to be a part of the traditional club of Airstreamers, its history and connection to Wally Byam” etc.

They wouldn’t let me join! Because I didn’t OWN an Airstream. I explained I’m trying to decide which year & model to PURCHASE and “ Doesn’t matter!” was the response. Whatever!

Now I can join but it appears I may not get a vote if I’m not a “chapter” member?

Why would I want to join now? Anyone??

An aluminum travel trailer club…hmmmm, interesting.

I can find plenty of motorhome clubs to join. Nice folks I’m sure.
I’ve “camped” near newer gazillion dollar giant motorhomes and even pulled stakes at 1AM to get away from generators and bright “security” lights.

Then I found the Airstream Forums. NICE! I’ve met a LOT of really nice, REALLY helpful folks through the forums. Made new friends. Gone to rallies. Really appreciate the open houses. It’s been a great learning tool and really helped me fix up and enjoy my 1964 Airstream Safari.

But, Really tell me about the flags! Can I hang my laundry!! Wash my dog??
As a “prospective” member I just gotta hear this one.

Almost joined your club, it happened just the other day…

“But I didn't and I wonder why, I feel like letting my freak flag fly, cause I feel like I owe it to someone.”

walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
hog wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
I had a hard time selecting which answer to select in the poll. I don't hate motorhomes, I simply don't like camping with them. I got boxed in between two of them for almost a week at a regional rally and couldn't see anything from my trailer windows except the slab side of a fiberglass motorhome. The RV lifestyle of a MH vs a trailer is significantly different. Hardly ever saw the occupants of the MH's parked around me, except when I leave.
what do you see parked between 2 silver twinkies that have been polished ?you see brighr reflitive sun. as far as not seeing the people maybe just maybe they are out biking or exploring.If I wanted to sit around the camper and barbq and drink We all can sit home and do that. the life style is not differant in any way. your at a camp site I'm at a camp site we are both camping right? You want to sit by your TT and I like to bike ride around the area. Ask 2air he bikes. but he has a TT. So don't say that there is a differant life style. it's what you make of your camping experience..
Old 03-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though it's not a scientific poll by any means, I find it interesting that it's near 50/50. Even if in the end, it's 80/20, with 80% staying, can the club really take a 20% hit? 10%,30% loss of membership?

It's truely sad when a club that is for the group goes out and does something that a fairly significant number of members is against. It really makes me wonder whom this club is really serving.

Best of luck to you all. Glad we have forum rallys!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1
They wouldn’t let me join! Because I didn’t OWN an Airstream. I explained I’m trying to decide which year & model to PURCHASE and “ Doesn’t matter!” was the response. Whatever!

Well, I don't think that's out of line - they also kick people out that no longer own Airstreams. The club does have a right to decide on a basis for membership, and it seems like a club centered around the ownership of Airstream campers would want its members to actually OWN Airstreams. I'm not sure how joining would really net you any information anyway...

Quote:
But, Really tell me about the flags! Can I hang my laundry!! Wash my dog??
As a “prospective” member I just gotta hear this one.
There are some people that nitpick on details. They are generally considered to be very rude. By and large I don't think it's a major problem, but again I'm sure it depends on what unit you join.

Every group has them; railroad modelers call them (and this seems appropriate for an Airstream club) "rivet counters" - the people that count the number of rivets on models to ensure that they match the number of rivets on the full-size versions. Neighborhoods have them, too; we call them "busybodies."

Think of it like church: some congregations are very prim and proper, whereas some are jeans-wearing-yelling-out-in-the-middle-of-sermons types. Neither is really wrong, just a different style of observance. But it can be pretty annoying, for both sides, when the two styles clash.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
'nough from me

Back then I thought by joining "The club" I would get a newsletter/magazine (Blue Beret?) loaded with information about different years and models. Like the national Model A Ford clubs (thats clubs plural).

Then I went online and found what I wanted without the club politics, etc. Airstream Forum and Airstream Life. Bought an Airstream, just right, met nice people, enjoy. Forum people are real nice and helpful without the club hassle. If the club works for folks, GREAT.

I've still never read a Blue Beret. Might be nice reading.

Personaly I don't care if they let motorhomes in. I'm not in so I'll try to stay out of it. Just letting "struggling" club know some of us outsiders are watching... waiting.

I just had to ask about the flags.

And yep, I met the rivet counters in train clubs...I play with Lionel and American Flyer, O & S scale...close but not always "accurate" like HO. I play with trains, not model.

In the Model A club we had "Nickle Busters" who would hunt your car over looking for chrome plated screws that should be nickel.

Antique motorcycle clubs went the same way. I have Indian and Nortons, others think only Harleys are real.
The show winners didn't even have oil/gas in them.

Military vehicles: "wrong shade of od green here".

Busy bodies.

Still not opposed to joining Wally World, just still watching and waiting. I found one CA/NV group I like alot. If they spin off I'll follow.

I like the Aluminum Trailer Club idea. Not enough to start one.

But really, I am still very curious about the flag rule details> Sounds like it could bring a good laugh

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER"...Groucho Marx
Old 03-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Walter,

Not sure about the exact rule, but I do know that it has something to do with flying 5 flags and how it's reserved for a certain level of club officer.

Personally, I don't give a rat's (expletive deleted!) tail about how many flags I'm 'told' that I can fly........I usually fly 5 when I camp and I really pitty the first person to tell me otherwise!!!! The flags include the US flag, Airstream flag and whatever flavor of flag suits me at the moment, like the jolly Roger, or a coctail flag. It's all in good fun anyway, and some folks just take things too seriously!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Will you leave??

Way to go Jacob. I totally agree with you! All silver trailers should belong!

Lee Pace
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
I also think an all aluminum, squarestream, sparton, avion, etc. organization would be fun. I think these forums are pretty much that way anyway, I enjoy reading about other silver trailers. I wonder if the WBCCI would let Avions in if they were still being built? ---Mark---
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It is looking like the vote figures are leaning toward staying in WBCCI.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #35
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
It is looking like the vote figures are leaning toward staying in WBCCI.
But 43% want out.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #36
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rats
I also think an all aluminum, squarestream, sparton, avion, etc. organization would be fun. ---Mark---

Would Argosys be allowed?

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Quote:
Not sure about the exact rule, but I do know that it has something to do with flying 5 flags and how it's reserved for a certain level of club officer.
. It's all in good fun anyway, and some folks just take things too seriously!!!

Thanks Lew,
I was right...it was good for a laugh.
That fact that someone actually wrote down a rule, and others must have "voted" it in, about how many flags you can fly on YOUR trailer is hilarious.

I feel like buying 6 flags!

Way too serious
Old 03-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
But 43% want out.
...and that there is the rub....even if it's 10%, IMHO, that's 10% the overall "International" group really can't afford to loose today. If that number grows beyond 10%, again, IMHO, that's a serious problem, and only make the issue that much more problematic. To me, nope, but to the many folks that believe and are straight shootin' dues payin' members, it better be.

In the end, I have to believe that the members who want this, which from what I can see is a select few, wouldn't be so selfish to jepordize the group as a whole over this issue, but perhaps I'm wrong, and the old tree won't bend, even slightly, as the younger tree must, does and continues to do.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Winter Haven , Florida
What exactly is this problem about? I thought, something about motorhomes coming into the group. Where do flags come into this picture? Is there a protocal? Can I hang my 'Dancing Bears" flag
Old 03-18-2007, 04:41 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
We just sold our MH to down size. Picked a AS for weight, length, well built. We were members of the FMCA 'family motor coach asso.'. Now we are only associate members and will not be member at all soon as I won't pay dues again.
This is fine, a motor coast group is for motor coaches.
simple.
A Airstream group is for airstreams.

We don't yet belong to a unit, since we really don't know anyone with AS and are going to be moving.
This means I don't get a vote, not sure why since I paid same amt. as everyone else.
At the moment this group does not seem to happy a place to be, it AS is worried about membership then it should think about controversy.
I just wanted to meet some happy people and have an option to travel with a group.
I don't want to travel with MH's, there is an attitude change (we are better then you) and it is not what I want to be around.
We travel mostly on our own so that is not an issue for us,

I understand AS is making more AS, TT then ever before but WBCCI has less. THis should be of concern.
Nancy