Old 01-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Meridian , Idaho
Why have a "pet section" at the International

The addition of 30 amp service at Springfield and future International Rallies calls into question whether a seperate Canine Court as Rally Policies calls it is needed. The International is the only rally that requires this seperation. Because the question wasn't asked on the registration form the parking committee was nearly overwhelmed with pet owners in the 30 amp section with several rows of Red 1, all of Red 2 and several rows of a hastily assembled Purple to accomodate everyone. Even the Vintage Parking area was threatened at one point because of the pet crowd.
With all those air conditioners running do we still need to seperate pet owners?

Charlie
Idaho Unit Past President

Old 01-24-2006, 12:45 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What's the point of a pet section? I always thought it was to keep the barking away from the non-pet people. But with my dogs, they'd be a lot quieter with no dogs around than being surrounded by trailers with dogs. Or is the pet section close to a place to walk them? Since we've never been to international, I'm curious about that.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
What's the point of a pet section? I always thought it was to keep the barking away from the non-pet people. But with my dogs, they'd be a lot quieter with no dogs around than being surrounded by trailers with dogs. Or is the pet section close to a place to walk them? Since we've never been to international, I'm curious about that.
From what I've observed, it's near a place to walk them.

Is it still needed? Being one who travels with my kitty who likes to go for walks on her leash, I REALLY appreciate the dogs being elsewhere. If there was a dog outside "her" trailer for the 2+ weeks of an International, it would not be a good thing ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
The addition of 30 amp service at Springfield and future International Rallies calls into question whether a seperate Canine Court as Rally Policies calls it is needed. The International is the only rally that requires this seperation. Because the question wasn't asked on the registration form the parking committee was nearly overwhelmed with pet owners in the 30 amp section with several rows of Red 1, all of Red 2 and several rows of a hastily assembled Purple to accomodate everyone. Even the Vintage Parking area was threatened at one point because of the pet crowd.
With all those air conditioners running do we still need to seperate pet owners?

Charlie
Idaho Unit Past President
Tough question... I attend a number of festivals where pets are actually prohibited in some or all portions of the festival grounds.

In some cases this is to keep the litter in check or make sure there aren't aggressive pets where they might be a problem. At one event they have a "clean space" policy that says "no perfumes, pets, smokables, scented soaps etc"

Many folks won't go w/o pets - period. Is the Vintage section divided into 2 parts with and without pets?

How about a no smoking section? Last year I attended a TCT rally and had smokers on either side - trailers parked an awning space away. On one side - they only smoked outside their trailer, my open side windows funneled visible smoke directly into our Argosy. Awaiting flames....

Bottom line - when planning an event you cannot make everyone happy - but you can try and we appreciate it.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Even though we would love to go to this Rally - we just do not have the time available to take off in order to get us out their and back.

So we will have to hold out for the 50th International Rally in Georgia (I think?).

I too had to chuckle when I saw the Registration for this IR

A/C
Vintage
Pet
Generators

Where would we park if we are all four

Maybe a new section for DINKS - Double Income No Kids

At the FSR there were no sections at least that I knew of - but to walk your dog we had to go way in the back - so we popped them in the car and took them for their runs. Morning business was on the BLVD just as all the other public did with their dogs.

I agree that a pet section is not always the best idea - some are tied up and others are loose - bad situation. All the owners are different in their level of training of their dogs too. And not all dogs like each other either.

Sort of like people with Children - it is great that they can have a park to go and play and be noisy instead of running in and out of the trailer sites.
I would think the last thing parents would want is all the kids to be in one place during dinner times and quiet times too - talk about noise and uncontrolable distractions - just as it is for dogs to be parked beside each other - one hears something and lets a little bark go and the whole section could errupt into a barking symphony - and no matter how far you are parked away from that section you are going to hear it. Just as the humming from Generators and AC's.

Pick what you think is best for you - and have a great time - don't let complainers ruin your experience - just tell them they are being to quiet -