Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I like the rallies on state and international levels. I get to meet so many new (to me) Airstreamers from all over the country. I figure I already know who I know, I enjoy going to different places and seeing new things and hearing different accents and phrases of our common language, and making the acquaintence of those with different interests and backgrounds.

So people, places, travel and being a member of the original Airstream club is what keeps me in.

I type this live from the IBT rally in Perry Georgia, and I have been fascinated, yes, truly fascinated at the workings of our WBCCI government. Who'd a thunk? I am having a great time. I have never been to any business meetings before and the past two days of morning and afternoon seminars have kept me riveted to my seat. I have greater respect and hopefully a better understanding of what goes on and how. The process and players are nothing less than mesmerizing. I have to give Bryan Liepper a credit here, that his belaboring the benefits of facing off, in contrast to internet relations does make a real difference. Much like the benefits of school are so much more than the sum total of what is contained in the books and on the official teaching agenda. I am getting an education and enjoying it immensely.

One comment I heard yesterday that struck me with some poignancy was when a region president mentioned the frustration of the divisive attitude about the differentiating of members in the ranks from club officers, and affirmed that they are the same members in the same ranks that have volunteered. Do we forget that some times? I have.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
One comment I heard yesterday that struck me with some poignancy was when a region president mentioned the frustration of the divisive attitude about the differentiating of members in the ranks from club officers, and affirmed that they are the same members in the same ranks that have volunteered. Do we forget that some times? I have.
Yep, sometimes I forget and I'm a unit officer and membership chairperson for a fairly large unit. These folks are like me in regards to wanting to do the right thing for our club and our club members. We are not always on the same page in regards to how to move the club forward but we are always on the same side. Every WBCCI officer I have ever met wants the club to continue, to grow and to provide enjoyment for all its members.

This folks (as Martha says) is a good thing.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:15 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
As younger, still working folks, Lorrie and I greatly enjoy the club. We have enjoyed all of the events we have attended and the people, too, even though we are usually the youngest ones present. We find the older members inspiring and can only hope to do as much when we are that age. We enjoy the history of a 50 year old Airstream only club, so we continue our membership. Yeah the club can be a bit rule bound, although is more often due to occasional members that seem to have a bent fo enforcing the rules. Most folks are more accomodating in our experience.

I think the recently formed Communications Liason activity is a good initiative and a sign that the club is open to change on at least some levels.

We are beginning to feel that club leadership is out of touch in many other ways, however. The name change wasn't where they should have put their efforts last year, nor possibly again this year. Why ruin history?

And we are even more troubled that Club Leadership seems to be pushing to get non-Airstream branded motorhomes allowed into the club (or get them rebadged as Airstreams), when only a small portion of club members even own a motorhome. The survey a couple of years ago clearly sent them a message that this was not acceptible to most club members, yet they persist.

I am concerned that the club has not been making it easy for the proposed Four Corners Unit to be established. This type of inovation should be encouraged, not discouraged.

In any case, we do appreciate that changes are being discussed. Perhaps eventually, Leadership will focus on the important areas, instead of where they appear to be focusing at the moment. At least we can hope. We would hate to see this club eventually go away, or lose total touch with it's roots.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #46
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Update the wardrobe.

Quote:
One comment I heard yesterday that struck me with some poignancy was when a region president mentioned the frustration of the divisive attitude about the differentiating of members in the ranks from club officers, and affirmed that they are the same members in the same ranks that have volunteered. Do we forget that some times? I have. Carol
Well lets get with the times. How about a nice polo shirt of color only to be worn by officers.
The jacket and beret are way dated. This will at least show they are trying to move forard.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
If we had not joined WBCCI we would not have met Don and Kathy McKelvay and 100's more during the 10 years we have been members. The membership is WBCCI, not trailers and motorhomes. I just hope that the members make a fair decision to allow motorhome owners to upgrade and stay in the club.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
boblee,

Welcome to the forums!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #49
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblee5244
If we had not joined WBCCI we would not have met Don and Kathy McKelvay and 100's more during the 10 years we have been members. The membership is WBCCI, not trailers and motorhomes. I just hope that the members make a fair decision to allow motorhome owners to upgrade and stay in the club.
Nobody is saying these folks will have to leave. In fact quite the opposite. One member already suggested that folks in this position be grandfathered into the club in a way that does not dilute the club with de-facto non Airstream Motorhomes.

This is one argument that the IBT is using to tug at the heartstrings of the membership. They are trying to convince the membership that without this ridiculous solution these poor folks would be out the door into the cold. Nobody is going to be kicked out. The question is with respect to the re-badging of MOHO's... Does the end justify the means?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

Wbcci

We joined the local unit five years ago just after buying a 31 year old Safari. The reason we joined was to learn about Airstream and how to fix and maintain them. We learned a little. However, what we got most was a large number of true friends. They are the only reason we stay members. The magazine (Blue Beret) is pitiful and the rallies are not really exciting.
Traveling in our Airstream is where the fun is. Especially the back roads.
D
P.S.
This forum has been a world of help.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
We just applied

As someone who only just applied for membership, and after owning our Airstream since '04, we must answer, It's the people! We've met some really cool folks who belong to WBCCI. We belong to a few sportscar clubs and it's the same there. The hardware only facilitates the intro to the really neat folks using the nuts and bolts. HAPPY TRAILS