Old 01-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #29
NEU Past President
1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Thumbs up Ditto

Originally Posted by rideair
It's responses like these, that make me glad I'm a member of the WBCCI.
Ditto! For us being in the club is worth every penny spent and every fight for change. I did have a period of doubt in recent months but I'm over it now. But, GASP - we still run bald. No numbers displayed on our rig.

There is a couple in our unit that we see at various rallies. These folks purchased a new Airstream and joined the WBCCI in 2003 which is the same year we joined. They are about 15 years older then us and are recently retired. They went on their first caravan in 2005, the "Polar Express" caravan. The better half of the team (wife) compiled a beautiful travelogue of their adventure and shared it with NEU members during our 2005 (?) spring business meeting rally. I borrowed it overnight, sitting in the lounge area of our Airstream looking at the pictures and reading about the places they visited. Only at this point did the light bulb go off for me. The activities the club offers spans many phases of life. For now, it's rallies and short "express caravans" for us due to the yucky work thing. In the not too distant future it will be rallies and long term caravans for us. The "old" people taking part won't look so old to us as we will be of the same generation.

Bottom-line is we do not want the WBCCI to fail, to no longer exist. We love the "fun, fellowship and adventure" we've enjoyed with the New England Unit and hope to expand to long distance caravaning once we retire.

Michelle & Leon
New England Unit

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member
1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
I joined the WBCCI in 1989 after purchasing my first Airstream a month or so earlier. To me it seemed like the first thing to do was to join up with a group that has a similar interest.Also I was 18 years old at the time.So I joined the Georgia Unit and I have remained a member since. We have a beautiful park in the North GA mountains that any WBCCI member can enjoy and a great group of members. I have only attended two other unit rallies besides my unit and hope when time permits we will be able to attend others. I am planning on going to the International rally this year since it is so close to me and hope to see all those shiny airstreams grouped together that has to be an awesome sight . I am planning on remaining a WBCCI member for years to come so when I slow down from work and or retire then I can return some of the volunteer work that my predecessors have put so much into.As someone else said earlier you only get out of it what you put into it. Happy Airstreaming. Davis

1991 Airstream Excella 1000 34ft (SOLD)
1994 Chevrolet Crew Cab dually 2WD 6.5td
2005 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 2WD 5.3
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member
2000 31' Land Yacht
Actually, I am not really sure just why I renewed this year. It was touch and go for us. I finally renewed with wdcu. Our previous unit, Metro Detroit, didn't follow the member's desires on changing the name. The Iowa unit didn't either, so decided that if I was to be a member, it would have to be in a unit that followed its member wishes on the name change vote.

Since we now live in Iowa, we are associate members in the Iowa unit. Lots of nice people, but stuck in the cheap parking (fairgrounds) rally mode with every minute planned. Not really my cup of tea, so have only attended one unit rally in the past year. We really enjoy the Forums rallies. Laid back and relaxing. Just got back from the Can Opener Rally, probably the largest forum rally ever. A great time was had by all. Great food and the wide range of ages, both people and Airstreams made it doubly fun.

We have done several caravans. A couple were great, and the others OK. Do have a problem with being treated as if I can't read, so a drivers meeting every night to read us what is in the driver's manual. We were able to travel every state in this wonderful country without hand holding, so resent the implication that I can't follow a drivers manual.

Jim & Marianne Mickle 6980
Marion, Iowa
2000 30 ft Land Yacht
1991 34 ft Excella
Members since 1999
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #32
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Good Question. I am not sure. I signed up as soon as I had a serial number. I was excited. I attended part of our units rally last spring. Nice people but not my generation. I had little in common other than the airstream.
I attended the Can opener. Many from my generation. I had much to talk about. I enjoyed talking to everyone and especially my time with david shopping for Jumbalya parts.
My work schedule will prevent me from attending most WBCCI rallys. I would like to see it change and survive. Get rid of some of formality and politics. That is what I really enjoyed about the Can opener. Dinner will be around 5-6 and end whenever. I enjoyed the lack of formality. It was about having a good time.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California

My wife and I are WBCCI "newbies." We will stay members to connect with the AS history and traditions, on the hope of getting to attend a rally or caravan and meet some of the people in this thread (and other WBCCI members), and to contribute as we can to making the WBCCI a better, more responsive, evolving member club.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #34
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE
2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
"The history, continuity, and roots of the club. We are not big participators, but want to remain members." (quote, Moosetags)

Our sentiments, exactly. Maybe someday, we'll change from MAL, join a unit, and find a great set of friends there too.
The above goes for us too, maybe one day we will have more time!

CaliforniaStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
Why do you stay a WBCCI member?

We stay for the wonderful people in our unit. We have fun and everone cares about their fellow campers.

I must say however, that I really don't care for the red numbers! We put them on a piece of plexiglass at our rallies.

Lee Pace
72 Tradewind
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
For us, it is all in our unit. The Northern Illinois unit has been the best part of the WBCCI. This is my third year (can't wait for the fiith and a cool star to add to the trailer) and I am looking forward to another great year of hanging out with my friends in Amboy and about. I hope to see another mystry rally too.

If it were not for our unit I would just run blue numbers.
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
It starts with an ageless design, quality product. Association with other club members that share a fairly common set of values that start with the airstream trailer but, extend far beyound. Friendships that are past, present, and on down the road. Caravans to the places we want to go that continually re-establish the friendships we have made and continue to make every year. Local unit friendships. A club program of local, state, & national rallies that offer us opportunities to travel and see what is over the next hill.

Can't wait to hookup and head for Natchez, Miss this March for the region 6 rally.

It works for us.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #38
2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Thumbs up Because of the PEOPLE

To tell the truth I had never heard of Wally Byam before we bought an Airstream. We had moved up from tent camping to Popup camping and now we are on our 2nd Airstream. We had no idea what we were doing when it came to using a real trailer. We joined our Unit befor we even took possision of our trailer. My wife went to a rally to meet the folks and was welcomed with wide open arms and trailer doors. These people had no idea who we were but welcomed us with open hearts and minds.

I learned of Wally and the WBCCI history from first hand account from people who were there and did it when the history happened. I have learnd so much and continue to learn more about my trailer from fellow members at each and every event we attend. We are only in our fourites and still work fulltime so we have yet to go on a caravan, we have not used coursty parking, due to limited vacation time we can not attend all the rallies we want. But we are and will continue to be Members for one main reason.

Forget about the bickering and the rules and just get out there and camp. You will meet the best people in the world at WBCCI events, and you will look foward to seeing them again down the road. Sure you will run int a few bad apples but such is life, and the sweeky wheels will get the most press , but overall its all good.
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #39
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Why did I join, or why do I stay?

First, join: I thought long and hard before joining WBCCI - my parents are members and I remember some of the insanity I saw in certain rallies I attended with them - the hours-long business meeting at one rally (our first, in fact) was definitely a turn off. We got kicked out of the restaurant! I remembered the politics with distaste. BUT... I'd heard, from several people, that the WDCU was not your usual WBCCI unit, so I thought I'd give them a try - the $1 annual fee said something about the unit, too - sort of like they had to charge a fee but didn't really want to.

Stay: With some of the more recent arguments (as a motorhome owner, I've been made to feel like a third-class citizen lately, but I don't even have a class A - I have a class B - I'm sure some of the purists in this club would dump me in a heartbeat if they had half the chance), I'm wondering why I stay...except that I had a GREAT time with the WDCU on the one rally I went on with them so far. That's the only thing holding me back from cancelling my membership.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Why did I join and why do I maintain my membership?

History certainly has something to do with it, and the fine group of people I've met in the NorCal unit.

This forum is also great and provides many of the same benefits (minus history) for probably a younger rehab-it crowd.

So...I'll stick with both.
2005 25' Safari SS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbodiesel
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
I stay because of the people, the Airstream and the fun and friendship that goes hand and hand.

The Nevada Unit only has 25 families and because of age or health only eleven actually turn wheels. Some of the members have been in WBCCI many years and even though they no longer trailer they hang on to that friendship by attending our monthly breakfast. These friendships last forever.

My wife and I will turn 65 this year and have been retired for four years. Members of WBCCI since July 2005. Before Airstream we did some travel and too much sitting at home in front of the tube. Now officers in the unit and very active we enjoy keeping on the go. Currently we are on the committee planning the Region 12 Fall Rally October of 2007.

Also I love the NUMBERS.
Charlie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Why we joined…. Seemed like a good idea… An opportunity to learn a bit about camping with an Airstream from others who had already done it. We really knew nothing about the club before we sent in our dues… mainly did it to get a magazine and learn about the club. We went to our first rally and did not know one person in the club before we got there.

What we found… Our first rally we barely got out of our truck and several people greeted us as if they knew us. Everyone we met was helpful and interesting. The rallies have been relaxing with good activities.

Why we stay… Hmmmm Ask me why I continue to pay big bucks to go to my health club and I never seem to get there… No really, we are very busy both personally and professionally but it is a good opportunity to get together with friends and to make new ones. We can’t make all the rallies because we try to get out in the Airstream for 1 or 2, two week long trips a year by ourselves, and to take other vacations (Non-Airstream ). I particularly like what has happened recently with the New England Unit too, in that several people have got together in "ad hoc" get togethers… We caught up with some folks on Thanksgiving for a nice get together and hope we can do more of those. I see the New England Unit growing in a manner I really like (family friendly, relaxed) that’s why I think it is growing in numbers too. I am optimistic that this is where the club is going and I will stay a member for many years to come. And yes, I will get to that health club tonight after work

DEO is offline   Reply With Quote