Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Why did leave WBCCI ?
Cost too much 13 15.66%
Not enough value for the membership fee 24 28.92%
Too many rules 31 37.35%
I don't need to belong to group to enjoy camping 29 34.94%
Bad experience 15 18.07%
Other reason(s) 19 22.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #181
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Yes, I did let them know I was Jewish. However, I take a "wait and see" approach with this stuff. Since I have lived in the Mid-West, I have met people, told them I was Jewish, and the response (no kidding) was "Oh. Is that like being Presbyterian?" LOL So I will give it a bit longer. And in the mean time, have already scheduled myself for a rally with a different group. )
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #182
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I'm going to assume that you didn't intend your response as rude. I didn't have a bad day. I enjoyed the rally. I made friends. I'm not quite ready to torch them, so to speak. I am rather overly patient with people and take a "wait and see" approach. There are people in the Mid-West, who despite having traveled a great deal, have never lived anywhere except in the same small town. There are people who honestly don't understand or know what "Jewish" even IS. Seriously. LOL. So although it will be a while before I see them again, because the next luncheon is scheduled on a High Holy day, I may still go back. No one was unfriendly. And no one at all was intentionally rude to me. Also, they don't know that I was dismayed by all the Christian prayer. Because I don't necessarily expect people to suddenly change because I show up and have different ideas. So I may very well go back. :0)
Old 09-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #183
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Eliana that response was for Protag. When they highlight the little gray box from someone else's response it usually means they are just addressing that portion.

Sounds like your are taking care of it in a positive way. Patience, is a great character trait especially when someone is slow to catch on.

We also have a great rally group that focuses more on camping, eating and hanging out than traditions.

Let us know how your next rally with the new group hoes.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Eliana, Although our events are normally Ohio based, please know you are always welcome to join us at a NOVA rally.

I think you would like our group, we consider the most important things eating and socializing.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #185
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Eliana, WELCOME to the discussion forums.

And... I understand your comments completely. Although raised a Presbyterian, I am continuing my "search" for Truth and am appalled at the frequency at which public-prayer leaders behave so ignorantly as to the possibilities of religious-diversity, and lead so disrespectfully toward the audience who doubtless are diverse.

Unless one is leading prayer in YOUR OWN CONGREGATION then it is disprespectful... and for those who profess Christianity... UN-Christian (I.E. UN-Loving) to so rudely impose upon others. Not just for Jews and Islamist, but for Unitarians, Deists, Buddhists, Zoroastrianists, ...the list goes on and on.

The Airstream community professes to desire an increase in numbers... but behave as if they actually believe themselves exclusive and pure.

I am becoming dubious of those who insist upon making a Man into a God without recognizing they may not have the only answer.

Don't give up. Truth suffers when Good people fail to question it.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #186
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I thought I was joining a camping club....
Eliana, First let me wish you Shana Tovah from southern California. I have been trailer camping since 1972 (though not always with an Airstream, though I've owned a 62 Bambi.) For the past ten years I have owned a 1955 Airlight 15' about which Airstreamers sometimes ask: Which Airstream is this?

But I digress. You have raised an important issue on this forum. However, both the question and its answer is broader than just the culture of WBCCI. I have rallied both in WBCCI and among a more diverse group of vintage trailerists. The problem you've pointed to, alas, transcends Airstream-only rallies to include many vintage trailer rallies (the ones with which I am most familiar.)

However, I believe you can find camping groups that are less, uh...well... monochromatic, with greater frequency in the trailering world at large. We have made great friends among fellow vintage trailerists, returning annually to big campouts year after year. On facebook, you can find a page offering heimish camping/Airstream connections.

B'Shalom, and May you be Sealed for a Good Year!
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.17.04 AM.png
Views:	170
Size:	773.8 KB
ID:	295594  
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #187
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
I know the feeling of being 20-40 years younger than everyone in my unit. I'm the youngest member in my unit and I do some rallies with them. How ever I love spending most of my time with the VAC. Very relaxed group. Younger crowds and not be on the Christian faith. We like to do tech rallies, crafts, check out the towns and sometimes do nothing and sitting around a campfire and enjoy the company of others! Yes we do have like open house and yes happy hour. We are part of the WBCCI as in intra club. Come out and visit a VAC rally. We are holding one this weekend in Leavenworth KS. More info just pm me.

Rachel
VAC 2nd VP
WBCCI 9380 1962 Tradewind "Agnes"

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Reminds me about an incident many years ago in San Diego. A fellow engineer and I were going to los Angela for a technical convention, and we ride in my car. Halfway to LA I casually mentioned that breakfast was a good idea.

He said, "I know a great deli in the next town. "

So we pulled in there for breakfast. The place was obviously keeping Kosher, and on the front door were pictures of the owner's son at his Bar Mitzvah.

So we went in, sat down, and I ordered a smoked whitefish plate with all the trimmings, and I do not remember what he ordered.

So I'm eating this lovely plate, enjoying myself, and he suddenly says, "I didn't know you were Jewish...!" I should note that the he was in fact Jewish, and I knew it.

My reply was, no, I'm not, but I appreciate a good deli meal, especially smoked whitefish, which is something I grew up on in Chicago. It's still great food, and it does not care what I believe in!"

It was funny to see how surprised he was! So we talked about beliefs, and some history, etc. And he was still asking, "Are you sure you are not Jewish?" "Nope, Norwegian and raised Lutheran, but I know good food when I see it."

Was an interesting day...

It just illustrates that many cultures and religions make up this country, and anyone can get along if we leave space for each other, with respect.

<stepping off soapbox now>
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:16 AM   #189
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I used to be sysop for an online group of several thousand Lazy Daze motorhome owners. One thing we asked of members was to avoid discussions of guns, politics or religion--subjects that people feel passionate about and can't agree on. Compared to other groups I followed, we avoided a lot of unpleasantness that way.

Eliana's experience--"everything is preceded with a decidedly Christian prayer"--makes me ask, "What was religion--any religion--doing in an RV rally in the first place?" If I were wagonmaster for a rally, I would never drag religion into it, any more than I would schedule a political debate as part of the activities. At best, somebody's feelings are likely to be hurt. At worst, angry disputes and broken friendships can result. It just seems like a bad idea.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #190
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Shalom, Michael,
Funny, but my first trailer was a '61 Shasta Airflyte. I belonged to a club, but never went on any vintage rallies. But yes, most of the folks were across the board white, Christian, and conservative. Anyway, this was my first camper, and after a couple of short trips, I took it on an 8 week trip to south Florida, which ended my love affair with "glampers". By the time I hit St. Louis on my way home, I was ready to drive it in the river! I had been looking at Airstreams, so I ended up driving straight to the nearest dealership, and bought my 20' Flying Cloud.

Besides my food issue, I also travel with a Doberman puppy I am planning to show, and he's about 85 pounds now and BOUNCY. That also affects my ability to participate in every single event planned on rallies, because I don't like leaving him alone for long periods in the trailer. But I just do what I can, and do what interests me.

I asked around my shul, and someone told me that there ARE actually Jewish camping groups. But no one elaborated on whether this meant RV's, or just the usual summer camps. Anyway, I will just have to experiment, I guess. I have decided to start looking at rallies further away from home.

Eliana
Old 09-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
What ever happens to tolerance? Why does a group needs to change there ways because some does not like it?
If we sit at a meal and someone as to pray I have no objections. I do not care to whom he prays or what religion he belongs.
I find it strange that we cannot live with our differences and embrace them and take the best from everything.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #192
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
What ever happens to tolerance? Why does a group needs to change there ways because some does not like it?
If we sit at a meal and someone as to pray I have no objections. I do not care to whom he prays or what religion he belongs.
I find it strange that we cannot live with our differences and embrace them and take the best from everything.
I am reminded of a dialogue in the first episode of the late, lamented television series Firefly.
Shepherd Book: "Do you mind if I say grace?"
Captain Reynolds: "Only if you say it out loud."
Not saying whether I agree with Captain Reynolds on that score.

I personally don't care what higher power a person believes in, if any. As long as they don't try to convert me without my expressed permission, I won't try to convert them, either.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Protagonist, "You are the wind beneath my wings," Great thought.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #194
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Thanks, PSchw, for creating a lively paradox. "What happens to tolerance?" followed by the rhetorical question "Why does a group have to adapt?" is a fascinating contradiction.

No reasonable person objects to someone at a meal saying a prayer to themselves before eating. But that, of course, is not what happened to the original poster. If I had been ambushed at a meal by not being advised it was a very narrow (read:specific) religious ritual or observance, I would have likewise been made to feel I had stumbled into the wrong event.

How "tolerant" would you be, PSchw, had you inadvertently joined say, a rally organized by Muslim Airstreamers (oh yes there are!) and been ambushed by an unannounced religious practice, one which made you feel uncomfortable?

Hmmm?
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #195
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
Thanks, PSchw, for creating a lively paradox. "What happens to tolerance?" followed by the rhetorical question "Why does a group have to adapt?" is a fascinating contradiction.

No reasonable person objects to someone at a meal saying a prayer to themselves before eating. But that, of course, is not what happened to the original poster. If I had been ambushed at a meal by not being advised it was a very narrow (read:specific) religious ritual or observance, I would have likewise been made to feel I had stumbled into the wrong event.

How "tolerant" would you be, PSchw, had you inadvertently joined say, a rally organized by Muslim Airstreamers (oh yes there are!) and been ambushed by an unannounced religious practice, one which made you feel uncomfortable?

Hmmm?

Thanks for you contribution and getting me thinking more about this issue.

I guess adopt to something or somebody is considered tolerance? So the majority has to accommodate the individual?

As an immigrant myself I choose to live in a country build on Christian believes and I tolerate the Christian customers in groups I join.

Ambushed by Christian prayer/praxis is a little strong.

I travel in to many different cultures and religion area yes also Muslim and I guess was ambushed to join them in different rituals they did which I did just to be tolerant and courteous to my host. In some cases I enjoyed it special if it hat to do with food.

And if it is too much for an individual to tolerate he always have the choice to leave.

I fare away from being religious but I can tolerate it.

That are my 2 cent and please excuse my limited knowledge of the English language.

Wally
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #196
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
And if it is too much for an individual to tolerate he always have the choice to leave.
Which was the point of this thread, right? To find out why people leave the WBCCI?
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I remember a RADIO program called "The Don McNeil Breakfast Club". As it was, prayer was said before the meal (one was eating at home) it was something like this:
"Each in his own words and each in his own way, let's bow our heads and pray".
Eliana; I think YOU showed some disrespect in "walking out". I have gone to different homes and churches and I respect their methods of worship, I am Catholic. I don't try to change them, and don't try to change me; religion, politics, guns or money etc.
I recently went to a Morman Festival in Navoo Il. and attended most of their outside activities, only Mormans can go in the Temple. Not once did anyone come up and try to get me to join, but they did explain their beliefs. They did make me feel welcome.
MJ
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #198
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I'm going to assume that you didn't intend your response as rude. I didn't have a bad day. I enjoyed the rally. I made friends. I'm not quite ready to torch them, so to speak. I am rather overly patient with people and take a "wait and see" approach. There are people in the Mid-West, who despite having traveled a great deal, have never lived anywhere except in the same small town. There are people who honestly don't understand or know what "Jewish" even IS. Seriously. LOL. So although it will be a while before I see them again, because the next luncheon is scheduled on a High Holy day, I may still go back. No one was unfriendly. And no one at all was intentionally rude to me. Also, they don't know that I was dismayed by all the Christian prayer. Because I don't necessarily expect people to suddenly change because I show up and have different ideas. So I may very well go back. :0)
Welcome to the club. I totally "get" what your experience was like. I grew up in Missouri (eastern Jackson County) and I had never met a Jewish person until I went to Missouri University. Many many years later, I now live in California and our unit is secular. We do not have a prayer or any religious rituals. as a club. Those are best left to individuals to practice in their own way. We recently removed the pledge of allegiance requirement from our bylaws (we have members from Great Britain) although that is not why we did it. We are a camping club...we want no drama and no unwelcoming rituals. We camp 3 seasons because we live in California-summers we travel around the country. We invite you join us for a rally...Central Coast California and you will not be the only Jewish or single person there. We haven't served kosher food but are sensitive to allergies, vegan and vegetarian diets. Our youngest member is 1 year old and our oldest--well one member has 8 stars on his rig. Welcome to the club.
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #199
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Mid-Missouri Fall Boondocking Rally

Did you see this rally happening this coming weekend north of Columbia? Sounds like fun. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #200
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Welcome to the club. I totally "get" what your experience was like. I grew up in Missouri (eastern Jackson County) and I had never met a Jewish person until I went to Missouri University. Many many years later, I now live in California and our unit is secular. We do not have a prayer or any religious rituals. as a club. Those are best left to individuals to practice in their own way. We recently removed the pledge of allegiance requirement from our bylaws (we have members from Great Britain) although that is not why we did it. We are a camping club...we want no drama and no unwelcoming rituals. We camp 3 seasons because we live in California-summers we travel around the country. We invite you join us for a rally...Central Coast California and you will not be the only Jewish or single person there. We haven't served kosher food but are sensitive to allergies, vegan and vegetarian diets. Our youngest member is 1 year old and our oldest--well one member has 8 stars on his rig. Welcome to the club.
That kind of kind of submission to any group....

"We recently removed the pledge of allegiance requirement from our bylaws"

is the reason I will never leave the WBCCI as I will not have joined. I will remain a patriot of the "USA"

LynnSr
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote