Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Why did leave WBCCI ?
Cost too much 13 15.66%
Not enough value for the membership fee 24 28.92%
Too many rules 31 37.35%
I don't need to belong to group to enjoy camping 29 34.94%
Bad experience 15 18.07%
Other reason(s) 19 22.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
You can believe what everyone else says or you can make up your own mind based on your experiences. Check out the South East Camping unit.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
That appeals to us as well, tradition, history, and camaraderie. But with the rigidity and negativity (broadly speaking) I've seen mentioned on countless old threads, and now this one, I'm hesitant to take my small kids and wife to any WBCCI Rally, event, etc.

Sounds more like an organization for folks with one foot in the grave based on reports here. Somehow thinking structure equates to purpose. The purpose in camping is to have fun. Well, to me at any rate.

Activities for kids (that they actually enjoy), lawn games like horse shoe contest with cold beer in early afternoon, a pig pickin, a fish fry, some live music on Sat night, that sounds fun.

Themed nights regarding music such as beach music (shag dancing), country/bluegrass, and Motown, stuff that crosses generations and endures.

Some adult, older adult, activities of course as well. Something for everyone is all I'm suggesting. Our 'real' life offers all the structure and rigidity we can stand.

Hopefully I'm misguided, but I have not read anything that suggest WBCCI does anything to attract, nor retain, young families like ours. Might revisit this idea later if any reason to join surfaces. At the moment, a reason for us to join appears a white elephant.

Dan
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #82
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Hey Dan, rest easy. You have just described Alumalina. When you come, you will see the best of the WBCCI members, mixed with the best of the non members, all together, all having a fantastic time. One big, happy family. You will not be able to distinguish members from non members.

Then you can decide for yourself whether or not to join.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I can tell you from experience that WBCCI Units are as different as their members want them to be. I have been a member of one of the more traditional units, serving in various capacities. I am a founding member of one of the least traditional. You should visit several units before making a decision. You have numerous opportunities coming this fall.

The WBCCI.org web page as a schedule of rallies. One of those, which will give you a taste of a number of different units, is the Carolinas Mountain Jamboree. This event will be held at Palmetto Cove in October.

You will find the details here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ng-133334.html

There will be members from a number of units in the southeast. You do NOT have to join to attend. I think you will decide to join before you leave. Send me a PM if you have any additional questions.

Matt Hackney, President
Region 3, WBCCI
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I didn't join right away, because I wasn't aware of a local unit.
Come to find out, the man 2 doors down is president of the Mississippi Unit.
So far, I've only been to one WBCCI rally and we really enjoyed it.
I joined in part to get the big red numbers.
I think you get out of anything what you expect- if you expect it to be fun, it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Hey Dan, rest easy. You have just described Alumalina. When you come, you will see the best of the WBCCI..

John,

I didn't realize Alumalina was a WBCCI rally. If so, I do need to take a few steps back indeed. Aside from you, your sister/sister in law?, 3-4 other folks sent me PM's encouraging us to attend. Made my wife and I want to be there. We met Msmoto yesterday too, what a great lady. We will definitely be there, wife just found out her vacation request was approved at work. Nothing I've read about WBCCI syncs with what I've heard and read about Alumalina. Where's the disconnect? I'm more confused now than I was.

Matt,

Is the Mountain Jamboree you mention a different event than Alumalina? You linked the Alumalina thread, but this is the first time I've seen the Mountain Jamboree title used. Not being difficult, I just don't want to miss out

Mike,

Couldn't agree more man. Few instances in life where 'you get what you give' doesn't apply. Our cup is half full, which does make us picky of the company we keep. A motivator in my reading everything I see with WBCCI in title, even though we haven't even bought our riveted home base escape pod yet.

To anyone whom can answer...

Assuming there is variance in WBCCI chapters, how do I find the cultured redneck (can type and went to college), one generation removed from poverty, moderately rowdy but respectful, have a good time till 11 pm crowd?

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Dan - here's one way - email that last paragraph to all the unit presidents - see what kind of response you get and the ones that resonate are good candidates to join! 😃
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

Great idea man/woman.

Dang it, did it again didn't I?

Seems I always under sell myself.

Might be better off researching Boondocking

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Great idea man/woman.

Dang it, did it again didn't I?

Seems I always under sell myself.

Might be better off researching Boondocking

No, I'm totally serious!!

For starters - some won't even email you back - scratch them off the list - some will chastise you for buffoonery or skullduggery - that won't do - and some will tell you you'd fit right in - and that's where you start!

I really like the idea!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
well..... NOVA has members as classy as New York lawyers to, well, me!

I invite you to check out www.campnova.com to see our "alternative" unit.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

Most events, while interesting, are a bit out of reach geographically for us. Nice and informative website, and I'm encouraged by your mission statement. Hope there are more units out there with similarly forward thinking individuals calling the shots.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #91
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
I'm joining simply because my Grandparents were members (now deceased) and my paternal aunt and uncle are still active members of the Top of Georgia unit. I may show up and an event, and I may not, but the WBCCI rally's hold good memories for me of traveling with my grandparents. I don't remember any dress or tie formal wear however. I swore off ties in 1996 and haven't worn one since. I guess they'd kick me out cause I 'ain't' wearing one! Anyway, I am in the process of securing the number that was on my grandparents first Airstream. As seems the case with just about anything in this Country, when you introduce politics into an organization ... you introduce trouble.
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

Grandparents numbers. Good stuff man. Good stuff.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe units are different. Maybe national or international rallies are different.
No formal,attire at Mississippi Unit rallies. There is at least one morning of "business meeting" at breakfast.
I even enjoy that part. I guess our unit is easy-going because there is no arguing. Everybody seems to enjoy it.
One thing I do notice, though- most of our members have passed the age of 70-
That's alright, though- more wisdom and example on living life for us younger members-
It does seem to be an activity for mostly retired folk, but we participate when we can.
It almost seems necessary to have the iconic big red numbers. To me, that is just part of my lifelong dream of owning an Airstream trailer.
This all makes sense for someone who has always tent camped. A trailer is just the next natural step.
I'm not sure about people who have never camped and then invest $150,000 in a truck 'n' trailer- or a $400,000 diesel bus-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-20-2015, 05:11 AM   #94
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So, why exactly did you leave the WBCCI? I missed that part. Wait, what was this thread titled?...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #95
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
You will like it

Hey Dan, sorry for the confusion. My intent was to say that as club members, we will always welcome an opportunity to invite you to join, but no one will ever twist your arm or trick you into joining.

Alumalina and the Mountain Jamboree are one in the same. It is not a WBCCI event but I have specifically reached out and invited any club members who do not follow Airforums. That is the Mountain Jamboree part.

At all previous 7 Alumalina rallies nearly 50% of those attending were WBCCI members. They are indistinguishable.

Point being there is no difference, everyone wears the same smile, enjoys the same things.

Don't worry about bringing your cooler, I will have plenty of cold beer, single malt Scotch, and some very good bourbon. Just bring a DD.

I am a grad of ASU (Boone) but never learned to type. Not too good at grammar or spelling either. I have been known to stay up too late and howl at the moon. I might even be seen wearing a blue beret sometimes (I like that darn thing).

I have been described as being honest to a fault....so when I say ''you will like it'', it is the truth.

Bottom line.....the WBCCI is not a bad thing. It is not a ''one size fits all'' club but it is not a bad club. It is a special club dedicated to a special trailer (and Moho) and worthy of your own determination. You will not need me, or anyone else, to make your decision.

Alumalina will be a great tool to help make your decision.

You will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 08-20-2015, 05:37 AM   #96
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Sorry Castaway, got a bit off topic. Just had to speak up.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Hey Dan, sorry for the confusion. My intent was to say that as club members, we will always welcome an opportunity to invite you to join, but no one will ever twist your arm or trick you into joining.

Alumalina and the Mountain Jamboree are one in the same. It is not a WBCCI event but I have specifically reached out and invited any club members who do not follow Airforums. That is the Mountain Jamboree part.
Sandpaper, thanks for the calming comments. Very informative. If I were eligible I would be there. To be on topic I left the club because I had to sell my AS. Sad day in our lives. Thanks again.
At all previous 7 Alumalina rallies nearly 50% of those attending were WBCCI members. They are indistinguishable.

Point being there is no difference, everyone wears the same smile, enjoys the same things.

Don't worry about bringing your cooler, I will have plenty of cold beer, single malt Scotch, and some very good bourbon. Just bring a DD.

I am a grad of ASU (Boone) but never learned to type. Not too good at grammar or spelling either. I have been known to stay up too late and howl at the moon. I might even be seen wearing a blue beret sometimes (I like that darn thing).

I have been described as being honest to a fault....so when I say ''you will like it'', it is the truth.

Bottom line.....the WBCCI is not a bad thing. It is not a ''one size fits all'' club but it is not a bad club. It is a special club dedicated to a special trailer (and Moho) and worthy of your own determination. You will not need me, or anyone else, to make your decision.

Alumalina will be a great tool to help make your decision.

You will like it.
thanks for the calming informative post. You summed up all the reasons we liked the club. We had to sell the AS, really miss it and all the opportunities it gave us. Someday in another life I will have another AS and will rejoin. Peace, brother.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:56 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
So, why exactly did you leave the WBCCI? I missed that part. Wait, what was this thread titled?...

I haven't left-
My point is that some people's perception of the club or some people's gripes about the club don't apply to our unit.
It's all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

Thanks John. 'Honest to a fault', not possible. We are in short supply of it.

See you there. Carrie and I couldn't be more excited.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Might leave and heres why

When I joined I picked a group I thought would be my kind of group. The group never bothered to contact me, even after I emailed multiple people in the group. Obviously I don't want to be in that group anymore. I don't have time to keep pursuing this. I am just a number apparently.
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote