Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Why did leave WBCCI ?
Cost too much 13 15.66%
Not enough value for the membership fee 24 28.92%
Too many rules 31 37.35%
I don't need to belong to group to enjoy camping 29 34.94%
Bad experience 15 18.07%
Other reason(s) 19 22.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #121
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
JUST joined WBCCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I haven't left yet but I posted this on the other thread about membership poll:

We have been a member since 2009. When I first got the "promo" packet from WBCCI, the dvd was like something from the 60's and every picture in the Blue Beret was really very old people. Lots of them. All of them.
When we went to our first rally, I told my wife "If we can get thru this first weekend without having to do CPR, maybe we'll hang in there for a while." We even thought about bringing a defibrillator from her office. Seriously. As it turned out, we had a great time and have made a lot of good friends of all ages that we often see outside the rallies.
My wife is on the local board and we have hosted several rallies. We DO NOT wear berets or ties. In fact, I've never seen a tie at any rally and beret maybe once or twice. We go to great locations, have great food, have fun and interesting events, and happy hour starts promptly at 5 every time.
That being said, the governing board is bloated, bureaucratic, somewhat autocratic with entrenched leadership, way out of date and out of touch, has ancient and silly rules like dress codes, and sometimes acts more like a Christian organization than a camping club.
For example, at the last international rally, one of our board members towed her trailer all the way there by herself only to discover that no one would help her park her trailer of even show her the way because it was the "Lord's day." That didn't stop them from smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol, so I guess that's approved by the Lord but not parking. Many locals start the meeting, meals, or events with prayers honoring Jesus. That gets right in your face if you're Jewish or another faith that doesn't recognize Jesus. It's a CAMPING CLUB!!!!
The international organization election of board members is really a coronation as a "nominating committee" selects one person to run for each office. So why bother voting.
Our unit is very open, progressive, inviting, tolerant, and full of fun people of all ages and convictions. While some other units are shrinking we are one of the fastest growing units. You almost never hear any discussion of religion or politics except that religion plays way too big a role in the organization. I can't even figure out how religion became so entwined in the club. Nothing I've ever read about Wally Byam indicated any religion was a major part of his life or had anything to do with Airstreams. In fact, when asked, he said "His religion was camping."
If it wasn't for the clubs insurance coverage for rallies and caravans, many of our members don't see a huge benefit to the larger organization. Probably the single biggest and best benefit is meeting the members of other local units. Very few of our members go the the international. There's just not much interest in except for a few who are trying to inject new blood into the leadership. Kind of a Don Quixote thing maybe. I wish them the best but frankly, I find many other ways to beat by head against a wall with better results.
I read all the comments so far and only a couple know what they are writing about. The rest are uniformed, too cheap to even being a contributing member here, clearly don't like people, or people don't like them so they don't see any reason to socialize beyond Facebook, the narcissists playground. Sorry, my rant drifted a little off course.
None the less, I stay in the organization because of all the wonderful and generous people we have met traveling the US. For example, the organizers of the Mardi Gras and Albuquerque Balloon Festival have worked so hard to put on a premiere event, that I feel both obligated and privileged to support their efforts.
I about fell off my chair laughing so hard at your comment "maybe we should bring a defibrillator". YES the bulk of the members we met at Top of Georgia Airstream Park were that old!!!! Yet there were younger folks also at that park, gay couples, families, and I assure you that the Top of Georgia WBCCI property in Helen Georgia is NOT a concrete jungle! Happy to be a member and explore all that membership offers and all the knowledge gained from the old timers!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #122
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
We simply did not renew our membership because it provided no value other than a periodic newsletter. Numerous times we tried to register for a caravan and they were always full; very disappointing because the WBCCI representative at Alumapalooza emphasized caravans.
Kokomogoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #123
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokomogoggy View Post
Numerous times we tried to register for a caravan and they were always full; very disappointing because the WBCCI representative at Alumapalooza emphasized caravans.
I still belong to WBCCI, but I'm on my third different Unit membership, having decided that the first two Units I tried were not a good fit for me.

There are plenty of WBCCI members who tell me "It's all about the caravans." But I can't live my life by signing up for a caravan two years from now and then having to wait the next 23 months to find out whether enough people have dropped out for me to move up the waiting list into a vacant spot.

If I'm going to make plans that far in advance, I'm going to plan on sure things, not on maybe-if-I'm-lucky happenstance. Planning on being lucky is like not planning at all, only worse.

The caravan situation is not helped by people who sign up for nearly EVERY caravan— because they want to go on one and it doesn't much matter to them WHICH one— and then cancel out on all the others many months later once they actually make it into a vacant spot on one of them. And in fact it was a caravan leader who advised me to use that tactic, and told me it was the way it's always done.

So I've decided, no WBCCI caravans for me, ever. Can't miss what I never had. And I know from experience, it's not all about the caravans. It's about the rallies. Rallies are easy to sign up for, and you usually know right away if you have a spot.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Will someone please edit "To many rules" to "Too many rules"?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
to late.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #126
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Only if you can tell us which rule it's breaking…
Old 09-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
May not be breaking any WBCCI rule, but...
It is breaking a grammar/usage/English rule...
To vs. Too. To is a preposition with several meanings, including “toward” and “until.” Too is an adverb that can mean “excessively” or “also.” Just to be clear: two is pronounced the same as to and too, but it can't be used instead of either of them because it's a number.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
to late.
Or is it two late?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Or is it two late?

Tool eight?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #130
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Ironic that this type of discussion is quite similar to what drives folks away from WBCCI. "If you don't do it just so and so, we don't want you around."

Used to get excited about language skills until dealing with a large number of "English is a second or third language for me" scientists and managers. Learning to deal with variance was a much better way to get business done. Similar case with forums. Get on with life. It's too short to waste. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There is and interesting thing about to happen. FMCA is having the members vote this week to allow none motor-homes into the club. Yes their membership, like WBCCI, is aging and reducing in numbers also. But rather than exclude potential members that won't drink the cool aid they are reaching out for new members.

Historically FMCA has had some interesting advantages for its members. Very inexpensive on the road emergency health care and a tire purchase agreement with Michelin.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Actually a spelling error did keep me from joining for a couple of years.
I did call WBCCI headquarters so the error could be corrected.
A postcard that came with my trailer when I bought it stated that "fun and aventure awaits"...
I was pretty sure they meant "adventure" and was wondering how that could slip by them.
I'm in the club.
I enjoy the club.
Just saying.
"Too many rules" would be the correct usage, not "To many rules".
Or maybe it is correct if you look at it this way- I am subjected to many rules rather than there are too many rules...
Not really sure the fact I noticed will keep anyone from joining...
It only took me 2 years, 2 months, and 3 days to notice...
I don't actually think there are too many rules at all.
I don't feel at all oppressed by the rules when attending rallies.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Your taking this 2 seriously.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #134
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have edited the poll as requested, but personally don't believe there are too many rules.

I am still a member of the club and I understand how difficult it is to get on a caravan. I suggest that people get on a waiting list and there is a good possibility that you will be called. We were on the Cajun Caravan this year, it was fantastic and the leaders (Larry and Judy) were the best! Next year we are going on the Alaska Caravan and we can't wait...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Thank you!
I am not being 2 serious...
Really...
I am lol'ing.
I agree that there aren't too many rules and really enjoy the club.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Oh no...
I just noticed another one...
Will you please also edit "Cost to much" to "Costs (s on the end) too much"?
Why didn't I notice that earlier?
$80 per year is only too much of you do not participate.
If you are involved $80 per year is a bargain.
Some folks may have dues less than $80 because their local units' dues may not be $15, but $5 or $10.
Other folks may pay more than $80 because their units' dues may be more than $15, like $20 or $25...
Rally fees may vary, but our rally fees are generally $20 per person- a bargain for how many shared meals and campground discounts it gets you...
Our club has plenty of money in the bank. Some clubs may have more. Some clubs may have less. That determines dues and rally fees.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #137
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Done...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I thought about joining to get the discounts on the Airstream only parks but they are so few and far and I between and the yearly cost too high I've decided to forgo. If you join do you have to put those goofy numbers on your trailer?

After reading about the caravan booking debacle that is another reason to skip. A caravan sounds fun but not if you have to book years in advance.

Kelvin
Old 09-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #139
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Why did you leave WBCCI

Quote:
Actually a spelling error did keep me from joining for a couple of years.
I did call WBCCI headquarters so the error could be corrected.
A postcard that came with my trailer when I bought it stated that "fun and aventure awaits"...
I was pretty sure they meant "adventure" and was wondering how that could slip by them.
I'm in the club.
I enjoy the club.
Just saying.
"Too many rules" would be the correct usage, not "To many rules".
Or maybe it is correct if you look at it this way- I am subjected to many rules rather than there are too many rules...
Not really sure the fact I noticed will keep anyone from joining...
It only took me 2 years, 2 months, and 3 days to notice...
I don't actually think there are too many rules at all.
I don't feel at all oppressed by the rules when attending rallies.
This was the best post in the whole thread.

I ain't ever been a club kinda guy, but you folks are funny. Not funny enough to pay for your company, but funny!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #140
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Were members about 10 years ago. I want to be very careful how I word this, as things may not have been how they seemed or may have changed since. Either way, at that time there were moments when it felt like a pyramid scheme.

At a rally with our unit, one of the members lamented that they'd no longer be as active, since they'd been "promoted" (I don't remember the precise word) into regional (or something equivalent) leadership status and would be attending "official" rallies that were not announced in the BB and were not open to the plebs.
At about that time there was a bunch of fuss in the forums and in real life about reimbursements for some members to attend rallies, and a couple other perks I could not find listed in the membership manual. Like I said, at that time and in that place, it felt a lot like a pyramid scheme.

We were contemplating whether to stay or not, and happened to be at Jackson Center for a couple nights shortly before one of the international rallies. Terraported adjacent to a couple motor homes with 3 digit numbers, we attempted to meet, wave at, and/or interact with a couple of the owners as they came and went. Not a one of them so much as returned a wave, and one or two (as I recall) seemed pretty obvious in their efforts to ignore us. That was a powerful vote for leaving.

Now maybe someone was having us on. Maybe there were no official rallies or other unpublished perquisites. Maybe those specific triple digit members have moved on to other pursuits ... maybe a lot of things. But I bet if you tied perquisites to recruitment instead of longevity there'd have been a whole different attitude on display.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote