View Poll Results: Why did leave WBCCI ?
Cost too much 10 16.67%
Not enough value for the membership fee 19 31.67%
Too many rules 21 35.00%
I don't need to belong to group to enjoy camping 25 41.67%
Bad experience 12 20.00%
Other reason(s) 13 21.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #239
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Donít we have a choice of which group (or unit) to join within WBCCI?
I'm on my third Unit (so far). The first was a hot mess, and I only stuck it out as long as I did out of a sense of obligation. I could tell you horror stories about that unit, but suffice to say that it was so bad that from my being "voluntold" to be 2nd VP during my first-ever luncheon with WBCCI, before I had even received my membership badge, until I abdicated my position as president before my term was over because I couldn't stand it anymore, I was appalled at the overall lack of participation. They wanted everything done for them so all they had to do was show up, pay the rally fee, and be entertained. They couldn't even be bothered to call the campground and make their own reservations.

The second unit is a great bunch of folks, but they were too far away, and health problems kept me from participating for the whole year I belonged to that unit.

The third unit seems to be a good fit. Good people willing to share the work, every rally in a different location hosted by a different member and each with a different theme, instead of the president having to do it all for everyone like when I was president of that first unit. And close enough to home that if I have more medical problems in the future, I can still attend some of their functions while I'm at less than full functionality.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #240
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Remember all are welcome at forum rallyes.
L

Old 10-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #241
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Yes, freedom of choice is a nice concept. But think for a minute what you have suggested. I live in the Pacific Northwest and there are not that many units close to me. Say I don't like how the one in Oregon is being run and the one in southern California is not my choice either. So I keep looking and find a really great one in Missouri. I am not sure that would work for me.

This is not like shopping for cars with plenty of dealerships close by.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Balloon Fiesta and Four Corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
If you want to keep the organization going you need to not only keep members but you need to seek out new members. I am not a member but looked very seriously into joining years ago. I followed the fight between the WBCCI members and those who were leaving and those who started up an alternate club and all of that got my attention. The religion thing did if for me but I also took issue with the "I'm in the club and you aren't" persuasive feeling I got. Before you say that your chapter is not like that and that I should look for another one to join, let me remind you that it is not as easy as you might think.

The 4 Corners unit started an outing at the Balloon Festival and invited anyone and everyone to come. Membership was not a requirement. We went and had a great time. We returned a couple of years later and found that the participation was way up and that the WBCCI was now pressuring the 4 Corners unit to limit participation of non members. Well, religion was strike one, and this was strike two. When I have to join to participate it takes on an elitist feel that separates people. I commend the leadership of the 4 Corners unit. This is a chapter that, from what I have heard, is doing it right.

If you want the club to survive you will need to focus on being all inclusive. Holding people captive to prayers to your gods is not being inclusive. Those who have said that you can just sit quietly and not participate simply do not get it. Those who go on to say, if you don't like it you can eat and then leave are the root problem of the dwindling numbers.

Concentrate on a club that avoids religion and politics and you will see an increase in interests. Just my measly two cents worth.
Unfortunately this is exactly how rumors and misinformation gets communicated - I am the founder of the four corners unit as well as the founder of Balloon Fiesta National rally - there has NEVER been any pressure from the WBCCI to limit participation to members of the club - the only requirement is that you own and bring an Airstream product - we just finished another balloon fiesta event this past weekend and frankly I really had no idea - or even care - who was a member or not - we all had a fantastic time and this event is more and more popular each year

And yes I have found the club challenging at times - however the good times I have had and the really great friends that I have made membership one of the best things I have ever done - if you go in with the attitude of how can I make this club better rather than what is the club going to do for me - you are in for a great rewarding experience

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #243
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Yes, freedom of choice is a nice concept. But think for a minute what you have suggested. I live in the Pacific Northwest and there are not that many units close to me. Say I don't like how the one in Oregon is being run and the one in southern California is not my choice either. So I keep looking and find a really great one in Missouri. I am not sure that would work for me.

This is not like shopping for cars with plenty of dealerships close by.
Freedom of choice is more than a concept; itís the reality in a free society. I feel for your situation (or the hypothetical you proposed) but whatís the fix? And whoís responsible for finding the fix? The ďother guyĒ? Or the guy that is dissatisfied with the situation?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #244
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
But think for a minute what you have suggested. I live in the Pacific Northwest and there are not that many units close to me. Say I don't like how the one in Oregon is being run and the one in southern California is not my choice either.
New Units are formed all the time. If memory serves, the Southeastern Camping Unit (SECU) didn't even exist when I joined WBCCI almost 6 years ago.

The newest units, formed by malcontents who weren't satisfied with the units they were in— either because of location or a beef with the old guard in their former units— tend to be the most progressive, innovative, and fun units.

Join the club. Try out a unit. Or two. Or more. And if you don't like any of them, then form your own unit rather than quitting the club. It only takes about 10 members to make a new Unit. If you don't like any unit you try, surely you can find nine others who agree with you. SECU did it. You can, too. Who knows? In a few years, someone from your newly-formed Unit could become a region officer or International officer, and make a real difference for the whole club.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #245
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Why did you leave WBCCI

The point of having different Units (or Clubs, is the preferred phrase) is to offer fun, friendship and adventure to folks in the manner and location they prefer.

The best thing for the members is to participate in a group which fits their needs. The best thing for the club is to encourage these differences among units.

Out unit leaves all plans for a rally in the hands of the volunteer who organized it. Our tradition is to try new and different things. We have several very different events in the near term.

December is a rally that includes Kayaking and a trip to a science center in Georgia. January offers participation in a gathering of members at a Forums event in north Florida. In February, a member will host a rally at their farm, with catered meals and musical entertainment. In March, we will be in the Ga mountains for St. Patrickís Day.

Each rally has a different host, in a different location, and varied attendees. That is not true for all Units in the club, but that is what our members like.

We did quit a Unit in the club to form another. We didnít leave the club, we chose to improve the experience for us.

I hope others do the same for their own groups!
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #246
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
The point of having different Units (or Clubs, is the preferred phrase) is to offer fun, friendship and adventure to folks in the manner and location they prefer.

The best thing for the members is to participate in a group which fits their needs. The best thing for the club is to encourage these differences among units.

Out unit leaves all plans for a rally in the hands of the volunteer who organized it. Our tradition is to try new and different things. We have several very different events in the near term.

December is a rally that includes Kayaking and a trip to a science center in Georgia. January offers participation in a gathering of members at a Forums event in north Florida. In February, a member will host a rally at their farm, with catered meals and musical entertainment. In March, we will be in the Ga mountains for St. Patrickís Day.

Each rally has a different host, in a different location, and varied attendees. That is not true for all Units in the club, but that is what our members like.

We did quit a Unit in the club to form another. We didnít leave the club, we chose to improve the experience for us.

I hope others do the same for their own groups!

The tie to the thread?...

The new Unit was formed from many folks who were ready to leave or had previously left the club. We are growing, several years later.

mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote