Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Why did leave WBCCI ?
Cost too much 13 15.66%
Not enough value for the membership fee 24 28.92%
Too many rules 31 37.35%
I don't need to belong to group to enjoy camping 29 34.94%
Bad experience 15 18.07%
Other reason(s) 19 22.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #281
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We never joined...

...so we never had to leave.

Back in 1989, on our way home from one of our first trips with our "new" '63 Safari we saw a huge gaggle of Airstreams in a field just off the Interstate.
We were so excited... Got off the next exit and made our way back. Found our way to the entrance after about an hour.
We were stopped by a gentleman in a funny hat ...his first words were..."why haven't you put your numbers on"
We hadn't a clue what he was talk'n about.
We explained we had just gotten our AS and we were hoping to get some more info on it and maybe an estimate for a small panel repair.
He insisted we must park off to the side where we were and walk the 1/2 mi to the entrance. 👎 By that time a half dozen funny hats had arrived.
After 15min of trying to convince them that we were no threat to the constitutional stability of their gathering, we decided to leave.

It may be the greatest AS organization in the galaxy, I can't say.
All I know is it was nothing we wanted to be involved with...no regrets.

We were young and knew nothing...now we're old and everyone else knows everything. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #282
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Back in 1989, on our way home from one of our first trips with our "new" '63 Safari we saw a huge gaggle of Airstreams in a field just off the Interstate.
We were so excited... Got off the next exit and made our way back. Found our way to the entrance after about an hour.
We were stopped by a gentleman in a funny hat ...his first words were..."why haven't you put your numbers on"
We explained we had just gotten our AS and we were hoping to get some more info on it and maybe an estimate for a small panel repair.
He insisted we must park off to the side where we were and walk the 1/2 mi to the entrance. [emoji107] By that time a half dozen funny hats had arrived.
After 15min of trying to convince them that we were no threat to the constitutional stability of their gathering, we decided to leave.

We were young and knew nothing...now we're old and everyone else knows everything. [emoji23]

Bob
[emoji631]
Sorry you had a negative experience almost 30 years ago. The WBCCI today is much different than the WBCCI of 1989. Much has changed in the outside world as well in almost 30 years.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #283

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Hi John & Vicki!

I've been a member of the OR Unit for 10 years and absolutely love them! I'm also honored to serve as the International 1st Vice President at the ripe old age of 60 😉

Look forward to seeing you at a future rally - happy travels
Mona #152
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #284
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
if you join the club is it a requirement to put the red numbers on your Airstream or is this optional?

Thanks..
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #285
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
if you join the club is it a requirement to put the red numbers on your Airstream or is this optional?

Thanks..
It is optional, but numbers need to be displayed at some events. They can be on plexiglass sheets or other similar items.

With hundreds of similar trailers at some events the numbers are to help locate members.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #286
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
That is great to know thanks. I am a bit particular and the idea of putting red letters on my unit does not excite me.

I am glad there are other options. I do appreciate the info.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #287
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

He insisted we must park off to the side where we were and walk the 1/2 mi to the entrance. 👎 By that time a half dozen funny hats had arrived.

We were young and knew nothing...now we're old and everyone else knows everything. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸

Thank You Kevin

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #288
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Addendum...

Regarding the above post…

Last evening while discussing the Rally episode post with the DW she asked if I had mentioned the positive side of what had happened.
“what positive?” said I 😳

Well it was this...👍

While getting ready to turn around on the dirt two lane we noticed there was another shiny vintage heading towards us. The driver got out and approached. We explained our situation, and why we had stopped, he helped to get us newbies turned around and we chatted for 15min or so.
He then went back to his AS came back and handed us two business cards.
Told he had no affiliation but said they would more that happy to help and answer any questions we had.

He was right…When I called them we learned that the ’68 Safari we thought we bought was actually a ’63, but not to worry there was little to no difference in value.
They were also able supply some of the parts we were having a difficult time finding.
The relationship with So. Jersey led us to Colonial which has also been very helpful over the years.

Take-away…negative memories will sometimes cover and hide the positive side of our Life Experiences.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e1f.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	325048  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Robert, There are many nice, helpful people in the world--you just don't run into them all the time. The guy that gave you the business cards was just one of them...neat story!

Personally, I tend to avoid organizations where all members tend to wear the same 'funny hats' nowadays. Perhaps it's just me, but I never did like the "uniform thinking" that matching hats or other clothing items seem to represent.

Of course, I'm reminded of Groucho Marx's comments along the line that he would never want to join an organization that would let him join, or words to that effect...

And with us, we'd be more likely to be the lone Airstream, parked far out and away somewhere beautiful, enjoying the peace and quiet. Both DW and I currently work where we have to deal with too many people up close and personal, and have both decided we much prefer the company of each other and our dogs. Dogs, at least, won't bite you if you take proper care of them--people, you can't always be sure.

Some day, we'll probably try one of the non-WBCCI rallys or casual get-togethers we hear about in the forums, just to try to meet a few of the cooler folks around the joint.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #290
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
That is great to know thanks. I am a bit particular and the idea of putting red letters on my unit does not excite me.

I am glad there are other options. I do appreciate the info.

We never put the red numbers on ours. The clearcoat was still 100% intact, and I had no desire to change that fact.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #291
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Joined back in 2008 or so.

After a wretched experience with one Unit we went independent and then ran across the Four Corners Unit which we enjoyed greatly. It was worth driving out from California to camp and rally with the group.

Got very ill and sold the trailer. After three years I got well enough to be able to handle a smaller AS. That was about two months ago.

So now working on the trailer to make it camp/travel worthy and once that is done. We'll rejoin the WBCCI and the Four Corners Unit.

The initial bad experience was overturned by many great experiences since.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #292
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yeah!!!

For 4CU unit, glad you are doing better hurry back :-)

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Well, this is such GREAT NEWS! So glad that your health issues have been managed well and that you are now well enough to enjoy life again. I know it's been along time and a long haul to get yourselves back.

Please let me know if you need anything or any help getting yourself re-joined to the 4CU ... I am still here, doing Membership stuff!

It will be so great see your smilin' faces again!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #294
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Well, this is such GREAT NEWS! So glad that your health issues have been managed well and that you are now well enough to enjoy life again. I know it's been along time and a long haul to get yourselves back.

Please let me know if you need anything or any help getting yourself re-joined to the 4CU ... I am still here, doing Membership stuff!

It will be so great see your smilin' faces again!
All we need is the application. We've missed you guys!

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #295

2019 23' International
Thousand Oaks , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Also remember thst members in the seventies may be too old to tow now.
We just started towing an Airstream for the first time in July 2019. I will be 66 next month. I don’t intend to stop in my 70’s. Towing a 23 FB is a piece of cake. (I grew up in NYC and until July 2019 never towed a thing in my life and never drove a truck in my life). We are WBCCI members and in a very short period of time have met some of the nicest, most genuine people ever. Being “too old” in your 70’s is quite relative.
leopoldbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #296
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
What ever happened to the unit proposed for Spokane / North Idaho?

It's functional and happy!
twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #297
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Role of religion in the WBCCI (ACI)

Some issues have arisen lately regarding the role of religion in the WBCCI. As an informal survey, could some of you share your thoughts about this topic please? Thanks for taking your time.
twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #298
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Twestover,

Good question likely to garner varied and strong responses. Should this be in a totally separate thread before it takes over this one.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote