View Poll Results: Why did leave WBCCI ?
Cost too much 10 16.95%
Not enough value for the membership fee 19 32.20%
Too many rules 21 35.59%
I don't need to belong to group to enjoy camping 25 42.37%
Bad experience 12 20.34%
Other reason(s) 12 20.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2017, 03:26 AM   #169
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
Look at WBCCI.org for full info, but here's your Houston option:

Texas Coastal Plains Unit (Katy area/west side)

There's a couple others northeast and northwest several hours. The Texas Hill Country Unit is having a rally in Schulenburg in a few weekends, but potentially closing the unit down is on the business meeting agenda... lack of participation from members is the stated reason. We live north of Houston, this was our first year and we're switching units to a Fort Worth unit based on rally activities. As has been said, visit a couple units to see where you fit in, there's a good spot for anyone looking for one!
The Texas Alamo Unit is also in the "Hill Country" and one member is actually in the Houston/Cypress area and travels to CenTex area just to participate in that fun unit. We live in the "hill country" and had a choice to make between four or five different units...choosing the Alamo unit because of our previous friendship with the Houston/Cypress couple.

The point I wish to make is exactly the same as the story about the car stopping to ask the locals... It's what you make of it and how you find those others in the group. I know something of the Texas Hill Country Unit's story and how they are considering closing down... it's a story germane to this discussion... a failure of local leadership causing disenchantment and desertion. The Plains Unit, the Highland Lakes Unit, and the Alamo Unit all cover the same geographic area and have no such diminishing-returns issues because the people in those units are good campers to be around.
\
WBCCI...?? Yeah... we joined. But I agree, sometimes it's a bit pricey just to get a Directory of Airstream Owners...as that's all we've been able to get out of it because the caravans are full or cancel out or...?? ...so we stay in and pay the dues mostly just to be supportive of our local unit, which we find so enjoyable.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The price of admission is very reasonable if you are involved and participate.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #171
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
Available spots on caravans for 2018

There currently two caravans with vacancies for 2018. They are Canadian Rocky Mountain Caravan and It's a New Your (State) State of Mind. Both will be great caravans, so if you want to go on a caravan in 2018, contacts the leaders. The information about both caravans is on the website "wbccicaravan.wbcci.net" and go to 2018 caravans. Don't delay as they will both fill up soon.

Also don't discouraged by finding that a caravan has a stand-by list, this year on our caravan, "SW Adventure", 19 folks got on the caravan from the stand-by list.

If you don't feel you are comfortable signing up for a caravan two years ahead, just consider that the leader of the caravan is planning two years ahead as they plan their caravan.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #172
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
I can imagine it's a tremendous amount of planning and time and research... simple event planning/coordination is like herding blind willful cats...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
we joined last year due to a rally we went to at hiawassee, which was not a wbcci rally, but several members of the southeast unit were there & most work as do we & their idea of camping is similar to ours. There were not schedules & it was more about camping. We are going to attend our first wbcci rally at palmetto cove in the fall so we'll see how it goes. Rally parking at the fall event which is not what we are used to but the point of this gathering is to socialize so it sounds like a fun time.
i started those "forum "rallys in 2002 in reaction to an awful weekend we were involved in at a wbcci north georgia unit rally.
We had them twice a year for 15 years and spawned a number of othr popular rallys too in neighboring states.just stopped organizing them last spring. Attending more tin can tourist and se vintage camper events now....
WE JUST WANT TO CAMP AND HAVE FUN AN D SHARE INFO, FOOD AND DRINK
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:18 AM   #174
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Why did you leave WBCCI

As an update to my original post from 8/15 we went to the Palmetto Cove rally & had a great time. There were a mix of members & non-members & the host John & Susan were great. We have since not renewed our membership with the Southeastern Unit just due to work schedules & not being able to go the many trips they plan. Seems like a great unit with members that like to be active.

Thx Jane
Old 09-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #175
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I literally JUST joined. Went to a local luncheon, and signed up to go to two local rallies. Have so far been to one rally. I am still undecided about whether it was a mistake to have joined. People are very nice. Most are about 10-20 years older than I am, however I have always enjoyed people of all ages. I am single and nearly everyone is married. But I deal with that all of the time.
But what concerns me most is that it comes across as a conservative Christian organization. I thought I was joining a camping club.... I'm Jewish and keep kosher. So I bring my own food to a rally, and don't have a problem with doing that at all. If I don't eat the food, I come for the fellowship. If I'm not eating breakfast, I bring my own coffee and sit and talk. But everything is preceded with a decidedly Christian prayer. Apparently no one knows how to pray inclusively. At first, I thought that they just didn't realize that not everyone IS Christian. But after plenty of conversations, they did know. And nothing changed. Sunday morning there was a Christian worship service. I thought that was fine/nice. But when I left before it started, people seemed clueless as to why I was leaving.

So, it was nice not to be camping alone, but I wasn't so interested in ceremonies, bingo, cards.... And I could have imagined it, but people seemed insulted that I didn't necessarily want to participate in all of the activities. So maybe "clubs" of this sort are just not my thing. Definitely finding everything oriented toward one religion isn't my thing....
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I literally JUST joined. Went to a local luncheon, and signed up to go to two local rallies. Have so far been to one rally. I am still undecided about whether it was a mistake to have joined. People are very nice. Most are about 10-20 years older than I am, however I have always enjoyed people of all ages. I am single and nearly everyone is married. But I deal with that all of the time.
But what concerns me most is that it comes across as a conservative Christian organization. I thought I was joining a camping club.... I'm Jewish and keep kosher. So I bring my own food to a rally, and don't have a problem with doing that at all. If I don't eat the food, I come for the fellowship. If I'm not eating breakfast, I bring my own coffee and sit and talk. But everything is preceded with a decidedly Christian prayer. Apparently no one knows how to pray inclusively. At first, I thought that they just didn't realize that not everyone IS Christian. But after plenty of conversations, they did know. And nothing changed. Sunday morning there was a Christian worship service. I thought that was fine/nice. But when I left before it started, people seemed clueless as to why I was leaving.

So, it was nice not to be camping alone, but I wasn't so interested in ceremonies, bingo, cards.... And I could have imagined it, but people seemed insulted that I didn't necessarily want to participate in all of the activities. So maybe "clubs" of this sort are just not my thing. Definitely finding everything oriented toward one religion isn't my thing....
I've been in the club over a dozen years and never experienced what you have experienced. Each unit is different. You might consider trying a different one if there is another close to you. And when you travel away from home, you can attend functions from units and regions other than yours and well as national events. Hopefully with a little patience, you will find something that works for you.

P.S. We were on a National Caravan last year with a couple that proclaimed themselves the "Wandering Jews". The husband was installed as a Region President this summer.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:

First of all welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post and it's good to have you with us.

As was stated every unit is somewhat different in the makeup of the participants. Perhaps the members of your unit are not aware that you are Jewish. Perhaps letting them know would be helpful and if not, finding a more inclusive unit would be the way to go.

I hope it works out for you!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #178
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I've met a lot of good people. I've met a very— luckily very few— that I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire.
OK, ok, so you had a bad day.Don't set people on fire. Overneighing at Walmart isn't that bad.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:11 AM   #179
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:

Well that sounds like no fun.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #180
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks! That is what I am doing. Going on a rally next week with a different group. But I'm a patient person. Sometimes you just need to give people a chance to adjust to someone different. Also, even though they did KNOW I am Jewish, I didn't express my discomfort with all of the Christian prayer. I can do that diplomatically. If the response is that they don't care, then I know I won't be back. However, that may not be the case. I usually take a "wait and see" approach to things....
Old 09-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #181
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Yes, I did let them know I was Jewish. However, I take a "wait and see" approach with this stuff. Since I have lived in the Mid-West, I have met people, told them I was Jewish, and the response (no kidding) was "Oh. Is that like being Presbyterian?" LOL So I will give it a bit longer. And in the mean time, have already scheduled myself for a rally with a different group. )
Old 09-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #182
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I'm going to assume that you didn't intend your response as rude. I didn't have a bad day. I enjoyed the rally. I made friends. I'm not quite ready to torch them, so to speak. I am rather overly patient with people and take a "wait and see" approach. There are people in the Mid-West, who despite having traveled a great deal, have never lived anywhere except in the same small town. There are people who honestly don't understand or know what "Jewish" even IS. Seriously. LOL. So although it will be a while before I see them again, because the next luncheon is scheduled on a High Holy day, I may still go back. No one was unfriendly. And no one at all was intentionally rude to me. Also, they don't know that I was dismayed by all the Christian prayer. Because I don't necessarily expect people to suddenly change because I show up and have different ideas. So I may very well go back. :0)