Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Why Collect Pop Tabs?

No, I don't read my Blue Beret magazine cover to cover, but I now understand we are supposed to collect the opening tabs off pop cans. I was told the tabs have a purer kind of aluminum, that WBCCI can sell it and will use the proceeds for charity.

Before I ask all my friends to collect these--could someone tell me--what charity does it go to?

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not sure, but here at school the kids collect them by the buckets full!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Before I ask all my friends to collect these--could someone tell me--what charity does it go to?

Mary
Several members in the WBCCI Denver Unit have been collecting them all year and have accumulated a huge bottled-water size jug full that we will take to International this June.

This should clear up what it's all about: Ronald McDonald House

Quote:
The Pop Tab Collection program started in 1987 in Minnesota to raise funds for the operation of the Ronald McDonald Houses. The pop tabs are a more pure form of aluminum than the rest of the can, and thus they are worth more to recycle per pound than the can itself. Also, pop tabs are easy to collect and do not require much room.
Also google-ing 'ronald mcdonald house pop tabs' will give you lots of information for a RMH in your area that partricipates in this program.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
My 8th graders have been collecting for six years in connection with their Holocaust study. Years ago one student exclaimed that he could not understand the number: over 6 million Jews-men, women, and children- killed during the Holocaust. The students came up with the idea of collecting until they reached the number-that was six years ago and they are a couple of million short of the total still. This does help them comprehend, as well as anyone can, the enormity of the loss and inhumanity. Their idea, when they finally achieve their goal, is to donate the collection to a charitable cause, maybe asking our local synogogue for the lead on this. We've been amazed through the years at the contributors, besides the kids and their families. Our state penetentiary sent us huge bags full for one year and the most poignant, a lady wrote us and included 27 tabs, one for each member of her family who died in the camps. She also sent a grayed, grained photo of that extended family at a gathering from before the Holocaust. Well, someone brought up the topic of Tabs. I had to share about my school kids. And Ronald McDonald is always a good recipient for receiving your tabs.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Its not that they are any "purer" form of Aluminum its just that they are more compact and easier to carry. A cubic foot of tabs is a lot heavier than a cubic foot of cans even if they have been crushed under foot and they don't stink and attract critters.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
My 8th graders have been collecting for six years in connection with their Holocaust study. Years ago one student exclaimed that he could not understand the number: over 6 million Jews-men, women, and children- killed during the Holocaust. The students came up with the idea of collecting until they reached the number-that was six years ago and they are a couple of million short of the total still. This does help them comprehend, as well as anyone can, the enormity of the loss and inhumanity. Their idea, when they finally achieve their goal, is to donate the collection to a charitable cause, maybe asking our local synogogue for the lead on this. We've been amazed through the years at the contributors, besides the kids and their families. Our state penetentiary sent us huge bags full for one year and the most poignant, a lady wrote us and included 27 tabs, one for each member of her family who died in the camps. She also sent a grayed, grained photo of that extended family at a gathering from before the Holocaust. Well, someone brought up the topic of Tabs. I had to share about my school kids. And Ronald McDonald is always a good recipient for receiving your tabs.
That is a good idea to collect the pop-tops to represent each person killed by the Holocaust.
Please remember, that although the Jewish were the main targets of the Nazis that several others were too.
Pray that there is never another event such as the Holocaust in our history again.
As Winston Churchill had said, "For those who do not learn their history are doomed to repeat it."
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
That is a good idea to collect the pop-tops to represent each person killed by the Holocaust.
Please remember, that although the Jewish were the main targets of the Nazis that several others were too.
Pray that there is never another event such as the Holocaust in our history again.
As Winston Churchill had said, "For those who do not learn their history are doomed to repeat it."
I believe that the correct quote is: "
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.--George Santayana"

Bill Kerfoot
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
I believe that the correct quote is: "
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.--George Santayana"

Bill Kerfoot
Thanks, Bill.
You rock! (At least I got that one right!)
At least I got most of the quote right. Maybe not all of it, or the right person....
I knew it was from someone important....
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
You are both right It's ALL important! And yes, Lou, I do include the others who were victims of the Holocaust in this study. The kids dig into concepts and examples of humanity and inhumanity, both past and the present. To me it is fascinating to watch these young teens (who by nature at this age are focused on themselves) open their awareness to the conditions of others and begin to ask big essential questions and search for some meaningful answers. Working with middle school kids. . . often frustrating, sometimes inspiring, and endlessly interesting! (Please forgive my rambling about my kids!) But. . .back to the point of the thread and speaking of aluminum (!), tabs are everywhere. This thread is a good reminder to save them and donate them to places like RMcD, a simple act can help support some really good work!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Turns out it's all just an urban legend...

Well, at the end of the day, a coworker showed me that if you google "urban legend" and "pull tabs" you get a variety of references that prove that this is a myth.

Sadly, it looks like it's an urban legend. 100 tabs only bring in about 3 cents, but create a big hassle for the charities that have to get rid of the metal. Moreover, the part about the tabs being better metal than the can is just false. Apparently, many charities actively spend money trying to stop folks from giving in their pop tabs. Others go along with it (because it's easier than fighting), then throw the tabs out in the recycling bins. It seems like it all just creates a burden for charity--sounds like they'd prefer their 3 cents in copper (pennies) than pop tops!

I think I'm just going to put the cans back in the recycling bin as ever...at least that way I can be confident that they will get recycled, which is a comfort.

Then again, my coworker also sent me another url that explains the reason for all this pop tab collecting--it's space aliens!

http://tafkac.org/classic/pull.tabs/...s_example.html

Didn't you figure there had to be an alien intelligence behind airstreaming and the crazy things it gets us to do!

Mary
Old 04-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have personally seen the boxes upon boxes of tab collected at International. They take them to the recycling facility and get cash, the cash is then donated to Ronald McDonald. A side note, in Vermont there was a diamond ring also found in the tabs. The owner could not be located so another $2000 went to Ronnie. The amount of the donation is reported via the Blue Beret.
I love the idea of a tab for each of the victims, its hard to visualize a number such as 6 million. I know the effect that seeing over 50,000 names on the wall had on me, what would 6 million names look like? Then there was the additional 2 million that Stalin starved.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not sure about that urban legend stuff

In my trailer, I have a little house-shaped cardboard box put out by McDonalds for the pop-tabs. That indicates to me that they do want them.

I turn mine in at the major rallies each year.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wink Maybe some charities no longer collect the tabs, but Ronald McDonald House still does

A very close friend of mine's daughter, had to use the services of RMDH while battling Leukemia with her three year old daughter, my friend's grand-daughter. She asked me to start collecting the tabs as a way of support about 6 years ago, before we were involved with the WBCCI's collection effort...we didn't own our trailer yet. We've been doing it ever since even though she lost her personal battle a year and a half a go, it was a wonderful way to keep her in our thoughts & prayers on a daily basis.

Not every chapter of RMDH participates, Denver doesn't, so now we contribute them to the WBCCI International Rally effort.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I looked into this some more and became more convinced that it's still pretty much not a significant way to help anyone.

It's true McDonald House do collect these, primarily for to build up organizational awareness of the McDonald Houses. Apparently, they just about clear their costs on this. According to their website info, they get what works out to be 4.74 cents for every 100 tabs saved. Overhead on collection offsets that, however.

The reason McDonald Houses do this is to create a gateway activity to get folks thinking about their charity while they collect and when they hand them in. Once tab collectors visit a McDonald House to give in their tabs, it's hoped that the collectors will want to learn more about the charity and can be lured into make a real contribution.

It's got me convinced that while they welcome this, the act of saving the tabs doesn't really help them unless it leads to a charitable donation. Nobody is going to be hurt by this, however.

By the way, I want to add in, it's a great charity that only charges families a small portion of the true cost of service to give them room, board and counselling when children get sick. They are worth your real support--in voluntary work and cash donations.

As for the Holocaust--I believe this was paperclips, not pull tabs. There's a documentary movie out now on it:

http://www.paperclipsmovie.com/

Mary
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Since I just redid our collection can in our office, I'd like to bump this thead to remind people during this busy season to collect your sodapop tabs for your unit. These collections will profit the Ronald McDonald House.

Lynn
Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
Its not that they are any "purer" form of Aluminum its just that they are more compact and easier to carry.
They are purer in one respect— no paint. Cans have painted-on labels, and when the cans are smelted down, the paint is burned off and goes into the air as a vapor that has to be collected and filtered out as per EPA air quality requirements; the paint burns at a lower temperature than the aluminum melts.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The 4CU collects can tabs as well, and sends them to International each year. Seems to me that it's an easy and worthy effort in any event.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
The nice thing about collecting the tabs is the money collected goes into the locality where the International is held. If there is no Ronald McDonald house nearby the money is given to the Women's Shelter or some other local charity. It's a shame the tab collection has been pushed so far back out of sight especially with our Unit. My wife and I have friends who collect tabs from local clubs and give them to us to take to the International. Just my thoughts.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
I believe the idea with the tabs is that they are free because you can snap them off the can and still get the deposit back for the can. Then you can save up the tabs and get $$ from the recycler.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Thanks for the 'bump' Lynn! Also know that you can collect tabs, turn in to your local recycler then simply bring the check to International. No need to carry the tabs cross country! See you in Gillette!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote