Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Who's club is it anyway????

The following is a rant. It is not intended to start mud slinging or to piss anyone off. I had to vent and when I read my email this evening I could no longer take it. I have sent the following to Savewally and it believe that it is posted over there. I just want to share a point of view form a relative newbie. So please read the following, a reply is not looked for or required, I just need to get this off my chest.....

I have been a member of the WBCCI for three years now (this being my third year). I joined to become part of a club with a history, a part of the American landscape. My first year was great, lots of support form my local unit and great advice and insight from the long time members. They have shown me how much fun the Airstream lifestyle can be.

My second year I started hearing about a name change. "What? Change something that has been around for so long ?!?!?" I said to myself. My wife thought I was joking. I watched the whole thing unfold as a nightmare, "this cannot be happening" I kept thinking. I was so relived to see the membership vote against the change. It showed me that there was a common liking for the name of the club. During this time there was also a vote on whether or not to admit the Base Camp to the WBCCI. I for one voted for. It is manufactured by Airstream, therefore should be part of our club. Again, the club spoke, the Base Camp was admitted. Meanwhile, I was still having a great time with my local unit.

Now at the beginning of my third year the name change thing is happening again. Maybe we should push for McDonald's to change their name? How about Coca-Cola to change their's??? If you ask me, the Wally Byam Caravan Club International is just as much of an American icon as McDonald's and Coca-Cola. Looking at Coca-Cola for an example, remember when they tried to change their formula. That worked out very poorly for them. It took years for them to recover from that. With the base that Coke has vs. the base that the WBCCI has I do not think that a radical change will bode well for the long term health of the club.

To add insult to injury there is this thing about some other company putting an Airstream badge on there product. I can see that there is precedence for this with the big auto manufacturers. It still does not sit well with me, what will happen to the meaning of the name? Will Airstream become like "Kleenex"? Airstream, just an other name for a "high end camper". To me that would be a sad state for such a great product brand.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
so if you must have numbers on your AS - ditch the red ones and put on blue ones. relax and enjoy forum camping.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Looking at Coca-Cola for an example, remember when they tried to change their formula. That worked out very poorly for them. It took years for them to recover from that.
There are still folks that believe this was a marketing ploy that actually did work out well for Coke. Got them exposure and in the collective heads of nearly everyone. Folks might have been upset, heck I recall how upset Coke drinkers were....but when Coke Classic came back, even the most angry folks didn't ask for a Pepsi with their Big Mac.

That said, I agree with you on the rest of your comments, but to me the problem is moot....as I have no vested interest in the overall situation. I have thoughts on it, but that's just what they are, my personal thoughts on the subject.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pensacola , Florida
AS is but another Thor product to corporate...don't delude yourself...WBCCI is but another delusion if you allow it...corporate should change from AS to "AS classic"...whoops already taken!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Connecting your TV and WBCCI

I do not favor a name change. My wife gave me a copy of Wanderlust for Christmas and after watching the included video I canít see any good reason for a name change. The WBCCI is not only a RV club but also a fraternal organization in many ways. Established organizations do not change names as name recognition is hard to establish. WBCCI has a long a glories history which should not be diluted by a name change. If you are the owner of a new Airstream Trailer and can not connect WBCCI and Airstream you probably can not connect the trailer to your TV.

BTW DOORGUNNER is correct, don't let WBCCI spin you up.

Thanks Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pensacola , Florida
if you must change the name of the WBCCI...why not "Wally's Kidds"
Old 01-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Name Change

Greetings all fellow WBCCI Members! I too am very upset about the air of change. Yes, some things do need to change in the organization but not the name. The thing to remember is that this is OUR club. We are the members who volunteer, pay dues and attend events. There are a group of people who need to understand and hear what it is we have to say. Do yourself and the organization a favor and do the old fashioned thing of writting letters to our Regional and International Officers and be heard!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Greetings all fellow WBCCI Members! I too am very upset about the air of change. Yes, some things do need to change in the organization but not the name. The thing to remember is that this is OUR club. We are the members who volunteer, pay dues and attend events. There are a group of people who need to understand and hear what it is we have to say. Do yourself and the organization a favor and do the old fashioned thing of writting letters to our Regional and International Officers and be heard!
I wholehartedly agree. Leave the name; update the club.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Change - No!!! I'm of 2 minds about it all.

Hello all -

I also joined WBCCI as a matter of course, it did take me about 8 months before I ponied up the $'s to do it however.... as such it was not a simple $70+ to spend.... I read a LOT of ASF about it all, back and forth....

I DID however spend the $'s. I was in JC, took the tour, and decided that there was TOO much there to ignore. All that said, when I was home, it was NOT enough.

That WAS the fault of the local branch of WBCCI. There was NO interaction from them before joining... Then again, how would they know???

After I joined, I got an engaging reaction. I had the president and a minor phallanx of members come out to help with a trailer rock guard addition. That was GREAT!!! But, then again, there was no real reaction to me joining, other than "Welcome". Not sure what I expected. Under-whelmed.

All the above, there is a certain element of involvement that is elementatal in any club you join. I have not been that actively involved. Then again, there have been no calls made to me either - "how are you?, everything OK??, still a member??". NOTHING.

I guess that is OK since, after attending a rally and a couple of events, I realized that the average member and I have only AS's in common. There is really nothing else. As mentioned elsewhere, the club is overwhelmingly older (kids grown, retired, etc...) and I am 40+ with 3 kids that I camp with (right now, as a matter of fact!!), I work, kids in schools....etc... Not so much in common there.

There is a new AS group working on getting started here in the SW area (FC area) and they are trying.... got a rally planned.... but then there hasn't been a whole lotta contact there either.... Maybe the interaction factor again?? Have been crazy busy with lots of 'other' but I know that there are units that are crazy interactive....

As I said, I am of 2 minds about the whole thing. I DO WANT to support the WBCCI club and idea, but there is really NOTHING I get back for my $'s other than the book of members and the RED numbers.... Then again, there is the membership in the local club that the national allows, but there there is precious little I am currently getting... So many things competing for my $'s, attention, and time...

Call me confused, indifferent, and holding on to that check.... OR????

Looking for interesting comments.

Axel
Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
40+ 2 kids

silver I hear ya....I visited and a rally with ALOT of anticipation and excitement...I live a few miles from an old a favored WBCCI campground. The people were great! But my kids need other kids while were on the road. I asked alot of people there why the event was listed on the forums calendar...yet showed no one....not a single person had signed up. They looked at me as if I had three eyes. Anyway...I drfit past that place once every month or so, and theres just a lonely AS or two parked there. My buddy since high school that I camp with and got me into this pulls a 51 Royal Spartanette....I know not an AS...but for goodness sakes a Very Nice Piece! they weren't at all warm aobut the idea of him coming along. So like my avatar says "PCC" "Pickens County Campers"
we have rules - there are none
bylaws- there are none
we camp, invite people to camp, ....and do that again!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Silvertoy

When I transferred from MAL to the San Fernando Unit I was not sure what to expect. I have yet to meet anyone from the Unit but that is my fault. The Pres has e-mailed and phoned to encurage me to attend Rallies. He sends info and schedules. He has made the effort to reach out to me and make me feel welcome. He seems like a nice guy trying to make the Unit active and fun. From the newsletters it seems like he is succeeding too.

So far as a working person with other demands on my time it has just not worked out for us to attend an event. Our goal is to go on a Rally with them within the next three months.

See the thing is. You get out of a Unit what you put in.

On the surface you may feel like you have nothing in common but give them some time and get to know the folks and you may find you have many things in common.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:23 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
Point WELL taken...I'm sure the local Unit is FULL of wonderful people!....but I have these small people that I have to cat herd. Once they get a little older and are a little more self sufficient, we might be able to give it a try.

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Let the old folks babysit for you. They'll have somthin to do and you'll get a break.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Point taken, but then....

Goin -

Thanks for the thoughts.... point taken. And, as I addressed in my post, I haven't been THE most interactive member, of either possible unit, neither have they been particularly interactive or involved with me - interested in my $'s, membership or activity (based on emails, phone or personal interactions).

FACT. It's that simple.

And, after all, we are talking about something that IS interactive - a club. Organized around AirStream's. As I mentioned there was a early flurry after membership in WBCCI, but since then it has been nothing more than the red numbers.... Seems a little thin for $70+ bucks....

The local club has been rather less than involving ( do get the book & the #'s!!!) but there has been precious little else.

I mentioned the "other" local group that is trying to get things going here. Have gotten a few emails and notices that things are afoot.... but that is the extent of things so far... More to look forward to???

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am of 2 minds about this issue. There is the whole history thing, there is the local interaction thing (or not, in my case), and there is the whole "belonging" thing. Still, it ain't cheap, this belonging thing.

That was my point in the first post, that was why I joined. The BELONGING, the cameraderie, the "AirStream" mystique, the CLUB!!! - maybe that was so 10 or 20 years ago... at least with this region.

Again, I am, of 2 minds about all this. I WANNA BE, but is it there for me? Not trying to be crass, but I DO have better uses of my $'s, like SilverToy...

Again, looking for interesting comments.

Axel