Old 01-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
70% of the members that joint the club joint with a used unit. New units actually represent a little less than 30% of the new members. Leads provided by Airstream of new sales are helpful, but that is not where the majority of new members come from. The VAC group has been one of the major growth areas for the club.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
70% of the members that joint the club joint with a used unit. New units actually represent a little less than 30% of the new members. Leads provided by Airstream of new sales are helpful, but that is not where the majority of new members come from. The VAC group has been one of the major growth areas for the club.
If my memory serves me right we (the NEU) did not get any new members during the 2006 season based on the new Airstream owner leads that are sent from the factory to WBCCI headquarters. These leads were mailed out to me (as membership chairperson) so many weeks went by before I found out about new owners in our "area". For the most part our new members found out about our unit via these forums and from NEU members actively going after non WBCCI Airstream owners they happened to meet.

Oh, IMHO the marketing items provided to WBCCI Units by headquarters are lame. OK, I think they are wicked lame. For little to no more money I believe we could have a much better package to provide to potential members.

And, just to let folks know, the WBCCI is my club. Warts and all.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
LOVE the last line!!!

MBB -

LOVE the last line!!! Warts and all!??

I AM inclined towards your inclination. The question for me is, is that enough to overcome the downsides in the local group. I have mentioned elsewhere, that there are CERTAINLY more than a few nuggets of gold to be mined in the local club, but then there are certainly more than a lot of negatives that need to be MORE than balanced.

Then there is the new unit in the area (FCU - good bunch that!!!) who is making a go of things.... Will be attending a rally in Feb.

As I say MBB, I am inclined toward you line of thinking about WBCCI, but then.....!?

Still of 2 minds.

Thoughts?

Axel
Old 01-08-2007, 01:03 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
...... Units are localized enough so most folks can get out camping together frequently......
How does one go about starting a new Unit within an unrealistic geographical territory - such as the PROVINCE of Ontario.

Yes it is a great Unit for many who join - but the distances one has to travel is very restricting - when the opportunity for so many more events could be realized.

I have heard go ahead and get together - but then these would not be endorsed and considered as conflicts.

Another area that has brought great concern to us is Vintage involvement - where is the vintage flavour in Canada??? How does one get involved in hosting VAC events from a Unit that does not actively recognize the VAC.

I battled with suggestions and politics for 3 years and sorry I gave up - now my membership has lapsed - and will be joining shortly as either a MAL or a member of your Unit simply because I have think what you guys offer is great - but I wish I could attend -but realistically not possibly Distance hmmm.

Bryan you always have such sensible solutions and advice - and was just wondering - how the individual states go through the process of splintering within a single unit Province???
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
How does one go about starting a new Unit within an unrealistic geographical territory - such as the PROVINCE of Ontario.

Yes it is a great Unit for many who join - but the distances one has to travel is very restricting - when the opportunity for so many more events could be realized.

I have heard go ahead and get together - but then these would not be endorsed and considered as conflicts.

Another area that has brought great concern to us is Vintage involvement - where is the vintage flavour in Canada??? How does one get involved in hosting VAC events from a Unit that does not actively recognize the VAC.
Sharon -- I'm just thinking out loud here, but since the Province of Ontario is in WBCCI Region 2, what if you were to join WDCU in Region 2 and work with them to hold a VAC/Region rally in your neck of the woods. Plan it far enough ahead so that people can make plans well in advance, and see who you can get to show up. That might be the beginning of a new local VAC-oriented unit, one that offers something a little different than what the other local unit offers.

You might be surprised to see all the riff-raff you would attract from the northeast U.S. environs. We'll look for any excuse to visit Canada in the summer months.

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
MBB -

LOVE the last line!!! Warts and all!??

I AM inclined towards your inclination. The question for me is, is that enough to overcome the downsides in the local group. I have mentioned elsewhere, that there are CERTAINLY more than a few nuggets of gold to be mined in the local club, but then there are certainly more than a lot of negatives that need to be MORE than balanced.

Then there is the new unit in the area (FCU - good bunch that!!!) who is making a go of things.... Will be attending a rally in Feb.

As I say MBB, I am inclined toward you line of thinking about WBCCI, but then.....!?

Still of 2 minds.

Thoughts?

Axel
Being part of a Unit that meets my expectations of "fun, fellowship and adventure" is what makes the WBCCI for me. It was just my good luck that I live in the NEU's area and got to join a lively, growing group of Airstream owners who enjoy camping and traveling together.

Not so long ago the NEU was like many WBCCI Units. Mostly older members, declining membership, few events or activities that were of interest to the "younger" Airstreaming crowd. A few brave souls put major time and effort into creating change within our Unit (this was before my time, I've been a member just about 3 1/2 years). They laid the foundation of change that we are building on today.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
What is "unrealistic geographical territory" - maybe like Arizona and Nevada and west Texas in the early 60's?

The time honored method is to get a group of Airstream RV owners out camping and touring. When you find a bit more organization could be useful, affiliate.

step by step:

1) go camping and touring in your Airstream RV.

2) find friends and other Airstream RVer's and go camping and touring together.

3) organize as needs be so you and other Airstream friends can go camping and touring together frequently and find new Airstream RV owning friends who also enjoy camping and touring with others to join you.

4) affiliate with WBCCI so you can expand and share your camping and touring together experience.

5) be a responsible citizen and member and do your part to support and grow the organization that helps you share your Airstream RV experience with others.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #36
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
IIRC all you need is 10 current WBCCI members that want to do this. Ask your Region President for an application for charter. You can then apply to form your own unit and be under the umbrella for WBCCI. you will have to follow the Blue Book guidelines...... But they are not onerous.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Thanks Jamie - a very good idea indeed.

Bryan - Thanks Too!

You make it sound so simple. I think I might start with something like a local ad in the newspaper with my contact just to see if there are any Airstreamers out there - which I know there are I see them in the driveways and behind the houses.

Not members of WBCCI though.

I am much more interested in the Vintage side of things - and that is quite possibly the hardest. Probably like everything else many people have different ideas about 'old' vehilces some see them as "junk" others see them as valued time pieces. Just as some people who own 'old' things -some are envious of those with new and others admire the evolution of their own time piece.

Thanks Brett - I had looked up the legal info on starting a Unit - it is quite easy - but I do not want to go about it in a manner that ruffles the "mini-mother-ship" Ontario Unit.

A note to this thread in general - it is amuzing to see how we do travel in circles - but more interesting it is facinating to see the "Club" in the midst of its half century evolution.

Lots of people should just take a valium - and do what is fun for them - things will all work themselves out.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sharon ~

Region 2 is home of the WDCU, which is densely populated with vintage trailer owners. If you are interested in getting together a vintage rally in your area, you can contact the Region 2 VAC Rep for some support & potentially some other like-minded folks.
Region 2: NY-NJ-PA-MD-DE-DC-ON
Walt Sandy
swsandy@mindspring.com
1157 Rt.40
Pilesgrove, NJ 08098
All it takes is someone with desire to get the ball rolling. In 2001, the Region 11 (RMVAC) group started off with one person's dream to have a local VAC gathering and 15 trailers showed up...now we regularly attract 70+ to our annual rally. One of the nice side effects, is we have developed some GREAT friendships and enjoy each other's company so much, we have all hung in there with our local unit (which has grown) - just so we can get together more often in smaller "mixed company" rallies. We don't have to go all-out for our Regional VAC rally once a year - we can get together at evry rally. As a matter of fact, many of these friends have become "family" - we get together regularly just for the sake of doing it, sometimes under the guise of "VAC rally planning" sessions sometimes "just because".

Who knows, if the same friendships develop with your group, it may lead the you in the direction of starting a new unit, since location seems to be an issue with your group now.

If you plan it, they will come! One of the VAC's goals is to have at least one VAC rally in every region every year...more if people want to! If you need help getting started feel free to contact me offline or via PM or in this thread. I will do what ever needs to be done to get your ball rolling!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
You make it sound so simple. I think I might start with something like a local ad in the newspaper with my contact just to see if there are any Airstreamers out there - which I know there are I see them in the driveways and behind the houses.
It is simple, but to do these things require organization and organization isn't so simple when it gets past one.

Quote:
All it takes is someone with desire to get the ball rolling.
A champion! - but, as seen in some of the forum discussions, when there is not a confluence of goals and priorities, things can get rather distasteful. Then we get questions like "whose club is this anyway" ...

Why does the club exist? So people can join it and say they belong -- or to help people go camping and touring in their Airstreams together? or something else (like the politics that some are so invested in)?

What makes the club distinct and different and unique? Trailer or motorhome or all types of RV or camping? Airstream, psuedo Airstream, or all brands? Why?

How does the club accomodate or encourage related or affiliated secondary interests such as amateur radio, vintage, cyber, or whatever?

How should the organization communicate and enforce its identity? or should it?

How does the club accomodate those with limitations or inability to fully participate in the camping and touring that is the club goal (if it is that)? How does it participate as a part of its society and why should it? What standards of behavior should it expect from its members?

Simple, yes, just a bit of paperwork. But is that what it is all about? Is that what makes an organization healthy and worth being a part of? What does your membership represent, really? Are you serving the organization or are you serving why it exists?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Bryan ~

Why discourage with all your rhetorical questions that we've all read before? When someone like Sharon (or whomever) has real desire we ought to encourage it and look for ways to make it happen. No, it's not always so simple, but it does happen...there are several revived and new units that have sprung up recently to prove it can be done!

You of all people should know about that...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I think Bryans points are valid - and some of us forget sometimes that - that many of us have been on the forum for a long time - but not everyone has.

There are always new members here to the forum who are also evolving - past all their questions about their rig and feeling comfortable within the community to start chatting about their own expecations.

Unfortunately the forums search now is so big that who has the time to weed through the material to get to points like those above......

And no not everyone has heard them and no there will always be people that will hear and read things for the first time here.

It is up to the long standing members to be patient and to "repeat" and continue to "repeat".

I tried a "kick at the can" I honestly did - it just did not turn out to be what I expected - so I took a breather and will try and find a new avenue to approach - because simply I am stuck on Airstreams and eventually I want to get to meet more people stuck on Airstreams - preferably those who have a keen sense of humor and knowledge on how to keep these oldies rolling down the road - between the ditches and the shinny side up!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Why discourage with all your rhetorical questions that we've all read before?
Discourage? How on earth does figuring out who you are and what you are about be considered discouragement? In all other circles of any veracity about which I am aware, such things are considered encouraging. Yet here it is different and I am assigned something like this?

The question of this thread is of the same class as those you denigrate. Is it discouraging as well?

The nature of identity and purpose is critical to organization health and welfare. Those units that are revived and the ones that are invigorated in large part because they got back to the basics of their identity and purpose. Should we not know this and learn from this in order to share it with others?

Much of the rancorous debate in these forums is because people have not thought through issues of identity and mission and their own participation in defining these concepts. Priorities get confused and values get misplaced.

Yes indeed I "should know about that ..." - I have actually engineered 'that' as well and am trying to share how I did it. Yet what I find is a hostile environment for such sharing - from the moderator no less. That is extremely discouraging. You do me, and also the purpose and mission of these forums, severe diservice IMHO.