Old 01-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Who let the dogs out.....

I am curious to know something...Who was the one person who came up with the idea to change the name of WBCCI? Which IBT member said " I have a great idea..." and set into motion the process of making some sort of vote.

What is the name of this one individual who was the brainchild of altering a 50 year history. I can not find this information anywhere. I want to know the process taken and the meetings with THOR that took place to come up with this. But mostly I want to know who was the one person who originated this idea...

Does anybody know???

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
2014 Mouse count: Buttercup - 0 / Airtini -
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
O.K. I guess nobody really knows this answer or is afraid to say.

How about this - what was the text of the original motion? you can post here on the forums, pm me or email me if you have it. Any help appreciated.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
2014 Mouse count: Buttercup - 0 / Airtini -
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Try the search buttons...

You may be able to find some history here by using search for archives and looking at old threads on WBCCI and Units and such..

I can't seem to feel same conspiracy passion around this as with second shooter in Dallas or missing WMD's in Iraq, but I do know members (and not just Thor marketing staff) sometimes tire of explaining their affiliation with the "Wally Club" or the "Beret People" or other awkward attempts to spell out the full name, and then enough history to put name in useful context... I think proposal for name changing started with members, not Jackson Center, but would be glad to be proven wrong.

Given Wally has been gone over 40 years, some change might be in order, but clearly this one has become a polarizing political touchstone.. Alas...

I'm planning on joining trek to Salem just to enjoy the sharing of the passion and speeches... May withold vote or abstain, to see if we can keep it rolling another year or two...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
And the Man with Idea was...

I believe the originator and main proponent of the recommendation to change the name of WBCCI to "something with the word Airstream in it" was Andy Richers. He was Region 11 President at the time.
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Not to debate the subject any further as I think all the points we can possibly make are spread out over many threads.

I really don't care who started it or came up with the idea to change the name - I am just trying to understand the rationale behind it.

When it all comes down to it as Renee said yesterday - we the members have the voting power. We make the changes - that will eventually cost membership dollars to facilitate those changes.

Any name change even as simple as adding Airstream between the letters of WBCCI somewhere is a "change". The ramification of any change will filter all the way to the Unit - their logos, flags, letterhead, ammending Policies, By-Laws and Constitution Articles and the list is endless.

Members need to be educated on the rationale for the change - and if the about face on the "New Name" continues then even more information will need to be provided. It is this information that is not seeing from IBT.

I wonder if the Task Force has even considered contacting each of the Units to ask them what it is going to cost them to make a change to the Corporate Name and where the burden of those costs will be.

I wonder if any real studies outside of the Task Force involving sampling groups of members to justify the need for change even took place prior to the Unit Vote last Spring and consquently at the Delegate meeting last June.

There are just so many questions surrounding this issue that are not communicated well enough beyond the officers of this organization.

Yes we could go on and on debating this issue - and so we should - in only 2 years how many actual meetings involving the members have taken place and what was presented to them to cast their vote? Since that time what will be provided to the member and how prior to the next round of votes?

How much honest research has been done by the Name Change Task Force? What have they written in the past 5 issues of the Blue Beret to solicit information - other than an out of line call for "New Name Suggestions" prior to their presentation to the IBT.

And how much time will the Units have to digest their presentation, rationale and reasoning for the motions that will be presented to the "Regular Members"?.

As far as getting tired of explaining WBCCI. I think that is the lamest of lame. I'm a new member only 2 years of explaining and I have had no problem.

Thor may own Airstream but they chose to keep Airstream as an independant Entity. When Beatrice Foods owned Airstream you did not see them putting Airstreams on their Milk Cartoons - or Beatrice the Cow as a new Decal on the front of the Airstream Trailers.
Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote