Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Janet's right. You don't have to have an Airstream to go to a rally. People will be glad to answer your questions and show their trailers to you. Everyone has asked the same questions you are asking.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
My suggestion is to attend a WBCCI buddy rally or attend as a guest...and try it on for size... Each unit is very different in demeanor and focus, so you might try different ones. We love our unit...the Four Corners Unit of New Mexico, and we have made lots of great friends through it. While we are personally not pleased with a lot of what goes on at higher levels in the organization, we do appreciate the heritage and history of the club, and we are hopeful for change, as slowly as that might happen. In the meantime, we continue to enjoy our friends and our unit, camping with its members (who are from all over the country and Canada with the highest concentration of members in the four corners states)...as often as humanly possible. It's a blast. I might add that a member of any WBCCI unit can attend any other unit's events ... so you have a nation-wide network to enjoy if you wish to. Remember, too, that you can join more than one club... WBCCI, Escapees, TAC, etc etc....they are not mutually exclusive...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you have the time and an interest in doing a lot of club sponsored caravans with a lot of friendly people and being directed to interesting places you would not easily find yourself, WBCCI is your kind of organization and will be well worth the dues money spent. If you enjoy going to rallies and sitting with old people and a few young ones around a campfire, some Units of WBCCI may be worth looking into. If you are young and like to travel 500 miles a day by yourself to far flung places and boondocking in the state parks or BLM woods alone, you do not need WBCCI.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
If you enjoy going to rallies and sitting with old people and a few young ones around a campfire, some Units of WBCCI may be worth looking into. If you are young and like to travel 500 miles a day by yourself to far flung places and boondocking in the state parks or BLM woods alone, you do not need WBCCI.
Old people travel 500 miles a day too, and young ones may be old at heart. There are problems with all generalizations. I do think it's as much a culture thing as an age thing. I'm old and I did change. Lawrence Welk is not for me; Lady Gaga is hot.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
....>snip<... If you enjoy going to rallies and sitting with old people and a few young ones around a campfire, some Units of WBCCI may be worth looking into. If you are young and like to travel 500 miles a day by yourself to far flung places and boondocking in the state parks or BLM woods alone, you do not need WBCCI.
I think that's a bit of an over-generalization and certainly not the case with all Units. The 4CU is a quite lively bunch of very fun people ranging from young folks with kids to older folks with grand- and great-grand kids ... who are all admirably young at heart. Age doesn't seems to be much of a concern for any of us. And I dare say that no one has a boring time. Most of our rallies are either boondocking — or at least dry camping — in state parks or national forest campgrounds. In the last several 3 or 4 years of membership I can think of only 1 rally where we had any hookups at all. We do like sitting around a campfire with our friends, but what's not good about that? In addition to rallies, virtually everyone in our unit does a good deal of traveling on their own to destinations, criss-crossing the country to whatever far-flung destination they desire ... sprinkled with smaller gatherings of whomever cares to go along.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
In my opinion, you get far more benefits and bang for your buck by belonging to the Good Samaritan Club rather than the WBCCI, AND memberhsip in teh Good Sam Club costs LESS!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Oh Yeah, the magazine you get with you Good Sam Club membership, Highways, is infinitly more interesting than the Blue Berret, talk about BORING!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
If you have an Airstream, you instantly become a "club" if there is another Airstream where you park. I was at Zion NP in May, when I pulled into the campground there were 5 Airstreams there. I thought I had bumped into a Unit GTG. They were from 4 different states and had a fun time visiting. Yesterday I was at my local store and an Airstream pulled in so of course I had to stop and say "Hi" They were from Houston and we had a great visit comparing summer travels. Airstreamers are special. However, as a solo traveler, I do have to say I am very close to 3 other solo travel clubs and their GTG's.
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote