Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
What's right with WBCCI?

I've read these forums for a couple of years and it seems that the WBCCI threads create a lot of passionate discussion.Some threads have the theme of what's wrong with WBCCI.It may surprise some people that although membership is declining there are some units that are actually growing.What are these units doing differently than the others?Maybe WBCCI should take a look at some of these units and see what they are doing right.
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Being Active!

That is what the SCCU is doing.

We are growing and have been for over four years now.
We are at an all time high as for membership goes.
Our typical rally has 25 plus units. A busy rally has around 35 units present.

Diversity is the key. We have all ages and there is very little difference in the high energy level of all members.

It is a proof that we have a great time by number of new members and the retention rate we have. We literally lost one member last year and that was due to health. How many local units can claim a 99% retention rate?

It is no secret that the SCCU is one of the thriving local units and it is due to the membership in itself. We have very active members who all contribute in their own little or major way. We have folks that do crafts, we have folks that hike, kayak, play yard games, folks that are naturalists, folks who are well versed and assist with repair work on Airstreams, folks who write articles, members who act as officers on a local and international level, folks that advocate WBCCI, folks who recruit and assist new members.
We have folks with new Airstreams, Vintage Airstreams and clearly, no discrimination between old or new.
We travel to local sites and tour interesting facilities, we caravan together to larger rallies, we have rallies on State level and regional level.

Another key to success is to get out of the same ol' - same ol'. We travel to a different campground or site every rally.
We dry camp a time or two, we go to big CG's with many facilities, we go to secluded facilities, State Parks, CG's near water.
We eat a variety of meals that many contribute their time to.

An open mind is imperative, you have to be willing to give it a try and seek your little niche or even suggest new ideas. It is truly what you make of it.

And one of the most important elements of all...
We invite everyone with open arms.
We truly want you to enjoy yourself and return for a lifetime of fellowship.

We have families with children of all ages and most importantly,

WE ARE FAMILY!
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Ken, your post above made me want to stand up while applauding I could feel the camaradarie of your unit through your words. Your post could become the mission statement for all units, I believe! Well said, from a member-at-large. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I stand by what Ken says...the unit I belong to is moderately active...with a decent range of members. I actually spend more time with a different unit because of where I work and the fact my Airstream is still in its current stage of destruction. I hope to be back on the road by late summer and attending WBCCI functions. I enjoy the fact that I can "crash" a Christmas dinner with a different unit and still be able to talk Airstreams. I travel quite a bit and where ever I go there are Airstream friends to be found. It takes a bit to find a unit that will suit your needs but they are out there. Another strong unit that comes to mind is the WDDC unit. Maybe Fireflyva will chime in, but I know they pull people from 3-4 states to their local rallys and have a housefull when they do rally.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Friendship

Our unit is holding its own and very soon may acquire the folks from a dying unit in the area. Our unit split off from the dying unit years ago because they didn't do much of anything. Alas, it has caught up with them and they will probably disband in the near future and we will get those remaining.

Our unit is active both in rallys and in other get togethers. Most of our folks are currently at or enroute to the International Rally; I'll be on the road Sunday. Our rallys are well attended and well run; we schedule 5 or 6 a year and lay off in the hottest Texas summer months.

We meet formally once a month Tuesdays at a luncheon at a fixed place, but we meet informally every Wednesday when there is no other activity that week. On the odd weeks, someone picks a restaurant and circulates an email. We usually end up with 10 to 30 folks, depending on who is in town. Our luncheons always include a few widows and some couples who no longer trailer.

Our members include the International President and the Region President. They stick with our unit because it is an active, fun unit.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:10 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our Oregon Unit is a friendly group, eager to try new things, and welcoming to everyone. We have regular activities to bring folks together. It's like a family reunion every time we go! We are just starting to try new things, and I'm sure in time our unit will grow to rival even those big east-coast units!

The best things about the WBCCI in general is the openness between units - the fact you can attend any activity at any unit. We've met WBCCI members from far away, and they're like long lost friends. I don't know what it is about the WBCCI that builds that sort of comeraderie, but it's great.

The courtesy parking is cool too!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:28 PM   #7
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Ken, your post above made me want to stand up while applauding I could feel the camaradarie of your unit through your words. Your post could become the mission statement for all units, I believe! Well said, from a member-at-large. ~G
aw shucks.................................

Thanks for the kind words but it is easy to write this stuff...
I cant make it up, it is the TRUTH.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Thanks for all the great answers.Strong units is the key to the survival of WBCCI and it's great to see some dedicated individuals out there making that happen.My hat is off to you.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
HI there Aaron, you still working Micron? If so, c'mon over some time!

Washington DC Unit is actually a big one...It was formed by a bunch of VACers (though the unit is open to all age trailers), and DC was selected somewhat arbitrarily as home (as I have heard) because it didn't have a unit (and apparently WBCCI specified that a unit had to have a home base). But really, the unit considers the open road as its territory! Members come from all over the US & Canada, but members are somewhat concentrated on the Eastern Seabord, especially New England, Upstate NY and Ontario. Folks say the WDCU is like a bad penny--you never know where it'll turn up (for a rally, that is).

What does WDCU do right? Our buddy rallies are open to any trailer, including SOBs, we have super happy hours, there are always lots of kids around, nobody stresses out about rules and the door prizes are always very wacky.

Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
It takes a bit to find a unit that will suit your needs but they are out there. Another strong unit that comes to mind is the WDDC unit. Maybe Fireflyva will chime in, but I know they pull people from 3-4 states to their local rallys and have a housefull when they do rally.
Aaron
Old 06-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Hi Mary,
Actually down in Richmond at the moment, but we do have a couple of days left at Micron...when and if they ever get ready for us I have gotten somemore done on my AS and am in the market for another shorter one (as though I didn't learn with the first one) Once I have at least one AS on the road I plan to do all I can to make as many rallies as possible

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Ok, when and if, you have dinner here!

Mary

gimme an im!
Old 06-25-2005, 06:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Somehow this thread has drifted.Back on topic.The Ontario Canada Unit #124 seems to be growing in leaps and bounds.Is there anyone out there in that unit who would like to comment on what their unit(unit 124) is doing differently?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Streamer,

Discussing the advantages of a unit and WBCCI hospitality is very relevant, especially since all of this is the subject of this forum. Since you haven't mentioned any of the (on-topic) advantages of the Ontario unit, you'll just have to drop on in one of our rallies and see just how wonderfully on topic we are!

I'll get a mojito ready for you, Streamer!

Mary
Old 06-27-2005, 10:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
What's right with WBCCI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Streamer,

Discussing the advantages of a unit and WBCCI hospitality is very relevant, especially since all of this is the subject of this forum. Since you haven't mentioned any of the (on-topic) advantages of the Ontario unit, you'll just have to drop on in one of our rallies and see just how wonderfully on topic we are!

I'll get a mojito ready for you, Streamer!

Mary
Thanks for the kind invite Mary.I hope no offence was taken from my previous post as none was intended.I am very passionate about the survival of the club and the purpose of starting this thread was to generate dialogue on some of the many positives of belonging to WBCCI.You have demonstrated some of that in yuor post.

Mike
Old 06-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
The Airstream Parks!

We discovered one of the benefits of WBCCI membership last week on our trip over the Blue Ridge Parkway and through GSMNP - the Airstream parks. We stayed at both Virginia Highland Haven and Tennessee Cumberland Plateau; both were very, very nice and less than $15/night for full hookups! VA Highland Haven was the most perfectly manicured and maintained park I've ever seen; the scenery was beautiful; and the people were the nicest you could possibly imagine. TCPC and its guests and residents were very nice as well. Our traveling party was welcomed warmly even in our vintage trailers (one of which was my father's Argosy) and with our large Labs. I would highly recommend either of them.

We would seem to fit the prototype of those who may be disgruntled with the WBCCI experience, as we're both in our thirties, both still working, and we have only vintage trailers. However, we've found our local unit (Greater St. Louis) to be very warm and welcoming, and we've enjoyed the few unit events we've been able to attend with our busy schedules. In some ways, they're even more relaxing and low-key than some of the vintage events we've regularly attended, as they tend to be smaller and more intimate and lack the "we'd better re-polish the trailer" pressure of vintage open houses.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midamrail
We would seem to fit the prototype of those who may be disgruntled with the WBCCI experience, as we're both in our thirties, both still working, and we have only vintage trailers. However, we've found our local unit (Greater St. Louis) to be very warm and welcoming, and we've enjoyed the few unit events we've been able to attend with our busy schedules. In some ways, they're even more relaxing and low-key than some of the vintage events we've regularly attended, as they tend to be smaller and more intimate and lack the "we'd better re-polish the trailer" pressure of vintage open houses.
This has been our experience too (except we're more 40-ish). Our WBCCI unit (New England) has been very warm and welcoming, and extremely helpful. We jumped into vintage Airstream ownership with only a little idea of what we were getting into. Even before we bought, the local unit was helpful in offering suggestions for storage, local RV supply centers, and where to look to find a used trailer. At the first gathering we attended with our trailer (this past weekend) the members helped us with our fickle gas water heater, gave us encouraging compliments and suggestions for fixing up our Safari, helped us with hitching up and towing, shared stories of their own early camping experiences that made us feel not so stupid about things, and told us about great campgrounds in the area and which campgrounds we might want to avoid. Our local WBCCI unit has been a wonderful help to us getting started with our Airstream.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
I've spent a good part of my day reviewing the older WBCCI related threads on this forum.Some have pointed out it is not for them,others counter that the club is what you make it.One thing that remains the same is that not a lot has changed.Threads started 3-4 years ago could be started today and today's posts both pro and con would mirror those made previously.I would not be overly concerned if the membership numbers remained the same over this period of time but they have declined which should signals something that is very clear to me.Change is needed and I don't necessarily mean the name as I don't see that as one of the problems.Membership has fallen from over 25000 in 1976,to 10300 in 1996 to the present day total of approximately 7200 while the RV industry has dramatically increased.Since starting this thread 7 months ago,I have recognized that to survive WBCCI will have to adapt and make some sweeping changes.If attempted,this will not be easy or a speedy process and will ruffle some feathers along the way but if done correctly a stronger,more vibrant club will emerge from the ashes.There are a lot of great folks in the organization volunteering a lot of their time to achieve 'a way of life' from the unit level and up.All want the club to survive and should be working and communicating together towards a common goal.At this time,this could be done more effectively. I don't want to sit idly by and let an organization that has given a lot to me over the years fade into oblivion.
Soapbox off...Flamesuit on.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Bump.Anyone have anything new to add.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
With our work schedule it is very difficult for my wife and I to participate at our unit's organized events, but we have been able to spend some time with other members of our unit, and we think that the Washington Unit is great.

Everyone we have met has been helpful and friendly to us, very welcoming as well. We assume that we are among the youngest members of the unit, but have experienced no unwillingness to welcome us due to that fact.

Another great benefit of the Washington Unit is the fact that it owns it's own park. We have been able to spend a great deal of time at the park, and it is amazing to see so many Airstreams in one place, everything from the oldest to the newest. We always have something to talk about with whomever is parked beside us.

We are not long time members of the WBCCI, but we are pleased that we joined and we think that we chose a great unit to be a part of.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Wbcci

What's right with the WBCCI
THEY GAVE THE FOUR CORNERS UNIT A FULL CHARTER 26 JUN 2007
Now us outcast,renegades,WBCCI disenchanded and other nice folks have found a good home.
Heck they even let me and my Squarestream in.
So if your any of the above and are looking for a unit to make your home a Big western WELCOME to the 4CU,come join us.
"A cowboy never betray"s a trust"