Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
The Airstream Parks!

We discovered one of the benefits of WBCCI membership last week on our trip over the Blue Ridge Parkway and through GSMNP - the Airstream parks. We stayed at both Virginia Highland Haven and Tennessee Cumberland Plateau; both were very, very nice and less than $15/night for full hookups! VA Highland Haven was the most perfectly manicured and maintained park I've ever seen; the scenery was beautiful; and the people were the nicest you could possibly imagine. TCPC and its guests and residents were very nice as well. Our traveling party was welcomed warmly even in our vintage trailers (one of which was my father's Argosy) and with our large Labs. I would highly recommend either of them.

We would seem to fit the prototype of those who may be disgruntled with the WBCCI experience, as we're both in our thirties, both still working, and we have only vintage trailers. However, we've found our local unit (Greater St. Louis) to be very warm and welcoming, and we've enjoyed the few unit events we've been able to attend with our busy schedules. In some ways, they're even more relaxing and low-key than some of the vintage events we've regularly attended, as they tend to be smaller and more intimate and lack the "we'd better re-polish the trailer" pressure of vintage open houses.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midamrail
We would seem to fit the prototype of those who may be disgruntled with the WBCCI experience, as we're both in our thirties, both still working, and we have only vintage trailers. However, we've found our local unit (Greater St. Louis) to be very warm and welcoming, and we've enjoyed the few unit events we've been able to attend with our busy schedules. In some ways, they're even more relaxing and low-key than some of the vintage events we've regularly attended, as they tend to be smaller and more intimate and lack the "we'd better re-polish the trailer" pressure of vintage open houses.
This has been our experience too (except we're more 40-ish). Our WBCCI unit (New England) has been very warm and welcoming, and extremely helpful. We jumped into vintage Airstream ownership with only a little idea of what we were getting into. Even before we bought, the local unit was helpful in offering suggestions for storage, local RV supply centers, and where to look to find a used trailer. At the first gathering we attended with our trailer (this past weekend) the members helped us with our fickle gas water heater, gave us encouraging compliments and suggestions for fixing up our Safari, helped us with hitching up and towing, shared stories of their own early camping experiences that made us feel not so stupid about things, and told us about great campgrounds in the area and which campgrounds we might want to avoid. Our local WBCCI unit has been a wonderful help to us getting started with our Airstream.

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
I've spent a good part of my day reviewing the older WBCCI related threads on this forum.Some have pointed out it is not for them,others counter that the club is what you make it.One thing that remains the same is that not a lot has changed.Threads started 3-4 years ago could be started today and today's posts both pro and con would mirror those made previously.I would not be overly concerned if the membership numbers remained the same over this period of time but they have declined which should signals something that is very clear to me.Change is needed and I don't necessarily mean the name as I don't see that as one of the problems.Membership has fallen from over 25000 in 1976,to 10300 in 1996 to the present day total of approximately 7200 while the RV industry has dramatically increased.Since starting this thread 7 months ago,I have recognized that to survive WBCCI will have to adapt and make some sweeping changes.If attempted,this will not be easy or a speedy process and will ruffle some feathers along the way but if done correctly a stronger,more vibrant club will emerge from the ashes.There are a lot of great folks in the organization volunteering a lot of their time to achieve 'a way of life' from the unit level and up.All want the club to survive and should be working and communicating together towards a common goal.At this time,this could be done more effectively. I don't want to sit idly by and let an organization that has given a lot to me over the years fade into oblivion.
Soapbox off...Flamesuit on.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Bump.Anyone have anything new to add.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
With our work schedule it is very difficult for my wife and I to participate at our unit's organized events, but we have been able to spend some time with other members of our unit, and we think that the Washington Unit is great.

Everyone we have met has been helpful and friendly to us, very welcoming as well. We assume that we are among the youngest members of the unit, but have experienced no unwillingness to welcome us due to that fact.

Another great benefit of the Washington Unit is the fact that it owns it's own park. We have been able to spend a great deal of time at the park, and it is amazing to see so many Airstreams in one place, everything from the oldest to the newest. We always have something to talk about with whomever is parked beside us.

We are not long time members of the WBCCI, but we are pleased that we joined and we think that we chose a great unit to be a part of.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Wbcci

What's right with the WBCCI
THEY GAVE THE FOUR CORNERS UNIT A FULL CHARTER 26 JUN 2007
Now us outcast,renegades,WBCCI disenchanded and other nice folks have found a good home.
Heck they even let me and my Squarestream in.
So if your any of the above and are looking for a unit to make your home a Big western WELCOME to the 4CU,come join us.
"A cowboy never betray"s a trust"
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Thumbs up Kentucky unit

The Kentucky unit is a "more mature" unit but full of some of the coolest people I have ever met.

* Not overly concerned with regalia - we had our installation rally in t-shirts and sandals.

* Some of the best campfire storytellers I have ever heard. Also some of the best senses of humor I have encountered.

* Solid support - case in point, one member became ill during the last rally. He had to be taken to the hospital and was in no shape to drive his rig & toad back. As you might imagine, his wife was distressed and while capable of handling the problem was pretty focused on family. Within two hours the group had a visitation chain going and 2 members (that were not at the rally) dropped everything to come down, spend the night at the local lodge, and drive the rig back to their home.

* Friendly to a fault - when I pull in (they do this with everyone) the president and at least a few members will run over to your unit and greet you- see if you need anything and make you feel welcome.

* Dues are only a dollar - go figure.

Every group had intrinsic problems but -- I read about difficult personalities in WBCCI but to date I really haven’t met any.

Planning on staying a member for a while longer...

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I like this thread!

The GA Unit also has a great park, and it's a bargain! Full hookups, TV, Wi-Fi (don't count on it during a rally).

We just returned from our installation rally in the No. GA mountains! WOW, what a weekend. We had a full sit-down dinner for 180 at our installation (the park has a great pavillion and large kitchen). Sunday, we cooked our own hotdogs over a campfire before many headed out to the GA State Rally (this week)!

Our unit is like family to its members and works hard to welcome all visitors to the park.

Come visit us!

Matt
GA Unit
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I guess we're just plain lucky to be located here. We're members of the Denver Unit and affiliates of 4CU and Vintage, and all three of them rock!

Lynn