Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
What is the "motorhome issue" in WBCCI?

I keep seeing references to a motorhome issue in various threads. What are the details to this idea? I'm an owner of a classic MH & want to know. I'm also a MAL & trying to decide if I want to stay or go.
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It wasn't actually a motorhome issue, through it is abreviatingly referred to that often times. It was a non-Airstream brand of motorhome also made by Thor that was motioned to be put before the membership for a vote to let other brands of motorhomes other than Airstreams into the club, supposedly to retain members needing new motorhomes, and increase membership by allowing other brand members into the club. The contributing factor was that Airstream stopped manufacturing Airstream motorhomes. This motion came from the IBT and not the membership and was subsequently voted down by the membership. It was a brand identity issue and not an objection to motorhomes manufactured by Airstream. It was hoped that another brand like Four Winds could be rebadged to say Airstream but that was a no-go with Airstream as of warranty issues, etc. Even with a sign it still wouldn't be an Airstream, dah...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
When you own a classic motorhome, you already own a silver classic Airstream that is allowed into WBCCI. Visit several rallies if you have the chance and you may surely find a unit that you'll love being a part of.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
I keep seeing references to a motorhome issue in various threads. What are the details to this idea? I'm an owner of a classic MH & want to know. I'm also a MAL & trying to decide if I want to stay or go.
3 Dog,

Just wanted to amplify upon Carol's answer a little.

Back in 2004 the club took a member survey and one of the questions asked was, "should we allow other brands of RVs into the club?"

Well, WBCCI has been "the Airstream RV association" for its entire life, and 75% of the members answered either "no" or "h*ll no". (Although the survey responses weren't worded quite that way. )

Then, you need to be aware that although 87% of WBCCI members tow trailers, a disproportionate percentage of the International Officers drive motor homes.

So, when Airstream decided to stop making Class A motor homes, the only solution was to allow other brands of motor homes into the club, right? The officers tried to sell the idea for a year--and didn't allow any other opinion in the Blue Beret--but the constitutional amendment still went down by a 2/3 vote.

But that's not the end of the story. I suspect that a good bit of the venom behind the current program to purge the club of "undesirable" members by means of the grievance process stems from the MoHo debacle.

So by all means hang onto your classic motor home--they're neat! And no reason to drop out of the WBCCI, because, 3 Dog, you don't have a dog in that fight. (Sorry--had to say that. . . )

Cheers,
Nuvi
(with 3 dogs, too!)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thanks to all who responded. We love our classic "Laverne" way too much to lose her. We'll do all that we can to keep 'er Airstreamin'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	66380  
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Yeah, even my B-van qualifies me for membership, because it was built by Airstream (well, at least, the parts that weren't built by Ford).

I'll probably upgrade to a classic MH in a few years, though... B-van is kinda cozy.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote