Old 05-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Wearing blue beret optional?

I heard second hand that there was a motion being made by the South Carolina Coastal Unit for making the wearing of the blue beret optional. This was supposedly approved unanimiously by both the SC Executive Board and at a general membership meeting. It has been sent to Tom Tisdel, Region 3 President for presenting at the IBT as an action item on July 5, 2006.

Does anyone have more information on this topic?

Here is a copy of the "IBT Motion Form" I recently received:

IBT MOTION FORM
Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc.

Motion/Item No._______ Meeting Date: July 5, 2006 Location: Salem, OR____

I move that a vote be taken of the membership of each WBCCI unit to determine member wishes regarding wearing the blue beret an optional part of attire for official functions of the organization and that the delegate of each unit represent that vote at the 2007 Delegates’ meeting.

Item to be voted on by the membership through their representative delegate would read:

“I support making the practice of wearing the blue beret optional for officers and other members at all official functions of the club.”

Rationale:
Currently there is the strong expectation that Unit, Region, and International Officers will wear blue berets at all official functions of the club. There is some dispute among the membership as to whether wearing of the blue beret is an agreeable expectation. A vote of the membership of each unit would use the constitutional process to address this issue and accurately determine members’ preferences.

This will allow the Board of Trustees to accept or reject a new policy, based on members’ wishes

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Truth is Stranger Than Fiction

Does it seem strange that the same fossilized leaders that want to eliminate Wally's name from our organization's name insist that we wear his beret, a piece of head gear that only the French could have invented. It will neither shield your face from the sun, nor protect you from the rain, and only Monica Lewinski would wear one out of choice.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
As I understand it, the Blue Beret currently is to be worn at "Official Functions". The question is, what is an "Official Function"?

Our Unit has interpreted it, that Officers are to wear them at the Annual Meeting, the Installation of New Members and the Delegate Representative is to wear one at Regional or International Board Meetings - NOT every person at every rally and luncheon. Of course, some of the older or more nostalgic members wear them because they want to.

Rarely is it an issue...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I always thought the SC coastal unit had some forward thinkers. If they did start that motion, it wouldn't shock me. I don't think the SC folks are "fossilized". It will be interesting to see what happens.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
In almost a year of membership I haven't seen a beret yet. I suppose I will at the International in Salem in June, but then there will be thousands of people there, bound to happen eventually.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
From what I can find in the Blue Book documents, in the WBCCI Bylaws, the blue beret is considered acceptable as formal wear. No more. No mandate. No requirement.

In preparation for the I'Rally, the committee prepares a protocol book which helps participants know when they need to be where and ready for what. This also specifies the appropriate dress for the occasion. This book is a specified function of the committee in the Bylaws.

A protocol does not carry the weight of a policy or rule.

While adhering to the protocol book's guides for event dress might be a good way to conform to propriety and custom, it does not appear to me that it is necessary. I do not see how the Bylaws disciplinary procedures could apply. I do see how any action that would improperly discriminate or disallow a voting member from attending a meeting could have potential legal consequences.

This is an issue that should be handled at committee level, not Constitutional level. If the IBT is to do anything, it should probably just be a resolution identifying the sense of the membership. Put it up for a vote at the appropriate meeting in the proper way and let the vote stand on its own.

In a healthy association, such matters would just kinda' happen a little bit at a time. The fact that folks are making such a big fuss of something like this is an indication of misplaced focus and priorities.

Yes, you might have some folks who insist on mandating what people should wear to WBCCI events. The onus should be on them to present proper bylaws changes that would make their preferences a bylaws rule if they so choose.

If I missing something here, please cite chapter and verse. I looked for it and could not find it. It seems absurd to me to have folks trying to modify the Constitution or Bylaws or even Policies to remove something that doesn't even exist.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammur
In almost a year of membership I haven't seen a beret yet. I suppose I will at the International in Salem in June, but then there will be thousands of people there, bound to happen eventually.
I agree, after almost four years I've never seen one yet either

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Here you go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I agree, after almost four years I've never seen one yet either
For those of you who haven't seen a blue beret yet, here's a photo I took at the International Rally held in Vermont in 2003 that shows many berets at opening ceremonies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blueberets.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	21220  

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
one sizes fits all???
Personally, after being at the beach with the chills..I'd wear one anyday..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
If we change the name of the club, will I get a new patch to put on the beret? I don't recall the beret on my camping gear checklist next to extra socks, waterproof matches, gopher hole shovel, campfire song book and holding tank chemicals.

How 'bout a new style for the millenium designed by Roots or Stormy Kromer. Maybe a cowboy hat or pith helmet.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
For those of you who haven't seen a blue beret yet, here's a photo I took at the International Rally held in Vermont in 2003 that shows many berets at opening ceremonies.
sporty, ain't they?

now, I could swear I had a pic around here somewhere, of Yukionna sportin' her blue bonnet....

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up You're right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
sporty, ain't they?

now, I could swear I had a pic around here somewhere, of Yukionna sportin' her blue bonnet....

Chuck, check out the Quipper..it's in one of the most recent issues...
How do you like your drink?? Owe you one..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
That appears to be the Delagate seating area...not the general attendee seating.

Those are the folks that are participating in the "Official Function" of the Opening (or Closing) Flag Ceremony, (much like the Olympics) which is an "Official Function", thus the berets & matching attire.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
In the opening ceremony the International officers and flag bearers wear their uniform including berets.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote