Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
WDCU Pros/Cons

I'm looking at possibly changing units in my area (Northern Virginia) and thought I might also consider the Washington DC unit.

Any pros/cons to joining WDCU?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
I'm looking at possibly changing units in my area (Northern Virginia) and thought I might also consider the Washington DC unit.

Any pros/cons to joining WDCU?
Pros:
  • Younger more progressive group of folks belong to WDCU
  • Many very cool vintage Airstreams - some with vintage tow vehicles
  • Very small $ for Unit dues
Cons:
  • None that I can think of
We have a number of folks who are in the WDCU who attend our NEU rallies as they live in the New England area. These are fun loving folks, many with a real passion for vintage Airstreams.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
You should join any WBCCI Units that have events you attend or people you call friends and communicate with regularly. Choose one of the units as your primary unit which will be the unit through which you pay national dues and vote at regional and national levels.

If you are seriously concerned about the $10 or so variance in Unit dues per year as a criterion in choosing a Unit to join, I think you need to work on some personal issues first.

The idea behind WBCCI Units is that of a group of Airstream owning friends who get together and do things together with their RV's. This usually means they are geographically close because most folks can't schedule long travel times on a regular basis to get together with friends - but some can and some have other ways of doing things.

And, if you can't find a Unit to fit your style, gather a dozen or more Airstream RV owners who share your style and start your own unit.

Have fun, get out in your Airstream and use it for what it was made for!
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
1992 29' Excella
1976 25' Tradewind
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/2slides
Anacortes , Washington
For us, a very big "Pro" for the WDCU is that you will have a voice in WBCCI. Some (not all) local units require that you be present at a business meeting to cast a vote. This became very unpleasant for us, as we had strong feelings on the name change issue and could not vote, because we were on a WBCCI national caravan far from our local unit at the time the business meeting was held.

If you become a MAL (Member at Large), you will never have a vote.
wnew1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I recently changed my unit of record to WDCU so that hopefully, my vote on future issues, like the name change, will be correctly voted. My 2006 unit of record took a mail vote on the name change and the vote was 75% against. When it came time to vote, the president voted 100% for! The unit in my new area did the same thing. The member vote was 100% against the name change, yet the deligate voted 100% yes. WDCU followed their member vote. Sooo, I decided to have a say in future issues, even tho I live in Iowa.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

rseagle,

You don't say why you are thinking of changing. I had the chance to stop by your install rally this past weekend in Front Royal, Va.. Seemed like a nice bunch of people. I was ony there for about 20minutes, they had just finished the install when my wife, child and I stopped by.

We in the WDCU have been "accused" of stealing sheep. We have had people join our unit as a last resort to leaving the WBCCI. I'd rather see you join us or go member at large than leave the club. All I can say is we are a pretty laid back group of people. I would say our unit is about 30% over 65 years of age, 40% empty nesters in the 50-65 age range and 30% of us being in the 35-50 year range with kids from 4-15 years old. Someone brought up the voting, we voting just like the votes were cast(if you do a search on the forums, you'll find the numbers breakdown).

Our unit does own "a" beret. It is passed down from prez to prez(this way the prez has something to wear at International). We do poke fun at each other, so one should have a thick skin. Some may say we are not serious enough.

About 80% of the trailers are vintage,some of us use vintage pullers, but we are getting more and more people with newer models.

We are having our install rally the second weekend in Oct. in PA. Info can be found here on the rally. http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/ You are welcome to join us. Not sure of the spots left at the rally(water, elec, etc..) Contact Star Grover off our website, she can tell you what's left.

I'd like to know why you are thinking of changing, if you like, you can email me off line or post here, it's up to you.

Paul Waddell
WDCU 1stVP (to be impeached)
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We went to the 2006 Cherry Blossom Rally and had such a great time, we immediately decided to become affiliate members of the WDCU. They're a great bunch of people. In fact, we really enjoy our time with both of our units.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
rseagle,

You don't say why you are thinking of changing. I had the chance to stop by your install rally this past weekend in Front Royal, Va.. Seemed like a nice bunch of people. I was ony there for about 20minutes, they had just finished the install when my wife, child and I stopped by.

We in the WDCU have been "accused" of stealing sheep. We have had people join our unit as a last resort to leaving the WBCCI. I'd rather see you join us or go member at large than leave the club. All I can say is we are a pretty laid back group of people. I would say our unit is about 30% over 65 years of age, 40% empty nesters in the 50-65 age range and 30% of us being in the 35-50 year range with kids from 4-15 years old. Someone brought up the voting, we voting just like the votes were cast(if you do a search on the forums, you'll find the numbers breakdown).

Our unit does own "a" beret. It is passed down from prez to prez(this way the prez has something to wear at International). We do poke fun at each other, so one should have a thick skin. Some may say we are not serious enough.

About 80% of the trailers are vintage,some of us use vintage pullers, but we are getting more and more people with newer models.

We are having our install rally the second weekend in Oct. in PA. Info can be found here on the rally. http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/ You are welcome to join us. Not sure of the spots left at the rally(water, elec, etc..) Contact Star Grover off our website, she can tell you what's left.

I'd like to know why you are thinking of changing, if you like, you can email me off line or post here, it's up to you.

Paul Waddell
We in the NEU have been accused of stealing members from other units too. We do not steal, we just offer a great overall experience for our members and this attracts folks who feel their current unit does not meet their needs. It is a great disappointment to me that the hard work we've put into expanding the NEU *and* the WBCCI is looked on with suspicion by some people. Oh well, I'm pretty sure as a volunteer I cannot be fired from my position as Membership Chairperson for the New England Unit. Of course, I could be impeached.....

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair

Paul Waddell
Paul -- Just a question about your install rally. Is this a requirement of new members? I've heard there are units that require new members to go through installation, or attend a rally to receive new member info and they might not be considered members until they do this. Is this the case with WDCU?

Thanks,
-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
I recently changed my unit of record to WDCU so that hopefully, my vote on future issues, like the name change, will be correctly voted. My 2006 unit of record took a mail vote on the name change and the vote was 75% against. When it came time to vote, the president voted 100% for! The unit in my new area did the same thing. The member vote was 100% against the name change, yet the deligate voted 100% yes. WDCU followed their member vote. Sooo, I decided to have a say in future issues, even tho I live in Iowa.
And people do surveys to find out what's wrong with the club.....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
bob,

i liken your question about changing Units to someone considering a joining a new church congregation within the same religious denomination. you can ask around about the prospective church and it's congregation, but until you actually "worship" with them you won't know if the move will be right for sure.

like others that have chimed in on this thread, i went to WDCU's Cherry Blossom Rally this past spring and my wife and i decided to pony up the $1 to become affiliates in the DC Unit. Our main Unit is still Watchung NJ (see http://www.watchungunit.org - yeah...i'm the webmaster there) but we very much enjoyed the camaraderie of the WDCU.

To throw a little more religious connotation into the mix - my 'Airstreaming Rabbi' is the 2nd Veep in WDCU. hey Pete - will we see you in New Hope?

--Dave
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Paul -- Just a question about your install rally. Is this a requirement of new members? I've heard there are units that require new members to go through installation, or attend a rally to receive new member info and they might not be considered members until they do this. Is this the case with WDCU?

Thanks,
-Jamie
Just to answer for Paul. Nothing is required of new members except $1 and the desire to have fun with their trailer. Our Installation is usually done at the evening campfire and is the highlight of the year, to see how laid back we can be and still be legal.

Past Pres. WDCU from Ontario, Canada
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

dougjamie,

The shacksman is correct! (for once). If you want to be a member or an affiliate, it will cost you a buck! You "do not" need to be a member of the WDCU to join us at one of our rallies. You being a member of the WBCCI can attend any rally, of any unit, at any time, without being a member or affiliate of the unit of the rally you wish to attend. So, I would suggest, come, have fun and do as you please. If you want to join, fine. If you want to become an affiliate, fine. If you wish to keep your membership were you are and just hangout with us, that's fine too! We in the WDCU are all about having fun. As Doug pointed out, we do however sometimes skate that fine line.

Paul Waddell
Old 09-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Paul, Doug -- thanks for your answers. WDCU sounds like a nice unit to reside in.

I've heard tell of this "stealing" theory and I believe we're all free agents in WBCCI. Paul - Have you been impeached because you were charged with Grand Theft Members?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

dougjamie,

No, I keep hoping "to be impeached" before I become Prez next year. Can not get anyone to start the proceedings.

Paul Waddell