Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup

I understand where you are coming from and the position that you are taking. However, we have our road map and have been working on it for over a year now. Thus far, we have accomplished all that we set out to do as outlined in posts above. We know that perhaps the solutions we have produced may not be perfect, but no solution ever is.

However, this thread is not about the database, it is about the web site. And I understand that updating content may not be your bag and perhaps even a waste of your time. That is fine. We still are proceeding with the mandates we have been given. Most of those mandates are out of the purview of the general public.

If you are as passionate as you seem to be about the database issue, I can recommend that you submit your proposal to the Executive Committee as soon as possible. All ideas should be explored fully in this issue. Include your complete vision along with budgetary requirements and perhaps examples of what you are talking about to them for their consideration. As I said, they are reviewing the issue right now and are probably quite receptive to visions that might far exceed the collective vision of our committee. Keep in mind that the office staff is the people who will be mostly impacted by any changes and they need a solution that is simple to use, reliable and easy to maintain. The leadership is going to want a solution that has low cost at the outset, low cost for the duration of its hopefully long life and flexibility to adapt to the growing needs of the club. I would be happy to review your proposal and offer suggestions based on my experience in this area and dealing with the club for the past 5+ years I have been involved in these issues.

Now - returning this thread to the subject for which it is intended....

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
2014 Mouse count: Buttercup - 0 / Airtini -
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
IF you aint got nuffin in writting Buttercup,Id tread very lightly. I have watched this club for a few years now and those who have tried to take the halter of this stubborn mule and lead it to water,as it were, are now on the outside lookin in.
I will not see your reply as I will now use the thread tool givin by this site.

Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Man. What does ANY of this club politics stuff have to do with getting volunteers in to help with the website? If you don't want to volunteer, don't. A database is not a website. A website is not the organization. If you don't like the organizational aspects of a club, trying to change it through the website design is probably not very efficient use of anyone's time.

For instance, take just one thing mentioned that people seem to want:

Can we easily take payments through a website, speaking from the tech POV? Yes, it's quite easy. No problem. We'll just add a page to do that. BUT. The stuff that surrounds taking payments, OTOH, is much more difficult. Putting in a payment page means making sure it's on a secure cert, there's a payment there for the cert. No problem, that's a comparatively small amount. Oh, we need a shopping cart -- shall we pay for one, or find a free one and get that to work? Then there's the gateway, so then you have to get a merchant account. Who is paying for that merchant account, first, and second, do the fees for that transaction come out of club fees, do those numbers add up? Are dues going to have to go up to make up for that for that, and by how much? Have you got the accounts set up for that in your accounting office to track all of that? Oh, what kind of system do you use for your books, and do you want to put that stuff in manually or shall we get a programmer in, so we can effectively track who has made payments and who hasn't? Maybe we should just revamp the books entirely? By the way, who's paying for all of this?

Okay. That's one thing. What else did you want, now?
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #32
1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Technology Help for ECC

As a member of the Electronic Communictions Committee I was delighted to read nvestysly's post #19. S/he has outlined PRECISELY what the ECC envisions for the new WBCCI website. As the ECC representative at the IBT I had very productive discussions with the EC on technology plans for the future. Everyone I spoke with, including International Presidents, Region Officers, and members, were acutely aware of how our club is stuck in the 20th Century and needs to use modern technology to serve the information needs of our members. Everything mentioned in #19 is already in the planning stages.

We have people on our committee with a variety of expertise (database architects, web-site designers, systems consultants, etc.) and all of us are working very hard on our three priorities: 1) new wbcci website, 2) upgrade of WordPress software to the current version, and 3) installation of a new database that will interface with the new website and allow members dynamic access to the WBCCI database.

We are confident we can do that within the budget allocation awarded us at the IBT in January.

I hope members will give us a chance to prove what we can do.Per Buttercup's initial request.... "It's better to light a single candle than curse the darkness."

If you have a sincere interest in helping the club move forward please offer to help us load and maintain content on the website. The website isn't the end of our work. It's just the beginning. Contact to volunteer and I'll send you a list of web site sections that need to be maintained. You can choose your section.

Your club and the ECC need people who have some time, expertise, and a positive attitude.

fraubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #33
1974 27' Overlander
mi , saginaw
would like to be a mamber

i just got a 73 over lander and would like to join and I have 18 years as web design and know jombla and phpfourms and many oters ar you thinking of hosting it your self on a VPS or a host?

hit me up also do database rollovers
HumbleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #34
VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup

We need all of our volunteers to be full members of WBCCI for obvious reasons. So I encourage you to please join the club through your local unit and then do contact us to become a part of this effort. I will PM you to talk about this more. If you know Joomla and can spell Database, you have just become my new best friend (with apologies to all my other best friends out there - you all are still my best friend).

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
2014 Mouse count: Buttercup - 0 / Airtini -
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Speaking from the viewpoint of a frustrated WBCCI member, thank you to all who are working on this project. I don't have any of the necessary skills needed to help, but am very grateful to those of you who do and are willing to volunteer.

If this club is going to be sustainable, electronic access for the membership is vital!

Again thank you. I will be eagerly looking forward to the results of your work.

Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote