Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #61
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Umm...Not that I want to foment insurrection, but why couldn't somebody file a grievance against Jim? I don't want to stoop to his level, but aren't there ways to do this? Maybe several people? At the same time?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
That's the thing, any one member can file a grievance and then the Grievance Committee has no choice but to have a hearing. There's nothing that allows them to bypass a frivolous complaint, and all complaints must be dealt with.

I doubt there will be any sanction taken against Thompson, and I know for a fact that Jim Franklin has burned down a lot of his bridges. Even when he was Int'l President some of his own Chairmen used an expletive to describe him, and that was startling to me to hear a grandmother use such language. But that is how much they despised him.

What we are not fully understanding is that many of the older members of the WBCCI believe that you should always support the office even if you don't care for the office holder. We should not confuse one with the other.

It will be interesting to see if Franklin chairs any committee this following year. Quite often past presidents are utilized in that fashion, but if Franklin ends up not chairing anything then that will be proof positive to me that he is on the outside.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #63
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Does anyone else think it is absurd that a camping club has a "Grievance Committee"?
Yeah.

What's worse is they once thought there was a need for it.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #64

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The Blue Beret speaks for itself. It reads like a newsletter from a nursing home.

A camping club that wears suits and ties and has a flag parade. Give me a break! I want to hear about Airstreams, not a crafts and quilting show.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:33 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
The Blue Beret speaks for itself. It reads like a newsletter from a nursing home.
Brian
We belong to three other organizations that have their own publications. National Street Rod Association has "Street Scene", Goodguys Rod and Custom has the "Goodguys Gazette". Both of these organizations have nearly 100,000 members each, so their publications are what you would expect.

A couple of years ago we joined the "American Kitefliers Association" (AKA). They have only 4,000 members world wide. Their magazine "Kiting" is only quarterly, but usually has about 60 pages, most all in full color, featuring photos from kite festivals all over the world. AKA is broken into regions, much like WBCCI. The Representative from each region submits a part-page "report", usually with color photos, about activities in their region. Fabulous publication. Dues? $35 per year. Insurance? $1,000,000 for individuals flying at sanctioned events. 10% discount at kite stores. $400 can go real fast on good kite stuff, and you get your dues back.

You should see their annual International Convention. WOW!!

Blue Beret............Right.........
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
WBCCI doomed for failure

I've been lurking the WBCCI stuff on this forum for a while now without commenting. We bought our trailer used last year and the previous owner gave us a couple of their more recent copies of the Blue Beret plus our "new" trailer still had their red numbers attached.

My wife and I did gasp at the "look and feel" of the Blue Beret but we shut our eyes and went ahead due to my interest in getting our own red numbers and joined the WBCCI along with the WDCU group.

We even talked at length with the unit about activities to get involved with etc.

What really turned us off was last year's IBT International. We were close enough to attend but didn't, however, we did listen to the meetings via the internet. We were shocked when we actually began reading the club rule book.

Even though everyone here that are members keep saying we're sticking around to make changes, the rules are written in a way that its practically impossible to make any.

Then when I looked at how much money goes to the IBT and NOT to the local unit was the final decider for me. We would have renewed if the ratio was the other way around.

As I see it, the WBCCI is doomed to failure as there is not enough time to make the changes needed to attract new members and the funds will no longer be sufficient to continue the current operation.

Its a shame as the Airstream history is unique to the industry and when we're traveling in ours, whether driving down the road or staying in a campground, you know others are watching with envy. Yet, the WBCCI can't retain or grow its membership? Questions?

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #67
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'll probably get tossed out on my virtual ear for this, but I think we should remove the rules, and replace them with a simplified vesrion, consisting of two rules:
1-Go camping
2-Have fun doing it.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:02 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I sort of doubt that WBCCI is doomed for failure, but it is doomed to change. The WBCCI is undergoing major generational change and the accompanying changes to budget and organization. In this sense, it is not unlke other organizations that I've belonged to, including especially my old department, the grad school, and other larger units of the university. It is a glacially slow process, much like aging itself, but it is happening, undeniably. The process also provides lots of opportunity: If you've got ideas on how to change things or to create things anew, jump in there. One need go no further than the Four Corners Unit to observe the result.

Unlike university units, though, the WBCCI organization and its units are intended to provide Airstreaming fun (aka camping) and fellowship, and even while undergoing change, that's exactly what the WBCCI provides for us.

Lynn
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I sort of doubt that WBCCI is doomed for failure, but it is doomed to change. The WBCCI is undergoing major generational change and the accompanying changes to budget and organization. In this sense, it is not unlke other organizations that I've belonged to, including especially my old department, the grad school, and other larger units of the university. It is a glacially slow process, much like aging itself, but it is happening, undeniably. The process also provides lots of opportunity: If you've got ideas on how to change things or to create things anew, jump in there. One need go no further than the Four Corners Unit to observe the result.

Unlike university units, though, the WBCCI organization and its units are intended to provide Airstreaming fun (aka camping) and fellowship, and even while undergoing change, that's exactly what the WBCCI provides for us.

Lynn
Fortunately universities have plenty of state and federal funds to support their operations, however, the WBCCI is solely funded by "private" membership fees. If the membership continues to decline due to the "perceived" inefficiencies of the corporate board running the club, then how long can the organization stay afloat before the necessary changes can be made?

One only has to look at GM, Ford and other US manufacturers that have failed to make the necessary changes to remain competitive in our world economy. Is the WBCCI any different?

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
The Member filing these charges for political reasons is not acting in the best intrests of our Club.

I trust the committee and the IBT will not validate his actions. If they do it will send a very negative message to the membership.

I encourage any Member who is unhappy with the direction of the Club to make the sacrifice and effort to run for office. It won't take very long before the direction changes.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I suspect also that it is being done for political reasons and perhaps for a little vengence. Jim seems to really dislike the " bloggers". I wonder if he is aware that we are not technically bloggers, we are more like posters.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #72
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I suspect also that it is being done for political reasons and perhaps for a little vengence. Jim seems to really dislike the " bloggers". I wonder if he is aware that we are not technically bloggers, we are more like posters.
Here's another word for them (us?):

MEMBERS
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Getting along with "Them"

I too think there is a change coming about in WBCCI. New generation etc, etc, etc,. We can maintain our "cool" while we bring this thing about.

Once, many years ago, my father gave me some really good advice for dealing with situations like this one.

He said, "Yes them to death, then do as you damn well please." I have found that to be very good advice. What "they" want to hear is "YES SIR". So, let them hear it, then do as you please.

Go camping, caravaning and have fun. They will be gone, and we will still be camping, caravaning and having fun.

'nuff said.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
I too think there is a change coming about in WBCCI. New generation etc, etc, etc,. We can maintain our "cool" while we bring this thing about.

Once, many years ago, my father gave me some really good advice for dealing with situations like this one.

He said, "Yes them to death, then do as you damn well please." I have found that to be very good advice. What "they" want to hear is "YES SIR". So, let them hear it, then do as you please.

Go camping, caravaning and have fun. They will be gone, and we will still be camping, caravaning and having fun.

'nuff said.
Jim,

Great advise, yes sir and smile. Sometimes better to beg for forgiveness rather than to ask permission. I spoke with several Region Presidents this year in Bozeman and all of them were great and one even said wait for the WWII generation to leave, changes will happen. Most of the Region Presidents were at the VAC open house and most of them were at the VAC happy hour on July 2 and they supplied the appetizers, unfortunately, we had already planned to leave that day for our trip to Glacier NP. I am sorry that we missed that happy hour.

One other item about IBT cooperation. On Sunday, June 29, the date of the VAC open house, I mentioned to one Region President that the only trash dumpster in Purple 1 and 2 was overflowing and trash was being placed around the dumpster. I stated that I realized that is was Sunday, but if there was some way to get the dumpster emptied and a second one delivered it would be great. He stated that Norm Beu, 3rd IVP and in charge of grounds, was at the open house and he would find Norm. In less that three hours, someone and their wife appeared with a pickup truck and picked up the trash around the dumpster and on Monday a second dumpster was delivered and the first one was emptied. I thank everyone who made this happen.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Mom's advice

Once I was having in-law problems which I won't go into here. Mom gave me this advice. I followed it and it ended my in-law problems.

"Sometimes you have to loose the battle in order to win the war."

Kind of goes along with what Dad said.

They were great parents. I miss them both.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
What would Dr. Phil say about this Bru ha ha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Once I was having in-law problems which I won't go into here. Mom gave me this advice. I followed it and it ended my in-law problems.

"Sometimes you have to loose the battle in order to win the war."

Kind of goes along with what Dad said.

They were great parents. I miss them both.
In other words...... Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
The in-law issue

The in-laws wanted an issue to go their way, I didn't. I felt it was my business, not theirs. They were willing to make a 2500 mile trip each way to come to California to "get their way". I resolved the issue "their way" before they left for their trip, but did not tell them. I let them make the trip.
When they got here, I had the pleasure of telling them that the issue had been resolved. There was dead silence. They never again butted into my business. They got the message fast, real fast.

That's loosing the battle to win the war. There was no more war with those folks. After that we got along just fine.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Maybe I'll join just so we can tag team the grievence committee.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Was that Don and not Jim?

[ He come from a mentality of a strong militaristic stance - remember him telling people to "stand down" at the 2006 delegates meeting. Who says "stand down"?
[/QUOTE]

I think that was Don S and not Jim F but I could be wrong. but a Stand Down is a Stand Down.
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Membership

I have been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. My wife and I ( and the two kids) recently purchased our first Airstream, a long time dream fulfilled. As a 30's couple WITH children we are the very people the WBCCI should be encouraging and recruiting. To be sure every decision we make includes our children and if the club creates an atmosphere or perception that children are not welcome we will not be interested. We intend to join our regional organization but may hold out to see how it goes to join the international. I would hate to think an organization created for enjoyment, fellowship and entertainment would stifle the very opinions that may keep it alive. Change is inevitable, refreshing and necessary if the next generation will find the WBCCI worth saving, and I really hope that is the case. Regardless, owning an Airstream is special not because it is the most expensive but because it is unique, it has class and an amazing history. It would be interesting to create a thread (a running list) of ideas that could improve the WBCCI to increase new membership.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decline, membership, wbcci