Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
WBCCI's Forums Down?

It looks like the WBCCI's forums have been shut down. Using the direct link does not work and the link off WBCCI's site - http://wbcci.org/forum.html - says that it was shut down. Looks like it was shut down sometime late yesterday or early this morning.
Quote:
The club forum is closed until further notice. The Executive Committee and the Electronic Communications Standing Committee regret having to take this action. The course to be taken to provide another option for club membership discussions will be posted here and in the Blue Beret as it develops.
I, of course, am very curious about what is happening..... and why.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 10-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Perhaps a new one is in the works without you know who running it!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I, and I am sure many others have repeatedly suggested that the forum needed to be scrapped and another start made which is under the control of the WBCCI, not an outside vendor. It is my personal feeling that Charlie had the best of intentions and just made a bad decision in the direction he went. Perhaps that decision will be corrected now?

I get a "server not found" message, which is better than being re directed to a site selling used trailers like happened to region 3.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Well, WBCCI has control of the domain name, so they can have the subdomain point to anywhere. I think it is likely that WBCCI just deleted the subdomain so that it would no longer exist.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 10-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Interesting. I have no idea why they would need to shut it down, it seems they were pretty tight on control already. If the WBCCI owned the data, it would certainly seem like a step backwards to loose the knowledge that had already been shared.

Over the years we have seen various forums/bulletin boards come and go from the club. I'd like to extend an offer to them (again) to piggy back off our resources and use AIR as a place for them to chat. Managing a forum is not cheap or easy, why keep repeating the same mistake?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Official statement as found on the main WBCCI site.

http://wbcci.org/forum.html

The club forum is closed until further notice. The Executive Committee and the Electronic Communications Standing Committee regret having to take this action. The course to be taken to provide another option for club membership discussions will be posted here and in the Blue Beret as it develops.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How about unofficially Twink? When and how were you notified and do you think you will be a moderator in the future when the new forums open?

photography
Old 10-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I don't think we will ever hear why the forums were shut down exactly. But I have a few guesses.....
Old 10-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have no additional information official or otherwise to share on the subject. If anyone has further questions about it, I would encourage any WBCCI member to contact their leadership through the established channels.

I have not been asked to participate in any future WBCCI endeavor, nor have been told either way if a replacement WBCCI electronic community will be forthcoming.

Personally, my sense is that given the rosy relationship I've seen between Social Knowledge, WBCCI and Airstream itself, hell might have to freeze over before anyone seriously considered any type of serious partnership, but keep in mind I don't speak for WBCCI, Airstream and for sure don't speak for Social Knowledge, but anyone that has followed the forums over the past few years and kept their eyes and ears in the community could possibly draw the same conclusion.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Personally, my sense is that given the rosy relationship I've seen between Social Knowledge, WBCCI and Airstream itself, hell might have to freeze over before anyone seriously considered any type of serious partnership, but keep in mind I don't speak for WBCCI, Airstream and for sure don't speak for Social Knowledge, but anyone that has followed the forums over the past few years and kept their eyes and ears in the community could possibly draw the same conclusion.
I am not sure what you are talking about. We have a fine relationship with Airstream, Inc. As for the WBCCI, I don't know of any issues with them either. Heck, the management team of AIR has more WBCCI members leading this community then their own forums did!

Maybe you are alluding to the fact that we have allowed controversial topics to be discussed as long as the conversations remained civil. I am sure some organizations that where criticized in those discussions probably don't enjoy the open dialoged that is allowed here. You don't blame the phone company for the conversations that happen or the email providers for what people send via email so don't blame us for providing a channel for Airstreamers to communicate.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Most likely no official notice will ever be forthcoming but I suspect the evidence will be in a new cast of characters.

I will notice the change when I am allowed to sign on again.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Social Knowledge, LLC has done nothing to WBCCI but offer to help the community as Andy just did today. That isn't the first time I have seen that offer and others made to WBCCI. As far as I can see, the only reason that the relationship is not rosy has little to do with Social Knowledge itself. Perhaps WBCCI may not like the opinions expressed on AirForums.com, but it is not Social Knowledge's responsibility to run a forums in a way that WBCCI sees fit.
So I see that statement as more a testament to WBCCI's unwillingness to embrace the Airstream community at large rather than see it as some fault of Social Knowledge. WBCCI caters to a demographic that is very different than the general membership of these forums.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about. We have a fine relationship with Airstream, Inc. As for the WBCCI, I don't know of any issues with them either. Heck, the management team of AIR has more WBCCI members leading this community then their own forums did!

Maybe you are alluding to the fact that we have allowed controversial topics to be discussed as long as the conversations remained civil. I am sure some organizations that where criticized in those discussions probably don't enjoy the open dialoged that is allowed here. You don't blame the phone company for the conversations that happen or the email providers for what people send via email so don't blame us for providing a channel for Airstreamers to communicate.
Of course you don't know what I'm talking about. I've said my bit and stand by every word, I will simply say you have a somewhat selective memory Andy, but it's your forum, you get to keep whatever truths you see fit.

We'll just have to agree to disagree and see how the "fine" relationship(s) continue to develop and if anyone takes you up on your generous, gracious and selfless offer(s).
Old 10-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Social Knowledge, LLC has done nothing to WBCCI but offer to help the community as Andy just did today. That isn't the first time I have seen that offer and others made to WBCCI. As far as I can see, the only reason that the relationship is not rosy has little to do with Social Knowledge itself. Perhaps WBCCI may not like the opinions expressed on AirForums.com, but it is not Social Knowledge's responsibility to run a forums in a way that WBCCI sees fit.
So I see that statement as more a testament to WBCCI's unwillingness to embrace the Airstream community at large rather than see it as some fault of Social Knowledge. WBCCI caters to a demographic that is very different than the general membership of these forums.
Sure Leo, right, I mean who in their right mind would ever have taken offense or note that one of the mods here on this forum suggesting that the leadership of WBCCI should be castrated, or comparing some aspects to WBCCI's organization to Hugo Chavez. Need I go on? I think not, as I said, I'll leave this to you all to hash out. You keep thinkin' the way you do Tim. It's done wonders for you to date. I've said more than I intended to say and am officially off any subject having to do with WBCCI for a while. Folks have a long memory if other(s) don't, but who knows what the future will hold....anything is possible as time heals all wounds......eventually......
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
....., but anyone that has followed the forums over the past few years and kept their eyes and ears in the community could possibly draw the same conclusion.
I wouldn't and I have seen more behind the scenes than most. OTOH, if it were me I would run from hosting WBCCI forums like it was a plague ship. But thats just me.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Ummm.... I am not Leo, Twink. I am Tim Kendziorski, VAC 3rd Vice President and VAC Webmaster and WBCCI #17330 among others.
Do you have any idea how bitter you sound right now?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Ummm.... I am not Leo, Twink. I am Tim Kendziorski, VAC 3rd Vice President and VAC Webmaster and WBCCI #17330 among others.
Do you have any idea how bitter you sound right now?
Sure Tim. I'd be careful throwing stones in the glass houses.

Yea, I think I have a right to be somewhat unhappy with what has gone on, but that aside, it's amazing to me and also notable the twist/spin on how innocent AF has been to WBCCI.

I'm not sayin' they (WBCCI) didn't have and still doesn't have issues (some I agreed with, that you all brought up-- even though I never didn't acknowledge it in public), but there was a time, early on when this forum started where you didn't have to go too far before the chain got pulled. As an outspoken member, I can tell you my chain was pulled probably more than most...and for far less egregious things I might add. As a few "seasoned" members who have been here a while can tell you, the depth and latitude that was given in the subject of WBCCI on this forum was as the discretion of it's operator and agents...with little of it positive, so you can see how I'd question how anyone could think that they would ever take Andy up on his offer.

In the end, like I said, time heals all wounds...eventually.

It is what it is.....time to say goodnight Gracie.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Really? AirForums has some sort of responsibility to WBCCI? If that is true then the converse also exists, does it not? I Think it is fairly common knowledge at this point that the owner of the previous forums had a very poor relationship with Airforums. THAT relationship has done more to sever ties with the airstream community here than just about anything else (remember when no mention of AirForums was allowed over there?).

Yea, I hear your bitterness about AirForums in your writing but you know what, I think it has more to do with your own personal relationship with these forums than anything else. But I could be wrong. You are a hard one to figure out, Twink - you so strongly supported the WBCCI's forums but were not a member of WBCCI (that alone was a big issue for so many people). The owner of WBCCI's forums was, in my humble opinion, the type of person to play fairly with others. It has been discussed before - for example, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ums-68420.html.
Documented differential and preferential treatment of actual members in good standing. I wonder if THAT is what caught up with the forums in the first place. It is a drastic move to shut down a forums that reported by some to be growing by leaps and bounds.
To me the question is, did the forums get shut down by WBCCI, or was it shut down by the owner? I hope my BIGGEST fear is not realized at this point - that all of the data - database, attachments, etc. - is not lost. I was afraid of this scenario and was outspoken about it and the primary reason this "partnership" should not have happened in the first place. I hope I am wrong and a backup exists somewhere.... Well, there is ONE backup I know of for WBCCI's old forums.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #19
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
I hope my BIGGEST fear is not realized at this point - that all of the data - database, attachments, etc. - is not lost.
That should be proprietary property of the club, possible copyrights in question as well.

He also pulled the plug on his units web site over a disagreement.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
That will be my big question, who pulled the plug on whom? If it was the true forums owner, then I would ask, did he leave the WBCCI high and dry, without a backup. If it was WBCCI, did they get a backup before pulling the plug. The more I think about this, the more I fear there just is no backup available to the club...... God, I hope I am wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, post edit, vintage-airstream.com