Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
WBCCI censorship was the end of WBCCI forums not ownership by a private webmaster. Don't get so absorbed with other issues that we fail to concentrate on the future of member to leadership communication within the club. Let's not divert attention from the impact of the direction and gravity of the IBT's recent decisions. Leo is correct, this is a major setback. Just in the past five years or so we are looking at the third round of committees that are supposed to bring about relief and modernization. Also probably no less than three serious surveys have been taken and recorded and still as pointed out the only action item the IBT wants to consider is allowing other brand motorhomes into an Airstream only club so they can continue to lead regardless of membership criteria to accommodate themselves and friends irregardless of their duty of guardianship to the WBCCI. This may be a bigger deal to members as another member value just gone belly up without a word but it isn't even a glancing blow to the IBT and their pursuits. It's been a good year for stomping out confrontation and competition for them and it appears to be continuing unchecked.

photography
Old 10-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #58
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
WBCCI put its trust in one person to manage the modernization of the communications for the club. That person put his trust in one person, who was not a member in good standing in WBCCI, to provide those assets to the club.
That trust was misplaced in my opinion. and that is what caused the closure and hijacking of the clubs forums.
Look, this forums stuff isn't the easiest to figure out at times. The owner of those new forums didn't even know how to properly set them up and frequently had to ask for help in getting it going. He even had to ask how to set up his own "Miserable Users" hack for crying out loud!
The WBCCI can come through this hijacking! But it needs to have a skilled team of people to do it. I wonder, how mant WBCCI members would volunteer to be sure that this happens for the club?

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #59
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wanted to thank all of you for MORE good entertainment. I will not comment. I am just going to follow along. Carry on, your doing just great...
Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Sounds like it's time for another flurry of Cease and Desist letters. Dinsmore & Shohles must be laughing all the way to the bank.
But there is only $1000 in the budget for legal again this year.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
WBCCI censorship was the end of WBCCI forums not ownership by a private webmaster.
I believe the two went hand in hand as anyone who ever posted anything disagreeing with the private webmaster/moderator/administrator can attest to.

The real moderators would at least work with a poster to reword a "hot" post although I think they were trying to keep things on the nice level of those cartoon chipmunks which was taking it a bit too far..
I would suspect that the private forum owner was responsible for the blocking of some IP addresses , keeping some people from even viewing the opening page as well as the miserable users hack.
At least I would like to think our own committee did not do that.
Probably we will never know.

It would be nice to see some official communications from the WBCCI. After all we are paying the big bucks ($35. a month?)for constant contact which is not being used.

The "newest" forum still is using the same member list, passwords etc.
This seems questionable to me.
Weren't we supposed to own the content, if not the software?
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Oh well I didn't get the "Hey we have a new site" email from the man.

I guess based on some of the PM's he and I had, he decided it ws best not to have mee has a member.

Not real sure how he can use the WBCCI email members list, etc... to contact people to join.

I said sometime ago that he might try to hold the WBCCI hostage. Maybe he tried it and they told him to pound sand.

I'm sure this will turn out like the DW lawsuit, you'll have one side saying one thing and the other side saying another.

It's worth the dues just for the entertainment.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Oddly, I still have my old PM from when I first registered on the forum.

"Thanks for registering at WBCCI Airstream Forums - The ORIGINAL Airstream Community! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

All the best,

WBCCI Airstream Forums - The ORIGINAL Airstream Community"

I would think that when he renamed it the "Professional" Airstreamer's choice, he would have removed all signs of the WBCCI. Still through my searching have I found links for WBCCI pages that he hasn't removed. He must have been in a hurry. I didn't know that Airstreaming was a profession for other than a small handful of people that full time in their trailers while conduction business. I have requested to be removed....let's see the response I get.

Steve
Old 10-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Amazing how much it looks like the old WBCCI forums site.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
The "newest" forum still is using the same member list, passwords etc.
This seems questionable to me.
Weren't we supposed to own the content, if not the software?
I logged on and it does look the same and my log in and password are unchanged and I think a notification e-mail to members was appropriate from the webmaster. Just because the WBCCI pulled the cord why would the forum have to dissolve? Does "we" mean the WBCCI IBT who has controlled the decisions, WBCCI members who had joined the forums, or the WBCCI members and non-members that are registered to use the site? Critical content was never the venue formerly so whether it is preserved or purged doesn't matter as much as the issue to dissolution or preservation.

Tim's cautions were never regarded by the IBT about private ownership and advertising, the malicious scripts and banning were never publicly addressed by WBCCI or the communications chairman, and moderation issues are always common in social networks. To say that, now, all of a sudden, the WBCCI forums closed because of these issues is not barking up the right tree at all. You can have had it to take some shots and feel some glee if you are so orientated, but to be honest, these issues are NOT the reason WBCCI closed the forums. See again Leo's reference to the IP's comments about forum communications and its value in his opinion from the Ocober Blue Beret. Think back a few short weeks ago when the private and controversial side of the forum was closed to members as in past occurances when the IBT decides to clean house by getting rid of its "baggage." Reflect upon the tight reigns the IBT has always endeavored to hold and control on the the WBCCI's public image and unified "word" from the top. Here again the members forums has been withdrawn by the leadership that didn't even participate. The issues involved are far greater than any particular slants or slights against individuals. Membership again has been scattered in but another victory for strict governance and the unrepresented membership is left to deal with mandates from the top. Communication between the leadership and the membership has always been atop the lists for reform and moving ahead and growing the club. Again they have closed up shop, another blow to speaking out against established traditions and another notch for keeping the status quo and hand selecting persons and interests with which to proceed without representation of the members.

photography
Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I logged on and it does look the same and my log in and password are unchanged and I think a notification e-mail to members was appropriate from the webmaster. Just because the WBCCI pulled the cord why would the forum have to dissolve? Does "we" mean the WBCCI IBT who has controlled the decisions, WBCCI members who had joined the forums, or the WBCCI members and non-members that are registered to use the site? Critical content was never the venue formerly so whether it is preserved or purged doesn't matter as much as the issue to dissolution or preservation.
My use of "WE" in this case was meaning WBCCI members.
The forum I joined supposed to be a wbcci sponsored forum, which happened to be located on some one other person's server.
While the forum failed miserably in a number of ways the issue I see here is that since the wbcci is no longer involved if the forum is going to be reincarnated the proper procedure would be to re register any one wanting to participate. Not to continue on as business as usual.
It really doesn't matter I guess as I have no intentions of participating there anyway.

I sure do miss save wally though.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I sure do miss save wally though.
Me too!

photography
Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #68
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I am pretty sure (I am only speculating here) that what happened was that the relationship deteriorated between Gibson and WBCCI or perhaps Charlie Burke directly. I do not know too many people who have had dealings with Mr. Gibson that were cordial and pleasant.
I am betting that Charlie had a situation with Gibson that could not be resolved by any other means than to resign....
Out of curiosity, who are the moderators there now????
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
This is the content of the Email I received today Informing me of the WBCCI Forums disposition! To me it says the former WBCCI Forums is now on the originators website and that the EC7 has concluded that any forum brings no value to them so they no longer need a communications chair! Read into it what you like!

WAM
Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #70
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I am betting that the EC7 shut it down not because they didn't want it, but rather because the situation with the forums owner became so unmanageable that there was no other option. But Like I said, I do not ever expect to know the whole story....

Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, post edit, vintage-airstream.com