Old 04-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master
WBCCI, Why you left or did not join?

Since I'm part of the WBCCI "Leadership" (WDCU Prez) I have a quick question.

If you were a member of the WBCCI, Why did you leave??

If you are an Airstream owner and not a member of the WBCCI,
Why did you "not" join??

To let you know, I plan to copy your responses and forward them to a member of the WBCCI IBT. I think there are many that would love to join if the club meet more of there needs. And this is one of the reasons why the WBCCI is shrinking in numbers. So, Why did ya??

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I have not joined due to the fact I am not sure it is for me I am employed working 40 + and dont get to use my camper very much just a few times a year mostly local (100 miles ) or so for just a long weekend also dont know to much about it I however am a life member of Good Sams and have been for 10 or so years I do most of my adventures through the eyes of others in there stories.. Maybe one day....

Your Friend Sam In (Southport) Panama City Florida

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
. , .
it may be a 'quick question' but it isn't new...

while not exactly the same question,

many of the comments herein are close to the matter.

include yours...

and a few polls....

just a few places with pro/con remotely similar threads and posts...

enjoy the reading...

and it just occured 2 me...

the airforums has

the largest collection of a/s folks...

the largest collection of a/s photos..

the largest collection of a/s repairs...

the largest collection of a/s activities....

the largest collection of comments on the wbc'

and what's the wbc' got?

the largest collection of officers
who dislike airforums content.
we are...
'just a bunch of malcontents'
as i recall...
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I quit because I didn't feel the annual expense was worthwhile for the average one local unit activity a year I found time for. I found little or no entertainment value in the Blue Beret (not like Airstream Life).

The international came to our neighborhood last year and I was unable to find out what would be going on when. I was unable to just show up for a weekend, either you registered for the whole thing or nothing, which was impossible because of work. And then the Open House was held on a weekday during the day when everyone who might have wanted to visit was guarenteed to be at work! Talk about a snub to the working folks in the club!

Basically I just wasn't getting my money's worth. Then all that name change hoo-ha came along and I got tired of the politics. Now with this motorhome thing - ugh. Might as well just go join some generic RV club if my little vintage silver trailer is going to be towered over by those big white-box motorhomes anyway!

However,even after all that, I am considering rejoining just so I can join the VAC. They do have a good magazine, though I wished it came out more often. And they have rallys that are worth driving across the country for.

In the NW we have a very active community of forum members and we regularly have low-key fun rallys. No rules, no schedules to keep, no dues to pay, just new and old friends getting together for a potluck and to sit around the campfire. Those rallys are so much fun I do everything I can not to miss them, and they don't even cost me $70 a year to participate. I don't know how the WBCCI can compete.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
I'm still in the WBCCI but I am not so sure I will continue if this silly amendment passes.
Jan and Al
Sophia and Emilee, the Pugs
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I was all set to join right after I bought my trailer. Then I found that it was going to take some work to get it roadworthy again, and put off joining until then.

Meanwhile, my grandpa who is 81 and has been a WBCCI member for many years (although he's down to only one Airstream at the moment.. ) started grumbling that it wasn't worth the money anymore and that he might quit.

He gave me one of his newer Blue Beret magazines and I have to say it is really lame. Airstream Life is way better.

And then is see the tons of turmoil and the unhappiness with the guys at the top of the club.

So for me, I'm waiting until I get the trailer back on the road. By then the dust should have settled from all the motorhome stuff. I think by then it'll either be really clear that the club is going to go all Airstream or open it up. I'll decide then.

Seriously though, the Tin Can Tourists look like a fun bunch too. Personally, I like all the old silver trailers. A club for all of them would appeal to me. I just like aluminum

I would like to add though that Paul did graciously invite me to attend their DC spring rally, even though my trailer isn't roadworthy. He told me to come on down and meet the folks. I wasn't able to make it, but I think it was very nice of him to offer and I really wish I could have gone.

So, it seems to me that it's probably just like with most other big organizations. They may be totally screwed up at the top level, but you get down to the local one and they're a bunch of great people.

I'm keeping an open mind and will make a decision next year when the Monster is ready for the road. I'd like to join the VAC and probably will do it unless it all just goes to pot this summer.

- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I looked into joining after we purchased our A/S in July, even though the other half was not in favor. We've camped for the last 30 years in State Parks primarily as we do it to relax and enjoy outdoor activities. The thought of heavily organized activites didn't appeal to us. Went to the web site for Region 4 anyway just to check it out. The following link stopped us cold. If I could just be a VAC member that I would do, as Stephanie mentioned above.

Photo Gallery
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
"The following link stopped us cold."
What you don't want to win a prize too?

I didn't leave the WBCCI but I left my local unit. The membership committee person was actually more of a treasurers assistant asking for dues each year. Would have liked to see a program or effort for new members to be welcomed, instead I had a battle getting membership materials because I did not attend the luncheon.

It also was one of the units where the members had actively opposed the name change and then the delegate (unit president) flipflopped the vote to change the name.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .The following link stopped us cold. . ." I should think it would have stopped any of us! Where is an Airstream?????????????// Is this a Craft Club by mistake, misusing the Airstream linked title? Good Grief. We are still MAL members. Waiting to see. I know, I know. We should have taken a unit membership in order to have a vote, but we just have not. All of this seems to create a sense of inertia. Wrong, I know. Like others, we just want to go camping with folks that have fun and respect and retain the history of Wally B.
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
BIG RED NUMBERS especially if I can get my 71's original number back 21212.
Local informal rallys/ events
not kid friendly
schedule conflicts
not enough local informal rallys/ events.

The score so far is a draw for me. When and if I can spend more time on the road it will be more attractive, assuming of course that I and the WBCCI are still around.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
We are not members and probably will never be. Y'all sure find a lot of stuff to argue about. Isn't it supposed to be about Family, Friends and Camping? Not about lots of rules and entrenched leadership that refuses to change with the times? Seems to me that ya gotta change with the times (in a POSITIVE way).

FAIR DISCLOSURE: These are my own personal views and in no way are meant to represent the views of this forum, its ownership, its staff, any other person or any other organization.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
To paraphrase Michael Corleone ... "Just when I thought that I would join they push me away".

Seriously, we bought the A/S for RECREATION and FUN.

Reading all of the posts about the WBCCI and the antics of the IBT keep people like me away.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I removed my rear numbers when I was in Florida last January. A little De-natured alcohol and the glue was gone. When they replaced my front panels due to the dent I had them not put my numbers back on. I am now bald. This leaves me with the option to leave at any time. I expect to excercise that option when my renewal arrives this fall.
I joined WBCCI because I wanted to socialize with other airstreamers. I found that on the forums. I see no need for the WBCCI at this point.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I joined many years ago when I bought my old 1969 International in 1983. Since I was a pastor and my weekends were my busiest time I didn't get to attend any functions so I dropped out after a few years. Now, in retirement, my wife and I enjoy being alone in the Airstream. I guess the forty-seven years of active duty gave us enough group activities to last a while!

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote