Old 05-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #113
Rivet Master

So do

Van,

Some WBCCI units do offer those types of gatherings. Most would say the WDCU gatherings are very much like (in some cases better) a forums event. We are "very" laid back. We had bands(new and classic type music) at our events, only one rally in the same place each year (Cherry Blossom Rally), kids, old trailers, old cars, food, drink. We try to have rallys in places were there are different things to do for different types of folks. I would hope (but not holding my breath) there might be a unit out your way that has the same thoughts. Most of our members don't mind traveling to get to our rallies. Most of us will travel 2-6 hours to get to one all up and down the eastcoast. But we feel the trailers were made for traveling not sitting. I've found many units have rallies in the same 50 mile area over and over. If you don't have a unit with this thinking of being laid back and having fun, think about starting one that does. It's what we need to happen to start the changes needed to get the club back to fun and camping. The FCU did it and it sounds like their having a great time. I've started working with a few units on what can be done to get them to the point were people want to join. It's not hard, you just have rallies like you're throwing a party. Make it fun and people will come, if they come and have a good time, they will join.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #114
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Alliance , Nebraska
RE: Joining WBCCI or not?

For the first time, I've read the posts on this subject.
When I first owned a B-van, I was a green newbie, needing info on all facets of RVing, B-vans, and how to make a living while traveling. My first Rally experience was a FMCA International Rally. Great experience. I'm not bashful in asking, so many of my questions were answered. But there were no lasting connections made.
Then, a circumstances happened which introduced me to another Airstream B-van owner ..... whom I asked about WBCCI. Enthusiatically, he told me of their unit and invited me to attend their rally that weekend. I went, I enjoyed, I joined. And I'm glad! At that rally I was told, "Your first RV might be an Airstream, but for sure your second one will be an Airstream because you won't want to leave the friendships you've formed when you had your Airstream and participated in WBCCI."
I find that to be true. But like for any other organization, one cannot sit in one's RV with the door shut and expect to get anything from attending the Rally. Use common sense and extend your hand in friendship without waiting for "them" to make the first move.
Perhaps I'm an exception to the norm, but at each rally, I've found WBCCI members a warm, welcoming group of people. I've attended rallies for two different units plus a Bill Thomas Rally and Rallies for both Region 7 and Region 8 (which encompass ND, SD, MN, WI and Manitoba, NE, KS, MO, IA) and have left with good memories, new acquaintances, new information helpful to me, new sights enjoyed during the tours offered, etc. I've found the rally fees to be fair for what all is included. I only wish I could afford the time and the money to participate in some of the Caravans offered.
When different people make the plans for different events, and in different parts of the country, there's bound to be differences in the results .... that's human nature. But if one does not attend the rallies, either for a Unit or for a Region, one cannot expect to know what they are missing.
Yes, it is difficult to attend rallies when one is still working. Yes, the membership I've experienced is predominately over fifty-five, and yes, we'd like the answer to attracting younger members so that there is a mix of ages to keep the organization vibrant. Yes, it is difficult for one young family with young children to feel like they fit in with us 'elders', and, yes, sometimes it is difficult for certain 'elders' to be tolerant of those young families. But without the young ones .............................
Some units are struggling to maintain membership so they can retain their charter. For those units, the work keeps falling to the same people. These members get older each year and they get burned out. Your membership and your occasional involvement can make a difference for the organization as a whole.
Regarding the voting on name changes and Class A's by Thor, those decisions are hot topics. We do have to remember that it is Thor who manufactures all Airstreams now ... my B has a big THOR label on the side ....
But don't let that discourage you from giving WBCCI a chance. If the decisions at the top break WBCCI apart as it is now known, there's sure to be a successor that will be very much what Wally intended the organization to be. Don't borrow trouble and hold grudges. Keep a positive attitude and all will turn out well in the end.
Again, I'm happy to be a WBCCI member and will continue to renew my membership until I can no longer attend an occasional rally here and there. I hope all Airstream owners will give additional thought to the potential benefits of joining.
Metch

Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I joined and will not reenlist. I can see the need for the military type structure for an event like the Capetown to Cairo adventure. I truly believe this is the type of event the structure was designed for. An event like this certainly needs this type of structure and if I were attending an event of this magnitude I would embrace it and the WBCCI.

However... the majority of Airstreamers tend to gravitate to a different camp...one that is quite the opposite. These are the folks that work hard on a daily basis and play by the rules. They use their Airstream as an escape mechanism to take them to a place away from their daily routines, rules and troubles, or to a place be enjoyed with other Airstreamers at a rally, which is what forum rallies are all about.

The WBCCI has it's place, no doubt about it. Historically they have been about major adventures, which is what Wally truly loved. Maybe they need to take a close look at their target audience and work on recruitment of the adventurous.

I work for the government and deal with structure and rules on a daily basis. The last thing i want to do is carry that over into my personal life.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:54 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
As you say the WBCCI must have had it's hay day long ago and I agree the structure has not moved along with the times. It is very much a culture shock at many junctures most painfully at the top but experienced in some units too. As they are saying, it is all about the people, and it is many of those particular people that have become frozen in a time warp. Change to you or me and change to them means something completely different I suspect. The MO doesn't change much, business as usual and only the members that come and go seem to have more fiber of variance.

I think the internet has really changed community and has allowed us to widen out and progress through ideas and information at a pace they still do not comprehend nor can they see its real consequence and utility. I am glad we have this forum of Airstreamers. Instead of curling up their faces as they breathe the word bloggers with disdain they ought to be investigating and learning from the interaction that goes on here. It's a poor circumstance that some older more experienced members and leaders feel they cannot learn from younger enthusiastic ones and that only they can do things right. They thrive on their lines of achievement in the index, their badge color distinctions, their positions and contests and flags. The pomp and circumstance is a reverence, and the rules comfortable for themselves. Far too many times I have heard if people don't like these things let them leave and go elsewhere. I think the motion is an attempt to find more kindred spirits and money rather than evoke change to satisfy the members. They hear, they just choose to turn away. But it isn't their club to take with them.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
I joined and will not reenlist. I can see the need for the military type structure for an event like the Capetown to Cairo adventure. I truly believe this is the type of event the structure was designed for. An event like this certainly needs this type of structure and if I were attending an event of this magnitude I would embrace it and the WBCCI.

However... the majority of Airstreamers tend to gravitate to a different camp...one that is quite the opposite. These are the folks that work hard on a daily basis and play by the rules. They use their Airstream as an escape mechanism to take them to a place away from their daily routines, rules and troubles, or to a place be enjoyed with other Airstreamers at a rally, which is what forum rallies are all about.

The WBCCI has it's place, no doubt about it. Historically they have been about major adventures, which is what Wally truly loved. Maybe they need to take a close look at their target audience and work on recruitment of the adventurous.

I work for the government and deal with structure and rules on a daily basis. The last thing i want to do is carry that over into my personal life.
Would you rethink letting it expire if there was a realxed fun loving Unit that was unlike anything you described?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #118
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Did not join...
A brand new trailerite to the hobby, and found a Curtis Wright trailer. After a little research I learned that Wally Byam designed the trailer in his brief partnership with Curtis Wright.

This led me to inquire about the acceptance of the Curtis
Wright trailer into the club. After some controversy, someone finally stepped in stating that the issue was voted on and is an accepted trailer in the club.

It was during this period I felt that the welcome mat was not out unless my trailer was deemed acceptable. I inquired about participating in an upcoming rally to get a better idea of the local activities. Instead of "you are welcome to join us", I was questioned, if my trailer was an airstream, and if I was a club member. Is this a requirement of participating in a rally? How are you suppose to attract new members if there are so many restrictions.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We are new to Airstream ( got it a couple of weeks ago), but have had SOB for a few years. We use the camper for specific reasons (me dog trails, Sam fishing) and not just to go camping. So we probably won't join.
I had a phone call from the local unit last night inviting me to their rally this weekend, which was a nice surprise. We are off on our shake down cruise in the other direction, so we won't go.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #120
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, I guess it's too bad that folks can't join local units without having to join the international at all.

Lynn
Old 05-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Very simple reason as to why we didn't join: we're in our 30s. Not interested in over-the-top-organized events, we just want to camp in style in our Airstream, where we want, and how we want.

I briefly entertained the notion of joining when we first purchased our A/S last year and duly checked out the Ontario Unit's website... While all the folks in the photos looked like they were having a good time, I can't imagine joining at our age (please - no offense intended). As we work full time + hours, we're only able to get away for weekends or at best a 2 week long vacation, so our leisure time is v. precious.

To each his/her own.

Cheers
Old 05-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
The reason I haven't joined is because I have this thing....it's called a JOB. As I understand it, most functions in most units are geared for retired people (which is fine, the point is that the WBCCI is for retired people).

I also wouldn't fit in demographically. I am only 51 years old (much too young) and have a 5 year old daughter and a 3 year old son.

If it still exists when I retire, I may look into it.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyeda
Did not join...
A brand new trailerite to the hobby, and found a Curtis Wright trailer. After a little research I learned that Wally Byam designed the trailer in his brief partnership with Curtis Wright.

This led me to inquire about the acceptance of the Curtis
Wright trailer into the club. After some controversy, someone finally stepped in stating that the issue was voted on and is an accepted trailer in the club.

It was during this period I felt that the welcome mat was not out unless my trailer was deemed acceptable. I inquired about participating in an upcoming rally to get a better idea of the local activities. Instead of "you are welcome to join us", I was questioned, if my trailer was an airstream, and if I was a club member. Is this a requirement of participating in a rally? How are you suppose to attract new members if there are so many restrictions.
Cliff,

First, it was nice to meet you and your wife at Newport Dunes last weekend.

Second, I don't believe you tried El Camino Real to attend a rally, if you did I will have a talk with them. I am sure that you will be welcome, especially with 47WeeWind's authority that you have a qualifying trailer.

Please PM me with the unit you asked.

SYDTR

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
The reason I haven't joined is because I have this thing....it's called a JOB. As I understand it, most functions in most units are geared for retired people (which is fine, the point is that the WBCCI is for retired people).

I also wouldn't fit in demographically. I am only 51 years old (much too young) and have a 5 year old daughter and a 3 year old son.

If it still exists when I retire, I may look into it.
I have a job also and we are only able to attend three or four unit rallies a year, showing up on Friday even though the rally may have started on Wednesday. I am a little older (60) and are unit has members from thirty something to eighty something with children as young as 6.

Not every member attends every rally.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #125
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
I have a job also and we are only able to attend three or four unit rallies a year, showing up on Friday even though the rally may have started on Wednesday. I am a little older (60) and are unit has members from thirty something to eighty something with children as young as 6.

Not every member attends every rally.

Bill
I realize that my blanket assumption of the whole organization isn't fair. If I lived near a unit with a mix of people like your unit, that would be different.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #126
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
No WBCCI in France or in Europe....
What "international "means in WBCCI if not overseas ?
Sure I'ld like to meet others Airstreams in rallies in France, in spite of we are not too many; Perry & Coline (Belrepayre campground ) in the south of France have organised that in their Airtstream campground and other A/S are from there; Not really other travel A/S. May be with the new European models , the WBCC 'll became really international with a representation on the old continent.
When this club 'll exist here, I 'll subcribe to meet other members that have the same or a different age, opinion, way of life, money, succes, standing life, etc... It's the diversity that make life and a club , interesting ;
see you soon in France.

Bruno;

My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote