Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
An interesting concept. Our car club does a ton of camping together. Many other people use vintage and muscle cars to tow their trailers and happen to be in the same campground when we are, given the typically large size of most campgrounds. We love it when we find them and we always invite them to join us if they wish - not necessarily moving their trailer unless they want to and it's not an issue with the campground, but in every other way they are welcome to join us. They are a welcome addition, we get to meet nice people with similar interests - at least in the car and camping aspect of life - and some make it a point to stay in touch, a few have become members at large. Often a birthday or anniversary is celebrated at these camp outs and there's always enough cake and coffee to go around - life is about sharing what we are fortunate to have on our table and to do so with other people who we've just met and who are full of a whole new set of experiences knowledge they may be willing to share over a campfire is a blessing. If I'm aware of an Airstream event happening within close distance to where I may happen to be you can bet I'll try to get a campsite into the same campground or as nearby as I can get. Airstream people are great folks and whether they happen to belong to an elite group or not, we have similar interests and if I'm allowed a bit of time with them it has enrichened my camping experience, and hopefully theirs as well.

Barry

Old 04-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #100

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
so a late unannounced arrival who brings a 'group dish' to the feed in illinois would be an issue?

how about someone who doesn't eat, drink or otherwise consume?

my view is that IF another a/s is anywhere near the action, they should be approached and invited, so NO ONE is 'uninvited'...
Nope that shouldn't be an issue. I also agree that we should approach and invite, and we have invited others to participate in past rallies. We've done that at Moraine View. Remember the folks in the 2 SOB's that were in our group last year? They got invited to the pot luck and the movies.

My point is that as a courtesy to the organizers of an event and if you didn't or could not register, you should check in make sure you are welcome and if there are fees associated with event that defray the expenses, you pony up and play fair. If that means paying a fee so be it. If that means contributing to the pot luck so be it. That's all I'm saying. It's not trying to exclude anyone. I just consider it to be fair to the folks who played by the rules by paying the fees and doing their part. Just because a group is outside in a public park, doesn't mean we shouldn't extend the same courtesy to them as we do to a function in a private facility. It doesn't have a thing to do with this being a Forums, WBCCI event, or just a bunch of your friends out together.

It's one thing to randomly find yourself in the middle of an event going on. It's another to know that an organized event is going on and show up unannounced and unregistered and partake of all the functions that were set up for the registered attendees. That's what I was going after in my original post. If I am going to show up at an event that has limited attendance, and I'm not part of that official attendance, I'll make darn sure that I have talked to the person running the event first to be sure I can be part of it.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #101
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
When I hosted the 4CU Rally at Dead Horse this very thing happened. A couple who had signed up and then backed out came to the rally. They parked in another area of the park (next to the group area we were in) and paid for their own camping fee. They came to the rally area and asked what they owed to cover the kitty. They gave me the money and had a great time. This is a good example of how it should work.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
We joined this year simply because we appreciate and will participate in the activities of the Four Corners Unit. Matching the Unit activities and outlook to ones own matters, IMHO.

The four corners unit looks really interesting to me. I spoke with a couple of members through e-mail, and I like their ideas. It seems less political, and I like their philosophy on camping to choose the scenery over hookups. We dry camp much more often then we camp with hookups for this same reason.

Charlie
Old 04-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I noticed on the rally listing that there's one about ten minutes from my house this July. I contacted the person and it turns out it's a buddy rally and they have invited us to come and see what they are all about. We may take them up on it, still thinking, but the invitation was immediate and much appreciated. And it's even a vintage meet.

We figure by attending we will at the very least have met some great folks, figure out what this whole WBCCI is all about (at our level anyways) and then can make a more qualified decision.

It's still in my head that if you have an Airstream, you love to camp, and you enjoy good fellowship then it could just be that a few people at the management level have simply lost touch with the reality of the club - but of course that's speculation on my part.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Barry
Old 04-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I noticed on the rally listing that there's one about ten minutes from my house this July. I contacted the person and it turns out it's a buddy rally and they have invited us to come and see what they are all about. We may take them up on it, still thinking, but the invitation was immediate and much appreciated. And it's even a vintage meet.

We figure by attending we will at the very least have met some great folks, figure out what this whole WBCCI is all about (at our level anyways) and then can make a more qualified decision.

It's still in my head that if you have an Airstream, you love to camp, and you enjoy good fellowship then it could just be that a few people at the management level have simply lost touch with the reality of the club - but of course that's speculation on my part.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Barry
Barry,

You have hit the nail on the head, hope you are able to attend, I am sure that you will have a great time.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #105
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Best Post Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Thanks bill. too many people are forming opinions of the club from what they read here. I know one or two of the National Officers, and they're regular people who love Airstreamin. They do listen to their local units and try their best to serve the club. Believe me, I couldn't afford to drive around the country doing the International business of the club.
I have found it interesting that so many people in this thread never tried WBCCI because of what they read on this forum. I love this forum for the knowledge that I've gained about the upkeep on my AS. If I recall there hasn't been an AIR rally in the San Antonio area so the forum has no additional value beyond the knowledge.

If you've ever looked through the Airstream History book....well if you do, you will see why I stay in. It's all about the history of the club and the fact that most people do not have our brand of TT.

I will be joining the 'officer' ranks not out of pride but to help save this wonderful club that has lost its direction. Camping and owning and AS is not about knitting at a parking lot. Yep...that's what most of our rallies look like. A bunch of aluminum in a RV park that is nothing but a parking lot with a gathering hall.

Again I say...what ever happened to sitting around the campfire with my dog licking everyones elbow? What about marshmellows, etc? Thus I stay to help preserve what is left of WBCCI. Give it a try and perhaps you can do the same, but don't form your opinion because of what you read on a forum.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Is there a WBCCI chapter in the Panama City Florida Area I might try to check it out....

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Here's the link to the Florida Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6
Is there a WBCCI chapter in the Panama City Florida Area I might try to check it out....

Here's the link to all of the Florida Units. I'm not sure where Panama City is but I know one of these folks could point you in the right direction. Good luck!

WBCCI.org

Mitch
Old 04-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #108
tincantom

1975 25' Tradewind
Crossville , Tennessee
Post WBCCI Unit near PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6
The nearest WBCCI Unit to Panama City, FL is the Pensacola, FL Unit. They are located just off US 29 in McDavid, FL which is north of Pensacola. The Unit maintains an Airstream only campground there on the Escambia River and hold rallies there every month. I think the rally fee is still $10.00 per person plus parking which I believe is still $9.00 per night for 3 point hookups with 30 amps.

There is also the Big Bend Unit east of you. They meet at different locations each time, but I'm not sure how regular their rallies are.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #109
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Been there, done that

I was a WBCCI member for a year in 1988. A rally felt like a military encampment to me complete with uniforms, badges, officers, and a mess tent. They spent a lot of time bickering about allowing "Squarestreams" into the club at that time. I notice the disagreement continuing almost 20 years later.
I never could understand why WBCCI Rallys would be planned in the summer months at locations that can reach 100 plus degrees. Personally, I head up in the mountians when the weather gets hot. Natures AC suits me. Should be hotter than normal this 4th of July in Georgia, what with global warming plus the heated debate going on.
Me? I'm glad I'll be on a California beach enjoying a car show. Maybe there will be be a few vintage Airstreams there, too.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad John
I was a WBCCI member for a year in 1988. A rally felt like a military encampment to me complete with uniforms, badges, officers, and a mess tent. They spent a lot of time bickering about allowing "Squarestreams" into the club at that time. I notice the disagreement continuing almost 20 years later.
I never could understand why WBCCI Rallys would be planned in the summer months at locations that can reach 100 plus degrees. Personally, I head up in the mountians when the weather gets hot. Natures AC suits me. Should be hotter than normal this 4th of July in Georgia, what with global warming plus the heated debate going on.
Me? I'm glad I'll be on a California beach enjoying a car show. Maybe there will be be a few vintage Airstreams there, too.
Big Bad John
You might like to look at the new Four corner unit.(FCU,4CU)Four Corners Airstream Camping Unit I am 1989 squarestream owner and have joined this unit and my first time in WBCCI.FCU is about camping and fun
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #111
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Texas Pete,

I like your attitude and hope you make head way. I have stayed out of WBCCI until this year, but finally joined. My reason was simple. I respect the heritage of the club and feel it is almost as valuable as the trailers themselves. But I feel the club has lost a common vision and suffered from a change in their demographic base. To this point the leaders have not identified the real reason of the decline in membership. Interestingly at the same time Airstreams are more popular today then ever.

I agree with you, it is much better to try to save the institution then let it die. Although I am not putting in the effort you are, I found the right fit for me is to join the Washington DC unit and start to learn the ins and outs of the organization. Fortunately that unit really seems to like new people (as well as old). They have online voting and communication via email so that their members are heard.

I hope more people join so the leaders understand there is a positive way to move forward that retains the heritage. As an example, the whole motorhome issue is publicized as a way of keeping members. The truth is there is only somewhere between 10-20% of the members that actually own a motor home and many of them would never give up their Airstream Motorhome for a newer Airstream let alone a SOB. Why doesn't someone ask...what if we were able to sign up all the people that are buying the older trailers. This club could really grow and prosper.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #112
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
and what's the wbc' got?

the largest collection of officers
who dislike airforums content.
we are...
'just a bunch of malcontents'
as i recall...
lol. A malcontent in action.

For me the choice not to join was rather easy.

The focus of the club is towards activies i am not interested in.

I have no interest in going "camping" in a parking lot somewhere. I like to go to state parks. I think a lot of the rules are silly and annoying. I dont see much in the way of enticing new members or activities that would make the younger generations join up.

The forum type gatherings are perfect, the official club doesnt offer that.

former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote