Old 04-13-2007, 10:39 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
Why....Well, it went something like this....

I bought as AS and while searching the net, found the forums...got hooked...love it....support it....and will continue...I live near an AS park and saw on the forums that a rally was coming up! My AS wasn't ready yet so my wife and I drove up just to see, meet, greet and get involved ..but before going we checked the forums to see that even the day of the rally still no one had "signed up here" in the rally forum. So with low expectations, we went to see who might be there, after all no one had signed up! Upon arriving there were some 30 AS and an SOB or two. Now we are ok she is 30's and we have young children and are used to campgrounds busy with kids meeting kids riding bikes etc as we had been campers prior to being streamers. There wer no young folks, I mentioned to our polite guide around the office area that no one had signed up on the internet, and they had no idea what I was talking about. Now, i'm not age discriminate as i too plan on being elderly at some point, but I wasn't interested in what was going on with the group there. I WAS offered a WBCCI application from several years ago, "it was waht the president had inherited" which told me a little something, and in the end felt more like an invader than a guest. When i got home...I had figured out that the forums, and WBCCI were different groups and since AIR had been a warmer, friendlier over the internet than the other had in person....well I'm going to my first forums rally next weekend......and CAN NOT WAIT!!!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #72
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Simple answer.

We were WBCCI members for a year but found no advantage. The Blue Beret didn't deliver anything of value and rallies are not our style.

We are 30-something and childfree and don't really enjoy group activities.
We like to camp alone in the boonies and not in campgrounds.

The VAC is cool and has alot to offer in the way of knowledge sharing and a few rallies we plan to attend to learn more about the camper and check out other people's rigs. AIR forum is the best!

While I can appreciate the vision of Wally Byam and certainly respect older folks , I am not interested in being a part of a club catering to their tastes and camping styles. Different strokes.

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #73

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I know I pushed to have every rally open as a buddy rally. You just can't open the door once a year and expect the wannabe's are going to be able to make that single event.

Unfortunately that didn't happen. I'm not sure but there may be some issue with the bylaws or something that you can't do this.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Answer

I did not join for a couple of reason, the first being the turmoil within WBCCI and not wanting to have to choose sides. The second is the cost.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
WBCCI members can invite Airstream owners to rallys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Not sure how that faux pas happened -- somebody goofed. I can understand the frustration but for non-members, those not willing to cough up the $70 up front to join just because they own an AS, each unit has Buddy Rallies. Those rallies are for any and all to come out and kick the tires of the club, AS or not.

If you look at any type of club anywhere they don't typically allow all of their meetings to be open to anyone -- hence club -- hence membership. Rallies are in fact club meetings -- because it's a camping club -- we just happen to have better meetings than those stuck indoors sitting in a meeting room.

There is (should) be a lot more effort on members at buddy rallies. Meet the new folks, take them around, a lot of explaining, lots of introductions, and good times to boot. Making sure the guests are having a great time. Personally I wouldn't want to go through that every meeting -- that's work.

Having member only functions is more than reasonable, far more laid back, far more about catching up and just having fun. Membership does have its privileges!

Hang in there -- find out when the buddy rally is -- go out and kick the tires. If you don't have a great time at that one, try another unit. There is some match making to be done in the process -- hopefully your first one fits like a glove...

__
There is no need to wait for buddy rallys. WBCCI members can invite non WBCCI Airstream owners to attend *any* Unit rally. It's in the Blue Book, in various places. See:

WBCCI Blue Book / Bylaws and Policy - Page 8:

Sec. 8 Bylaws: A unit member may invite a non-member Airstream recreational vehicle owner, as a prospective member, to attend rallies and other activities of the unit.

WBCCI Blue Book / Bylaws and Policy - Appendix #14, Page 2

Recruitment section, item 3:

Members of each Unit should make an effort to invite non-members as guests to Unit functions, as in rallies, so they experience the good fun and fellowship of our membership.

Buddy Rallys are for non-Airstream owning friends or other RV clubs (Like Good Sams). Also outlined in the Blue Book.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Hey! That's some find! It's amazing what you can find in 74 pages of bylaws I guess! In that case I suggest that Pacerized point that out to whomever invited them to that rally! Great find -- karma your way!!

__
The NEU takes full advantage of this "right" as outlined in the Bylaws. We use it as a "try before you buy" program. About 90% of non-WBCCI Airstream owners who have attended an event or function as a guest of the NEU has joined the club.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #77

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
There is no need to wait for buddy rallys. WBCCI members can invite non WBCCI Airstream owners to attend *any* Unit rally. It's in the Blue Book, in various places. Members of each Unit should make an effort to invite non-members as guests to Unit functions, as in rallies, so they experience the good fun and fellowship of our membership.

Buddy Rallys are for non-Airstream owning friends or other RV clubs (Like Good Sams). Also outlined in the Blue Book.
Well that's good to know. You would have thought that when I brought up the idea at the unit level, this would have been pointed out to me. Obviously our unit wasn't taking advantage of this.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
I owen a 1989 Squarestream and they where not welcome in the WBCCI back when they where made.So I have felt that we might still not be welcome at a rally.A few weeks ago we went to the new FCU rally in Tucson,found out that infact we where welcome by a very nice group that is made up of all new members to this unit.I now have paid my due to both the WBCCI and the FCU and look forward to more rallies(camping)with them.So if more units like the FCU had real open doors it might bring in the new,the dissatisfied and any others that have felt left out by the WBCCI.I hope that all the WBCCI politics does not join this unit.

Jimmini

The Squarestreamer

You laugh at us because we are differant,We laugh at you because your all the same.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Burt:
Thanks for checking on the club regulation about non-members. I don't know how that applies, but I was just told by a member that I could attend one rally just to check it out before deciding to join. This rally was very local for us to do just that, and I was encouraged to send registration fee before it sold out. I wasn't really sponsored by a member to attend. The event sold out, and had non members on the waiting list, and I was told that it wouldn't be fair to have a non member attend with members on the waiting list although I was ahead of them. I did question this but was told that the planning committee had set the rules, and is standing firm. At this point I've already had my check returned, and honestly we're a little offended by it. Even if I could dispute things based on a club rule it wouldn't exactly make us feel wanted at the event.
65GT: I also understand your point of view that a club membership has it's privileges, but part of the subject of this thread was why haven't you joined. If new members are wanted a club shouldn't put obstacles in their path like members only functions. I have 2 kids, and both my wife, and I work full time. This would probably have been the only rally we could have attended this year. We have to plan our get away time with the family. We really didn't know if the club thing was for us, but we were interested. At least for us the club policies have answered the question as to why we haven't joined.
Charlie
Old 04-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Could you tell me if the same club rules apply to a VAC event? From what I understand you have to be a member of the WBCII in order to be a VAC member, but I'm not sure if they are a separate club, or more like a unit of the WBCII. Thanks for the advise.
Charlie
Old 04-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #81
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The VAC (I am a member) is an Intraclub of the WBCCI. To join the VAC you need to be a member of the WBCCI first.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sometimes there are other circumstances as to why a non-member may not be able to attend a particular rally. Some may have a limited number of spaces and be sold out with a waiting list. Those can be designated as "members only" rallies...would it really be fair to allow a non-member to attend these rallies when members are being turned away or on the waiting list?

I'm sure, this is not the case for every rally in a particular area...but sometimes for a particular rally there are limitations put in place. As Leo said, sometimes "Membership does have its privileges!"

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The VAC is an IntraClub of the WBCCI. You must be a member of the WBCCI to be a member of the Intra Club or "sub-club". The VAC is broken down into Regions (same as WBCCI) and multiple Unit members participate in each Region. Most Regions host a premier VAC "region" rally once a year and smaller groups of "local" folks meet at every rally within their Unit's scheduled events. As a member of the IntraClub anybody can attend any Region's Rally...provided it is not sold out.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #84
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Danbury , Connecticut
I've read some of the postings and truly feel some have missed an opportunity to meet with some fine folks. If you sample a local club and feel there won't be a fit see if there is another that may be. All peole are different.
Once you settle into a club and feel it could do things a bit different, step up and flex your wings, don't stand on the sidelines and complain. New ideas for rallies/meetings are always welcomed. Do people get stale, sure they do. That's why new people are always a clubs biggest asset.

If a club isn't growing you know which way it's headed. But new people/ideas can make a dramatic difference. Jump in, get wet, start swimming and you'll be surprised at how many will follow you. Everyone is there to enjoy each others company. You CAN make a difference if you just get off the sidelines.

Right now there is some turmoil what with the name change motion and the MH issue but this to will pass.