Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #81
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The VAC (I am a member) is an Intraclub of the WBCCI. To join the VAC you need to be a member of the WBCCI first.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sometimes there are other circumstances as to why a non-member may not be able to attend a particular rally. Some may have a limited number of spaces and be sold out with a waiting list. Those can be designated as "members only" rallies...would it really be fair to allow a non-member to attend these rallies when members are being turned away or on the waiting list?

I'm sure, this is not the case for every rally in a particular area...but sometimes for a particular rally there are limitations put in place. As Leo said, sometimes "Membership does have its privileges!"

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:07 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The VAC is an IntraClub of the WBCCI. You must be a member of the WBCCI to be a member of the Intra Club or "sub-club". The VAC is broken down into Regions (same as WBCCI) and multiple Unit members participate in each Region. Most Regions host a premier VAC "region" rally once a year and smaller groups of "local" folks meet at every rally within their Unit's scheduled events. As a member of the IntraClub anybody can attend any Region's Rally...provided it is not sold out.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #84
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Danbury , Connecticut
I've read some of the postings and truly feel some have missed an opportunity to meet with some fine folks. If you sample a local club and feel there won't be a fit see if there is another that may be. All peole are different.
Once you settle into a club and feel it could do things a bit different, step up and flex your wings, don't stand on the sidelines and complain. New ideas for rallies/meetings are always welcomed. Do people get stale, sure they do. That's why new people are always a clubs biggest asset.

If a club isn't growing you know which way it's headed. But new people/ideas can make a dramatic difference. Jump in, get wet, start swimming and you'll be surprised at how many will follow you. Everyone is there to enjoy each others company. You CAN make a difference if you just get off the sidelines.

Right now there is some turmoil what with the name change motion and the MH issue but this to will pass.
charliejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized
65GT: I also understand your point of view that a club membership has it's privileges, but part of the subject of this thread was why haven't you joined. If new members are wanted a club shouldn't put obstacles in their path like members only functions. I have 2 kids, and both my wife, and I work full time. This would probably have been the only rally we could have attended this year. We have to plan our get away time with the family. We really didn't know if the club thing was for us, but we were interested. At least for us the club policies have answered the question as to why we haven't joined. Charlie
I'll put Charlie's [Pacerized] comments in context so people can understand the reason for limiting attendance of this particular rally to WBCCI and VAC members. The rally is the VAC's 7th Annual Rocky Mt. Rally in Breckenridge, CO. this coming August. Our Rally website went online on January 15, 2007 (see WBCCI Forum -) and we were fully subscribed (all 70 spaces were paid for by WBCCI & VAC members) only 9 weeks later, by March 26, 2007. We then began putting WBCCI & VAC members on a Waiting List in case a registrant cancelled and a space became available. Nine winter weeks is the fastest time in which our Rocky Mt. Rally has ever sold out, which even caught us by pleasant surprise.

The Rocky Mt. Rally is one of the premier VAC rallies in the country, and we have sold out of spaces for the past few years. We limit attendance to WBCCI and VAC members to make this popular rally available to as many VAC members as possible, so they get some additional benefit from their annual dues. Members support the VAC the VAC rewards its members.

Some of the things we believe make this VAC Rally popular is the amount of information about it readily available online (general, schedule of events, list of attendees, registration, things to do in the area, etc.) as well as our program of events amid a casual atmosphere. Take a look at 2007 VAC Rally Information and let us know what you think of our approach.

Notwithstanding his disappointment, because he lives only 6 miles away, I would strongly encourage Charlie to bring his family to visit us and see what a VAC Rally is all about and whether it has any appeal to him. Our vintage trailer open house is from 1:00 p.m to 4:00.m. on Saturday afternoon, July 27th. If he cannot visit during our open house due to other commitments, please stop by some other time and please introduce yourself to me or any other planning committeee member. Depending on our personal obligations at the time of your vist, we'll be glad to show you around and explain our approch to having fun with tubular aluminum.

So yes, Virginia, there are some good points about the WBCCI, and we believe the VAC's Rocky Mountain Rally is one of the brighter ones.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I was trying my best not to indicate the specific rally, or club unit. That being said I am still curious if the WBCCI non-member rule brought up by myboyburt, and 65GT apply.

Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #87
_

. , .
hi pacerized...

had a feeling that the rally in your post...

was this one.

and appricate your NOT naming names.

yes it is full now and yes they have a waiting list...

but the sign up info has indicated from DAY ONE

that registration required membership..

in BOTH the wbc and vac...

which is imo a twisted interpretation of the book rules...

the park is big and still has openings for ANYONE

so IF you really wanna go...

just go camping that weekend...

NO membership required

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Thanks for checking. I was really just curious since the rule was brought up, and I wouldn't have forced this issue after being bumped. Had I not been told upfront that I could attend I wouldn't have attempted. The subject matter of rules, and club politics has moved away from the reason we bought the airstream, and were interested in checking out a rally. Thanks for looking though.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #89

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi pacerized...

so IF you really wanna go...

just go camping that weekend...

NO membership required

cheers
2air'
I would think however that if you do this, that you only participate in those events open to the general public. I'm sure that in some cases there are fees paid by the registered participants that go beyond the cost of the site only. To me it would be a little uncomfortable if I saw unregistered folks being there at no cost when the participants paid a higher fee to be officially part of the event.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #90
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
...To me it would be a little uncomfortable if I saw unregistered folks being there at no cost when the participants paid a higher fee to be officially part of the event.Jack
well that is clearly one line of thought...

and the campground only has 250+ sites.
during peak summer tourist season.
with sites for SALE...
so what are the chances of another a/s camping anywhere near...
Tiger Run Resort - Best Camping in Colorado! Home Page

oh wait it looks like the perfect place for an ibt/moho event...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #91

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
well that is clearly one line of thought...

and the campground only has 250+ sites.
during peak summer tourist season.
with sites for SALE...
so what are the chances of another a/s camping anywhere near...
Tiger Run Resort - Best Camping in Colorado! Home Page

cheers
2air'
I'm not advocating that if you have an Airstream and you are unregistered you should stay away from the park. I'm only noting that in my view its tad amount to inviting yourself to your neighbors back yard party because you live next door. No different from a Moraine View rally if the other campers not part of our group dropped in at our pot luck uninvited. I don't believe we would be too happy about that. It's just a matter of common courtesy.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #92
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
No different from a Moraine View rally if the other campers not part of our group dropped in at our pot luck uninvited. I don't believe we would be too happy about that. It's just a matter of common courtesy.Jack
so a late unannounced arrival who brings a 'group dish' to the feed in illinois would be an issue?

how about someone who doesn't eat, drink or otherwise consume?

my view is that IF another a/s is anywhere near the action, they should be approached and invited, so NO ONE is 'uninvited'...

a group of us rallying in oregon last year,

made a point of finding and inviting the random a/s in the same park.

we made some great new friends this way and shared *sustenance.

so, i agree it's just a matter of common courtesy and personal gain...

cheers
2air'

*1297, "means of living, subsistence, livelihood," from O.Fr. sustenance (Fr. soutenance), from L.L. sustinentia "endurance," from L. sustinens, prp. of sustinere (see sustain). Meaning "action of sustaining life by food" is from c.1386. Sense of "nourishment" is recorded from c.1489.

-a source of materials to nourish the body or sole...

-the act of sustaining life by food or providing a means of subsistence; "they were in want of sustenance";

-by offerring to others we gain sustenance...

Old 04-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
This thread is propogated from a desire to find out why people are not joining. We have a example of an interested person's experience. Is it any wonder why people are not joining? This is their spotlight so please back away from the formerly interested prospective member. Unless of course you would like to be welcoming.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #94
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
VERY WELL stated Carol. Karma to you.

JIM

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #95
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
If you were a member of the WBCCI, Why did you leave??

or

If you are an Airstream owner and not a member of the WBCCI,
Why did you "not" join??
agreed wheel', but the solicitation is related to 2 segments, leavers and non joiners....

and the notion of feeling "welcome" is common to both...

along with dollar value, perception of rules, local unit characteristics and so on...

perhaps post #72 and on, should be spun off into another thread...

something like "who can attend rallies and who cannot?"

oh wait, we've been there before...

as an officer i'm sure rideair

is capable of finding the bits of useful info...

cheers
2air'

Old 04-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Yellville , Arkansas
Neither my wife nor I are "joiners". We prefer to go, do, and stop as opportunities present themselves and the mood strikes us. Even if we were interested, the internal politics would be a real "show stopper".
GeraldVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
We joined this year simply because we appreciate and will participate in the activities of the Four Corners Unit. Matching the Unit activities and outlook to ones own matters, IMHO.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
2Air it looks like we posted at the same time, both having hospitality on our minds.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
An interesting concept. Our car club does a ton of camping together. Many other people use vintage and muscle cars to tow their trailers and happen to be in the same campground when we are, given the typically large size of most campgrounds. We love it when we find them and we always invite them to join us if they wish - not necessarily moving their trailer unless they want to and it's not an issue with the campground, but in every other way they are welcome to join us. They are a welcome addition, we get to meet nice people with similar interests - at least in the car and camping aspect of life - and some make it a point to stay in touch, a few have become members at large. Often a birthday or anniversary is celebrated at these camp outs and there's always enough cake and coffee to go around - life is about sharing what we are fortunate to have on our table and to do so with other people who we've just met and who are full of a whole new set of experiences knowledge they may be willing to share over a campfire is a blessing. If I'm aware of an Airstream event happening within close distance to where I may happen to be you can bet I'll try to get a campsite into the same campground or as nearby as I can get. Airstream people are great folks and whether they happen to belong to an elite group or not, we have similar interests and if I'm allowed a bit of time with them it has enrichened my camping experience, and hopefully theirs as well.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #100

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
so a late unannounced arrival who brings a 'group dish' to the feed in illinois would be an issue?

how about someone who doesn't eat, drink or otherwise consume?

my view is that IF another a/s is anywhere near the action, they should be approached and invited, so NO ONE is 'uninvited'...
Nope that shouldn't be an issue. I also agree that we should approach and invite, and we have invited others to participate in past rallies. We've done that at Moraine View. Remember the folks in the 2 SOB's that were in our group last year? They got invited to the pot luck and the movies.

My point is that as a courtesy to the organizers of an event and if you didn't or could not register, you should check in make sure you are welcome and if there are fees associated with event that defray the expenses, you pony up and play fair. If that means paying a fee so be it. If that means contributing to the pot luck so be it. That's all I'm saying. It's not trying to exclude anyone. I just consider it to be fair to the folks who played by the rules by paying the fees and doing their part. Just because a group is outside in a public park, doesn't mean we shouldn't extend the same courtesy to them as we do to a function in a private facility. It doesn't have a thing to do with this being a Forums, WBCCI event, or just a bunch of your friends out together.

It's one thing to randomly find yourself in the middle of an event going on. It's another to know that an organized event is going on and show up unannounced and unregistered and partake of all the functions that were set up for the registered attendees. That's what I was going after in my original post. If I am going to show up at an event that has limited attendance, and I'm not part of that official attendance, I'll make darn sure that I have talked to the person running the event first to be sure I can be part of it.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15