Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Its been said many times already, but I thought I would chime in with my comments.
We donít need a club to enjoy our AS. We bought for a lot of reasons, some practical and some from the heart. Camping with friends (some have Streams, some donít) is what we wanted. Meeting new people while walking through a campground, as opposed to being holed up in a hotel, is an added bonus. We debated long and hard before deciding to attending the Can Opener, mostly because we were afraid of what it might be (too organized and stiff). As we continued to read the posts, it became evident these were people we would enjoy. Why? Because they wanted to camp and have a good time. There were young ones, old ones, old ones that felt young and everything in between. And all brought together by one man (Devoman) asking ďHey, anyone want to come to Florida in January?Ē. He worked hard but I think (and hope) he enjoyed it. A great time was had by all and not one meeting and no rules (no flag police) except to have fun. Beautiful campground. Iím already booked for next year and the 2008 thread hasnít even started.

Will we join the WBCCI? There are several answers. (1) Not unless it can provide us more than what this Forum provides. (2) Yes, if they re-direct the club to serve what I suspect is a much younger average aged member (or prospective member) than it was only a few years ago. (3) Not if they allow other brands into the club, regardless of the reason. Come on IBT, 14 years to ascend to a position that few would want and even fewer have time for! Sounds like a way to guarantee no change at the top. Wake up and look at who is buying these vehicles; new or vintage, it is a younger crowd. The factory recognized this and came out with new floor plans and contemporary fabric choices. If you want your pomp and circumstance, please continue to enjoy it. Just donít assume that is what we want and donít exclude us if we donít.

Greg

Old 04-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Lake Tomahawk , Wisconsin
I downsized from a Motorhome to a 2006 28' Classic in Aug of 2005. Immediately joined the "Club" and paid my dues! I was spoiled by being a member of the "FMCA" (Family Motor Coaching), $35.00 a year, fantastic monthly slick magazine, all kinds of side benefits, then I got the toilet paper "Blue Beret", then bought "Airstream Life" to get quality of information. Even wrote the President of WBCCI after one of his rambling sessions "The President Speaks". His response was just as rambling!

Even though I love my AS I see absolutely no BANG for my bucks in the Club or Airstream Life. One year membership was enough after spending in excess of $139.00 for both. I have elected to this day to still be a member of FMCA, I see it as a tremendous value in benefits, magazine and over all quality of RV information!

To sum it all up, economically WBCCI, Blue Beret and Airstream Life are just NOT WORTH the VALUE GIVEN FOR VALUE RECEIVED!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Solicited Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Paul's original question was intended for those of us that ARE NOT members. Let's please limit the responses to NON-MEMBERS of the WBCCI. Those of you that ARE members, I can move your comments to another new thread, if you wish. But please, I believe Paul wanted to know why those of us that haven't joined to date chose not to do so.

Jim
While I have read some of the threads pertaining to the internal conflicts in the WBCCI, not being a member, Iíve stayed out of the fray. But, since youíre looking for input Iíll give you my humble opinion.
The reason Iíve been a "camper" for most of my 50 plus years is the desire to get away from all the structure in modern life for a few days. Possibly see something new, sit and read in peace and quiet, and, maybe destroy a few brain cells with a couple of cold ones while staring into warm fire on chilly night. If I can get out 4 to 5 times a season itís a good year.
Iím sure this comment falls in the "Keen Eye for the Obvious" category for anyone who is on the Forum and reading this.
When I first got the Globetrotter 6 or 7 years ago I discovered the WBCCI, and was surprised to find that you needed a full membership in the main group to join the VAC. Seemed peculiar so I let it pass. Then in a year or so found the Forum, which has more than fulfilled any need for insight and information.
The Forum Rallys are wonderfully spontaneous and informal. Jack has done a tremendous job putting together the big Midwest Rally and at 30 some odd units is still close enough to camping for my taste.
Now, if what I have heard and read about the Byam rallys are true, then they are the antithesis of what I believe camping should be. Berets, flag ceremonies and protocols are not part of my camping experience.
If they are not accurate representations of a WBCCI get-together then your leadership should be chastised for the lack of positive PR and the loss of membership on those grounds alone.
Please donít think this is my impression of the general membership of the WBCCI. Members I have met at the Forum rallys all seem to have more concern for being on the road and out in the open than they do for the politics of the situation.
If a new owner of an Airstream searches the Net the WBCCI isnít in the magic top ten. Just the VAC and a line of text. I would imagine that most of what a new owner of an Airstream knows about the WBCCI is what they have already read about on THIS Forum. Once again, poor PR.
I may entertain the idea of joining when I retire. From the outside, however, what the club will look and function like in 10 years would be purely conjecture.
For now, and years to come, The Forum will be the prime connection to the Airstream community.
Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Now, Unsolicitited Opinion

A Plymouth Voyager was a re-badged Dodge Caravan. Same vehicle, different plants.
When Volkswagen needed a small pick up for the European market they built Toyota trucks under license in a SEAT plant in Spain and put VW emblems on the front and back. Nobody ever would have thought this was a Volkswagen.
IMHO Slapping an Airstream graphic on the side of a big square fiberglass box and proclaiming it an AIRSTREAM is the same as a calling a Toyota a Volkswagen.
Trying to convince the fan base that a fiberglass box should be accepted at the same level as an aerodynamic aluminum tube not only insults the intelligence of the of the audience but, more-so, that of the group trying to do the convincing.
I hope that this issue doesnít tear the WBCCI apart any more it already appears to have. Bailing out before you have a chance to beat these proposals will only make your position weaker.
Vote with your words and your deeds, not with your feet.
Respectfully, Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #61
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Reasons we have not joined the WBCCI

I think our main reasons have been well articulated by others, I really enjoyed Randi's (redeagle 313) response in post 55.

Basically we have a young child, we like forum rallies and the forum itself, Airstream Life, and feel no need to join the WBCCI. I have been so impressed with the midwest forum rally and the Metro Detroit LPPI rally, both rallies were so welcoming and fun for our family. I don't get that feeling from the WBCCI threads I read. Different strokes for different folks right? I also like being out in nature and have never been really a club person.

I wish the WBCCI folks all the best.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
We were members a few years back and after a year of receiving the Blue Beret, decided we were not yet ready for the "retired" club. In our early 50's we felt really really young each month when the Beret showed up and we paged through it. Not our cup of tea - yet. I've noticed some Air #'s after people sign off (along with some WBCCI #'s). How do you get an AIR #?? If it is a forum # - that would be more to our liking!
George
Old 04-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #63
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebb
We were members a few years back and after a year of receiving the Blue Beret, decided we were not yet ready for the "retired" club. In our early 50's we felt really really young each month when the Beret showed up and we paged through it. Not our cup of tea - yet. I've noticed some Air #'s after people sign off (along with some WBCCI #'s). How do you get an AIR #?? If it is a forum # - that would be more to our liking!
George

Hi George,your Air/Forum# is 7906.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
We are not what you would consider joiners of formal clubs. We see the WBCCI as being very much formal and that's just not our bag. The AirForum has been a great way for us to communicate and meet with folks with the same passion for Airstream trailers without having the issues the come with the big bulky club managed by someone far away I will likely never meet.l

Barry & Donna
Hello everyone; Perhaps if someone like me, who never has been a member of any organization and one who would like to do so, asks you to consider my two cents which may expose another view. I have a 26' Argosy, and it is not because I could not afford a shiny Airstream if I wanted to. My draw to Argosy was the front window and the fact that it was painted. The later one, was a decision based on lack of time to keep it shiny. Is the Argosy not a Airstream?

I consider myself a reasonably educated person with two engineering degrees, but most of all, very well educated in life's Golden Rule. I am also the one who dislikes shady politics, but one who as well realizes that politics are necessary but in appropriate time and place.

Reading about all the in fighting which goes on I would be very hesitant to expose my wife to such bickering and rulings. If members of Wally's Club choose to allow only Airstreams into the Club, then why allow any SOB MOHO's into the club. I feel that originators of the club have the right to grandfather their rules. If they chosen to keep Argosy out of the club, it does not give me the right to gripe about it. It is your club and you can do as you like. But let's face it, those people joined the club most likely because they wanted to be with other Airstreamers, not Wildcats. Do they have no right to choose club's destiny? If SOB's want to belong to the club, they can start their own durn club, and leave Airstreamers alone.

Let's look at what may keep someone like me from joining the Club. If the Argosy's were not permitted at one or another time, there had to be a reason. Whatever that reason was, it was your business and I am fine with that. Was it because Argosy's degraded the Airstreamers? What was the real reason, and does that past reason still lurks among some members? If so, I would not join the Club for the fear of being singled out by some.

Now lets look at the rules at Rallies. I have lived eight years by the rules at the Academy and six as a Navy Pilot. Obviously those rules were basic necessities for my own survival. My unfortunate disability from the occupational hazard has since relived me of those rules. Now I live by what I have learned about the Golden Rule presented by my wonderful parents who have instill them in me.

I work at my business average 70 hour week imposing my own rules upon myself. Be nice to the customer, be honest and helpful and you will live a happy life. My lovely wife Margaret Kay, works 40 hour week and she is a great PR individual. She enjoys dealing with our customers and in return they show their dedication to our business. We only wish we could do more, but unfortunately we turn away most of new business for lack of time and help.

Being cooped up at the business all day we find the time for life, outside of business which is not discussed at home or anyway outside of business.
I like to know why would I want to accept being told, what I can and cannot do in my free time for as long as I live by the Golden Rule, while I am supposed to enjoy camp life? What does the length of a flag pole has to do with rules for enjoyment? I can see the rule for unsupervised dogs running around the campfire, but do not even try to suggest what color curtains I must have in my Argosy .

I am not much of a fan for phony political correctness, I am advocate for the truth spoken gently or harsh if necessary. Why would I want to be associated with stuffy individuals next to me, drinking a $400.00 Champagne and making a gray comments because I have open bottle of Blue Nunn. I, being sincere to myself drink what tastes good to me. No offense meant to people who have the taste for the stuff, that may taste horrible to me. After all, we have individual tastes, likes and dislikes.

So lets hear from those who want to enjoy life, and from those who deserve to keep their Club, with the rules the way they were established. It is your Club and must let your membership vote decide, because bickering will not.
I apologize if I have offended anyone and promise you that no such was intended, but I wonder what it will take for all of you to cast a sincere vote without trying to be just politically correct. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 04-10-2007, 07:12 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Hi everyone, this is my first post after my self emposed exile and under my new more enlightened idenity, Craftsman2. I think the question should be what does the WBCCI have to offer new members, especially the new generation of Airstream owners. It would seem very evident that it's not what will attract new members or even keep existing members. One defination of crazy is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result. We joined and there was just nothing there to justify the dues. Even the magazine wasn't worth opening anymore because it was just more of the same,dull, nothing exciting ,nothing to look forward to. Unless new life can be breathed back into the club it will probably continue to decline. If they want people to join just to continue with business as usual, there is probably very little hope for the club.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #66
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Welcome back Craftsman! Post away, many of us have enjoyed your tips and information in the past.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Wink

I do not belong and most likely never will. I may be off base in my perception of the WBCCI but I do not like to be manipulated by a bunch of vendors under the pretense of fellowship. I'll just stick to my Airstream, a campfire, and my faithful dog.
I realize the forum is a money making enterprise but it does a good job of providing interface between Airstream people and vendors. I enjoy the forum and it's members and it provides all the benefits associated with the WBCCI without all the (You can fill in the blanks).
Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have a life full of stress in my daily business. I used to run the political action committee of my professional association, and have to put up with the PC Police of 5000+ members on EVERYTHING that happened on both sides of the aisle concerning EVERY decision that was made.

All the contortions that well meaning people go through to "contribute" and "feel important" as a member of the groups they belong to, frankly makes my head hurt to even think about it.

I bought an Airstream because they are the ONE trailer that stays on the road for YEARS.

I bought it to "get away" from the stressful world and relax.

I don't want any meetings....I have had enough of those.
I don't want to have "organized camping" when I leave town with the trailer.
I don't want to be on any more boards.
I only want to go and do what I WANT TO DO as it suits me.
When I have encountered other Airstream owners, there has always been friendly hospitality shared, no memberships necessary or required.

I have no plans to join anything.

2airishuman said it in post #3 of this thread:

the airforums has

the largest collection of a/s folks...

the largest collection of a/s photos..

the largest collection of a/s repairs...

the largest collection of a/s activities....

and

the largest collection of comments on the wbc'

already.

and what's the wbc' got?

the largest collection of officers
who dislike airforums content.
we are...
'just a bunch of malcontents'
as i recall...

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
As I posted earlier my wife, and I were interested in the club, and had hoped to attend a rally being held in our county in July. We were looking forward to one coming so close to us. We sent in the registration fee for the rally, but after being invited to register we were told that this rally wasn't one that non members could attend. I had no idea that the club was so structured, and rigid. I think before asking why someone hasn't joined, the club needs to review how difficult it makes things for potential new members to join, or check the club out. It might help if the club actually wanted new members.
Charlie
Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Please reconsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
I have a life full of stress in my daily business. I used to run the political action committee of my professional association, and have to put up with the PC Police of 5000+ members on EVERYTHING that happened on both sides of the aisle concerning EVERY decision that was made.

All the contortions that well meaning people go through to "contribute" and "feel important" as a member of the groups they belong to, frankly makes my head hurt to even think about it.

I bought an Airstream because they are the ONE trailer that stays on the road for YEARS.

I bought it to "get away" from the stressful world and relax.

I don't want any meetings....I have had enough of those.
I don't want to have "organized camping" when I leave town with the trailer.
I don't want to be on any more boards.
I only want to go and do what I WANT TO DO as it suits me.
When I have encountered other Airstream owners, there has always been friendly hospitality shared, no memberships necessary or required.

I have no plans to join anything.

2airishuman said it in post #3 of this thread:

the airforums has

the largest collection of a/s folks...

the largest collection of a/s photos..

the largest collection of a/s repairs...

the largest collection of a/s activities....

and

the largest collection of comments on the wbc'

already.

and what's the wbc' got?

the largest collection of officers
who dislike airforums content.
we are...
'just a bunch of malcontents'
as i recall...
There *are* WBCCI units that are full of fun and adventure. Mine is one of them. Most of our members are wicked active here on the Air Forums, it's how we communicate! We also have a BLAST traveling and camping together.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote