Old 04-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
At one point in time, Argosy trailers were not allowed, I believe that the Argosys and motorhomes were admitted at the same time in 1995, but I could be wrong.

Bill
You are correct sir. After 5 years of not being allowed to join in their reindeer games I got the message and said no more. About 5 years later in '95 they decided that they would like to have my money. Too late.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We are not what you would consider joiners of formal clubs. We see the WBCCI as being very much formal and that's just not our bag. The AirForum has been a great way for us to communicate and meet with folks with the same passion for Airstream trailers without having the issues the come with the big bulky club managed by someone far away I will likely never meet.l

Barry & Donna

Old 04-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #45
Certifiable

. , .
Their silence will be deafening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorbie1
If the IBT wants ME to join this club, at least three IBT members need to come onto THIS forum and explain to the members of THIS forum why it is a good idea to allow ANY moho made by Four Winds into the WBCCI.
don't hold your breath!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #46
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
READ THIS PART FIRST: The following are my personal opinions and ARE NOT the opinions of the owners or staff of this forum.

This thread has great interest to me, personaly. The WBCCI is great organization and hopefully it will survive. Paul's original question was intended for those of us that ARE NOT members. Let's please limit the responses to NON-MEMBERS of the WBCCI. Those of you that ARE members, I can move your comments to another new thread, if you wish. But please, I believe Paul wanted to know why those of us that haven't joined to date chose not to do so.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I'm still in the process of learning about the club. We've had our airstream for a year now, and plan on attending a vac rally this summer to see what one is like, and decide if the club thing is for us. I work on average 60 hours per week, coach, have 2 young sons, and my wife works full time. We bought the airstream because of our interest. All we ever did with our free time was visit national parks, and outdoors areas for years, we just stayed in cabins, or hotels, so the airstream was a natural fit for our lifestyle. We plan our time now for these areas with the airstream, and should get a good 40 nights in her this year. Our priorities are to spend time camping in secluded areas, if the rallies or events are in areas of interest, we may be interested in joining. I like the idea of being around other airstreamers. We see very few in the campgrounds we go to. I wouldn't alter my camping interest just to attend a rally in a populated area, or resort style campground though. Days off with the family are too few for that. If we couldn't attend a rally, or only attended 1 per year, I'm not sure what else we'd find interest in.
Charlie
Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I have to include one additional piece of information about why we have not joined the WBCCI.

Over the period of time I've been on this forum on many occasions I've read posts that indicate the executive do not appear to be in touch with the membership and appear to be more concerned about appeasing Thor than the club membership. Whether this is accurate or not, it's the impression I have, and from my experiences with other international organizations tied to a specific vendor this is commonly a problem. I admit I have not actually checked to see who actually owns the WBCCI, are the executive paid to fulfill their roles or are they volunteers, and are they elected to their positions.

To their credit I have not seen (I may have missed it if it did happen) any of them respond to the negative comments I've seen of the forum. I'm not a fan of email disputes - people will too often say things in an email they regret later and leave lasting negative impressions. I'm not saying that voicing these negative comments is wrong, this is a great place to vet one's own feelings with others - I've learned a number of things about what people think is not working with the organization, and I also know that thankfully this Forum is not the official voice of the WBCCI. It makes sharing gripes and likes here okay as it's just information sharing among efriends and comparing notes before following the official communication format.

When I consider my thoughts on WBCCI though I see this large, appears to be out of touch, organization who are obviously meeting the needs of many of the members, but it's dieing a slow death with membership dropping, and it is rapidly being replaced by dynamic groups like this Forum. The world has changed. How we communicate has changed. Our expectations have grown significantly and our access to information has broadened unbelievably in the past ten years, so a lot of the reasons for the international clubs as the keeper of and dispersement of all relevant information has to a large degree disappeared. Some of these organizations have realized this early on and embraced this tool to become the online resource leader in their field. I don't see that with WBCCI.

That's why I'm not a WBCCI member. I am getting more than I need right here, and I don't have any of the issues. And I have enriched my life by making so many efriends. Does it get any better than this?

Barry
Old 04-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #49

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You know I've started to write a detailed response 2 or 3 times only to kill what I've written knowing that it's just more salt in the wounds. Just to summarize after 4 years as a member, a trustee and the web master for the local unit, the killers that made me drop out were a lack of time due to my job, a difference in philosophy regarding how rallies are done, and a general unwillingness of many within the unit to support change which would encourage the retention of new members. All of these being local issues. I could have stayed on as a MAL but the politics of the International, along with the fact that I don't attend that event or caravan, I just decided it was a waste of my money. The fact that we cannot retain new members says a lot about the sad state of affairs locally.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
No thank you.

I am not a member and at this point I do not wish to be. The benefits to me are too distracted from the "politics". Even before I was an Airstream owner or even cared about owning one the 'Wally' organization was attractive to me as an elite group to be a part of. After 50 years working for the same company (and enjoying much of those years) much of that time in management and some upper management I grew most tired of IT'S politics and in-fighting. It was and is very counter-productive. So why should I in my first year of enjoying retirement join an organization bent on destroying itself from counter productivity? I will check back in a year.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #51
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
You know I've started to write a detailed response 2 or 3 times only to kill what I've written knowing that it's just more salt in the wounds. Just to summarize after 4 years as a member, a trustee and the web master for the local unit, the killers that made me drop out were a lack of time due to my job, a difference in philosophy regarding how rallies are done, and a general unwillingness of many within the unit to support change which would encourage the retention of new members. All of these being local issues. I could have stayed on as a MAL but the politics of the International, along with the fact that I don't attend that event or caravan, I just decided it was a waste of my money. The fact that we cannot retain new members says a lot about the sad state of affairs locally.

Jack
Actually, you expressed that very well.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair

If you are an Airstream owner and not a member of the WBCCI,
Why did you "not" join??
We are entering our third year of Airstream ownership. We have children and initially surmised that WBCCI seems to be geared toward individuals or retired couples. It doesn't seem to have much to offer families. So I (we) felt no need to join three years ago.

And more recently, have been uninterested in joining due to the negativity whenever the topic of WBCCI is mentioned. However, for nostalgic reasons, I would like to see it survive its current struggles and eventually thrive again...if that is possible.

Randi
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #53

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
However, for nostalgic reasons, I would like to see it survive its current struggles and eventually thrive again...if that is possible.

Randi
I agree, I'd like to see it survive and quite honestly I could be back in the future, but only if things change. From my standpoint that could take 5-10 years, and I'm not sure how long the local unit will stay intact assuming that they can find new officers.

I guess technically, they have lined up officers for the next 3 years, but with the absence of new members who stay more than a year or two, they are going to end up having to recycle officer's who have already served or maybe their spouses.

I think the units that have folded have gone down because they can't find anyone to serve in the officer positions.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #54
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera

I think the units that have folded have gone down because they can't find anyone to serve in the officer positions.

Jack
From what I have seen and heard,this seems to be one of the primary reasons.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #55

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We offered to serve as officers, but pulled out when we realized what sort of things that entailed - board meetings in the middle of the day during the week (can't make it, working), attending far away week long rallys for officer enstatement ceremonies and annual board meetings (again, working), and just the work involved in setting up rallys. I think they make things way too hard on themselves. It's hard to get people to do these things because they make them difficult. Rallys need to be planned at least a year ahead to get them in the annual membership book of upcoming events and put them in the Blue Beret. Rallys have this expected level of activities and provided meals which are also difficult to plan, and for WB rallys there will always be a need for a nice hall to meet in because the 80 year olds can't be expected to eat outdoors or sit around the campfire (and don't blame me, this is what I was told by an outgoing president). This leads them to staying in parking lot type campgrounds. I cannot find the picture now, but there was a rally last year at a state park, where the trailers ended up parked side by side in a parking lot so close they couldn't even put their awnings out! It could happen to anyone, but that sort of thing happens more often with WB rallys from my experience.

I did do the newsletter for a couple years, and encouraged them to set up a website, which I am happy to see they are keeping, even if it is hard to get info to keep it up to date. It's a start. Staying in touch electronically would be more encouraging for the younger folks who are used to that. Board meetings held electronically would be nice as well, or even conference calls to make it easier on people who are spread out to communicate and be involved. I would like to NOT see board meetings at rallys because you end up feeling like it is rude to walk out and let the board handle things and they want the members input, but then you find yourself losing most of a morning to a long discussion of broken coffepots and storage of the club utility trailer. Working folks only get two precious days off a week, we don't want to spend it like that!

But what it really comes down to is WHAT do you get for your membership dues. I would gladly pay the $25 for the local unit. I don't see where we get any benefit from the international part of the club, and that's the majority of the cost. If there are no benefits, then why should I keep working hard and shelling out my hard earned money for nothing? It only took me four years to figure that out!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
We joined last year because the International was in our back yard and we wanted to attend. When we started to figure out that the fee was the same for a weekend or a week we opted to drive over one day an mill around. I'm glad we did not spend a week at the international, I would have become very bored. I thought a caravan would be interesting but I don't think so. Maybe one with 5 couples and a loose agenda. But the large caravans seem like a hassle. We prefer to be able to make decisions on what to do on the spur of the moment. I bought my trailer to enjoy camping and escape the social rules I face during the week. I want informal relaxed atmosphere. I'm sorry but the blue berets and sport coats are not what I want in my leisure time. The blue beret magazine is a waste, I don't want to see pictures of people and hear about the rules, changes and elections. Seems pretty political. I can only imagine what the editor endures from the officers who feel they are not pictured in the magazine enough.

We also joined for the courtsey parking, but found little available where we traveled.

Unless I see an adventuresome attitude swing, I can't see renewing my membership.

Airstream Forums and Airstream Life seem to provide me with all I need Airstream. Am I missing something?

HERE IS THE QUESTION TO WBCCI - Why should I join you? I am a very active outdoor athlete, 36 years old and like to camp along rivers in Forest Service or BLM sites. What do you have to offer me?