Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
Looking at the photo galleries I swear I saw WB at the Ohio event. I'm in my early 40's. I want activities that are flexible and easy going. As far as the turmoil goes in the club, who needs that in there life.I here politics all the time on TV don't need it in my recreation time.
Our AS's are special. They were created by a man with a vision. They were created to last. All of the new giant MH's were not his idea. They were created to compete in a new marketplace of gazillionaires. Most of those guys look down on us lowly vintage shiny palaces.
So for me the forums are community enough. When I see an Airstreamer I know I have something in common without having a number across the front of my AS.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I did not renew after the free membership because:

1) The club was stale. I got newsletters with folks on oxygen tanks.

2) The national group lost touch with the membership many years ago and it was clear to me that the dues were nothing more than supporting a group of folks that had their own interests above that of the majority of folks who are buying in this sales boom of new units.

3) The club is very resistant to change. It's got a post WWII mentality, chain of command type feel and is not at all geared overall, nationally or in most cases locally for folks that work. In comparision, this forum does have rallys geard more toward working folks with and without a family, with the only costs required, the campsite fees and less political red tape.

4) The rules and browbeating is a joke. The "where are your numbers", the "they are not mounted correctly", the eye rolls over someone having a drink, they stupid uniforms and berets. This is suppose to be camping, not the army reserves.

These are but a few. In retrospect, it was the best call I made. Why? Well since jumping ship after 2003, there was a name change that most didn't want, a basecamp arguement (like the Argosy), only to come to the point of the once "exclusive" club talking about allowing rebadged motorhomes in which was only to benefit a very select few, yet these same folks were very stern about not wanting Basecamps and the Argosy line in....up until Airstream pulled out of the main moho market, which they quickly changed tunes when it directly effected them.

You can look at Joe (2Airs) post or do a search and you will be here for months cutting and pasting all the comments.

Hopefully, you will be able to make a difference and finally, get these folks to smell the roses. There are a few local units doing the right things...the national group could learn a lot from this very small handful of local units IMHO.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
If you are an Airstream owner and not a member of the WBCCI,
Why did you "not" join??

My wife and I were so excited when we finally bought our Airstream; we wanted to immerse ourselves in the Airstream experience. We spent many hours searching the internet for information and fellowship. As former members of the AKC and the Saint Bernard Club of America, I was prepared for the politics and an unnatural longing for the past. From the WBCCI web page we sifted through the information, which I might add is not a very user friendly site, to discover the dues and fees. They seemed steep but hey it’s the WBCCI we figured. We searched several times to find a local unit near us (very tip of north east Georgia, 2 miles from NC, 7 miles From SC) none of the local units had websites so we couldn't tell much about them. It was about this time we stumbled onto the AIR and found a very supportive cyber community ready to take us in. We visited a few of the websites of other local units not in our area and were left cold. We called the local units that were near us and two of the three we called never called back. One did call back to tell us that the number listed on the website was incorrect and to give us another number we played phone tag for days and finally we both gave up.
We followed the forums and looked for a WBCCI rally near us to visit. Our local units are not very active or they don't report their activities to the WBCCI. Luckily for us a Forums rally was being held just down the road, we packed up and joined the fun. It was an eye opening experience for us. Just good people that wanted to have fun, fellowship, and follow the golden rule (not Roberts’s rules). We had a great time and liked that families, singles, grandparents, dogs, everyone was welcome.
We looked at the cost of WBCCI membership ($$$$$$$$$) weighed that against the benefits of membership (None) and decided that the WBCCI is not for us. We are active members of the forum contribute ($$) to it's continued financial health and attend rallies as we can.

To summarize, the WBCCI in my opinion offers no value for the money. They provide no discounts or volume purchaseing power; they are not responsive or helpful. They discourage (from what I have read) families and animals from attendance. They appear to be nothing more then a status symbol for an older generation. No caravans, no service projects, no real sense of belonging. With the National rally in our state we thought about joining for one year to say we attended but after listening to the VAP and reading blogs of others who attended in Oregon we have decided to forgo the “privilege” of attending.
I wish the WBCCI much success and hope that someday it will offer something for my family, but until then LONG LIVE THE AIR!!!!
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We were members when we first bought our first Airstream, and this may be our own problem, but the WBCCI didn't add any value for us. Seemed like too many rules/reg's - we just want to enjoy as a family.

We still work and have kids - just not a huge connection with WBCCI activities.

On the other hand, the Airstream Forums adds HUGE value - great ideas, willing contributors, and from time to time, get together in a somewhat ad hoc manner with like minded 'streamers. Bingo!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Wrong question

I normally stay out of these discussions, and to be frank, were it up to me, there would be no WBCCI threads on the forums. Why? Because, these discussions tend to produce a great deal of heat and not much light. I am mildly disappointed in the evolution of the club. Would it be neat if there was a Club of Airstream owners who were in it for the camping? Absolutely. Is that why I own mine? Nope. Has the club evolved into a disembodied social structure? I have to say from the outside it looks like it. Do some of the members confuse the club for a holly order and Wally for the messiah? Again, from the outside, it looks like it. So, yes it is a disappointment, but that’s just the way things are.

Having said that, I think it is admirable that you are making this effort and I wish you well in it. With the foregoing in mind, here is my response.

Paul, I think you have asked the wrong question.

Quote:
If you are an Airstream owner and not a member of the WBCCI,
Why did you "not" join??
Instead of asking those of us who have not joined, ‘why not’? I would instead have the club ask of itself: “what is this club about, really about?” and if I were not a member “why would I want to join”? “What need does this club really fill"? I suspect in short order this would lead to the realization that the club needs to ask of itself; “Do we REALLY want to grow? What is it that we really want to be, and what are we doing to get there”?

I think if the club was to do that sort of honest self-assessment there would be little reason to ask those of us who are not members what the problem is. Others have been quite eloquent in saying why they didn’t join. I can say this though, as near as I can see, of all of WBCII the 4CU is the only group making good arguments for joining. There may be others, but I haven’t seen it. I hope this is helpful, and I sincerely hope nobody takes any offence to my comments.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have put off replying, I didn't want to reply just for the sake of replying.
I also have been wondering what is being done to attract and hold membership.
It should not take too much reading here on the forums, to figure out what the complaints are. The shear volume will take a while to read if you are to read all of it. What else is there to say?
What kind of future does the club want? If they don't wish to make positive changes, then the writing is on the wall. And from the sentiments expressed here on the forums, it doesn't sound like re-badging is a positive change.
The ball is in the court of the WBCCI.
Dave
Old 04-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #21
Somewhere between NY & LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I normally stay out of these discussions, and to be frank, were it up to me, there would be no WBCCI threads on the forums. Why? Because, these discussions tend to produce a great deal of heat and not much light. I am mildly disappointed in the evolution of the club. Would it be neat if there was a Club of Airstream owners who were in it for the camping? Absolutely. Is that why I own mine? Nope. Has the club evolved into a disembodied social structure? I have to say from the outside it looks like it. Do some of the members confuse the club for a holly order and Wally for the messiah? Again, from the outside, it looks like it. So, yes it is a disappointment, but that’s just the way things are.

Having said that, I think it is admirable that you are making this effort and I wish you well in it. With the foregoing in mind, here is my response.

Paul, I think you have asked the wrong question.

Instead of asking those of us who have not joined, ‘why not’? I would instead have the club ask of itself: “what is this club about, really about?” and if I were not a member “why would I want to join”? “What need does this club really fill"? I suspect in short order this would lead to the realization that the club needs to ask of itself; “Do we REALLY want to grow? What is it that we really want to be, and what are we doing to get there”?

I think if the club was to do that sort of honest self-assessment there would be little reason to ask those of us who are not members what the problem is. Others have been quite eloquent in saying why they didn’t join. I can say this though, as near as I can see, of all of WBCII the 4CU is the only group making good arguments for joining. There may be others, but I haven’t seen it. I hope this is helpful, and I sincerely hope nobody takes any offence to my comments.
Amen to that Gen Disarray.

Even though I'm wildly enthusiastic about my Airstream and camping, I have never had the slightest inclination to join the WBCCI.

As Gen Disarray aptly pointed out, the real question is: why join?

When I got my first little Caravel I looked hard to find a reason to join the premier Airstream Club. I WANTED to find a reason to join. As far as I could tell there were none.

That's still my opinion, but I'm always open minded if something changes!

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: http://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ALGOMA , Wisconsin
Hi! Well I boght my Airstream about a year ago and had every intention of signing up...but the more I read the more turned off I was. I've gotten some helpful info here on the forum and I subscribe to Airstream Life. But to join the club? I don't think so. I've dealt with enough BS politics in the workplace that it seemed crazy to bring that into a part of my life I want to be stressfree and enjoyable. I've read about the motorhome amendment and personally feel if it's not an Airstream - it's not an Airstream. Period. But all the arguments about whether or not the amendment was properly handled, about Roberts Rules of Order...Geez, people! Get a life! As for me, I'm getting the trailer ready for the camping season and plan to enjoy it - you all can bicker to your heart's content. If you want to know why the club is not growing look in the mirror - I'm sure I'm not the only newbie turned off by all this crap.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #23
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
My wife and I joined the club when we purchased our first AS.
For us it was a part of the brand to belong to the club. This was the only reason we applied.
We had a rally last year with the unit and we met great people. I met AS owner and WBCCI members on the road and they were also great.
So my problem with the club doesn't come from the members.
That is a reason we want to stay in.
But I start to have an issue with the way the club is lead.
How much money, how many hours has been spend so far for what : new name, add non-AS MH.
I think AS is doing well. So potential members exist.
Why they do not join.
The fees are high for nothing.
If the IBT has time to waist let them know that now they can focus on something else and take time to check what the other clubs are doing to keep up with membership.
And I won't do it myself. As I said they have time now. And if they can't find anything it's time for them to move out. Or may be start to read this forum.
BTW you're asking "the" question.
best regards
david

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The governace of the club would like nothing better than to rule undisputed. The 13 year march to the top without running mates and without being challenged is what the club has set up to rule and use its Roberts Rules.

However if some did not decide to "bicker" they would have changed the name and let the Airstream only identity be eliminated. If you were a member would that then matter to you?

The amount of bickering is compensative with the importance of what is happening and because the members are no longer in control of their club. It is also a tactic from those in power to dismiss and reduce the uproar as divisiveness and bickering. There is all in jeporady here. It is a grave injustice going on and our biggest defense is member awareness and involvement.

What it is are passionate members trying to defend their club. It is so much more than the external observation of infighting. Sometimes, as peaceful as one would chose to be, there comes an issue dear to you and you feel obliged to stand up. We are sorry it is not very entertaining for the forums. But though it appears negative it is a positive in the works.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
You know that most of the rhetoric and politics are here on the Forum. I have been a member of the WBCCI for probably ten years, and I have yet to hear any of this at any meetings or rallys we've attended. My problem is that the club tends to be boring with its traditions and ceremonies.

Every time someone tries to update the club there is a chorus of outcries from a very small percentage of members on this forum. A very small percentage of members I might add! Don't let that distract you. The club itself is not like that at all.

The Motorhomers they detest so are the very people who have been doing the work of the club for generations, and having retired, sold the home that they raised their family in, decide to either go full time, or buy a smaller home and with the extra money, a larger Airstream. Now its the motorhomers they hate, but a new 35 foot trailer is over one hundred thousand dollars too. A lot of it is simple envy, and a lot of it is, as General Disarray said, a Messaih cult gathered around Wally. Its not always rational.

I guess my point is, don't let all this BS on this forum form your decision about joining or not. Most people who participate in the units have a good time and make many new friends. There are many seemingly good units that I read about, and the rest just need an infusion of younger people willing to help make improvements. That's the biggest problem with our club, we need new and younger members.

The older members of the units would love to have some younger families that would take over some of the work. I know people who are Officers for the third or fourth term simply because there is no one else to do the job. Join a unit and help it evolve.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Moderators please start a new thread from my previous post as I don't want to get Paul's thread that far off topic but would like to address the succeeding posts.

photography
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
You know that most of the rhetoric and politics are here on the Forum. I have been a member of the WBCCI for probably ten years, and I have yet to hear any of this at any meetings or rallys we've attended. My problem is that the club tends to be boring with its traditions and ceremonies.

Every time someone tries to update the club there is a chorus of outcries from a very small percentage of members on this forum. A very small percentage of members I might add! Don't let that distract you. The club itself is not like that at all.

The Motorhomers they detest so are the very people who have been doing the work of the club for generations, and having retired, sold the home that they raised their family in, decide to either go full time, or buy a smaller home and with the extra money, a larger Airstream. Now its the motorhomers they hate, but a new 35 foot trailer is over one hundred thousand dollars too. A lot of it is simple envy, and a lot of it is, as General Disarray said, a Messaih cult gathered around Wally. Its not always rational.

I guess my point is, don't let all this BS on this forum form your decision about joining or not. Most people who participate in the units have a good time and make many new friends. There are many seemingly good units that I read about, and the rest just need an infusion of younger people willing to help make improvements. That's the biggest problem with our club, we need new and younger members.

The older members of the units would love to have some younger families that would take over some of the work. I know people who are Officers for the third or fourth term simply because there is no one else to do the job. Join a unit and help it evolve.
Cooperhawk,

You have it correct, most of the politics is at and against the national leaders, the local people, for the most part, are great. The International, for all of its faults, gives you the opportunity to meet, in person, the people you have met over the internet. Where else will you have that opportunity?

Bill

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Coop, I find it hard to believe that you have never heard any of this at a meeting, the name change and brand identity of the club is huge. Your unit business meetings should be addressing these issues. Are you saying that every member at the meeting has been in favor of changing the name and letting the club be open to other brands?

You interject that there are motorhome haters frequently and I would like to say I have never seen any evidence of that. The issue isn't even motorhomes but other brands in an Airstream club.

I agree with you that one can just go camping and enjoy their unit and the club. But someone has to care about what is happening and try to stop it, even on behalf of those that do not support the troops.

Your comments about detesting motorhomers are false and inflammatory and create an air of negativity.

No one denies that the club has been kept for us by hard working volunteers and officers. They fought hard to keep it that way and now the baton passes down to others to work towards keeping that same club for our children.

And I completely agree with your comments here.

Quote:

I just don't want your comments about members hating other members to stand unchallenged. That is a very serious accusation and very slanderous and I take strong exception to those statements.

photography