Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
wbcci - why should I join?

Hi all
Not meaning to be a wise a**, but... why should I join wbcci?
Here's the thing, my wife & I are not club, caravan or "group" types. We got our 'streamer to go, when & where we want. When I'm in camp, I'm as nice as pie, but I'd really rather you left me alone. Don't get me wrong, you ask me for help, I'll do the world. But I don't want to travel with others. We want to pick up and go. That having been said, I feel a sense of guilt for not joining, as this is the group that continues the pride of airstream ownership. Give me your honest insight, please.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Join, read the magazine and continue the pride of ownership. Not everyone has to be active. This is my 2 cents

Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
I agree with you oldtrucksrul, just join but you don't have to be active or always camp with a group, but you might want to someday camp in an area that gives a discount if you are a member or camp at one of the airstream parks etc.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I used to say exactly the same thing. I bought the trailer to get away from people. Turns out, the local wally unit is a fun bunch, and our "trailering" turned into a social outlet, rather than an escape.
So, I wouldn't say that you "should" just join wbcci; but I would say that you "should" check out your local unit...then decide if its for you.
I'm not sure I'd join just so that on the off chance I happened to want to camp at an airstream park. But being in Jersey, you might want to go to the one there...I understand that its pretty nice. maybe thats reason enough to join as a member at large. Or, maybe not. (I'm never anywhere near an airstream park, so that wouldn't be a good reason for me.)
Anyway, if I had gone w/ my initial impression of the wbcci, and my initial exposure to it, (not exactly positive), I'd have missed out on a lot of fun.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
Well at Top of Georgia airstream park up in the north Ga. mountains if a member you can camp for I believe something like $7.00 a night not to mention like Chuck stated you might have some fun too
Old 06-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We're not club types either, and still do nearly all of our camping on our own or with close friends, but we love this unit:

WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170)

Fun, guilt-free Airstreaming.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Hi all
Not meaning to be a wise a**, but... why should I join wbcci?
Here's the thing, my wife & I are not club, caravan or "group" types. We got our 'streamer to go, when & where we want. When I'm in camp, I'm as nice as pie, but I'd really rather you left me alone. Don't get me wrong, you ask me for help, I'll do the world. But I don't want to travel with others. We want to pick up and go. That having been said, I feel a sense of guilt for not joining, as this is the group that continues the pride of airstream ownership. Give me your honest insight, please.
Many here are not WBCCI members. You can find many threads here speaking of the clubs strong and weak points. You will get a headache trying to follow the politics. My wife and I were members for a couple of years and met some very nice people but didn't think we were getting any bang for our buck. We decided to use the dues to pay for a couple more nights of camping. My wife and I certainly enjoy this forum and the rallies which members put on, they are less structured and more free form than the WBCCI events. You may want to try a couple of forum rallies and see how you fit in, if you like them then you may want to think about the WBCCI.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
My wife and I were members for about seven years or so, and seldom attended any events. Our schedule didn't fit our unit's schedule. We weren't retired, and mid-week activities just didn't work for us. We dropped out several years ago. The advice here is really good... check out your local unit. Attend a rally or two. See if it's for you. If it is, great. If it's not, you looked into it. Forums rallys (no WBCCI connection, of course) are a lot of fun too, and there's no commitment and no dues... just nice folks who enjoy a get-together occasionally.

Roger
Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
We have belonged to WBCCI for several years. Met some wonderful people in our local unit who are now good friends. We get together at times other than the regular rallies and have traveled together. Like others have said, give it a try and see if you connect. You may find it worth your while.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Initially we were not going to join WBCCI ... Like you, we don't think of ourselves as joiners, and we enjoy independence in our style of camping. However, we were invited to a Four Corners Unit as guests and decided to give it a try ... and we're glad we did ... we had such a terrific time with the 4CU folks that we joined at the end of the rally ... and have attended several rallies since.

We still do plenty of camping on our own, but we also enjoy the times when we attend rallies or camp with friends from the unit... Granted, they are differnet modes of camping, but both are fun in their own ways.

Check out your local units and see if they are for you...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
We're not club types either, and still do nearly all of our camping on our own or with close friends, but we love this unit:

WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170)

Fun, guilt-free Airstreaming.
I say do not join until you test the waters. Come out to a WDCU rally and see if you like it. Go to a Wautchung Unit rally and see if you like it. Go to a few other units events and see if you like it, then join. Your location puts you right in the middle of many units offering very different experiences. That is very fortunate for you. If you would like to come to a WDCU rally, I will pay your rally fee for you. I am almost certain you will have a great time and find our group to be a lot of fun to be with. We have had a new member join at every rally I have attended. Our web site is WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170) and the rally schedule is linked on the right hand side. Our Installation Rally is Oct 1-4 and is not too far from you. It is a business meeting for a grand total of 30 minutes. Installation is about as formal as it get. All the rest of the time is spent talking, eating, drinking, and having a good time. Some one usually has a trailer issue and ten guys go and fix it.
Don't join just to join. Go test out the fit of you to the Units around you. You might find the WBCCI is not your thing, but you might find you have a big family out there you did not know existed. PM me if there is anything I can do to help out.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
It can be more than a social club

We have attended one rally, and we joined right up with the local WBBCI Oregon unit, and we made some new and very special friends.

Another point is if you ever need help, or think that you might need help with your trailer, you have a large extended base of experienced friends to ask assistance or advice.

I had a scheduled hospital visit, and I asked for help for my wife, in hooking up the trailer after our visit at the hospital. We both do all of the chores of hooking up and setting up the trailer, and we check and double check each other. I didn’t know if I could be of any help, so I asked our unit president for some phone numbers of local members. I had to arrange the help as primary or first call, standby 1, and standby 2. Every one wanted to help, and I almost felt bad for not having a job for everyone, but all worked out well, with special thanks to Dusty& JoAnn, Scott & Cyle, and Walt & Lyn.

The rally’s seem to be a bit informal out here, with people drifting in and out, and trailers arriving early and late, and departures also happening early and late depending on individual schedules. I believe that if you drop in on a rally, you would be accepted and not pressured. As others have said, check it out, and if it fits your life-style, good for you, if not, its OK to move on.

Steve
Old 06-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Not Guilty!

Monkeypants, pack up your guilt and send it to Abu Dhabi. Any club membership is a choice that only you can make.

Back in 2006 I didn't want to join the WBCCI either. Especially with all the ridiculous political club hoofra and the bad press the WBCCI sometimes gets on the forums. All I wanted to do was go way from everyone, decompress, camp and have fun. But I joined as a MAL so I could belong to the Vintage Airstream Club. Like you say, a "pride of Airstream ownership" thing.

Then in 2007 I stumbled on the WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170). I was attracted partly because I didn't HAVE to participate actively if I didn't want to. No pressure, I could have my vote on some Airstream "pride of ownership" things, and it was cheaper than being a MAL.

After one rally, the Cherry Blossom in 2008, I realized I was part of a group that wanted the same thing I wanted; just to camp and have fun. Because of the WDCU I now have more friendships that will last a lifetime. Camping alone is still important downtime for me, and camping with forum friends is wonderful too. But camping with my WDCU family added a rich dimension that I would have missed otherwise.

Like Frank said, come join us and "test the waters" sometime. We'd love to meet you.

Or don't. We won't make you feel guilty whatever you decide.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
My wife and I are boondockers and by nature hermits.

I signed us up to the wbcci for the red numbers. Airstreams just look cooler with the numbers...

Long story short we joined the Four Corners Unit and drive out of state to Rally with them several times a year. We have so much fun with those guys and have made some lifetime friendships. We start getting excited when we know we will get to see them again.

For us it was a great decision.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote