Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Monkeypants, pack up your guilt and send it to Abu Dhabi. Any club membership is a choice that only you can make.

Back in 2006 I didn't want to join the WBCCI either. Especially with all the ridiculous political club hoofra and the bad press the WBCCI sometimes gets on the forums. All I wanted to do was go way from everyone, decompress, camp and have fun. But I joined as a MAL so I could belong to the Vintage Airstream Club. Like you say, a "pride of Airstream ownership" thing.

Then in 2007 I stumbled on the WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170). I was attracted partly because I didn't HAVE to participate actively if I didn't want to. No pressure, I could have my vote on some Airstream "pride of ownership" things, and it was cheaper than being a MAL.

After one rally, the Cherry Blossom in 2008, I realized I was part of a group that wanted the same thing I wanted; just to camp and have fun. Because of the WDCU I now have more friendships that will last a lifetime. Camping alone is still important downtime for me, and camping with forum friends is wonderful too. But camping with my WDCU family added a rich dimension that I would have missed otherwise.

Like Frank said, come join us and "test the waters" sometime. We'd love to meet you.

Or don't. We won't make you feel guilty whatever you decide.
I am also a member of the WDCU/WBCCI. We have yet to do a rally, but do like following the club via email/website, feeling a little more connected to Wally and hopefully being a part of continuing the legacy. I think you will find the leadership of WDCU is also very forward thinking and does a great job representing their members (Frank's example above is great). Also, while we are travelling we enjoy meeting all Airstream owners, sometimes the WBCCI membership opens the conversation.

Being from New Jersey your local unit also owns an Airstream only park near the shore.

In the total scheme of Airstream cost the membership is nothing. Give it a try and decide for yourself.

Best regards,
Chris

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Indiana
We do not rally or caravan, but we belong to WBCCI. Reason: the parks. They are the best. I have always found Airstreamers to be the best RVers around.. We're not really group type people who want someone to tell us where to go, when to leave, what route to take, etc. But we do like Airstreamers, the best around

Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
On the road,meant no harm

Dw & I are out and about now. Three days in New Jersey cranberry bog country. Will post pics of Wading Pines Campground and my correctly opened awning upon our return (using the I phone, not lap top). Great to be out and enjoying this beauty. Sitting by the fire right now with a glass of red. Also wanted to say that I meant no disrespect to the WBCCI or it's members. When we're a bit more comfortable in our aluminum skin we will decide what groups to join. What I do know right now is that this group has been very helpful and kind. Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3780 View Post
We do not rally or caravan, but we belong to WBCCI. Reason: the parks. They are the best.
Is there a list somewhere of these parks that are exclusive to WBCCI members?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Is there a list somewhere of these parks that are exclusive to WBCCI members?
newroswell,

There is a list in the Blue Beret, the magazine of the WBCCI.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
newroswell,

There is a list in the Blue Beret, the magazine of the WBCCI.

Bill
OK. I'm real interested to see what's out in CA, OR, NV, AZ. We've been considering joining also.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
OK. I'm real interested to see what's out in CA, OR, NV, AZ. We've been considering joining also.
newroswell,

The closest one I recall is in Lacy, WA, near Seattle/Tacoma.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
I think you are starting to see a pattern of WDCU members say the same thing. But it is true. Come out and see for yourself. It will be one of greatest weekends you spend. Jill and I just bought our Argosy in February and went to Cherry Blossom Rally (CBR) as a non member, thinking my wife and I would feel really awkward not knowing anyone. We are not social people but we try. From the moment we showed up everyone was so helpful and nice. It was a great opportunity to see other vintage Airstreams and see what they did to them. Jill and I signed up the moment we got home. I can't wait to go to Installation rally in PA. WDCU is a great group of young and less young and they are a fun group.

With that said, if you still have zero interest in the concept. By all means save the money and don't join. Just because you drive silver does not mean you need the red numbers.

If your free on a buddy rally weekend, sign up for rally and give it a try. Come on how can you pass on experiencing the sea of silver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01230.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	82502  
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Outing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Here's the thing, my wife & I are not club, caravan or "group" types.
Aren't you a part of this group?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post

If your free on a buddy rally weekend, sign up for rally and give it a try. Come on how can you pass on experiencing the sea of silver.
Folks who own Airstreams that are not WBCCI members do not have to wait for a buddy rally to attend a WBCCI event. The WBCCI Blue Book is specific in it's direction: Invite non WBCCI Airsteam owners to unit rallies, it's one of the best ways to bring in new members. The NEU gets lots of new members because we promote this feature.

If folks need the exact pages of the Blue Book which outline this directive let me know.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
Folks who own Airstreams that are not WBCCI members do not have to wait for a buddy rally to attend a WBCCI event. The WBCCI Blue Book is specific in it's direction: Invite non WBCCI Airsteam owners to unit rallies, it's one of the best ways to bring in new members. The NEU gets lots of new members because we promote this feature.

If folks need the exact pages of the Blue Book which outline this directive let me know.
I have done this about twenty times now.... Anyone wanting to try the waters, please contact me. I would be glad to get you into a WDCU rally of your choice at no obligation. I will even as a good guy gesture pay your rally fees. That is how worth while I think camping with my unit is.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
monkeypants
Now this is a personal opionion. But I would save your money that you would pay in dues and fees and use it for camping fees and fuel. You are a member of this group and we have rallys. You will meet the great people that align themselves with WBCCI,because alot of them are members here.They only belong to WBCCI because they feel they have to belong,but its not nessessary. We have just as much fun without the dues and rally fees.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
wbcci

Greetings monkeypants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Hi all
Not meaning to be a wise a**, but... why should I join wbcci?
Here's the thing, my wife & I are not club, caravan or "group" types. We got our 'streamer to go, when & where we want. When I'm in camp, I'm as nice as pie, but I'd really rather you left me alone. Don't get me wrong, you ask me for help, I'll do the world. But I don't want to travel with others. We want to pick up and go. That having been said, I feel a sense of guilt for not joining, as this is the group that continues the pride of airstream ownership. Give me your honest insight, please.
Just like RVing, WBCCI membership isn't for everyone. Having grown up with friends of my family who were avid WBCCI members, I always associated Airestream ownership with the WBCCI. Even before I took my coach to the DMV after I purchased it, I was calling the WBCCI headquarters to join. In the years since, I have opted to take out a lifetime membership.

Admittedly, to get the most value from your membership, you need to enjoy caravanning and/or rallying. As a Free Wheeler, I find these to be two of my favorite activites -- and -- over the years my WBCCI friends have become more like family and the International Rally becomes something of a large family reunion. If these very social WBCCI activites do not appeal to you, the WBCCI may not be a good value for you -- I would, however, encourage you to at least attend a buddy rally or two to see for yourself whether the organization may hold something for you. Something to keep in mind regarding rallys and caravans is that you often will be able to gain advantages such as:
  • Special reduced rates for camping. Rallys and caravans often receive special pricing from commercial campgrounds that can be a help to the budget.
  • Whether attending a Rally or joining in a Caravan, you can anticipate that the organizer(s) are familiar with the area and have likely been able to arrange tours and/or other sightseeing opportunities that may not be readily available to those traveling independently -- as well as those local/regional attractions that may not be so well-known but are interesting just the same.
  • While I realize that this doesn't apply for eveyone, a Rally or Caravan may provide the draw that might encourage one to travel to an area that may not have otherwise been considered -- I know that this has worked several times for me creating some very special memories.
With most local units, you will find that you are welcome to choose your level of activity within the unit. I have been a member of the Wisconsin unit for more than a decade, and have attended very few monthly meetings/luncheons -- but I have enjoyed a number of unit Rallys and Caravans. In addition, Intra-Clubs help to broaden the appeal and interest of the club (IMHO), and I have belonged to three for a number of years -- the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC), the Free Wheelers (Single Airstreamers traveling alone), and the Computer Club. Each of the Intra-Clubs tend to have a selection of their own Rallys and Caravans with activities tailored to their membership.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: The WBCCI website has a listing of those Airstream only parks with websites. The listing is about half-way down the page.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
One JOINS a group (Airforums, WBCCI) for a common love, in our case Airstreams.

One STAYS for fellowship.

Go ahead and check out a few local units. Ill bet you will find some pretty cool people there.

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote