Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
WBCCI, What would Wally do?

Three Questions

Three questions of amusement keep the pace from the inquisitive.

Do they still make these now?

Do you know who this is?

What would Wally do?

The first two questions are easy to answer.

Yes, they still make Airstreams in Jackson Center, Ohio. The Airstream trailer has been in production for over 78 years, and is going strong under the tutelage of Thor Industries.

It is embarrassing to detail that when I am in a group a friend introduces me to their friends, by saying, “Do you know who this is?” Yes, my Mother was the organizer of the club. And no I was not Wally Byam’s nephew; I am however, his first cousin once removed. So goes introductions.

The last question depends upon who is commenting on Wally’s words, wisdom and knowledge. The interpreters are looking for Moses coming down off the mountain. They hunger for answers that will unite the factions within the Wally Byam Caravan Club.

My answer, no one will want to hear it, is nothing. Wally would do nothing. Why?

Because the Club was founded for and by Airstream owners and not by Airstream. That doesn’t mean that Airstream hasn’t supported the Club.

If several factions didn’t agree upon something Wally would call for Helen Byam Schwamborn. Though Helen was on the payroll of Airstream, her first priority was to making sure the Club ran well. She could take those with the most hardened positions, listen to both sides, come up with solution that calmed each group, and protected and insured that the Wally Byam Caravan Club would not be injured. Her talent in dealing with Club Members, the Club Officials and Airstream insured the survival of the Club. We can all see that the Club is still around after 54 years.

Today the Club has conflicting parties. The aloofness, bull-headedness, emotional confrontations is not what the Club needs or is in the spirit of why Airstream owners formed the Wally Byam Caravan Club.

I think it is time that all Club members, in office, out of office, unit members, at-large-members, sub units and inclusive of everyone come to terms with the spirit and intent of the Club, and put aside the letter-of-the-law just long enough to review what really is best for the Club. Keep what makes sense, add-on anything that will protect the Club, and toss those things that are ludicrous and destructive to the Club.

It seems to me the Club needs a Helen Byam Schwamborn. At least the Wally Byam Caravan Club needs an arbitrator, mediator, and negotiator to cure the apparent ill will.

These three questions are asked often, two are easy, and one seems to require open-mindedness, caring and civil review.

I suppose if push comes to shove Wally might intervene if asked. He probably would take the disgruntled parties behind the woodshed. Wally had a way to take care of problems. If necessary, he didn’t mince words. When the group reappeared, I am quite sure that all questions would have been settled.

Again this is fantasy. Wally didn’t interfere with Club matters; that is why he depended upon Helen.

Helen outlived Wally; and the Wally Byam Caravan Club outlives Wally Byam and Helen Byam Schwamborn.

Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn
Old 07-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Nice post Dale
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
This why we all love you Pee Wee! Thank you for the perspective and wisdom.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
I think it is time that all Club members, in office, out of office, unit members, at-large-members, sub units and inclusive of everyone come to terms with the spirit and intent of the Club, and put aside the letter-of-the-law just long enough to review what really is best for the Club. Keep what makes sense, add-on anything that will protect the Club, and toss those things that are ludicrous and destructive to the Club.
I agree with you 100%!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Let's just go camping and have fun - the heck with all the rules and politics!
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
The virtue of doing nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post

What would Wally do?

My answer, no one will want to hear it, is nothing. Wally would do nothing.
Great post, Pee Wee.

It also reminds me of a great line in the movie, Lawrence of Arabia.

One of General Allenby's subordinates asks him excitedly, "What are we going to do?"

And General Allenby replies, "Why, nothing."

Then after a pause, he explains earnestly, "It's the best thing, usually."
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Hey Pee Wee, are you the only Wally relative? As an newbie to A/S and this site I find a lot of these posts - here and otherwise - interesting. I am a very passive person, unless someone/thing really upsets me. (And you do not want to get on my bad side ) I pretty much go along with the flow. So to me it looks like a lot should chill out, life is really to short - so let's go Streaming!!!!! Love to all
PS read you local obit's.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thank You Dale

I'm so glad I joined the WDCU - if for no other reason than because they had the sense to make you an honorary member for life!

You're a wise man, and I'm so sorry that the fates prevented me from meeting you on the caravan to the International. I was IN Pittsburgh but had to head back to Virginia a day and a half before the caravan passed through. I wanted to go to the Cracker Barrel parking lot and do a "Kilroy was here" sign in chalk on the asphalt.... but even that was thwarted by torrential rain.

I see you'll be joining a Forum Rally to The Wilds in Ohio, and I'm already talking to my business partner to see if I can play hookie and get there. I'll make you some REAL "hand squoze" lemonade, or if you prefer, I've got some semi-decent single malt Scotch in my trailer.

I surely agree with you that the club needs someone who can bring out the best impulses in people and get them to consider the other side's position. But... I think it's possible that Helen's maiden name might have also exerted a certain subtle influence beyond her obvious diplomatic talents.

I for one will follow your advice and try civility over rabble rousing. I'm not hopeful, because it appears that a lot of the current people in power know that they are draining the treasury, but think the club's decline is inevitable... so they might as well spend the money in their lifetimes as leave it for the next guy. It's unfortunate. Making any kind of change means making yourself really uncomfortable in the short term - and it's risky. But doing nothing is also a choice... in this case we can clearly see where that choice is sending the club.

PeeWee, I'll pay WBCCI dues... And I'll try to work with it's leadership whenever possible. But go to an International and be made to feel like an unwelcome interloper? I'm afraid I'd eventually give them the "Wally" reaction. I'll look forward to meeting you in the future at any WDCU Rally or anything the forum puts together.

Open offer to WDCU or the Forums - If we need to buy PeeWee a plane ticket to get him to to a rally... just PM me and I'll contribute!

Let's go camping!

Paula

"Illigitimi non Carborundum"
Old 07-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
No, there are other relatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Hey Pee Wee, are you the only Wally relative? As an newbie to A/S and this site I find a lot of these posts - here and otherwise - interesting. I am a very passive person, unless someone/thing really upsets me. (And you do not want to get on my bad side ) I pretty much go along with the flow. So to me it looks like a lot should chill out, life is really to short - so let's go Streaming!!!!! Love to all
PS read you local obit's.
Wally, of course, had his Mother's side of the family. The Biswells! I keep in contact with them. The reason I post is I have had a relationship with Wally, my Mother, Caravans, the WBCCI and Airstream.

When my Mother passed away in 2004, I felt it was necessary to continue to share the items I have, my personal history, in the Memory of Wally and my Mother. I do this the best I can.

As a newbie, welcome to the Wonderful World of Airstreaming!

Pee Wee
Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'm so glad I joined the WDCU - if for no other reason than because they had the sense to make you an honorary member for life!

You're a wise man, and I'm so sorry that the fates prevented me from meeting you on the caravan to the International. I was IN Pittsburgh but had to head back to Virginia a day and a half before the caravan passed through. I wanted to go to the Cracker Barrel parking lot and do a "Kilroy was here" sign in chalk on the asphalt.... but even that was thwarted by torrential rain.

I see you'll be joining a Forum Rally to The Wilds in Ohio, and I'm already talking to my business partner to see if I can play hookie and get there. I'll make you some REAL "hand squoze" lemonade, or if you prefer, I've got some semi-decent single malt Scotch in my trailer.

I surely agree with you that the club needs someone who can bring out the best impulses in people and get them to consider the other side's position. But... I think it's possible that Helen's maiden name might have also exerted a certain subtle influence beyond her obvious diplomatic talents.

I for one will follow your advice and try civility over rabble rousing. I'm not hopeful, because it appears that a lot of the current people in power know that they are draining the treasury, but think the club's decline is inevitable... so they might as well spend the money in their lifetimes as leave it for the next guy. It's unfortunate. Making any kind of change means making yourself really uncomfortable in the short term - and it's risky. But doing nothing is also a choice... in this case we can clearly see where that choice is sending the club.

PeeWee, I'll pay WBCCI dues... And I'll try to work with it's leadership whenever possible. But go to an International and be made to feel like an unwelcome interloper? I'm afraid I'd eventually give them the "Wally" reaction. I'll look forward to meeting you in the future at any WDCU Rally or anything the forum puts together.

Open offer to WDCU or the Forums - If we need to buy PeeWee a plane ticket to get him to to a rally... just PM me and I'll contribute!

Let's go camping!

Paula

"Illigitimi non Carborundum"
Paula,

I hope we meet soon. The Wilds will be a great meeting place.

Keep your eye on the prize.

Pee Wee
Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
When my Mother passed away in 2004, I felt it was necessary to continue to share the items I have, my personal history, in the Memory of Wally and my Mother. I do this the best I can.
PeeWee,

As Frank said, you are a good son! ...and I'll add, a good friend to all who get to know you.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote