1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
O.K. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
If the Officers vote to spend the money, it is legal. If you want change, get involved by becoming an Officer. Work for change. Don't just bitch. When you do get involved, then you may see some of the reasons that the club is going the way it is. The older members would welcome some good constructive help.
Enough people here have stated that they tried but the stranglehold at the top prevents that from happening very effectively or no response at all (as is the case when a member tried to present someone ideas to the region 12 Prez and never heard back). The only hope we have currently is to wait until we are olf farts and in the club still. Then we can get voted in as the president and first lady and then make the changes we see fit. That is part of the stranglehold in the club as we perceive it - you have to be retired to be able to get involved to that depth.

Yes the officers CAN vote to spend money - the question is whether or not that decision is wise and in the best interest of the group. I know that not all decisions made actually benefit the organization that they are made for. I use for example the company I work for. They made some decisions to make some changes to the company. End result the stock dropped in value by over half and never recovered. Legal? Yes. A good idea? Certainly not.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #16
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Personally, I'm happy to have the Airstream association be anything but like Good Sam!

Good Sam is but one of the many subparts of the
Affinity Group
, whose principal goal is fairly obvious: To make money. Here's a list of their ventures, from their website:

Quote:
THE LOYAL AFFINITY CLUBS
Affinity Group's RV clubs have more than 2 million members. So, whether it's a local weekend campout, a round of golf, or the high adventure of a 40-day trek to Alaska, Affinity Group clubs, rallies, events and tours are surefire routes to outdoor fun.
Affinity Clubs:
Coast to Coast Resorts
Golf Card
Good Sam Club
President's Club

CAMPING WORLD
Your RV and Camping Superstore since 1966.
Our Camping World subsidiary is the only national retailer of RV products and services. Camping World operates over 30 retail locations across the country, and also does business via its popular catalog and Web site. As the world's largest supplier of RV accessories and supplies, Camping World stocks over 8,000 SKUs.

AGI PUBLICATIONS
Power and Reach
The numerous magazines created by the Affinity Group publications arm reach more than 6 million active and loyal RV owners and outdoor enthusiasts.

RV PUBLICATIONS
AGI publishes a wide array of magazines and directories for the RV market. Our publications include Trailer Life, MotorHome, Highways, Coast to Coast, RV Business, RV Buyers Guide, RVView, and Woodall's and Trailer Life directories and books -- making us far and away the leader in the RV publishing industry.

RV Publications:
Coast to Coast
Highways
MotorHome
RV Business
RV Buyers Guide
RVView
TL Books
Trailer Life
Trailer Life Campgrounds, RV Parks & Services Directory
Woodall's Campground Directory

Woodall's Regional Publications:
CamperWays
Florida RV Traveler
Midwest RV Traveler
Northeast Outdoors
Southern RV
Southwest RV Traveler
Summer Destinations
Sunny Destinations

Ehlert Publications
In addition to our RV publications, we produce many outdoor recreation magazines through our Ehlert Publishing Group (EPG) subsidiary. These magazines are predominantly targeted at powersports vehicle enthusiasts who own motorcycles, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs).

Readers of the EPG magazines are primarily males in the peak earning 25-54 age demographic. They are well-educated, married homeowners who have a median income well above the national average. The powersports enthusiasts are particularly aggressive in pursuing their passions, investing an average of almost $12,000 annually in equipment and travel. They ride their vehicles on average of 47 days each year, and 40% will buy a new motorcycle, ATV, personal watercraft, or snowmobile every year.

These more-than 2 million readers are a perfect complement to the broad RV audiences reached by our AGI publications. Together, the combined reach of all publications is in excess of 6 million. This active market shares a great love of the outdoors and has the purchasing power to support the lifestyle of their choice.

Ehlert Publications:
American Rider
Archery Business
ATV Magazine
ATV Sport
Black's Archery/Bowhunting Directory
Black's Flyfishing Directory
Black's Wing & Clay Directory
Boating Industry
Bow Hunting World
Cruising Rider
Powersports Business
Rev
Rider
SnowGoer
Snowmobile
Snow Week
Thunder Press
Watercraft World
Woman Rider

RVtoday
A Vision Shared
In April 2001, RVers across America began a travel odyssey. They tuned in to the premiere of RVtoday, a remarkable new television show that captures the fun and adventure of the RV lifestyle. RVtoday airs seven times a week on the Outdoor Life Network (OLN), the premier network for outdoor enthusiasts that will reach more than 60 million households in 2003. Our average cumulative quarterly audience consists of adults 35-64 and is greater than 8 million viewers.
So, ok, Affinity Group ventures are about the money. That's just fine by me, but it differs dramatically the WBCCI, which is about the people, not the money.

Lynn

Old 01-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #17
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Yes, but the idea is that more service and intelligent use of existing infrastructure will bring in more members, not a name change.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Rarely Used Search Feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
the search too works really well here or
how about those 5 similar threads at the bottom of the page?

wouldn't it make sense to search these other threads and reference them or summarize them or just continue them? instead of asking the same opened questions again?
Great point, people who are new to the forum, usually don't know how to search the forum for answers. Instead they type in their question and we respond. There is a great deal of information here when you search for it.

However, this is why we joined the forum, we ask a question and people respond. We may have joined WBCCI for the same reason...the knowledge base. Thanks for your positive attitude and willingness to share.

So Good Sam vs. WBCCI? I'm with MyBoy...its about the Airstream and like I said above..the knowledge base. I joined WBCCI to be with like minded people who love Airstreams. I would join Good Sam for the same reason I join AAA....for travel info and camping benefits.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I, too, belong to both and for totally different reasons. I belong to Good Sam for the (rather poor) magazine, campground discounts, a fresh directory every other year, and road service. I probably about break even on campground discounts; the others are gravy.

In the past, I have belonged to the folding trailer club, and the TrailManor club. In each case, there was a cohesion of interests. There were shared problems and shared solutions. In each case, I enjoyed the social interaction because we had a common base to start from.

I have never attended a Good Sam event, but I have been in close contact in numerous occasions, sharing campgrounds or the audience at musicals, etc. In observing these groups, I never felt the least inclination to participate. I never felt I shared anything with these groups and I never detected any spark within the groups that would make me want to participate. They just all happened to own RVs and it seemed to be a way for full-timers to kill time.

OTOH, with all the WBCCI warts, I did feel that cohesiveness the first time I attended a WBCCI luncheon and my unit has been a big part of our social life ever since. My wife, 2nd VP of our unit, feels the same and she has never been a "joiner".

I'll keep my Good Sam membership, but I would let it go in a moment if I could only belong to one of the two clubs.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #20
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I'll keep my Good Sam membership, but I would let it go in a moment if I could only belong to one of the two clubs.
Do I understand correctly that you wish that some of the services from the other clubs would be nice to have in the WBCCI? And that if it did, you probably wouldn't belong to the other clubs??

I am sure the camaraderie in WBCCI is probably better than a large club like GS. And that is a definite plus for WBCCI. But that doesn't come from the top as much as it does from the unit level on up.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
what about the FMCA? They have a great magazine, and huge rallys.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
GS vs WBCCI Good vs Evil
What is the point? I've never wanted to caravan... the Wally Byam CARAVAN Club International... guess what puts me off joining?
And if I understand correctly.... his cousin Helen began the club AFTER golld ol' Wally DIED. Makes me wonder about invoking what Wally would think so many times about the name change, etc, etc, etc.
What would make ME want to join a club? Well for sure, not the opportunity to caravan! Too damned indepentent I think. But did enjoy the forum rally we attended.
My personal prerequisite to joining is this: Double deck, military rules, pinnochle tournaments! Or even the chance to play on a weekend.
First club that can guarantee me and hubby team play gets my money! Hah!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #23
Craftsman

Wally Byam, Wally Byam , Wally Byam. Just what does he have to do with what any of us as Airstreamers today have an interest in? It's obvious that somethings not working.If you watch the old movies or look at or read the old accounts, it's seems like the club was offering the membership something exciting, but that era is over. The picture of Wally in his beret and bullhorn leading the caravan, is history. I rejoined this year, but I'm not 100% sure why. Just what does the WBCCI offer younger members with jobs and children today? Is this just really of club of retires, having potluck dinners ,playing cards and comparing their trailers? There just doesn't seem to be any real interest in offering anything new. Seems like that there are a fair number of people saying don't change anything, it hasn't worked for awhile , were losing members but I like it just the way it is.
A name change may not change the way things are done at WBCCI but it's a start.In my opinion and it may only be my opinion, some change is better than what they've been serving up. Then start looking at what members are really interested in and give it to them in double helpings.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
... There just doesn't seem to be any real interest in offering anything new. Seems like that there are a fair number of people saying don't change anything, it hasn't worked for awhile , were losing members but I like it just the way it is.
A name change may not change the way things are done at WBCCI but it's a start.In my opinion and it may only be my opinion, some change is better than what they've been serving up. Then start looking at what members are really interested in and give it to them in double helpings.
I don't think I have seen a single post not to change a thing, but rather not to change the name. If you are correct that a name change will be the lead in to a more attuned club for active enthusiasts that would be terrific. I hope that happens. But I think this first change is consuming a lot of time and a lot of energy and eventually a lot of resources and then and only then will we be right back at the beginning of looking for change.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #25
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
And if I understand correctly.... his cousin Helen began the club AFTER golld ol' Wally DIED.
Listen to the Vintage Airstream Podcast and you will hear Wally himself talk about caravanning. Wally started it all. Sure it eventually became WBCC - International but Wally started it.
I detect a level of bitterness from a few people on these threads and the theme is common. People are not interested it seems in the past ways of the club. I agree - the militaristic way of doing things and first ladies turn me off.
It is time for a change in the way business is being done. Even the boys and girls clubs have adapted to the changing scouts coming in. But to change the name of the club with the expectation that it is what will somehow push the club in a new direction is a false hope. It is not a "start". It really isn't because with the new name the IBT are going to rest back on laurels and think that it's done. The club will still be doing business as usual - nothing changes. It finishes before it began.
I would rather hear about internal changes the club is doing to bring 'em in. Going from Wally Byam caravaners to WBCCI bespeaks the changes the club went through back then. They started planning and offering an international trips and reaching out in new directions. Which way are they reaching now?
Old 01-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Listen to the Vintage Airstream Podcast and you will hear Wally himself talk about caravanning. Wally started it all. Sure it eventually became WBCC - International but Wally started it.
Can't listen to the VA Podcast! Don't know how!

Well, I'm often wrong about things.... lol
Within the last thrity days, someone posted a link with info about Helen, (possibly her obit).... can't quite remember now. Was sure those links indicated Helen began the WBCC-I AFTER Wally's death. Perhaps she merely renamed it after his demise?
Read the sketchy WBCCI History on their website..... too bad it is mainly a bio of Wally, with damn little about the organization. How disappointing. See here: http://wbcci.org/index.cfm?pageSRC=History
I cannot find any info on the prpose of the club, at least on its own site!
I get very confused about what, exactly, the purpsoe, or mission statement, is!
I was also taken aback by this statement on their FAQ page:
Answers to Questions about one of the world's largest trailer & motorhome organizations composed of one make of recreational vehicle, the Airstream.
Down to less than 10K members and STILL one of the largest?

All this talk of RV clubs in general ...... what is the purpose of any of them? What am I paying my money (dues) for? A chance to get a pitiful little discount on something, and to paste a special sticker somewhere?

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #27
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
All this talk of RV clubs in general ...... what is the purpose of any of them? What am I paying my money (dues) for? A chance to get a pitiful little discount on something, and to paste a special sticker somewhere?
I can't answer this question but I know that whatever it is it can be improved.

The podcast is on http://www.thevap.com/ - the Vintage Airstream Podcast Website. Scroll down to episode 8 and click the "Direct Download" link and listen to it - it is cute and informative!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
And if I understand correctly.... his cousin Helen began the club AFTER golld ol' Wally DIED. Makes me wonder about invoking what Wally would think so many times about the name change, etc, etc, etc.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Just to correct a technicality, the club was formed as the "WBCC" in 1955 on an Eastern Canada caravan that Wally lead part way. Wally then left to go to Europe to scout out the following years European Caravan and he left Helen to continue to lead the Eastern European caravan and form the club with his permission. I understand it, his permission was in response to people asking that such a club be formed. The "I" was added to the club mane some years later (I am thinking 1961 for some reason, but perhaps it may have been as late as 1964). Wally didn't die until 1962, so he may have seen the club through it's first name change, for what that's worth.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote