Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #71
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
I once heard an interview with Wally Byam. He was talking about the organization of a caravan. In the interview he said that each member votes and the minority always follows the majority. That is a democracy plain and simple. Everyone has a voice and everyone has a vote. The present system is a republic. We elect a few to speak for the whole. How hard would it be to send every member a ballot to vote on an issue? What is the objection there? WE are the club. WE pay our due to be a part of the club. If WE want the system to CHANGE, WE can do it and do not let anyone tell you other wise.

That just makes too much sense. If only it was that easy.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
The NEU increased membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Thanks Mike!
Hey Rick,

No worries, we did grow our membership. We just had a number of renewals and newbies come in after the WBCCI Directory deadline. Also a bunch of our long time (though not active) members retired from the WBCCI/ NEU this year. I think our "regular" membership stands at 112 or 113. Our Treasurer can confirm for you.

For folks who are not part of the NEU: Our club is not really concerned about the number of members, we care about having active members which is running at about 65% of our total membership (this includes affiliates, we've got some affiliates who are more active in the NEU than in their regular unit). By active we mean members who attend two or more events a year. I guess Leon and I would be considered over-active members, I don't think we missed an NEU event in 2007.

I know it's important to the WBCCI to have membership growth. But this is not the only thing that is needed. Active members, not just paper members are needed to insure the WBCCI lives on.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #73
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
2004= -4%
2005= -0.5%
2006= -8%
2007= -5%
2008= -2%
Interesting...thanks for posting this.

So, if these are even remotely near acutal (taking into consideration a +/- factor as this is not scientific in any way), then what I am hearing is that on average, about 3.9% is what is being lost annually (within the last 5 year window). I wonder how many of these departing were from "natural causes" vs. how many have simply left? The real question also is, where are the nearly 10k (2000 new units/yr for last 5 years) new Airstream owners? That number too high? Then where are the 5000 (1000 new units/yr for the last 5 years) new Airstream owners?

If this trend continues for the most part on course as it has, then it may be a fair estimate that 10 years from now, 40% of the current membership could be gone. In 20 years, nearly 80% of the membership could be gone unless there is some stop to the exodus by means of both some kind of recruitment or rentention. Could the remaining 20% left in 20 years be the units we are talking about today that have been bucking the trend of the overall org?

Could this mean that the *glory* days of WBCCI are behind it and that these hanfuls of units become really it?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #74
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
3 top percentage growth units

Here is a 5 year breakdown of the 3 units showing the top percentage gains this year in the annual directory.These are only numbers and take them for what they are worth.They are presented for informational purposes only.

Unit#157 Sierra Nevada Unit

2004- 7 members
2005-14 members
2006-23 members
2007-26 members
2008-35 members

Unit#170 Washington DC Unit

2004-56 members
2005-66 members
2006-67 members
2007-69 members
2008-100 members

Unit#172 Texas Highland Lakes Unit

2004-40 members
2005-45 members
2006-41 members
2007-46 members
2008-59 members

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 02-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #75
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
lies, damn lies, and statistics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
...Also a bunch of our long time (though not active) members retired from the WBCCI/ NEU this year.
I figured that had to be the case...I couldn't believe that we are only "+1" from last year. At every rally, there seems to be at least one new member joining...how could we only be up 1??

The numbers don't tell the whole story.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I figured that had to be the case...I couldn't believe that we are only "+1" from last year. At every rally, there seems to be at least one new member joining...how could we only be up 1??

The numbers don't tell the whole story.
It is interesting how different our club is even since Leon and I joined in 2003. The older, long time members have mostly retired from trailering and the WBCCI. We (baby boomers) are in the leadership positions and we have changed the face and direction of the NEU. Our new members are mostly in their 30s to 50s and camp with kids. How cool is that? I believe this is because Airstream's new product line attracts younger, hipper, RV buyers. The new Safari Sport models should bring us more singles, and even younger first time trailer buying families. Bottom line is the NEU is growing. In fact I just read our latest club newsletter and saw that we brought on 5 new members in January. Pretty darn good when you realize it's winter and no one is really camping here in New England.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Must be all that deliberate living in the North East and their harsh winters. The older ones are really hanging on here in Michigan, probably because they winter in Dade City or get whisked away by SkyMed.

Michelle I always enjoy looking at your unit's activities. Lots of fun things to do. Good job with your unit.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Must be all that deliberate living in the North East and their harsh winters. The older ones are really hanging on here in Michigan, probably because they winter in Dade City or get whisked away by SkyMed.

Michelle I always enjoy looking at your unit's activities. Lots of fun things to do. Good job with your unit.
Thanks Carol!

We have so many events planned for 2008 that I think I'll need to clone myself to be able to attend them all. And the NEU has a few Renegade Rallies in the works too (non WBCCI). Our dance card for 2008 is wicked full, yippee!

Oh, the NEU loves it's older, long time members and we are sad when they retire. I think our unit may be a bit different than others because some years ago the long time members / leaders decided it was time to pass the torch of leadership to the few (at the time) younger members of the club. Though it was not always easy for them they adjusted to and accepted (mostly) the NEU's evolution to what it is today.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
MIKE - super stats - you always come through every year...but do you remember my question of 2004 - with member stats - is a unit holding their own when they loose almost as many as they have join each year???

i.e a unti has 100 - they loose 20 but 25 new join so their stat would show - as plus 5 - making them what "great" at retaining members????

Sorry not sure this method actually tells the health of the WBCCI or it's units..

The WDCU is a catch all for MAL's who want more than being a MAL - like they want a vote for the same money that others are paying.

It is in its core and its reputation a great Unit! - and they certainly give us MAL's that want to make a statement a chance to do so.

But surely this new committee should be looking at the decline - and retension issues...I think it is time for smaller and more personal units (available through the polices 15 member minimum) but - with manageable procedures without having to go through such protocol to form a group of people have to have a full fledged Executive incorporate and the works just to collect and forward fees to WBCCI head office and to vote on By-laws and polices. And such political trife to get your stars and strips so to speak - flags and unit names etc.

Perhaps they should be looking at how well the forum rallies work. They gather have fun and even come up with t-s or stickers, and all sorts of different neat things that do not take 2 years to get a rubber stamp or what have you. Some step up to organize and the rest pitch in and it is always a great time.

Perhaps WBCCI could look into different types of memberships to better suit its changing demographics and introduce affiliate programs - affilate units - fees based on services required of different size units etc.

Anway - I think since these forums started and the now huge collective voice on both sides of the WBCCI issue has strengthened the club through osmosis. And it will be a matter of time as the 20 somethings become 30 somethings the 40 somethings become 50 somethings and the 60 somethings become the 70 somethings and we all just evolve through life with our Airstreams......

Each will do what we can when we can and have fun while it lasts -

Just like Mike - I would say over the years you have had an absolute ball with your statistics - I remember you telling the story of making notes of all the airstreams that made it out to Eastern Canada and the Big Red numbers you used to write down and track their visits - just so interesting in deed You are a true Wally Enthusiast and I congratulate and thank you for sharing your hobby with us all.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Thanks Carol!

We have so many events planned for 2008 that I think I'll need to clone myself to be able to attend them all. And the NEU has a few Renegade Rallies in the works too (non WBCCI). Our dance card for 2008 is wicked full, yippee!

Oh, the NEU loves it's older, long time members and we are sad when they retire. I think our unit may be a bit different than others because some years ago the long time members / leaders decided it was time to pass the torch of leadership to the few (at the time) younger members of the club. Though it was not always easy for them they adjusted to and accepted (mostly) the NEU's evolution to what it is today.
MBB

I've often wondered what happens to me when I'm at the age where hauling my trailer and all that's involved with that becomes too great an issue and I'm forced to "retire" from something I love so much.

It's neat that your predecessor members were willing to pass the torch to see the unit continue its growth and maintain its relevance for the active members. Does your unit do anything to keep those older folks engaged yet in some way? If so, it would be interesting to know what and how well that works.

Thanks,

Barry
Old 02-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
MBB

I've often wondered what happens to me when I'm at the age where hauling my trailer and all that's involved with that becomes too great an issue and I'm forced to "retire" from something I love so much.

It's neat that your predecessor members were willing to pass the torch to see the unit continue its growth and maintain its relevance for the active members. Does your unit do anything to keep those older folks engaged yet in some way? If so, it would be interesting to know what and how well that works.

Thanks,

Barry
Yes, we do try to keep our long term members engaged. Phone calls and emails are made to them. We have a members news section in our newsletter where we publish information about their travels and health. We try to offer a subset of rallies / events that appeal to an adult crowd. But this be said I believe many of our older, long term members only keep current with the WBCCI as a way to feel connected to their past travels and their traveling friends. Many in our unit do not even own an Airstream any longer and may only attend a luncheon or two with old WBCCI friends while in Florida for the winter. So I guess what I'm trying to say is we are seeing less and less of the older members, and much more of the younger members. I think this is just the way it is and will be. We also will get older, will at some point need to give up trailering and will retire from the club. Hopefully we will have had the good sense to pass the leadership of our unit to younger members so it continues to live on.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I know what you mean MyBoy about the older members slowly migrating away. We see this within our car club as well, although people tend to keep their cars a lot later. An interesting reminder to me, and what made me think of the older members when I'd first read your post was a memorial a week ago for one of our car club members. His kids had a powerpoint tribute for him with the last picture being one of him sitting in his '66 baracuda a year or so ago. He's doing a big smokey burn out, a huge grin on his face, and it reminded everyone there that what many thought of as the old fellow they were remembering was right to the end young at heart.

It's really good to hear about the younger folks engaging, and kids and camping were made for each other. Keeping the dream alive. It makes camping fun, no matter how old you are, when kids are excited about camp fires, marshmallows, weiner roasts, falling stars, tadpoles, frogs and all the other wonderful things that are all part of being in the outdoors.

Camp on...

Barry
Old 02-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I get junk mail everyday Im wondering how long it will take someone to sell my name to WBCCI .We have no active unit here Im told, and we are right in the backyard of the National Office.I hear all the members are so old they dont rally anymore. So Why should I spend my money on WBCCI or its unit ,What are they gonna do for me?Oh Thanks MIKE for the intresting stats. Help's me make up my mind. Sorry to be negitive.
Roger
Old 02-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #84
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
I get junk mail everyday Im wondering how long it will take someone to sell my name to WBCCI .We have no active unit here Im told, and we are right in the backyard of the National Office.I hear all the members are so old they dont rally anymore. So Why should I spend my money on WBCCI or its unit ,What are they gonna do for me?Oh Thanks MIKE for the intresting stats. Help's me make up my mind. Sorry to be negitive.
Roger
No need to apologize for being negative.It seems the majority of WBCCI threads on this forum seem to end on a negative note.There is not a club out there that meets everyone's needs.There are 137 units in WBCCI and the units vary in activities somewhat depending on what stage the unit is in.Some are growing,most are not.
During the past couple of years on this forum there were members thinking about starting their own unit in Ohio because they did not find a fit for them.But it takes some work and dedication and frankly,a lot of folks just don't have the time.Two years ago a new unit was started in Texas and last year the 4CU was born.It should be easier to start a new unit drawing on the experience of the forum members of the two units that recently completed the process.Ohio has always seemed to have a high concentration of Airstream owners and I would not be surprised to see the talks of a new unit appear again one of these days.
I remain positive for the future of WBCCI.I believe change is coming.It won't be tomorrow but it is coming.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083