Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
As a disgruntled WBCCI member I helped start the ForumRally trend about 14 years ago, a little fuzzy on the date. But I was in the first 8 or so members here.
I have seen WBCCI units come to the light, planning less stringently managed Rallys and encouraging camping together just for fun.
The Rallys I started spawned a number of others that have exceeded expectations in their success. The formula always= open to anyone, little or no scheduled required events, no rules, etc. Just a good time for all.
We have recently started combining with the Tin Can Tourists Club to encourage owners of other vintage brands to join in. Last October we had 30+ vintage units at our Falluminum rally.
The thing that put us off the WBCCI is still in existence in some area clubs. Right here in GA it is alive and kicking and has created an alternative unit that much more fits the lifestyle of current Airstream owners of new and vintage units. This S.E. Camping unit makes a lot more sense to me. I haven't joined though as I am not forking any money over to the WBCCI. I happily gave my 20 bucks to TCT though.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
Greg,

You can read about the long troubled history of vBulletin (the software that runs this site) here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBulletin

I think the last update to version 3 was about 5 years ago.

Thanks for the link. For over 30 years I was in s/w and systems design. This architecture is a giant boat anchor and can't be fixed based on its foundation application server, or lack there of (written in VB) and MS Sql server as a DB backend. AirForum needs to take it data and users some where else, if they ever want a reasonable modern experience.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Old 02-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I feel if you own and AS you should support air forum and WBCCI not a big deal and they promote the AS

Just my 2 cents

I have seen that some airstreamers are very frugal except when it comes to the silver bullet. Come on folks lets support WBCCI it won't break the bank

Earl
Old 02-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #24
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Actually, WBCCI is getting about 90 new members a month. The International Rally was sold out in November. This aircraft carrier is slowly turning and gaining forward momentum. There is no connection between WBCCI and RVillage at all. The club is only informing members of another way to connect with other Airstreamers (and RVers, no matter what brand). I'm in an RV park in California now, on the way back from a caravan, and discovered through RVillage that there are other club members in the same park. We had a nice chat and happy hour. Wouldn't have happened without RVillage. I like the positive, welcoming tone of their forum and believe many other club members will as well.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #25
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Howie what site did they suggest? I am a WBCCI member and haven't seen any email.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #26

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
- I believe membership is growing.

- The online presence of the WBCCI is the best it has ever been.

- Airstream sales are incredible strong.

- The International Rally is creeping towards the highest attendance in ten years.

- Many caravans are again sold out.

- A high percentage of Unit's are doing amazing things.

- Hell, we even have lot's of positive talk on Airforms.

- Finally, we got Monah in the works.

You're right, "they" (psst, that's you) don't get it!
DanB - your note just gave me goosebumps. You're right, we got Monah in the works and I'm in it to win it!!!!
M
Old 02-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #27

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I dropped my WBCCI membership over the olde garde (mis-)management issues... but will rejoin when I retire.

I don't think everything is perfect about the club - but some regional groups are great, and some progress is being made even by the "digging in the heels" members. I've vowed to enjoy the individuals and ignore the fossils.

BTW this year's international is going to set records for attendance. Holding it where it's convenient and affordable - with lots of full hookups - wow, what a concept! If they send the Parking Nazi's to charm school, that will totally tip the scales in the club's favor.

BTW2 I attended Alumalina last fall and had a great time - in spite riding in on a spare tire with pink duct tape holding my umbilical together. I met one or two other people who'd never been to a rally before and went from skittish to WOW in about three heartbeats. I don't know if anyone's saying "it isn't your mom's old WBCCI" yet, but evolution seems to be speeding up. And I didn't run into anyone with either a chip on their shoulder or suffering from low level hypoxia (oxygen starvation to the brain caused by where they'd stuck their heads).

Paula
Hi Paula,
Not only is the W. Virginia International Rally a record-setting attendance mark for an IR in recent memory but I, as a nominee for International Third Vice President, will be part of the parking committee. I'm looking forward to greeting as many of those 600+ Airstream owners with a smile and a "I'm glad you're here"....I get giddy doing this having served in this capacity at the recent International Board of Trustees (IBT) meeting Rayne, LA.

Mona
Old 02-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #28

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I dropped my WBCCI membership over the olde garde (mis-)management issues... but will rejoin when I retire.

I don't think everything is perfect about the club - but some regional groups are great, and some progress is being made even by the "digging in the heels" members. I've vowed to enjoy the individuals and ignore the fossils.

BTW this year's international is going to set records for attendance. Holding it where it's convenient and affordable - with lots of full hookups - wow, what a concept! If they send the Parking Nazi's to charm school, that will totally tip the scales in the club's favor.

BTW2 I attended Alumalina last fall and had a great time - in spite riding in on a spare tire with pink duct tape holding my umbilical together. I met one or two other people who'd never been to a rally before and went from skittish to WOW in about three heartbeats. I don't know if anyone's saying "it isn't your mom's old WBCCI" yet, but evolution seems to be speeding up. And I didn't run into anyone with either a chip on their shoulder or suffering from low level hypoxia (oxygen starvation to the brain caused by where they'd stuck their heads).

Paula
OK I knew it!!!! We met in JC when I and three other members of the Oregon Unit created the infamous Chic Roadtrip. Thanks for the pink flamingo wine glasses - they're still in my trailer. Hope you're doing well - Mona (Thelma...or was it Louise?) m
Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
[QUOTE][I would be interested in a poll of AirForum participants: "Do you own a motorcycle? If so, is it a Harley?" I'm guessing that of those AS owners that do own a cycle, a disproportionate number of them would be Harleys.
/QUOTE]

Wait a sec. Before you pigeon hole us let me explain. I dreamt of owning a Harley since I was a kid growing up in Milwaukee. I was proud of the brand and the Phoenix-like rise it made coming out of the AMF dark years. I've met Willie G, my brother-in- law works for them, my neighbors rode them and within a 4 block circle I counted 4 HD employees. I've toured 3 of the 5 major plants with as much interest as the AS mother ship in Jackson because American manufacturing is how I make my living. I enjoy the product AND the culture/brotherhood. Sure the Bean Counters have now begun to screw up a good thing but I'm hoping they rise again.
Plus, my Harley's have been as good or better than my "other" brands I've owned. I'm talking comfort, reliability and easy to maintain.
I'm also a lifetime H.O.G. member. For my payment to join, which was 1/3rd the cost the WBCCI quoted me, I get a full color monthly magazine, towing and trip insurance, exclusive entry to rallies around the globe and discounts on product. Couple that with my cash back Harley US Bank visa which provides me with cash for maintenance, upgrades and new bikes and I've got a hobby that's constantly "funded." Harley knows how to market every aspect of their product.

As a comparison, I left the WBCCI after one year. I attended the Madison WI International rally. It was my fist time camping in my vintage AS. Somewhat disappointing to say the least. The pomp & circumstance and stuffiness of the non-vintage portion was a turn-off. But I Did get to hang out with some great people, including Pee Wee!
My Airstream means as much to me as my bike for similar reasons. I just wish the club experience was as positive. Maybe the Tin Can Tourists would be more my speed.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Madison was a long time ago as far as changes go. My experience with the hog club was that it was a good club for people who wanted driveway jewelry just as some of the new AS owners are interested in. HD are great, unfortunately most owners never use them enough to realize that same as some AS owners. Not meant to criticize anyone, just my opinion. The Wally club offers many pluses to those who use the trailers as they were meant, just wish I could still afford one. Hope this isn't too far off topic, but we do tend to drift.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
We joined WBCCI for the rally potential, did our first last year, another scheduled for this year. I read the forum daily because I am learning from it, and all you experienced ASers. But our routine RVing is with several neighbors with non AS class C's. We'll evaluate Rvillage and see if we benefit as we do with the above two. Don't like it? Don't use it.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
There is a HUGE difference between HOG and WBCCI. HOG has what about a million members and is owned and run by Harley Davidson.

The WBCCI is independent, non-profit organization much smaller.

Really not a fair comparison.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
But there is a similarity between some members attitudes.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
There is a HUGE difference between HOG and WBCCI.

Really not a fair comparison.
Not to mention that the acronym HOG makes much more sense; even a non-member can easily figure out that it means "Harley Owner's Group" once they know it's related to Harley Davidson.

Not so with WBCCI— a non-member has to not only know it's associated with Airstream, but also has to know the history of Airstream to be able to have even a slight chance of figuring out the acronym without being told.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Howie what site did they suggest? I am a WBCCI member and haven't seen any email.
This is the link for the site in question.

http://www.rvillage.com/

Old 02-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I stay out of almost all WBCCI discussions these days, having said my piece years ago....but, that WBCCI is endorsing this brand new RVillage, and encouraging Airstreamers participation in a group with no specific brand name, is unlikely to be for no reason at all...is it?

This Forum and WBCCI are ethnocentric by definition....that one, also by definition, is not...trailers and motor homes, large and small, all brands, shapes and sizes.

Hmmm....

Maggie
Old 02-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
I have been a member of AirForum shy of a year (AS Owner 20 years) and read all new entries daily and probably have close to a little over a hundred post/replies. I have found that the posts, interactions and many posters very helpful with valuable information.

What I find absolutely awful and arcane with regards AirForum is two fold: first, navigating this site reminds me of Microsoft DOS in the 80s. This is by far the least intuitive and clumsy forum/site I have ever participated. Second, AirForum is packed with tons of valuable information, experiences and facts!!! But, doing hyper searchs to find this information is almost useless. Thus the reason there are so many redundant posts. It is not the members or newbie's problem, it's the sites issue. In fact if I want to find information previously posted on AirForum I go and do a goggle search to link me to what I am searching on AirForum . This is not acceptable in today's web sites if you want to remain relevant and competitive.
HERE HERE! I cannot believe that there are still forums using this piece of trash! I don't bother searching for ANYTHING here at all. It's completely POINTLESS!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Seems to me the Google search feature works for me?

Maybe I'm "old school' (I know FORTRAN), but I see know issues with how the site works. Just me I guess?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I joined the site
http://www.rvillage.com/

I see it as another way to connect with like minded campers, who may or may not have an Airstream. Its why I also joined TCT.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
First – I am no longer a member of the WBCCI; I had been a member from 2005 to 2012, but while the early years of my membership were educational (learning about my AS, rallies and caravans), changes made without due process to the unit’s bylaws were not acceptable to me, particularly where head office (including a PIP said he would fight to prevent such a change to be brought up to International, but did squat against the change at the unit level) did nothing, presumably because this was the Ontario Canada Unit and they felt it was a “Canadian issue". The change was to disallow having firearms, ammo, fireworks or explosives in your AS – I do trap shooting and target shooting and hand-loading, and I'm not prepared to drop this in order to be a member of any RV club. I was also called a “right-wing red neck” by one of the unit’s member, who likened this new prohibition to one promoting same-sex marriage.

Secondly – I have been a member of the Escapees since 2008. I have attended two Escapades (I also attended 2 WBCCI Internationals). The Escapades were much friendlier and more enjoyable than the WBCCI Internationals – also quite a bit less expensive. I’ve camped alongside and met members of different Escapees groups (Boondockers, Geocachers, Prospectors & Metal Detectors, as well as the Silver Bullets). A major benefit of the Escapees is their campgrounds, and we are leaseholders at one of their co-ops in Arizona.

Last year I met an RV’er who was a member of RVillage and we did join – mainly to be able to keep in touch with these friends. We’re not “active” in RVillage, but I won’t knock it.

I do support Air Forums - it is a veritable cornucopia of valuable information.

None of the club issues have any bearing upon my ownership of my old AS; I am totally happy with it. Between our winters in the south and some summer travels we live about 6 months of the year in our AS and tow it about 15,000 miles per year. All of my AS maintenance is done at JC and that includes any modifications. AS has been doing very well in their sales of new units – about 2,500/year and the number of AS’s on the road is, percentage-wise, increasing at a greater rate than he membership of the WBCCI.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
Closed Thread