Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Redgranite , Wisconsin
[QUOTE][I would be interested in a poll of AirForum participants: "Do you own a motorcycle? If so, is it a Harley?" I'm guessing that of those AS owners that do own a cycle, a disproportionate number of them would be Harleys.
/QUOTE]

Wait a sec. Before you pigeon hole us let me explain. I dreamt of owning a Harley since I was a kid growing up in Milwaukee. I was proud of the brand and the Phoenix-like rise it made coming out of the AMF dark years. I've met Willie G, my brother-in- law works for them, my neighbors rode them and within a 4 block circle I counted 4 HD employees. I've toured 3 of the 5 major plants with as much interest as the AS mother ship in Jackson because American manufacturing is how I make my living. I enjoy the product AND the culture/brotherhood. Sure the Bean Counters have now begun to screw up a good thing but I'm hoping they rise again.
Plus, my Harley's have been as good or better than my "other" brands I've owned. I'm talking comfort, reliability and easy to maintain.
I'm also a lifetime H.O.G. member. For my payment to join, which was 1/3rd the cost the WBCCI quoted me, I get a full color monthly magazine, towing and trip insurance, exclusive entry to rallies around the globe and discounts on product. Couple that with my cash back Harley US Bank visa which provides me with cash for maintenance, upgrades and new bikes and I've got a hobby that's constantly "funded." Harley knows how to market every aspect of their product.

As a comparison, I left the WBCCI after one year. I attended the Madison WI International rally. It was my fist time camping in my vintage AS. Somewhat disappointing to say the least. The pomp & circumstance and stuffiness of the non-vintage portion was a turn-off. But I Did get to hang out with some great people, including Pee Wee!
My Airstream means as much to me as my bike for similar reasons. I just wish the club experience was as positive. Maybe the Tin Can Tourists would be more my speed.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Madison was a long time ago as far as changes go. My experience with the hog club was that it was a good club for people who wanted driveway jewelry just as some of the new AS owners are interested in. HD are great, unfortunately most owners never use them enough to realize that same as some AS owners. Not meant to criticize anyone, just my opinion. The Wally club offers many pluses to those who use the trailers as they were meant, just wish I could still afford one. Hope this isn't too far off topic, but we do tend to drift.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:19 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
We joined WBCCI for the rally potential, did our first last year, another scheduled for this year. I read the forum daily because I am learning from it, and all you experienced ASers. But our routine RVing is with several neighbors with non AS class C's. We'll evaluate Rvillage and see if we benefit as we do with the above two. Don't like it? Don't use it.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
There is a HUGE difference between HOG and WBCCI. HOG has what about a million members and is owned and run by Harley Davidson.

The WBCCI is independent, non-profit organization much smaller.

Really not a fair comparison.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
But there is a similarity between some members attitudes.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
There is a HUGE difference between HOG and WBCCI.

Really not a fair comparison.
Not to mention that the acronym HOG makes much more sense; even a non-member can easily figure out that it means "Harley Owner's Group" once they know it's related to Harley Davidson.

Not so with WBCCI— a non-member has to not only know it's associated with Airstream, but also has to know the history of Airstream to be able to have even a slight chance of figuring out the acronym without being told.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Howie what site did they suggest? I am a WBCCI member and haven't seen any email.
This is the link for the site in question.

http://www.rvillage.com/

Old 02-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I stay out of almost all WBCCI discussions these days, having said my piece years ago....but, that WBCCI is endorsing this brand new RVillage, and encouraging Airstreamers participation in a group with no specific brand name, is unlikely to be for no reason at all...is it?

This Forum and WBCCI are ethnocentric by definition....that one, also by definition, is not...trailers and motor homes, large and small, all brands, shapes and sizes.

Hmmm....

Maggie
Old 02-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
I have been a member of AirForum shy of a year (AS Owner 20 years) and read all new entries daily and probably have close to a little over a hundred post/replies. I have found that the posts, interactions and many posters very helpful with valuable information.

What I find absolutely awful and arcane with regards AirForum is two fold: first, navigating this site reminds me of Microsoft DOS in the 80s. This is by far the least intuitive and clumsy forum/site I have ever participated. Second, AirForum is packed with tons of valuable information, experiences and facts!!! But, doing hyper searchs to find this information is almost useless. Thus the reason there are so many redundant posts. It is not the members or newbie's problem, it's the sites issue. In fact if I want to find information previously posted on AirForum I go and do a goggle search to link me to what I am searching on AirForum . This is not acceptable in today's web sites if you want to remain relevant and competitive.
HERE HERE! I cannot believe that there are still forums using this piece of trash! I don't bother searching for ANYTHING here at all. It's completely POINTLESS!

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
Old 02-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Seems to me the Google search feature works for me?

Maybe I'm "old school' (I know FORTRAN), but I see know issues with how the site works. Just me I guess?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I joined the site
http://www.rvillage.com/

I see it as another way to connect with like minded campers, who may or may not have an Airstream. Its why I also joined TCT.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 02-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
First – I am no longer a member of the WBCCI; I had been a member from 2005 to 2012, but while the early years of my membership were educational (learning about my AS, rallies and caravans), changes made without due process to the unit’s bylaws were not acceptable to me, particularly where head office (including a PIP said he would fight to prevent such a change to be brought up to International, but did squat against the change at the unit level) did nothing, presumably because this was the Ontario Canada Unit and they felt it was a “Canadian issue". The change was to disallow having firearms, ammo, fireworks or explosives in your AS – I do trap shooting and target shooting and hand-loading, and I'm not prepared to drop this in order to be a member of any RV club. I was also called a “right-wing red neck” by one of the unit’s member, who likened this new prohibition to one promoting same-sex marriage.

Secondly – I have been a member of the Escapees since 2008. I have attended two Escapades (I also attended 2 WBCCI Internationals). The Escapades were much friendlier and more enjoyable than the WBCCI Internationals – also quite a bit less expensive. I’ve camped alongside and met members of different Escapees groups (Boondockers, Geocachers, Prospectors & Metal Detectors, as well as the Silver Bullets). A major benefit of the Escapees is their campgrounds, and we are leaseholders at one of their co-ops in Arizona.

Last year I met an RV’er who was a member of RVillage and we did join – mainly to be able to keep in touch with these friends. We’re not “active” in RVillage, but I won’t knock it.

I do support Air Forums - it is a veritable cornucopia of valuable information.

None of the club issues have any bearing upon my ownership of my old AS; I am totally happy with it. Between our winters in the south and some summer travels we live about 6 months of the year in our AS and tow it about 15,000 miles per year. All of my AS maintenance is done at JC and that includes any modifications. AS has been doing very well in their sales of new units – about 2,500/year and the number of AS’s on the road is, percentage-wise, increasing at a greater rate than he membership of the WBCCI.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
Old 02-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
blkmagikca

You have been a victim of what is killing our democratic way of life. In all to many cases, I would almost go so far as to say in all cases, our governing regulations are proposed by zealots. While this may work in smaller organizations where everyone shares the same common goals it can not work in larger ones. Examples of this failure include many of the regulations proposed by the 2 coastal medias here in the US. Picking up dog droppings on the streets of New York does not play well in the middle of America farm country. Gun restrictions in schools does not play well in Alaska where students often carry for bear protection.

Now those are extreme examples of zealots, attempting to apply to the greater society, what they would like to have in their back yards. They each sound good when presented on national tv but then the majority of those watching tv may just have a sidewalk or backyards and can't see beyond the fence. WBBCI is a victim of this change in our society and the principle reason behind my title of "The WBCCI They Just Don't Get IT"

If they want to grow the membership they will have to look over the fence and see what is on the other side.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #42
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
On the positive side of the WBCCI expanding the marketing effort, RVillage does not charge for the club's marketing presence as opposed to Airforums.

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
Closed Thread