Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Consider the $65 a year as your entry ticket to a broadway of activities. You do not need to participate in them all to get your money's worth. The majority of the $360,000 collected in member dues goes to pay the 5 people at the Jackson Center Headquarters ($200,000). Recently, they have reduced the national and Regional officer travel expense allowance for their travel to sponsored events.

If the members would accept less participation of the officers in local events, we could cut it some more. We need to use more electronic communication than face time, but this a group of old people, who think face time has a higher value than verbal or electronic communication. The club does need to do some "lean" budgeting and rightsizing the management structure to reallocate how the monies are spent. The club is only 6,000 members and we have the same management structure as 30 years ago when we had 23,000 members and communications were in the dark ages. The number of officers that have part of their travel expenses paid has been 43 in all those years. We need to reduce that number down to around 19.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If I'm reading the number correctly, the Heartland Owners Club has approximately 1000 members, and one full-time employee. I think that there is a bit of back-office help provided, and there is some financial backing from Heartland, but that's it. Dues are $60 to join for the first three years, and $18/year thereafter.

Granted, the HOC doesn't do all of the activities that WBCCI does, but it seems that the ratio of employees to members is a bit off in WBCCI. I think dwightdi has a pretty good handle on things.

Since we don't own an Airstream (yet), I'm a bit of an outsider here. Should we buy an Airstream, we'll look at the benefits we would get for the $65/year cost, and decide whether that membership would be worth it for us. I understand that the factory provides little, if any, support for WBCCI, so I would expect that dues would be higher than for HOC, which has some factory support. I have been rather confused about all of the "chiefs" in the club, and just how the dues-paying members are connected to the people at the very top. The structure appears to be what may have been needed when the membership was several times what it now is, so perhaps it might be time to look at what the structure was years ago when the membership was closer to the current number, and then reduce it to allow for the current communication technology.

I am looking forward to a brief visit in Sedalia this summer. By then my wife's foot should be much closer to being normal again (surgery around Thanksgiving), so she will be able to come along and visit too.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I just bought my Airstream (2012 Interstate class B) back in late December, and enquired through the WBCCI web page about joining that organization less than two weeks ago. I mailed off my dues last week, and haven't yet received a membership number, mainly because of the rally being held in Hattiesburg that has apparently kept everyone busy. But that's okay, because my Airstream has been in the shop getting an alarm system installed— there's a story behind that— so I wouldn't have been using it anyway.

Despite not even getting a membership number yet, already I've heard back from two WBCCI Unit members, one in the Unit I decided to join (Greater New Orleans, just because I live here) and one in a neighboring unit that I may join as an associate member unless I switch my unit affiliation next year, and already have an invitation to a monthly luncheon meeting being held next Saturday so I can meet some of my fellow WBCCI members.

The reason I decided to join WBCCI in the first place was to have fun in my Airstream. My coworkers, neighbors, and extended family for the most part are not RVers and don't understand either the appeal or the inherent tribulations, so WBCCI will serve to introduce me to a whole new group of people who share my interest, and who are fellow Airstream owners to boot. That alone is worth the membership dues, I think, even if my career ends up keeps me from attending most of the rallies or caravans until I can afford to retire.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Join a unit which has monthly rallies.
You don't need to buy an Airstream to go to lunch.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
New Orleans Crowd

Protagonist,

Just this past October I met several units from your area at a rally in South Carolina. Not sure exactly what unit they belong to but probably the GNO since they lived all around the lake area, as I recall. What a great bunch of fun and very friendly people. I was invited to their daily happy hour and you know that the food and drink was great. Never seen them before in my life but I didn't meet any strangers if you know what I mean. You'll certainly be in good company with them.

Are you aware of the Mardi Gras rally? All of the folks that I met told me about it and are going to attend. It may be booked up for trailers/coaches by now but it may be possible to get in on some of their activities. If I remember correctly the rally is parking at UNO. From my experience of having lived in NO and having been to Mardi Gras, both sides of the river, I would think that this is a great rally to attend. Have fun either way.
TB
Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Join a unit which has monthly rallies.
You don't need to buy an Airstream to go to lunch.
True enough. That would be like private pilots and their thousand-dollar hamburgers, where they rack up flight hours by flying someplace just to buy lunch and then fly back home the same day.

I joined a local unit not because of their rally schedule, which may or may not mesh well with my work schedule, but rather because they are close by, and whatever events they do hold will be easier to attend given that aforementioned work schedule.

I honestly don't know yet if my local unit holds monthly rallies; I'll find out when I meet them for lunch. Given a choice between getting information about the Club from one member over the phone, and getting the same information from a bunch of members over a good meal in a social setting, I'd much rather do it over lunch. Everybody has to start somewhere, and it's as good a start as any.

Hopefully I'll get my poor abused Airstream back from the shop this week, fixed up good as new and with an alarm system to help deter future burglaries. After that, I still have some more outfitting to do to get it ready for use. Only then will it make any difference to me where and when the local unit is holding a rally.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Bluto, and Protagonist,

The Georgia Unit is a bit of a haul for you, but we do have a beautiful campground located in the North Georgia Mountains just north of Helen. Any Airstream is welcome for a night to check things out. WBCCI members are welcome anytime for any length at just $7 per night (less on a monthly basis). During the summer months we have a rally each month (April-September) In the winter things are quieter and one of the two loops is closed, but the park is open year-round.

We were hesitant to join after reading about the international segments problems, but are very happy we found a great unit. Also, being a glass half full guy, I hold out hope that things will improve on the international level over time.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have another question about the International rallies. I have read that at the international that there are full hookups. Is this right? Is that the case no matter which section you are in, and does it change from rally to rally?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I have another question about the International rallies. I have read that at the international that there are full hookups. Is this right? Is that the case no matter which section you are in, and does it change from rally to rally?
I have not personally been to an International rally where there were full hookups, defined as 30 or 50 Amp electric, water, and sewer. I believe there have been some. Perry, GA and possibly Gillette, WY for example.

At the most recent one in DuQuoin we did have 30 A electric and water, with sewage taken care of by a pump-out truck.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Sedalia (2012) will be full hookups
Huron (2013) will be water and electricity with pump out service
Gillette (2014) will be full hookups

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
The last several rallies have been full hookup or semi-full hookup. For DuQuoin, we had all the power in the world, but they had to manually dump us.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks!