Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
WBCCI 'pedigree' history of AS trailers...

I think WBCCI is missing out on a HUGE potential to provide "pedigree" history of each trailer that it has in it's database.
I know the numbers were assigned to owners rather than to trailers, but WBCCI could use the trailer serial numbers it has (that was used to document trailer-to-owner), and re-create a documented history of each trailer. People would actually pay money to know the previous owners (last) names, and where the trailer was located, as well as all of the documented rallies that the owners attended (hence the trailer "attended").
Too bad it's too much "work" for WBCCI to do this. Everyone I know wants to know the history of their AS.
WBCCI is "stepping over a dime to get to a nickel".
Maybe someone in Airforums has some "pull" with WBCCI, and could encourage them to consider this.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
I think WBCCI is missing out on a HUGE potential to provide "pedigree" history of each trailer that it has in it's database.
I know the numbers were assigned to owners rather than to trailers, but WBCCI could use the trailer serial numbers it has (that was used to document trailer-to-owner), and re-create a documented history of each trailer. People would actually pay money to know the previous owners (last) names, and where the trailer was located, as well as all of the documented rallies that the owners attended (hence the trailer "attended").
Too bad it's too much "work" for WBCCI to do this. Everyone I know wants to know the history of their AS.
Maybe someone in Airforums has some "pull" with WBCCI, and could encourage them to consider this.
I too think that this would be great idea and would even be willing to donate some volunteer time to help make it happen. But alas, I'm not a member of the WBCCI.

Cheers,
Rion

GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
To my knowledge, the only time the WBCCI receives a serial number is when the original application is completed. For subsequent renewals, the only information is the type of Airstream owned, ie Trailer, Class A, Class B or Class C. Therefore the information is not available to prepare or maintain such a database.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Unfortunately the current Federal Privacy Laws would kill this one before it got started

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Unfortunately the current Federal Privacy Laws would kill this one before it got started
Pthhhbt. Laws.

Laws shmaws is what I say...

Seriously though, as much as I love this idea and would pay for this info myself, it does seem very difficult to do legally unless they had specifically asked the previous owners permission. This could be done when signing up, like "By checking this box, you are allowing the information provided above to be indexed and supplied to future owners of your trailer".

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Getting an ok to publish would not help for the 100,000 Airstreams that have already been made. Only 10% of the remaining Airstreams are in the club now anyway. Having 90% of the people who own Airstreams not seeing enough value in joining the club should tell the leaders and us something. Per Airstream's records for last year, only 6-7% of new Airstreams were sold to club members.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
You are the answer....

Edglenn,

I want to step in on this and offer some insight on the topic. First of all, I will repeat the items that need addressing and respond to them.

Quote:
I for one will stand up and say that the office staff is plenty busy doing the clubs business. They atr not sitting there changing their nail colors each day. For them to try to manage this task with the tools they have (and have had the past 20 plus years) would not be possible.
Quote:
The office staff, who would be the only real entity to manage such a task, has to practically beg for new computers in the office. Budgets are tight and the rest of the WBCCI leadership just might not see the value of such a project as you and I do. I also want to see such a numbers archive materialize.
Quote:
Members of the AirForums do have pull, as do the members of the WBCCI. But not in the way that you imagine. The data you are talking about has not always been maintained on a computer. And for the years that it was maintained on a computer, backups may not exist which would make possible a fast way to compile the data to an archive that we all could use.
Here is the current status of that if there is one. The new Electronic Communications Committee has taken on the task of rebuilding the database system the club is now using. The old system is antiquated and a quote of $14,000 or something like that has been made to upgrade the system the office staff is using. Do you start to see the obstacles the office staff are having to jump through? We simply do not have that kind of money laying around.
The answer however is quite simple - rely on volunteer member efforts to solve the problem. We have lots of members with skills who can save the club money where it does not need to spend it. For minimal cost, we should be able to modernize that database structure and start to archive that data so a record is kept. One thing that can help, if you REALLY want to see such an archive, is to start compiling that data yourself in a format that could be used to include in any new database structure so that a more complete history can be maintained.
Are you up for that? If so, we may be able to get you some past membership directories that you can start typing in the data - archives for which no digital data exists. We could use your help! Are you ready for the task? There are a few members who have directories that go WAY BACK, perhaps those can be digitized and then OCR'd into a format that could be uploaded to a database. In any event, it isn't going to be the office staff or some enigmatic WBCCI entity that will suddenly do this - it is us, the members of WBCCI who have to take this task on and make it happen for the rest of the members of the club.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Since this same question/comment was also posted in two different threads, before seeing it here, I had already answered it there: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ml#post1060852

The basic point is that Airstream serial number data was not retained and caravan dats was only retained in the paper Membership Directories in most cases. None of it was ever retained in any electronic form. Given that the data was not retained years and decades ago in the suggested format, there is no easy way to recreate it at this point. Can you imagine the effort that would be required to digitize 50+ years of paper membership directories that were mostly between 200 and 500 pages in length?
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I totally agree with Buttercup, this is a doable project, it just needs someone to step up and do it. The club has a copy of all the directories back to the beginning at Jackson Center. Who is willing to spend a few days/weeks in Jackson Center to scan and OCR thousands of pages? If you have the desire and time, contact me and we can make this happen.

Damon Beals
Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
But going through the past directories will not give you any information on any individual trailer only the owners.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
I totally agree with Buttercup, this is a doable project, it just needs someone to step up and do it. The club has a copy of all the directories back to the beginning at Jackson Center. Who is willing to spend a few days/weeks in Jackson Center to scan and OCR thousands of pages? If you have the desire and time, contact me and we can make this happen.

Damon Beals
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
The VAC actually has a few years of trailer serial numbers tied to WBCCI numbers. But not enough to work with really.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote