Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2002, 10:02 AM   #1
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Red face WBCCI participation

I attended my first WBCCI Rally this past weekend and I gotta ask.

Even though I have thought at length about how to ask these questions without showing my cards or offending anyone, please understand that I come with hat in hand.........

Is it unethical to drink at WBCCI events? I also noticed that there was a religous influence in all of the entertainment.

Me and my wife both like to drink alcohol while camping and at other outdoor events.

My family is all Christians that believe in God and Jesus but, we are on the uphill side of life and we like to let our hair down.

I could be mistaken but I felt a little out of place while attending the rally. although the folks were very friendly and warm, I did not notice anyone consuming alcohol and it was very obviuos that the entertainment was of a faithful origin.

I respect these enviroments and cultures but I feel that it is important for me to understand the WBCCI.

I have researched at length the WBCCI and I do not see anywhere that the organization is of the Missionary position or a religous following.

Am I mistaken or am I in the wrong crowd?

With the greatest respect,
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:39 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
No takers?

What did I say??????

Are there no opinions out there or is this an unspoken subject?

Smily
Old 10-22-2002, 10:56 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

So....
Are you asking if Jesus would have felt out of place turning water into wine at a WBCCI rally?
Mr.InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:56 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Hi Smily:
I've been a member of WBCCI for 3-4 years, but only attended one rally with them (too frigging busy) and am going to a VAC rally this week. I would say that the WBCCI folks are fairly conservative, but at the rally I went to we did have a "happy hour" where nearly everyone brought a glass of wine or cocktail. I see that the VAC rally which we are attending this week in California has a "Day of Wineries" on their itenary. I didn't notice any religious connotations at the rally I attended, but they were a fairly serious and older group. Have you explored attending another local WBCCI group (if they have one) in your region or a Vintage Airstream Club outing since they are much younger and more likely to party. My girlfiend and I, like you and yours, like to enjoy a good Margarita (or two) when we go camping and I see nothing wrong with that.
John
1958 Flying Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:10 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Birds of a feather

I have actually been thinking exactly that,

The VAC that is.

I figure that it is a crowd of people that like restoration projects and are a liitle more physically capable that can work on the more affordable AS.

Not that I dont look forward to my older years when I too can afford a maintenance free, new, Airstream Motor home.

The rally I went to was a state rally with two units attending. I have not given up and labeled this book as read. (past tense)

We are going to attend the local chapter rally in November. I anticipate that it will be a little looser crowd, (and I am hoping).

I am looking forward to being a part of this community but just dont want to muddy the Holy Waters.

Thanks for the reply and I hope that we can fly together someday
Old 10-22-2002, 11:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Actually, we have attended 3 WBCCI and 1 VAC Rallies this year. At each one there was an organized "Happy Hour" in which people brought snacks to share and beverages of their choice...and yes, some "adult beverages" were present! At the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally, we even had a keg donated from the local micro-brewery New Belgium Brewery. They own an Airstream that they take on the road with them to company events (shown in the picture below).

We too enjoy a good margarita, glass of wine, port or scotch while camping and it has never been discouraged. Even those who chose not to have a drink (or 2?) never frowned upon those of us that do chose to partake.

You may need to check out several different WBCCI Units to find one that "fits" your lifestyle better. It's true, the VAC bunch tends to be a "younger crowd", although in our unit the two groups "play nicely together".

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	road.jpg
Views:	1235
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	707  
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I like the line about "new maintenance free " Airstream Motorhome!
Hey, not knockin' em but I am willing to bet nothing is maintenace free for very long..

As for the WBCCI some of you may know my experience here in GA. It was not fun. I let my membership go this year
Come to the Mystic Springs Rally in April if you can- it is sure to be fun, and educational, not necessarily in that order.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:15 PM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Where is Mystic?

Alan,
Where is Mystic Springs and can you point me to the post about your experience with the WBCCI?

Smily
Old 10-22-2002, 12:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
WBCCI Participation

Greetings Smily!

A wise friend, and mentor advised me when I joined WBCCI and began attending rallies and other functions to observe the decorum of the situation. Over the past eight years, I have attended many functions both WBCCI and VAC. There is one thing that became obvious, especially at those events under the auspices of the WBCCI, discrete consumption of alcoholic beverages was acceptable - - but to maintain the "family oriented atmosphere" beverage containers should be disguised.

For the functions that I have attended, I have always found the welcome to be warm and genuine. Each function seems to have its own unique decorum as well as approach to the given situation.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:52 PM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Disguised

I did notice that almost all of the beverages were in a "personalized" container. There were almost no off the shelf containers whether they be alcoholic or not.

I did pick up on this but unfortunately not until I had already hit the front lines with beer can in hand.

I am a little embarrassed but I will get over it.

I have always said:

"You set precedence when you walk in the door",

" Show up late on the first day and they will never expect you to be on time"

So cheers!

Smily

P.S. It would be nice if there was an etiquette book or guidline that points these little things ou to new comers.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:11 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Smily,

I would have to say as a 10 year WBCCI member that enjoys an "adult beverage" or 2, or 3, I have never felt uncomfortable regarding a bottle or can of beer. At the rally we were at last weekend I saw more than a few members with a bottle of beer (my self included) at happy hour. Some were even drinking WINE!!!!!

The religous theme you mentioned is almost allways present, but usally in a prayer before meals and the pledge of alliagence prior to a business meeting. If there was more than tha then this particulair unit may not be for you and yours. Each one is diffrent and you need to find a good fit. I have not yet had a chance to attend a VAC rally but look forward to when I have the time to do so.

To answer your question on Mystic Springs it is in the Pensacola area of Fl. It is an Airstream club owned park and is very nice. The Rally last year was a blast, but this year we want more folks to have fun with (sorry for the thread drift).

So I say chalk the rally up as a learning experience and try another unit/rally. You have many units in your area to try. Heck if I can get away for the Region 3 rally in Willamsburg and you can too, I will buy you and yours the beverage of your choice.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:25 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Smiley

Except for a "devotional" on Sunday morning, from which I politely excused myself, I didn't notice any undue religious fervor at the one rally I have attended, and I am very definitely not one of a religious bent. I noticed a few beer cans here and there and heard a few references to "having a beer."

WBCCI, like the TrailManor club that I belonged to with my old trailer is mostly composed of older, conservative folks and does tend toward saying "Grace", and the like. I have no problem with that as long as my views are respected.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:28 PM   #13
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Huge thanks

Thanks for the round.

I am actually from Pensacola. Our last house was on Eight mile creek road just past the KOA campground.

Anyway, I did not intend to peg the rally as square or as religous fanatics. I just wanted to know that I was not out of place or order. Maybe I was a little over sensitive or just self conscious.

The people were very friendly and warm. I am certain that there are many more to meet. I am going to go to the local rally and hold my head up high, ( maybe my brewski too).

I appreciate all of the input and guidance from my fellow WBCCI members and others.

Thanks,
Smily

Old 10-22-2002, 01:32 PM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Talking Airstreamer time

I forgot to mention something regarding "Airstreamer time"

The sayng I have always heard is "If you are on time to an Airstream rally event you are late". At some of the bigger rallies when there is a catered dinner the line to get in will sometimes start 30-45 min. before the door opens. So don't worry about being late to happy hour or dinner. Again I will say if the unit's that you visited with are not for you move on and find the right one. It is out there.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 06:39 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

pinopolis , South Carolina
Smily I will also be at the next rally in Walterboro. I enjoy the Jack Daniels and so do others there. I will have one with with you at the happy hour.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:42 AM   #16
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Welcome aboard

Fred,
I have heard the lore of your restorations and I am looking forward to meeting you. I recently joined the Coastal unit and all of the folks I have spoke to think that you and I are neighbors until I explain that Pinopolis and Pimlico are not quite the same place.

I look forward to a nice stiff jack daniels at the Green Acres Campground.

Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 01:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Smily,
While not a member of WBCCI, it would seem that they should have well rounded activities in which members could participate or not. I drank like a fish while in college until I wised up and started studying. I enjoy a good Jack Daniels, Rum and Coke or Margarita as well as a wine cooler now and then. Those members not wishing to attend a happy hour could have an alternative activity. I could see that there is a segment of the population who have different opinions about alcohol and do not wish to have their children around those partaking of the consumption. They should have that right and feel free to go to another activity. I grew up going to church every Sunday and every once in a while my mother would say that we have to be seen in church. I now go when I feel a need and for what I feel are special times during the year, not to be seen by others. If I felt that I was being pressured to attend a Sunday morning service because every other member would be there then it would be a turnoff. These are just a few of my thoughts because before I ever joined a local unit, I'd sure want to know that I would be comfortable fitting in (sort of like joining my fraternity during college, that is another story).

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:41 PM   #18
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Good point

I agree that there should not be children subjected to Drunken stupor, but there are parents with these children and it is somewhat a responsibility to monitor the situation just as well that the drinking adult should be aware that there are children around.

Most importantly, I agree that there should be alternative activities for those that are not attracted to the drinking crowd.

This would maybe create some divide in the WBCCI attendees but I believe it is inevitable that the WBCCI will become, (if not already) stereo-typed as straight laces.

I am by no means out to cast stones or offend. As a matter of fact, I have only attended one rally and I am trying to keep my mind open.

I have already had to defend the WBCCI with my co-workers who definitely have stereotyped the WBCCI as "old folk fun"

The retired / older generation have been the only ones who could afford the Airstream way of life but time marches on and evolution is inevitable. The younger crowd is slowly but surely moving into the Airstreaming world and we will want to be members of the WBCCI.

To all of the senior community, I apologize if I have offended but please understand that we just want to be part of the crowd but not judged.

Very respectfully,
Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 02:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Smily,
I didn't take any of your remarks as being negative in any way. I am open minded and feel that people have different wishes and desires. I took your comments as an observation of the rally you attended and you were wondering if all WBCCI rallies were of the same nature. If I were in your shoes I would have asked the same thing. At almost 52 yrs. old, I like different music than my 15, 17, 18 and 22 yr. old children. There have been times I have had to close bedroom doors or even tell them to never play a particular song or record because of extremely vulgar language or it is one of those "cop killer" songs. I can cuss with the best of them if I have to but I figure it is my house and there have to be certain rules. Most of the time they respect that but they slip up every once in awhile. Now if I could just get my 17 yr. old to hike his bluejeans up just a little higher so I can't see his underwear. Wedgies worked on my 22 yr. old to the point he got tired of me sneaking up on him but this 17 yr. old has a little thicker skull.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:01 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I decided to use a coolie on my liquid refreshments. While this isn't an exact picture of my coolie, I've replaced the initials with the word Airstream.

Jack
Attached Images

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote