Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2002, 08:34 PM   #61
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
yes i was having fun,

as for edie, i know she is just kidding. right?

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:40 PM   #62
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
John,

As a native Wisconsinite and her husband I can assure you she was kidding . We enjoyed Bucky Ball when we lived there and I still watch it once in a while. It sounds and looks like you had a grand time at the rally. Now if we could only get some of your cooler weather down here!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:48 PM   #63
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cheeze heads

i thought you guys were from wisconsin, too bad the badgers aren't playing well this year.

however, it looks like the packers may go all the way this year!

this pretty much sums up my attitude on camping!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:55 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Mixed Marriage

Truth be told, I married a Yankee. Brett is from WI, but I am a Floridian.

I had heard that mixed marriages can be difficult, but we seem to be able to work through the differences.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:55 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Nice Blunt!!!

John HD,

On my way back home from B.C., I stopped over in Stevens Point to visit with some friends, but I didn't know they had those big BLUNTS up there. I wish I knew it, since I don't drink!
John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:51 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Talking WB Club

READ MY LIPS, Camping is supposed to be fun! Wheels does it all. It is what gives us our mobility! Don't camp to get tied down in tradition or regimentation!! It's freedom that we bye with our mony and our efforts...... Read the thread "......longest trip in an AS......." That's what RVing is all about . That's why I left organized camping....{Coast to Coast & Camp Ground Memberships, etc } been jerked around enough by them.... Enjoy! Tom
Old 11-06-2002, 10:21 AM   #67
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Local Rally

I Went to the local Unit Rally this past weekend.

As I said before I am willing to read the whole book and I recommend that others do also. The folks were very friendly and warm. Not only were they warm they were genuinely concerned of my opinions and well being.

Apparently some of the members had reviewed this thread and were quick to dissolve my concerns about the State Rally in SC.

It was apparent that these folks were not about to be stereo-typed or branded as "we are all the same".

I was fortunate enough to witness the installation of Officers of the Unit for the year to come. The installation was performed by the Region President. The President was very adamant about the fortune of being part of one of the best Local Units that he is aware of.

We had our toddler with us and I will admit that we were the only ones there with children but we were welcomed just the same. The folks literally "grand parented" our toddler all weekend.

It was an experience that all should witness and be a part of. There were all ages and walks of life, Doctors, Carpenters, Salepeople, self employed entrepreneurs and even some who are fortunate enough to not have to work anymore.

After completing the first Chapter of this saga and wondering what lied in the campgrounds ahead, I have completed the second chapter. I have gained even more enthusiasm about participating in the adventures and comraderie of being a member of the WBCCI.

This Unit is definitely people oriented and did not come across as being judgemental.

They too are looking for fresh air to be breathed into the the WBCCI and I say to thee, give it a go and and join the WBCCI.

Graciously,
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 10:32 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Glad everything has worked out and your worries alleved! I contacted our local unit membership chairman the other night and was very impressed with the friendliness and willingness to talk to a complete stranger. The first impression was great, we are looking forward to at least visiting our first rally to see what it's all about with much enthusiasm.

Jason
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:28 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Smile

Smily:

Our experience last weekend was exactly like yours. We went on our first rally. The people were friendly, they made it clear that we were to free to participate in any or all activities we chose, and they all went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

They presented us with name tags, and they all wore theirs, even though they have all known each other for 10, 20, or 30 years.

Everything was what we had hoped. I would encourage everyone to give the club a try. Next month we will go to the installation of new officers...

PS: I still wonder about the unwritten rule that no alcohol containers be seen, but I'll work on that in the months to come.
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:22 AM   #70
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Survey for WBCCI

Looks like there is a survey for all who are interested or have thought of joining the WBCCI.

The survey allows interested parties to convey their opinions and interests in the WBCCI events and memberships including, rally attractions, fees, locations, membership drives, entertainment and family participation.

I have filled out this survey and I would personally request and recommend that all members take the ten or fifteen minutes to fill it out and send it back.

This survey will hopefully influence the WBCCI to focus on membership recruiting and retention.

The WBCCI has been around for a long time and will be around for a long time to come.

So if the response rate is high, the rallies and events will get better and attractive to all walks of life including the working class with children. (like me).

It is apparent that most of us here on this forum are proud to be part of a great tradition and I think many would like to get together in the rallies if the rallies were well rounded and exciting for all of us proud owners of the American dream.

Please request your survey and fill it out at this link.

http://www.geocities.com/ksmillie/WBCCI_Survey.html

Smily
Old 11-19-2002, 11:00 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Rivet

I wish someone would have told the Georgia Unit how it is supposed to be. My one rally was so disheartening I let the WBCCI membership go after the first year. We tried it...

I want to add though that I do not wish to discourage anyone from joining WBCCI based on my quite limited experience!!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:31 PM   #72
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Thumbs up Second rally

I just attended my second rally with the Region 9, Highland Lakes Unit. Both rallies were great fun and I'm looking forward to the next rally the first full weekend in December.

My wife is still working, so I was alone (except for my cat). I could not have asked for a better reception.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #73
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
I participated and love it

Well it has been a fun road to travel.

Since my first rally I have been to many unit rallies and I am looking forward to going to the North Carolina State Rally at Cape Hatteras this September folowed by my second South Carolina State Rally in October.

I have consumed many beverages without judgement from my fellow WBCCI members and have grown very attached to the comraderie.

I have enjoyed it so much that I volunteered as a Recording Secretary for the year to follow.

My wife has even grown to enjoy thie folks and the outings each month.

Morale of this story is:

Try it and see for yourself, I believe that you too will enjoy the WBCCI

Smily
Old 06-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #74
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To be honest, I got the year membership after buying the Bambi. The newsletters seem a bit stale. I am sure the folks there are real nice at a rally, but I have heard both good and bad about the rallys in general. They jury is still out if I will retain the membership after it expires.

Truth be told, I've had a blast meeing some of the folks on this forum. To be honest, that is worth more to me than spending the $$ to join a club. We kind of have our own little club here and it's and International one at that. Still I am still thinking about benefits vs. cost regarding WBCCI.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:18 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I guess we are with AlanSD....just today a letter came from Robert Cooke, President, Southern Arizona Unit, WBCCI--the unit is being disbanded; our dues are still good with the AZ Unit.

We had hoped for locally started caravans--you guys in the East are more active in this I guess...they all start east of the Mississippi

Having not attended any rallies, cannot give/do not have an opinion; the Southern Arizona Unit seems to have a breakfast at some hotel....(this is an Airstream activity? )

AND I am not certain I wish my WBCCI# traceable--
How do I get the decals off when I am not longer interested (I never put them on) and not leave marks?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:26 PM   #76
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't know for sure, but the crowds that WBCCI draws I am not sure reflects that of the younger generation that is buying the Airstreams. It's not shocking to me that chapters are closing. As a matter of fact, given the way the group seems to operate with local members vs. the main group, I personally am unsure WBCCI will grow any larger if exist at all in the future. Sure there are stronger groups than others, but it's been my perception from the newsletters and the folks out there that change is coming slowly to WBCCI and too slowly at that. This is part of the thought process I am thinking about as the renewal date comes due. I have also refused to place the numbers on the hull of the Twinkie, and might never place them on. I think to some diehard Airstreamers it's an ego or status thing, direct opposites of why I bought the Airstream or camp in general compared to going to hotels, etc.

Just my .02.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:16 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Try it before you decide

Like several others have voiced, we had some SEVERE concerns regarding the WBCCI. I knew it had the reputation as a old, conservative, rule-bound group (my parents were A/Sers when I was a teenager, so some first hand experience). Anyway, we did NOT buy the A/S to gain membership into the WBCCI. We basically did nothing regarding WBCCI from last Oct (when we purchased our new Bambi) thru Jan, but I had been in email contact with the membership chairperson (younger couple with 10yr old son). I had expressed our many concerns and she ensured me that the N Texas Unit was in transition and there were quite a few non-retired members and the mix was changing toward a younger crowd. We were invited to join them at an upcoming Feb Rally that was to be held close by. As has been also pointed out the "newsletters" as well as the Blue Beret were not exactly "must read" material in our home, so we set our expectations pretty low. We dropped in on the Feb rally during the Sunday morning breakfast to meet the club members and arrived just as "devotion" was occurring. We had not been looking to join a church, but stuck around anyway to met everyone and found a really great mix of people. We then decided to join them at their March rally and have been to every rally since. The group has been very inclusive and the fact that we are two men could have really tweaked a few noses, but just the opposite has occurred. We found the same inclusive nature when we attended the Region 9 rally in April. In talking with members in other units, I am finding that the resistance to change is melting (face it, it is literally dying). Our unit has rewritten many of the old traditions. I have also found that is some of the older members that want the change as much as those of us a bit younger. Although I would not say that we exactly have open bar at rallys, there are nightly gatherings at each other's rigs where we sit around sharing good wine, beer, food and conversation. Rally locations and details are totally in the control of the hosting member. But then there is still the silly concept that breakfast should be a 7am, so more change is needed. I recommend that everyone thinking that they might NOT like the WBCCI to give it a try and don't be afraid to talk and find out what is really happening within the unit and realize that you may well be the change agent that a unit needs. Some of closest new A/S friends (1st VP in another unit) have told us that while change is coming, there are still many close minded individuals in the club resisting, so there will conflicts to overcome and strong voices reflecting differing views are needed.
The WBCCI is still a strong organization and although it certainly has some rough roads to travel over the next 10 years, I have no doubt that it will survive and evolve.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:37 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Devotions? DEVOTIONS! That settles it You have more in common with the WBCCI than We do.

All We wanted to do was be able to go somewhere with a group of Airstreamers.....we are not into Christmas breakfasts....

I think that we misunderstood what WBCCI is/was.

Kistler

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 06-24-2003, 04:50 PM   #79
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Smile Wait!

Quote:
All We wanted to do was be able to go somewhere with a group of Airstreamers.....
You hit the nail on the head. Many of the rallies offer a brief "service" on sunday morning, attendence is not mandatory and I have never heard of anyone being called out because they were not there. Some times we go other times we don't.

My experiece with the WBCCI is that the group is very patriotic, and has a strong belief in the traditional moral framwork. Think 1950's. A pre meal Prayer tends to be normal at group meals, but never in an overbearing way. The other thing to remember is each unit is diffrent. Our current unit, Florida Springs, is one of the more gregarious ones I have been in the company of. The Milwaukee unit was more laid back, but fun too. You may have to look a bit, but I am sure you will be able to find a unit that you feel comfortable in.

I was sorry to see another unit having to dissolve. Many times it is due to not being able to get members to assume the duties of officers. If you like the folks you meet, and you want to see change sometimes you have to grab the bull by the horns and do it yourself. I am assuming the office of Unit President next year, and I am looking forward to shaking things up a bit. please don't think that the WBCCI is a thinly guised tent revival, cause in most cases it is anything but.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:08 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I "hear" you new kid OK, have settled my feathers down here....was accustomed to a Kiwanis Club and we were "patriotic" and encouraged "moral" values .... We like organizations that do that....good thoughts, etc., but leave out the testimonials.

Kistler